The Playoff Blitz

BlitzBandit

Friend of CTG
it's playoff time... kicking things off with...

ATLANTA @ ARIZONA +2.5

( 3.3 to win 3 )

FALCONS:

The Falcons running attack has been their dominant force for the last seven weeks. They have produced 14 touchdowns on the ground and only 5 through the air in that span. Even though I think the Falcons should be able to run effectively here as well, I think they will probably pass a little more than normal this week playing against a Zona defense that has allowed a league worst 36 touchdown passes during the regular season. That’s nine more than any other team in the league. That’s also the most ever allowed by a division champion in the last 30 years. There have only been six teams that have given up over 30 touchdown passes in a season and made the playoffs. Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Michael Turner will probably all have a good game which is why this is expected to be a shootout. Matt Ryan has averaged 234 yards in his last 11 games, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go over 250 in this one. I’m still pretty stunned at how good he’s been as a rookie this year. The thing is, in the final three weeks, he has thrown for an average of 167 yards per game and has only two touchdowns with four interceptions and three fumbles. He was also sacked four times in that span. Still, he’s helped the Falcons win some pretty big games. They beat San Diego and Minnesota on the road and they stomped on Carolina pretty good at the Georgia Dome about a month ago. Arizona has been pretty good at times against the run, but Michael Turner should still be Michael Turner. Besides, the Cardinals have allowed over 180 rushing yards in three of their past five games and Turner in that same span has been tearing shit up consistently breaking tackles, piling up yards and punching in touchdowns. He's run for over 150 yards in two of his last three games and he's scored in seven of his last eight. No reason to think he’ll be stopped here. One of the little flaws Turner has is in his production as a pass catcher. He’s only had 6 catches for 41 yards all year.

CARDINALS:

Arizona didn’t play too well towards the end of the season, but they are playing at home here. During the regular season, they were ranked in the top 4 in both yards and scoring. The Atlanta defense they’ll be facing this week isn’t anything spectacular enough to stop that kind of force. The Falcons finished the regular season in the bottom 10 against the pass and against the run. But at the same time, only ten teams allowed less points than the them so they seem to have the ability of making stops at the right time and playing much tougher in the red zone. Still, the Cards should have success against this defense. Arizona was ranked last in rushing during the regular season, but Atlanta allowed 127 rushing yards per game in the regular season as well as 17 rushing touchdowns. So I think the running game should be able to work just as effectively as the passing game for the Cards in this one. But let's not kid ourselves, the Cardinals are a passing team and there are areas to exploit in Atlanta's secondary. The Falcons allowed 236 passing yards per game in the regular season. Arizona finished at 305 passing yards per game. Second only to the Saints. In their last 10 games, the Cardinals scored 19 tds through the air and only 6 on the ground. Atlanta is not a sock em’ in the mouth type defense that can shutdown Kurt Warner so I really doubt that happens.

Overview:

There is a reason the line is so high on the total in this game. I won’t mess with it, but I would lean to the OVER if anything. If you are going to be on the UNDER, it would probably be wiser to take it for the first half. Arizona is a team that has to warm up before it starts ticking. The Cardinals ranked 26th in their offensive DVOA production in the first quarter averaging 5.6 yards per play, but they ranked 4th for the rest of the game averaging 6.2 yards per play. That could be a scary thought for those taking the Falcons if this stays a close game going into the second half. Arizona's offense ranked second in the NFL during late and close situations while Atlantas’ defense was ranked 29th. Another thing to note is that Atlanta went 1-3 SU on the road against teams with winning records this year. I'll take my chances on that trend and on Warner at home here.

gl to all these playoffs... let's all make it a good one.

Good health my man. I'm sticking with Atlanta. I just think that they will come after Warner knowing that this guy sucks when he's rattled. The line has adjusted downward with the majority of the money still coming in on the Falcons and it hasn't changed yet. That scares me a little but I'm just going to trust my gut here. It's really the only favorite I like in this first round.

Good luck with the rest Blitz. I hope it's a great 2009 for you. :cheers:

add:

PHILADELPHIA @ MINNESOTA UNDER 41

( 3.3 to win 3 )

Philadelphia is coming off a 44-6 blowout win over the Boys, but their offense wasn't anything to get excited about. Three of their six scoring drives in that game began in Dallas territory and two of their scores were defensive touchdowns. Romo threw for more yards than McNabb and Owens was the leading receiver of the game. No Eagle receiver or running back had over a hundred yards in that game and McNabb threw for just a buck seventy five. The previous week the Eagles scored 3 points in what seemed to be a must win game at Washington. The Minnesota defense they will be facing this week has allowed only one opponent (Atlanta) to score at least 20 points in its final seven games. I don't see Philly getting over 17 pts here.

On defense, The Eagles have one of the leagues better squads (3rd in yardage, 4th in points) and they have been playing their best ball late in the season. Philly allowed only 5 offensive TDs in its final five games and an average of just 12 points per game. The Vikings had a must win situation last week against the G-Men and yet they couldn't get past 10 points til' New York pulled most of its starters in the second half and they got some help when a third string rookie cornerback (Terrell Thomas) fell down and gave Berrian the open field for the go ahead touchdown pass.

Adrian Peterson led the league in rushing and was extremely consistent with 10 games of at least 100 rushing yards and only one with less than 76. But when you try to think of the few and rare defenses that are capable of holding Peterson in check, Philly has to be one of those that come to mind. The Eagles are 4th against the run and they held 10 of their 16 opponents to 88 yards or less. They have also only allowed 7 rushing touchdowns all year. That's second only to the Ravens. They also did a pretty good job on Peterson at the Metrodome last season holding him to 70 yards on 20 carries (just 3.5 yards per carry). Against the pass, the Eagles rank 4th as well and that's not something Tarvaris Jackson wants to hear. Philly allowed only five quarterbacks to throw for 200 yards or more all season and two of those were in blowout Eagle wins.

The way I see it, this game should be a low scoring game. I think Philly is the better team as a whole, but Minny matches up well defensively against them. I don't think Minny has much offensively other than Peterson. I think both defenses come to play tonight.

Blitz, the Philly Dallas game is a little difficult to read into things. Too many turnovers by Dallas threw a wrench into the entire 2nd half. It almost became a bye week for the Eagles about midway thru the 3rd. Reid was not going to show a whole lot with key players.

nice work blitz - i hit those two plays as well

what do you think of our boys next week? i think we can do it, but not all that confident...

i will take a blowout loss in the NFC championship to beat the Birds next week...

okay... going to continue on this thread in hopes it becomes a 'lucky thread' for me... I need all the luck I can get.

Baltimore Ravens @ Tennessee Titans UNDER 34

(3.3 to win 3)

The Baltimore defense has allowed no more than 1 offensive TD in 13 of 17 games. Their offense has scored at least 3 TDs in seven of its last 11 games, but only one of those performances (Philly in week 12) came against a defense as good as the 7th ranked Titans.

The Ravens have arguably the league's best group at stopping the run (ranked 3rd), which is the one thing Tennessee does well (7th compared to 28th passing). Tennessee couldn't get anything going on offense until the final minutes of the week 5 meeting in Baltimore and I doubt they'll have much more success this week.

With the mentality that the first match between these two earlier this year already went UNDER this total, one would probably find it easier to think OVER in the rematch. Baltimore puting up 27 pts last week against a tough Dolphin defense on the road would probably add more fuel to the OVER fire. These are two extremely tough defenses. I'm allowing 1 offensive touchdown for each team and making room for a defensive touchdown in there somewhere. I really think it will be hard for either team to punch it in for 6 once they reach the red zone. I figure there will be more field goals than anything else. Going with the UNDER in this one.

The Spread:

I think Baltimore is the better team and has the better group on both sides of the ball. Tennessee always tries to settle with pressuring with just their front four. That works well for them, but Flacco struggles when blitzed, yet Tenny doesn't blitz much. Flacco can actually be pretty productive when he's not blitzed. Tennessee needs to attack him hard or he will get the ball moving slowly but surely. They did have 2 picks (and a 3rd overturned by review) in the first meeting, but all three of those picks came when Flacco was on the run. His first ten attempts in that game got nowhere for the most part. They were either incomplete passes or completions for very short gains that got nothing accomplished. Midway through the second quarter (after his first pick), they made adjustments and went from throwing mostly sideline passes out of twin receivers and trips sets to hitting slants down the center of the field. Once they started doing that, Flacco hit 10 of this next 13 attempts and was actually pretty productive. I think Baltimore has the ability to do more with the ball than the Titans do. The Titans rely on the run and that is the Balty defense specialty. I like that Tenny is at home, but I still think they don't matchup well enough. No play for me though.

hey there sammy...looks like your doing well =).....

just passing by on a random note.

Arizona to win the Super Bowl...

go SPORTSHARKS!

go SPORTSHARKS!
Holy ghost! Where have you been man? Stop by more often, we need a good line movement guy here. ;):shake:

Blitz...Good Luck to you. I hope you nail it. :cheers:

Good to see you rolling again this year, Blitz. Congrats on the early picks. I'm with you on the Ravens/Tits Under 34. I love unders in the playoffs. This could be one of those 12 to 9 ball games. Let's get 'em!!

Remember,

go SPORTSHARKS!

CLIFFY!... been awhile bud... wish we'd see you around more often on not just on a random note... either way though... great seeing you around and gl with them Cards... although, umm... (cough, cough)... GO GIANTS!.. haha.

Good to see you rolling again this year, Blitz. Congrats on the early picks. I'm with you on the Ravens/Tits Under 34. I love unders in the playoffs. This could be one of those 12 to 9 ball games. Let's get 'em!!

Remember,

Let's cash it bud... hoping for an an ugly, boring game.... haha.. :cheers:

GL blitz... Ugly weather in Tenny should help you.. Check out MCG's thread. Streakin is at the game site and has some pretty good updates

I'm allowing 1 offensive touchdown for each team and making room for a defensive touchdown in there somewhere. I really think it will be hard for either team to punch it in for 6 once they reach the red zone. I figure there will be more field goals than anything else.

:tiphat:

Today is the clash of two NFC East watchers. Me and my Eagles vs Blitz and his G-Men. As we know how things go in this division, rarely does any team beat another twice in a row, with the exception of the Skins knocking off the Eagles twice. We all witnessed what happened when the Birds paid back Dallas and the G-Men. That being said, the variable in today's match is that it's the third contest and the G-Men have the revenge advantage. In keeping with tradition, we should see two defenses blitzing early and often, keeping both QB's on the run all day. Translation - Under 19.5

There is one other variable in play today. I call him Chunky Soup. McNabb is a head-case and we won't know which one shows up until it's over. The G-Men should win this one goin' away in the 2nd half as Chunky Soup throws passes in the dirt and behind the receivers. I can't bet against my Eagles, so I'll just stick with the first half Under. If one side is dominating and has a 10pt lead at the half, I'll hammer the 2nd half under, as the dominating team eats clock. That's Clock for you degenerates.

One thing we can bank on is that the winner will go to the Big Dance. Because, it's defense that wins the big games, and both teams have the best in the NFC.

So, Good Luck, Blitzer, and remember.......

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants -4

(3.3 to win 3)

Been going through this game over and over. Mainly because I've been leaning strong on the G-Men all week long but I want to make sure I'm not just being a silly homer. I've already heard all the talk about Burress' success against the Eagles and how the Eagles can attack Eli without have to double any receivers and I've heard it all about the hype of how HOT the Eagles are. Thing is, I'm going back to the basics here. I have said from the beginning the Giants have always been able to get by with their blue collar hard working guys and I'm confident they can all step up again. I don't have time to go crazy with a long write up this time, but I think I got alot together to take the Giants here. Hate to rush things for a write up, but Giants it is.

If I had started my own thread with that 1st half under pick, the Giants wouldn't have missed that FG and I woulda lost. I hate this thread jynx

well, missed field goals and bad throws from the get go started showing what kind of game it was going to be... Philly came all out and did what they had to do.... I had Philly to take the division this year (in a preseason thread) and it seems they didn't, but they are the last ones standing from the Beast division... congrats to the Philly backers.

well, missed field goals and bad throws from the get go started showing what kind of game it was going to be... Philly came all out and did what they had to do.... I had Philly to take the division this year (in a preseason thread) and it seems they didn't, but they are the last ones standing from the Beast division... congrats to the Philly backers.

first half reminded me of the tennessee game. Too many blown opportunities and you can't win tat way in nfl playoffs.

nice playoff season so far blitz, keep it up.

updated:

Wild Card Weekend:

ATLANTA @ ARIZONA +2.5 W
PHILADELPHIA @ MINNESOTA UNDER 41 W

Wild Card Weekend:

Baltimore Ravens @ Tennessee Titans UNDER 34 W

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants -4 L

so fucking pissed...

was going to take Arizona and PIT this weekend... then Friday my internet went out (fucking Road Runner!)... was out all weekend til today... didn't even get to bet on anything much less post... FUCK!

ah well... glad to see the Cards make it though.

Super Bowl XLIII

Pittsburgh Steelers -6.5 vs Arizona Cardinals

5.5 to win 5

I was prepared to jump on PIT as soon as the Championship games were done. The line at 7 seemed a bit steep, but in the end, I don't see PIT not covering here. I think what scares me the most is that I'm really confident on this play. Sometimes being too confident makes it seem wrong. Still, I think all the Arizona January hype comes crashing down tomorrow. Bringing Fitz down to earth is going to be crucial here and even though Warner has been money against blitzes this year, I think PIT comes through. Lean to the OVER but doubt that gets anywhere for me. I just don't see Zona being able to do what they have done the last few weeks to PITs' defense. It stops here.

^^ ya think?

actually, waiting til the end cost me in the last round as my internet went out and I didn't post or play anything.... now that I'm on time, watch it cost me again.. hehe... usually how it works.

some of us sharks seem to be swimming in different waters in this game.

gl fellas :tiphat:

Back