The Pirate...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Think this deserves (unfortunately) a thread of its own...

Ominous rumors out there (airlifted to a hospital, on a vent for example).

Prayers up.

Sad news. He's a national treasure. Whatever anyone thinks about his coaching, he's a pretty interesting individual and his players seem to love playing for him and just being a part of his programs.
Just seeing the other coaches getting retweeted who said he has always had time for them, , some said he let them shadow him for a week, whether they were coaching in college or even high school

Guy just loves football and anyone else who does too

Just seeing the other coaches getting retweeted who said he has always had time for them, , some said he let them shadow him for a week, whether they were coaching in college or even high school

Guy just loves football and anyone else who does too

I can't imagine anyone not liking the guy. Again, coaching aside because we can all find fault with "coaching" (as if any of us know the reality of it anyway), he has always been a genuine guy who seems really interesting and someone you'd want to hang around with for a while. He seems like the everyday, common man who just happened to be a football coach. I'd take anyone and everyone's opinion who actually met, interacted with, and knew the man as opposed to some loser beta males (there is at least one on this site) who didn't like him for whatever ancillary reason they give to make themsleves feel better about themselves. But that's just me...or maybe it isn't?

On November 13, 2007, the Big 12 fined Leach $10,000, the largest fine in Big 12 history.[18] Leach also received a reprimand and was warned that further violations could result in suspension.[19] In a Big 12 coaches' conference call that day, Leach added that he did not regret making any of the comments.[20] Leach announced that he would appeal the fine.[21] Tech alumni and fans began raising money to aid Leach in paying the penalty in the event that it was upheld. Optionally, the proceeds raised could be used charitably.[22] So, just before Christmas 2007, Leach requested that the nearly $5,000 raised to that point be spent on 400 hams to be given free to families in Lubbock, Texas. Future donations were to go to the university or athletic department.[23] Following the 2008 Gator Bowl, in which Virginia scored twice on penalties against Tech for intentional grounding in the end zone, Leach joked, "I felt like we had a back there on the one safety, but I don't comment on officiating. I just give out hams is what I do."[24]

I have the sads. One of a kind. The best ones are rarely fully appreciated until they are gone. Praying for a miracle but sounds as though thats not in the cards.

My favorite feat of his was when he was with Oklahoma and intentionally planted a play sheet that a Texas assistant discovered and had the Longhorns clusterfricked for an entire quarter until they realized they were bamboozled. There was a segment done on it by ESPN and it was fantastic. Hopefully, someone can dig it up. National Treasure indeed.

What exactly happened? I can't see anything that confirms stroke, MI, etc. Thanks
From what it sounds like, likely had an MI and the resulting oxygen loss caused brain damage that may not be fixable. Unfortunately, pretty much everything out there is conjecture, but the MI/brain damage narrative fits the facts that we do know. Just a really sad circumstance

No coach changed college football more than he did during his lifetime and no coach was more entertaining.

I'm pulling for him, but it sounds like the odds are against him

Last edited:
To his critics : do you not understand what he did?

In the mid 80's -he's a lawyer with an interest in football - passing game specifically. He then decided this lawyer thing sucks, decides he'll coach -see how that is..... He knows zero about it - so he gets a 'sports science' degree - part time gigs at random JUCO's / small colleges - In 1989 he coached the Pori Bears in FINLAND - players smoked on the sidelines.

TEN YEARS LATER - he's the OC at Oklahoma.
ONE YEAR LATER -the HC at Texas Tech.

Not only this - he plays zero politics -did things 100% his own way. He's a genius - no two ways about it.

In the mid 80's -he's a lawyer with an interest in football - passing game specifically. He then decided this lawyer thing sucks, decides he'll coach -see how that is..... He knows zero about it - so he gets a 'sports science' degree - part time gigs at random JUCO's / small colleges - In 1989 he coached the Pori Bears in FINLAND - players smoked on the sidelines.

Not only this - he plays zero politics -did things 100% his own way. He's a genius - no two ways about it.
The 30 for 30 will be great

No doubt he's a genius. Oklahoma would never have won that national title without Leach. He not only put in the offense, he's the one who found Josh Heuple and brought him to Oklahoma.

Then he goes to Texas Tech--a have not school that was a fixture at the bottom of the league-- and is the best coach they ever had. Set the all-time wins record and the all time bowl-wins record. They've never been as good since he left

Goes to Wash State--another hopeless program--does another great job, gets them to a bowl every year except his first, goes 11-2 one year.

Goes to Miss State, another have not, worst situation in the toughest division in college football, and I have no doubt would have succeeded there

One of a kind

Damn ... that sucks. I had on Finebaum yesterday, the whole show was about him pretty much.

Never knew he played rugby at BYU for four years or that he got a law degree from Pepperdine. The Gulf South Conference is really what got me into football when I was a kid and he and Mumme went 40-17-1 from 1992-96 at Valdosta St. Also, they put out the the equivalent of a Heisman winner with Harlon Hill winner Chris Hatcher in ‘94. Hell of an offensive mind with an impressive coaching tree and great guy obviously from all the accolades. RIP

Perhaps someone we all took for granted because he always seemed to make average teams/programs be the best they could be. In todays world of flash and dash, big names, and power house programs he wasn’t at the top of anyone’s list during his time here with us. I believe he will be remembered as one of the greatest of his time down the road. Definitely a coach I admired and respected throughout his career. The end of the day that’s all any of us can aspire to.

It's not often a sitting head coach dies while still actively coaching. Pretty rare. Terry Hoeppner is the only one I can think of. There was a heavy football presence at his funeral. IU players held their helmets up in the air as the hearse drove past them.

Have there been many others?

Before this week ....

When talking to buddies / random cfb guys - a common response when Leach came up was the Craig / Adam James thing .... "well he did lock that poor kid up in that closet - clear abuse". NO, he didn't - it was made up / staged.

The allegations made headlines - I saw very few retractions - if so only a mention at the tail end of the story.

It would be nice to see this brought up - clearing his name ..... AND also paying his family the SALARY he is still owed FFS .

Knew a few of his former players - he was really a funny SOB with about 6/7 bourbons under his belt ha.

It's not often a sitting head coach dies while still actively coaching. Pretty rare. Terry Hoeppner is the only one I can think of. There was a heavy football presence at his funeral. IU players held their helmets up in the air as the hearse drove past them.

Have there been many others?

Randy Walker - NW coach seems like

TCU coach in the 70's died ON THE SIDELINE - Pittman

Before this week ....

When talking to buddies / random cfb guys - a common response when Leach came up was the Craig / Adam James thing .... "well he did lock that poor kid up in that closet - clear abuse". NO, he didn't - it was made up / staged.

The allegations made headlines - I saw very few retractions - if so only a mention at the tail end of the story.

It would be nice to see this brought up - clearing his name ..... AND also paying his family the SALARY he is still owed FFS .

Knew a few of his former players - he was really a funny SOB with about 6/7 bourbons under his belt ha.
Fuck craig james

Learned alot about him I did not know in the past few days. Always loved his sideline interviews.

A great loss.

I'm happy to see the tremendous response all over the country. Most of the ESPN shows had long segments dedicated to him and his death was covered by all three networks on their national news shows

He deserves it. No coach in the last half century influenced the game like he did. His contributions changed the game forever. Here are few.

1. Made the game more interesting for everyone who watches football on any level from junior high to the NFL
2. Did more to bring parity to football than any other coach when he showed have-not teams how to even the playing field with the elites who had far better talent.
3. Teams using the air raid--and there are a long line, just as there is a huge group of coaches who coached directly under him-- and are now winning at schools all over the country and beating superior teams, with better talent, in high school, college, and the NFL
4. Showed you don't have to have a 6-5 guy with a cannon for an arm and NFL potential to have a lethal passing game
5. Re-invented the slot receiver. How he was built, what he looked like, what was required to play the position, what he did, where to find them. He found guys like Wes Welker--not a single college offer when Leach signed him and made him a super star. Same with Danny Amendola. Almost identical to Welker in every way, including the super star part (he's second to Welker in career punt returns and catches at Tech and took over for him when Welker left the Patriots) They were both stars in high school, but no one wanted them. Leach loved that kind of guy.
Did it with WR too. Crabtree was a great QB in high school but his only offers were to convert to safety or linebacker. Leach saw him on film and immediately flew to Dallas and signed him to play WR. Two-time consensus all american, first round draft choice, great pro career.
6. He never coached at an elite school, but was so successful every football coach in the country had to change how they coach to stay in the business
7. Made 7 on 7 summer passing leagues the most important part of off season training for every high school in the countr
8. And carried all his offense on a tiny little piece of paper when lots of guys have two or three laminated sheets the size of serving treys.

He changed football dramatically, and for the better, and his influence will never die. Not many guys you can say that about

And the world won't notice it, but the guys on this board appreciate the fact he was one of the most reliable ATS the spread guys in history. You knew when to back his teams and when to pass. Guys on my ESPN Handicapper thread won on him week after week. He was the difference between win and lose for a lot of guys season after season. And over in his games was a money machine for years

No one like him

Last edited:
I'm happy to see the tremendous response all over the country. Most of the ESPN shows had long segments dedicated to him and his death was covered by all three networks on their national news shows

He deserves it. No coach in the last half century influenced the game like he did. His contributions changed the game forever. Here are few.

1. Made the game more interesting for everyone who watches football on any level from junior high to the NFL
2. Did more to bring parity to football than any other coach when he showed have-not teams how to even the playing field with the elites who had far better talent.
3. Teams using the air raid--and there are a long line, just as there is a huge group of coaches who coached directly under him-- and are now winning at schools all over the country and beating superior teams, with better talent, in high school, college, and the NFL
4. Showed you don't have to have a 6-5 guy with a cannon for an arm and NFL potential to have a lethal passing game
5. Re-invented the slot receiver. How he was built, what he looked like, what was required to play the position, what he did, where to find them. He found guys like Wes Welker--not a single college offer when Leach signed him and made him a super star. Same with Danny Amendola. Almost identical to Welker in every way, including the super star part (he's second to Welker in career punt returns and catches at Tech and took over for him when Welker left the Patriots) They were both stars in high school, but no one wanted them. Leach loved that kind of guy.
Did it with WR too. Crabtree was a great QB in high school but his only offers were to convert to safety or linebacker. Leach so him on film and immediately flew to Dallas and signed him to play WR. Two-time consensus all american, first round draft choice, great pro career.
6. He never coached at an elite school, but was so successful every football coach in the country had to change how they coach to stay in the business
7. Made 7 on 7 summer passing leagues the most important part of off season training for every high school in the countr
8. And carried all his offense on a tiny little piece of paper when lots of guys have two or three laminated sheets the size of serving treys.

He changed football dramatically, and for the better, and his influence will never die. Not many guys you can say that about

And the world won't notice it, but the guys on this board appreciate the fact he was one of the most reliable ATS the spread guys in history. You knew when to back his teams and when to pass. Guys on my ESPN Handicapper thread won on him week after week. He was the difference between win and lose for a lot of guys season after season. And over in his games was a money machine for years

No one like him
Great post

Back