The most lopsided game in NCAA history?

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
My brother in law was telling me the other day that teams used to run up the score back in the day. In fact some one told him that some team scored 200 on another team. I told him that guys is full of shit.

So I looked it up

Cumberland vs Georgia Tech 1916

Georgia Tech won 222-0

even more ridiculous is the boxscore to this game

Cumberland

Rushing 27 attempts for -97 yards 9 fumbles
Passing 2-18 14 yards 6 INT's

There longest play was for 10 yards on 4th and 22! Some say this is the only positive yardage they got all game

Georgia Tech

Rushing 40 attempts for 1,650 yards and 28 TD's
Passing 0-0 0 yards.

Georgia Tech also had nearly 500 yards in special teams
They had 12 defensive or special teams TD's

even more ridiculous is the boxscore to this game

Cumberland

There longest play was for 10 yards on 4th and 22! Some say this is the only positive yardage they got all game

Georgia Tech

Passing 0-0 0 yards.

Georgia Tech also had nearly 500 yards in special teams
They had 12 defensive or special teams TD's

I remember this game well...what the stats don't tell is the fact that Little Alphonse Capone laid a ton on GTech (-152)...them Cumberland boys were always a little shady.

Is Cumberland a girls school? A guys gotta think that even a mediocre high school team wouldn't allow that kind of scoring against a good college squad.

That's an entire season in one game. Holy s**t.

fuck .. im from Cumberland, MD.. .i hope thats not the same shit

There are Cumberland counties all over the south east, Bar, I'm sure you're fine.

You see, what had happened:

Cumberland decided to get rid of its football team in 1916, so without a coach or any players, it was the responsibility of the "student athletics director" to call each scheduled opponent for 1916, explain what happened, and get out of each contract. Everyone released Cumberland from their obligation, except for John Heisman, who made it clear that he wanted to avenge Georgia Tech's baseball team, whom Cumberland had beaten 22-0 earlier in the year, and Cumberland couldn't afford what it would've taken to get out of the contract, so the student AD got a bunch of frat boys up and off they went to Atlanta. What made matters worse for Cumberland is that Heisman heard that Cumberland had paid some "professionals" to come and play with them since they obviously didn't have an organized team. Whether they did or not is evidently still up for debate, but Heisman put an ungodly beating on them just to make sure.

You see, what had happened:

What made matters worse for Cumberland is that Heisman heard that Cumberland had paid some "professionals" to come and play with them since they obviously didn't have an organized team. Whether they did or not is evidently still up for debate, but Heisman put an ungodly beating on them just to make sure.

220-0, me thinks there were't too many pros on the 0 side of the sidelines

I great grandpa had the under in that Cumberland game.

:36_11_6:

my great grandad had cumberland +77.5...he still talks about how that first fumble in the 1st quarter. apparently it was a complete bullshit call that changed all of the momentum in favor of georgia tech

thats like 40 yards per rush...jesus..maybe thats who south canada is taking after the past few seasons

:36_11_6:

The halftime adjustment the coach should've done was to just take a knee, that way they would've only lost 150-0.

they were just trying to make a big impression on the BCS computers and jump some of the other teams to make it to a bowl game

From the game story page...

"The second half was cut short, by fifteen minutes."

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

There's no way this was a legit game, that much I do know. Capone obviously had a hand in fixing it.

he wanted to avenge Georgia Tech's baseball team, whom Cumberland had beaten 22-0 earlier in the year

Right - he thought they had used ringers. Thanks for that play-by-play. Very cool.

Back