• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

The new era is here... 12 Team Playoff...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member

So many kinks to work out.

It's time to abolish conference championship games. They are pointless with unbalanced schedules as is.

We talked when this schedule was released about the conflicts with the NFL.

One of the biggest things is the portal. I understand with semesters starting at certain times that plays a factor -- but we could see some interesting decisions with a playoff going till MLK day or later.

To the aforementioned portal -- what if Ewers had gotten hurt and they advanced? The backup already left the team. Yes, Arch, but that is still a major issue.

Back to the portal. They really need to refine dates, times etc. This is too wide open right now.

I love campus sites for Rd 1 but think maybe they need to do one more round on campus.

Eventually, with bigger conferences they need to go with the mega ones and then a seperate division of teams. Those schools (a Toledo for instance) would be able to fill the other bowl games.

A lot of work to do. I welcome the playoff more now than ever.

The new "normal" in a great regular season as the years advance will be 10-2 and 9-3. More professional types of seasons.

Thoughts?20240109_154122.png

It's insane to have college football's version of the draft (Early Signing Day) and Free Agency (portal window) occur between the last regular season game and the championship game. Yes, the semester system does make it more difficult, but it's not like most of these guys are expected to be serious students anyway, so might as well give them a little leeway when it comes to starting classes at a new school

It's time to abolish conference championship games. They are pointless with unbalanced schedules as is.

One of the biggest things is the portal. I understand with semesters starting at certain times that plays a factor -- but we could see some interesting decisions with a playoff going till MLK day or later.

To the aforementioned portal -- what if Ewers had gotten hurt and they advanced? The backup already left the team. Yes, Arch, but that is still a major issue.

Back to the portal. They really need to refine dates, times etc. This is too wide open right now.

I love campus sites for Rd 1 but think maybe they need to do one more round on campus.

Eventually, with bigger conferences they need to go with the mega ones and then a seperate division of teams. Those schools (a Toledo for instance) would be able to fill the other bowl games.

The new "normal" in a great regular season as the years advance will be 10-2 and 9-3. More professional types of seasons.

Thoughts?View attachment 80618

I'm all for a longer football season.

agree Conference Ships are obsolete. Probably keep them due to revenue - and maybe for 1st round bye purposes.

Congrats on Michigan. Played them O10.5 RSW but didn't take advantage of game spreads unfortunately. Just never got a feel for them because their schedule was so easy.

Harbaugh has gone from star to taking pay cut to star/legend. Sure Michigan would give him some of that money back now for him to stay.

So I hedged my sure winner Jags AFC South champ with Houston to win it - then hit Houston again to make playoffs - so worked out. But another big play loser for me. lol

It's insane to have college football's version of the draft (Early Signing Day) and Free Agency (portal window) occur between the last regular season game and the championship game. Yes, the semester system does make it more difficult, but it's not like most of these guys are expected to be serious students anyway, so might as well give them a little leeway when it comes to starting classes at a new school
The fact that we're even mentioning semesters and the academic side of this is laughable. They might as well make classes optional, that's how big of a joke "student athlete" has become.

Jan 20th is ludicrous

Only 5 weeks til the combine. Thing needs to start at least a week sooner, get rid of conf 'ships and start 2 weeks earlier

The fact that we're even mentioning semesters and the academic side of this is laughable. They might as well make classes optional, that's how big of a joke "student athlete" has become.
Agree. Maybe college got way easier haha. The UNC scandal was nothing. I think that side of things, academics, can barely be used when talking about this anymore.

Agree. Maybe college got way easier haha. The UNC scandal was nothing. I think that side of things, academics, can barely be used when talking about this anymore.
Feels like the NCAA is holding on for dear life at this point, can easily see a split in the next decade to where these programs become independent franchises. The sport is played that way already anyway

Jan 20th is ludicrous

Only 5 weeks til the combine. Thing needs to start at least a week sooner, get rid of conf 'ships and start 2 weeks earlier

I agree the more I think about it.

So pumped for those first round games next year, even last night seemed like 80% michigan and it just makes the game more exciting when its loud

Are the bowls rotating who gets which every year?

I'd say do rounds 1 and 2 pre christmas, but you'd have to make round 2 at home also, couldnt be a neutral site with a bowl that early I imagine

Its gonna be interesting how some teams handle the potential cold weather games

I.e Florida teams who are going to a b1g team in december for r1

Feels like the NCAA is holding on for dear life at this point, can easily see a split in the next decade to where these programs become independent franchises. The sport is played that way already anyway
College football needs to be treated differently than any other sport in the NCAA. Like Chip Kelly was saying a couple of weeks ago, it is stupid that UCLA and Rutgers will potentially have a midweek lacrosse conference game or whatever. College football needs a commissioner who acts in the best interest of the sport as a whole, rather than each school and conference fighting for primacy. If everyone pulls in the same direction, better decisions can be made that benefit everybody. I realize that there will be schools left out that are in the current model, but we are heading for a cliff and nobody seems motivated to do anything other than push the gas pedal down more

College football needs to be treated differently than any other sport in the NCAA. Like Chip Kelly was saying a couple of weeks ago, it is stupid that UCLA and Rutgers will potentially have a midweek lacrosse conference game or whatever. College football needs a commissioner who acts in the best interest of the sport as a whole, rather than each school and conference fighting for primacy. If everyone pulls in the same direction, better decisions can be made that benefit everybody. I realize that there will be schools left out that are in the current model, but we are heading for a cliff and nobody seems motivated to do anything other than push the gas pedal down more
Chip's idea is terrific and some of what he said I noted in post #1.

NFL light now.

i will watch much less reg season, will tune in, in Dec for playoff.

pretty much like i do with the NFL right now.

not a huge fan of 12 teams.

6 or 8 teams i would have liked, but 12 feels like a lot to me.

one very big positive for me is to see interconference B1G and SEC matchups now with the expansion.

that will be intriguing.

Should be interesting how short a leash these coaches get now. Getting in a 12 teamer, might be more NFL style where one playoff win only could get you clipped

Can teams be eliminated and replaced if their QB gets hurt after the playoffs start?

Thoughts? I hate it.

Back