The NBA All-Star Game is getting close to being as bad as the Pro Bowl...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Unless you won money tonight on the game did you really enjoy it?

This isn't a new thing with me but this game has gotten so lame, itis almost as tough to watch as the NFL Pro Bowl. I understand the no defense concept in ASG's but it has literally turned into like a Globetrotters type of thing.

I will sound like an old sour ass but man the ASG's of the 80's and early 90's were just awesome to watch. You got to see some razzle dazzle but also see the whole set of skills displayed. Obviously the key to many of those games were the guys who 'ran' it for the most part, Magic and Isiah. They made the whole flow go, etc. We just don't have those personalities now and I guess the game has changed.

I prefer an ASG that is like in the 250-270 total range. They WAY try and overdo things now. The spectacular plays should come more naturally. It is so 'forced' now.

Anyways, off my soapbox. Just a brief bit of looking back tonight brought one of the 'blah' ASG's of my youth that is 10x better than last nights version...

http://<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3qGk40wrjbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

think you hit the nail on the head with Magic and Isiah

5-10 years ago had Nash/CP3/Kidd, even guys who would play facilitator like Wade and LeBron, you need someone who can control the flow of the game

this current group of PGs are all 2s with ball handling skills, but there's only a few real facilitators and no one in the class like the guys above besides CP3

Never been a fan of ASG. Never watched it and doubt I ever will. This isn't a basketball in my eyes. It's a show and there are much better shows to watch...

At least the NBA doesn't decide Home Court advantage of the Finals with it's All-Star Game.

Agree in the 80's and thru the late 90's this was worth watching but I haven't watched it in more than 10 years.

I don't disagree that the ASG is a farce from a basketball point of view but, then again, that's pretty much any ASG in any league (with the possible exception of MLB). Second, not really fair to compare the current ASG with one 25 years ago as the offensive game has changed drastically over the past few years, with the league now guard and 3 ball driven. Look at some of the players on the 1990 ASG rosters (Parrish, McHale, Rodman) and realize those types of players (defense first) are no longer the norm. Plus, just look at the boxscore from that game:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_1990.html

The East attempted 10 3's while the West attempted 11. Last night, six different guys alone attempted 10 3's or more.

The times they are a changin'...

How much of the Kobe story played a part in the players not giving effort on the defensive end yesterday? Anything?

No nbafan, I dont think Kobe affected it.

Its a really fun pick up game with the best athletes. I have to have $ on it and luckily won all 3 of my plays. But there is zero D, it would be nice to see a little bit of defense. One of the announcers last night said, "at least just stay in front of the your man"

Welcome to getting old BAR, now get off my lawn!

Heard it somewhere, Dan Patrick I believe, that brought up a great point. Back in the day the East and West truly did not like each other. As with all sports and with free agency, that's changed it altogether. They're all pals now and as such the intensity doesn't exist.

I blame social media, it's the downfall of everything.

1st half was a joke, 2nd half was better. No reason to play matador defense though, that's just sad for the game.

Welcome to getting old BAR, now get off my lawn!

Heard it somewhere, Dan Patrick I believe, that brought up a great point. Back in the day the East and West truly did not like each other. As with all sports and with free agency, that's changed it altogether. They're all pals now and as such the intensity doesn't exist.
At least they used to play defense the last 6 minutes and compete to win back in the day. Last night it never happened. And shit they would still play some defense, like hakeem or David Robinson would block a dunk not just move outta the way like last night's junk even in the 1st quarter.

1st half was a joke, 2nd half was better. No reason to play matador defense though, that's just sad for the game.

Emoji!!!!!!

The effect of social media on sports is really interesting. So many angles. Could go on forever.

Seemed very normal to me. Little defense and lots of running. Advertisers loved it.

Back