The label "Quality Start"

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

A quality start is when a pitcher goes at least 6 and gives up 3 or less runs.

This # equals a 4.50 ERA which is not an impressive number for the most part.

Give me your thoughts on the label "quality start", is it really a QS? or should standards be higher?

The stat is pretty meaningless, imo. It really tells nothing and the numbers aren't impressive on their own.

Although I don't really follow it, game score for pitchers is much better.

It's a pretty unnecessary stat, but I take it as meaning a start in which the pitcher gives his team a reasonable chance to win the game. If your team is into the 7th within 3 runs, you got a shot. For example, Ubaldo Jimenez could stand to toss a few more quality starts. Or a quality start.

Quality start is pretty much meaningless in terms of trying to evaluate whether a pitcher is any good or not. I guess if you have enough of them then it tells people that you don't go out there and get consistently beat up, while pitching deep enough in the game show value getting the ball every fifth day.

I'm sure it's nice as a manager to know that you are going to get six innings and 3 runs out of a pitcher every time he takes the mound. Doesn't tax the pen and the players can relax and know they will most likely be in the game for the final innings.

From a capping angle the only thing I take from it is a consistency angle.

I think it's more than just numbers

It's not though. It's a real stat that is exactly what gyno said it is. 6+ innings with 3 ER or less.

I agree with many that it's pretty much a meaningless stat, but some fantasy leagues award points for quality starts. It made sense in our league to go to 7 points for a win and 3 for a quality start vs. 10 pts for a win. Wins are the most overrated stat for a pitcher, and it didn't make sense to award 10 pts for a win (especially if the pitcher didn't pitch well at all but was bailed out by their offense). At the same time, a pitcher who has a decent start shouldn't get 0 points because his offense did nothing to help him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back