"The Game"..Michigan-Ohio State Week and Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
72-72-4 (18.90)

Well, last week certainly sucked. The only thing to be proud of was the Scary-Florida hova. I actually capped that one right. ASU is a tough pill to swallow considering UCLA basically scored 6 points on offense but thats what happens sometimes. I dreamt about a KO return Tuesday night and sure enough. Special teams and fumbling going in hurts. Also looking at the gamelog it seems they made a 53 yarder before hal but they were at the UCLA 35 in 4th quarter and punted. Strange. Ah well. Ohio State has slowly bagn to show holes in the defense. I honestly don't get it. I really thought Tressel would make adjustments and they would roll. Juice had his best all around game ever and OSU couldn't take advantage of a very bad Illinois secondary. Michigan. I am just pissed. Not about the loss or anything but the shadiness with the injuries. Unreal. Tell me how Arkansas only scores 13 points against one of the nations worst defenses? Well.

I regress, its been an odd college football season to say the least. Its been exciting though as well. This week is one of the hardest cards I have ever seen. Nothing is played yet and I may just take the week off. My goals for the rest of the regular season are simple. Get some momentum and go into the bowls with a fighting chance of having a good season. Nothing will be forced though and I will be just happy being up money from here on out.

My only lean intially

Northwestern +13.5

I will discuss "the Game" a bit each day and post articles. Line opened 3-46 about what I figured. No idea what happens in this game.

Loving MSU bro. grabbed it at +3. not fucking with UM/OSU either based on injury status, who the hell knows...it changes daily and I don't trust Carr.

GL bro, a lot of people have had some bad breaks during this crazy season..but like you said, it has been exciting.

I also think this is a good week to do a few ML parlays with the top 5 that need to win out.

Loving MSU bro. grabbed it at +3. not fucking with UM/OSU either based on injury status, who the hell knows...it changes daily and I don't trust Carr.

GL bro, a lot of people have had some bad breaks during this crazy season..but like you said, it has been exciting.

I also think this is a good week to do a few ML parlays with the top 5 that need to win out.

The MSU-PSU game

Opened PK, was PSU -2.5 when I got home and now back to 1.5

I agree about the parlays bro. One of my first thoughts.

yeah, crazy movement....MSU is good in these spots traditionally, but this year who the fuck knows.

I do know after watching Kansas the last few weeks, that they are the best team in college football and will beat Mizzou and Oklahoma.

yeah, crazy movement....MSU is good in these spots traditionally, but this year who the fuck knows.

I do know after watching Kansas the last few weeks, that they are the best team in college football and will beat Mizzou and Oklahoma.
quite the statement.

we know all about PSU-MSU games in East Lansing and I do lean that way as well.

Tell ya what though Hunt. I like Kansas a lot but Mizzou will be tough...they will pass all-day. That may be one o the best CFB games of the year to watch coming up in few weeks.

It will be a great game. I just think they are a good all around team..they score in bunches and the D gets timely stops.

BAR, I am in complete agreement with you about this weeks card. It is by far the toughest we have seen this year. The linesmakers have it right it looks. Capped 24 games , have played none and only have one lean so far. The crazy thing is ..... it is northwestern !!!!!! so i am in agreement with you on that one.

ASU was a moose dude. I watched that game as a good friend had a bet on side and total in it where he managed a split. UCLA could do NOTHING on offense. You had that game capped absolutely correctly. I often hear people say that the right side is the side that cashes but we all know which was the irght side of that game as handicappers. Making the bet with the best value is all we can do ... we cant make running backs hold onto the ball at the two yard line ... we cant make special teams make a tackle ... or TWO !

the thread title confused me as i thought "The Game" was a reference to the Louisiana - Lafayette at Florida International affair........ but I guess a little information on ohio state at michigan isn't bad either.

I definitely like the Wolverines this week and will be looking to play them.

Again, Huntdog be careful with Kansas. I am telling you Mizzou is the better team. Mizzou should win that game by a td or better. I will be playing Mizzou regardless of the number. I am expecting Mizzou will be a small favorite in that game.

Mizzou has played by far the better schedule, and Mizzou is more potent on offense. Kansas has not faced a team that has a defense. Not saying Mizzou's defense is all that great, but they are a tad underrated. Mizzou is not really being talked about too much, but they in all reality had a very good chance to beat OU on the road. OU could not stop Mizzou's offense, the only thing that stopped them was their turnovers.

Mizzou has a stable of receivers for Daniel (Daniel is the Peyton Manning of NCAA - what I mean is he knows this offense inside and out and has been running it since middle school, he makes the correct reads and is so heady). Mizzou has a stable of recievers in Rucker, Coffman, Maclin, Alexander, Saunders, and Franklin.

I love Mizzou Sir, and have bet on them a few times this year with good results, but this Kansas team is legit as well. They cover every game just about. I think a lot of people will expect them to lose to Mizzou. I haven't looked over everything, the stats etc. obviosuly since it is almost 2 weeks away, but going to Manhattan and winning the rivalry game, going to Stillwater, and to Colorado..all tough places to play and winning is impressive.

let the smack talk begin ;)

michohiost.jpg

I like OSU here. I'm no fan of either team but think OSU is superior. I have not seen alot of Mich this yr, just the Oregon, MSU, and Wisky games and they are yet to do anything impressive in my mind. The defense for having a bunch of seniors (7?) is ehhh and they seem like they are slow to the ball. The discipline is not there either. To be fair to Mich here, having Hart and Henne out makes it real tough to win on the road but didn't like what I saw out of Mallett, although to his fairness as well, only a true frosh and not expected to be perfect. Look forward to some discussion this week with both teams coming off losses, should make an interesting game. I like the team with the better coach and defense here

Last edited:
The game that has come to haunt those who have struggled to win it had a haunting prelude for both teams.
Michigan hosts Ohio State at noon Saturday in the annual regular-season finale for the teams. They're both smarting from tough defeats.
The Wolverines (8-3, 6-1 Big Ten) saw an eight-game winning streak end with a 37-21 loss at Wisconsin while Ohio State's 28-21 home loss to Illinois knocked it out of the top spot in the polls.
The teams will play at Michigan Stadium for the outright Big Ten title and a trip to the Rose Bowl. Ohio State fell to No. 7 in the polls, and the Wolverines dropped 10 spots to No. 23.
"We'll be cool," said linebacker Shawn Crable, one of Michigan's captains. "The morale wasn't down in the locker room. We still recognize we've got a shot at it."
While the Buckeyes (10-1, 6-1) have lost the week before the Michigan game three times in the last seven years, they have beaten the Wolverines five times in six tries under coach Jim Tressel.
Michigan's alltime passing leader, Chad Henne, and its career rushing leader, Mike Hart, have never beat the Buckeyes.
Only the current fifth-year seniors who were around for the Wolverines' 2003 win know what it's like to beat Ohio State.
That Henne and Hart weren't on field in Saturday's loss raised some questions following the game. Henne, who has a slightly separated throwing shoulder, left the game after two series but was seen tossing on the sideline in the second half.
Hart, who has a right high ankle sprain, warmed up but didn't play. Michigan coaches insisted the pair wasn't being saved for Ohio State and said the two weren't well enough to play.
The loss didn't make a difference, regardless of what Ohio State did Saturday, in Michigan's opportunity to win the Big Ten title.
"Any time you play, you play to win, and we didn't win," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "Any time you don't win, you're disappointed. But we have some great things to play for. So that's what we have to do."
Saturday was far more costly for Ohio State. While Michigan was already well out of the national championship picture because of its two early season losses, the Buckeyes needed just two more wins to return to the Bowl Championship Series title game.
Ohio State's 28-game regular-season winning streak and a record 20-game Big Ten winning streak ended. Now it's playing for the consolation of a conference championship.
"Obviously, we can't erase how we feel about (the loss), but on the other hand, we know we have a big week coming up, and we've got to grow from this," Tressel said following the game.
Michigan's inefficiency on offense with rookie quarterback Ryan Mallett and backup running backs in the game wasn't unexpected, but giving up 477 yards to the Badgers was a surprise. Wisconsin quarterback Tyler Donovan ran and passed for a combined 294.
It left questions about how much the Wolverines wanted a game that wasn't as big as the much-anticipated matchup with Ohio State.
"No, I mean, we love to win at Michigan," safety Jamar Adams said. "You don't give wins away. We came in focused. I thought everything about our team was focused. We just have to go out and execute a little better."
Offensive coordinator Mike DeBord believes that confidence against Ohio State won't be a factor despite the team's struggles at Wisconsin.
"No way," DeBord said. "I think this team knows what this next game's about. They know the rivalry and what that's about. I don't think so at all.
"This team's fought all year long. And this team's gonna go out Saturday and fight."

uncle lloyd going out a winner before he announces his retirement next week?
Who really knows. If the guys are healthy OSU has shown some leaks in the defense. In all honesty the key matchup in this game is UM secondary against Robiskie IMO. The secondary has gottne better each week but this will be a test.

yeah...a toss up. If Henne and Hart are healthy I like UM but I don't think we will ever know how healthy they are....and with Carr's retirement plans hitting full force today I wonder what the player's mindset is.

I think Manningham will be the difference in this game. I just don't see any OSU dbs being able to cover his height and speed advantages. If Tressel goes with single coverage at all against him there will be problems for my Buckeyes. He is the difference in the game IMO, we either shut him down or we loose this one... Hart won't be a factor at all this game.

Great call on the UF/SC over...couldn't touch that one. I like Michigan at home with the points, but detail me on the injuries. Michigan St. is the only done deal I have for now +3 (2.5 units). Northwestern seems to give up the ball too much...not really a game that sticks out to me, besides the hangover affect, and lots of points, so that might be whatcha like...what are you thoughts on the pick?

Hoffa, its really tough to detail the Michigan injuries because we can never get a full report thats accurate.

I would say now that they most likely held Hart out on purpose. I mean, its sick to say and even believe but that was a throwaway game as far as winning Big ten. I don't agree with the philosophy whatsoever. Winning the Big ten is no accomplishment this year wthere if its tOSU or UofM that wins.

As far as Northwestern, just a lean. I doubt I play it and in fact I still cannot find a game on this card that I like. I usually can spot something quicker then again that hasn't gotten me too far as of late(lmao).

Wolves +4.5 juicy as a MOFO....both teams were in look ahead last week for sure, but I think the L deflates OSU and Boeckman much more so than UM, who has already dealt w/ crushing defeat this season and overcome it.

Game will def. be close...right? Seems real tough to lay more than 3 in this game.

Let's go back to August for a few moments.

To a quiet morning in Lloyd Carr's office, before Appalachian State instantly erased what had seemed like unlimited possibilities and put this University of Michigan football season into a bunker from which the coach and his players have never really emerged.
The Michigan coach was reflective, and we talked a lot about change, about how the college game treats the players better than when he was a quarterback at Missouri, but also about how unforgiving and all-seeing the media and Internet magnifying glass had become.
The coach was clearly waiting for the conversation to turn to his future, and when it inevitably did, he opened up as much as he ever has, sharing at least some of the reasons he might retire, if not the ultimate decision.
"I know what it takes ... in terms of the mental attitude, the physical demands, the energy and competitiveness, and I want to be fair to this program," Carr, 62, said. "Because when (those things aren't) there, I have got to know that, and at that point, I've got to stop. I've got to say it's time for somebody else who has what it takes. I've got to be honest with myself.
"I'm sure when I'm done, I'll look down and, God, I'll miss being down there. But there's more to the job than just wanting to be there. You've got to lead. You've got to be tough enough, and you've gotta be at your best. ... If my being here is more important than the program, then I haven't ... that's not right. That's not what I want.
I think the worst thing I could ever say to myself is that ... I didn't love this program enough to do the right thing."
As Carr spoke, it was obvious how tough this is for him. He loves this program. He loves this job. It won't be easy to leave.
But, on some level, he seems to know it's time.
It's a little odd to watch this week's frenzy over his potential retirement, because everyone close to the program has believed for months that Lloyd Carr is retiring.
You don't need CSI Ann Arbor to put the pieces together.
Last January, a Freedom of Information Act request by The Ann Arbor News revealed last January that Carr had changed his contract to ensure he'll get a $300,000 bonus even if he retires. This summer, the Detroit Free Press reported that, for the first time ever, Carr had negotiated two-year deals for his assistant coaches, which assures they won't be left out in the cold if a new coach brings his own staff.
So why not just admit it?
Because Carr is trying to exit in keeping with the principles he has preached to his teams - that no one is bigger than the program, that the kids are the story, not the coach. Turning this season into the Lloyd Carr retirement tour (win one for the glarer?), or this week becoming Beat-OSU-For-Lloyd week isn't in keeping with what Carr has stood for.
At the same time, he doesn't want to lie and give the impression he's returning, so we're all stuck playing a sort of kabuki theater - everyone knows what's really going on, but we ask the retirement question because we're professionally obligated, and
Carr answers as best he can, but never really answers.
A thousand or so miles away, Louisiana State coach Les Miles is stuck playing the same game.
The Michigan grad is coaching the No. 1 team in the country and is obviously going to at least get a phone call when Lloyd Carr retires, although nobody outside of athletic director Bill Martin knows whether that's going to be a courtesy phone call or a please-come-on-home plea.
If Miles says he's interested in the job, he's being disloyal to his team and disrespectful to Carr. If he says he has no interest, he's going to be seen by many Michigan fans as running down the school he claims to love.
So Miles, like Carr, continues to walk a fine line, essentially promising nothing, most recently on the Jim Rome show Wednesday, where he made it clear he has had no contact with Michigan.
"I am completely and 100 percent focused on the task at hand," Miles told Rome. "We play Ole Miss this weekend. The opportunities in front of my football team are great, and I'm not turning an eye in any other direction than the preparation for this football team."
When Rome asked Miles if he'll be at LSU next year, though, Miles would only say he's focused on the job at hand.
Which was pretty much the same answer Carr gave Monday when asked if he'd be at Michigan next year.
Will Miles be the next coach here if Carr steps down?
Not if Carr announces any time soon. Jilting LSU in the midst of a potentially championship season would go against everything Miles' mentor Bo Schembechler stood for, and it would be impossible for Miles and Michigan to both hold out for nearly eight weeks as the Tigers chased the title.
Carr knows that, so you can consider the date of his official announcement a bit of a referendum on whether or not he wants Miles to have a shot at the job.
If there is an announcement.
This hasn't been the season Carr or anyone else expected or wanted, and if he loses to Ohio State and wants to come back and try for a better ending, Martin and the people who run Michigan will be happy to have him.
It feels like it has gone too far for that, though.
That Saturday, for better or for worse, will be both an ending and a beginning, and the only things left to be determined is how happy an ending, and when the beginning officially begins.

The weekly game of knowing how much quarterback Chad Henne and tailback Mike Hart will be able to contribute for the University of Michigan might continue up until after Saturday's kickoff.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr wouldn't elaborate Monday on if the two will be on the field when the Wolverines get the ball for the first time against Ohio State.
"We'll have to see on Saturday,'' Carr said at his weekly news conference.
Carr held out Hart, who's healing from a right high ankle sprain, from playing during the weekend at Wisconsin after not liking how he looked in pregame warmups.
And it became obvious to the Wolverines that something was wrong with Henne, who has a slightly separated throwing shoulder, when he left a third-down pass to Adrian Arrington short on Michigan's first drive.
"Then he came back the next series, and threw another pass to Adrian that he just lost control of it,'' Carr said. "And it was pretty apparent at that time to him and to everybody that it wasn't going to be his day.''
Teammates, as they have said in recent weeks, expect the duo to play against Ohio State. Given the ailments that Henne and Hart have, it's hard to expect either to be at 100 percent by Saturday, but they add dimensions the Wolverines will be sorely missing if they can't play.
"Well, having Mike and Chad, they're great veteran players,'' left tackle Jake Long said. "They do everything right. They don't make mistakes, and they give everybody emotion - not only the offense but the defense.''
In addition to no update on Henne and Hart, Carr had nothing to add about safety and special teams standout Anton Campbell, who left the field at Wisconsin on crutches.
"Saturday,'' Carr said.

GameDay returns

After a four-year absence from Ann Arbor, ESPN "College GameDay'' will originate live from Michigan Stadium on Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon. The show was last in town for the 2003 Michigan-Ohio State game.
Since then, former Michigan star Desmond Howard has been added to the crew of Chris Fowler, Lee Corso and former Ohio State quarterback Kirk Herbstreit.
Herbstreit will call the game on ABC with Brent Musberger.
Logistics were still being worked out Monday, according to Michigan officials, but GameDay will likely be set up just north of the stadium gates and will also do some programming from inside the stadium.
ESPN's reports from Ann Arbor will begin appearing on its air Friday evening.
If Corso follows his routine, he will don either a Michigan or Ohio State headpiece just prior to kickoff to announce his pick for the game. A year ago in Columbus, he picked the Wolverines.

Hype machine

Will Johnson and Adam Kraus said they were already starting to feel the energy from fellow students on campus when they attended classes Monday morning. Players expect the hype over the game to only increase as Saturday draws closer.
"Even in class, anywhere you go, it's in the back of your mind,'' safety Brandent Englemon said.
Carr joked that the least enjoyable part of the week is his Monday news conference, but admitted he enjoys the hype and the pressure of the game himself.
"You know, this is part of the fun of it for the players, for the coaches,'' Carr said. "I mean, when you grow up and you're making a choice on where to go to school, a lot of times, particularly the guys that grow up here in the Midwest, because of the national exposure, this is what you do.''

Crable option call

Carr defended his behavior of going after the officials after Shawn Crable was given a personal foul for hitting Wisconsin quarterback Tyler Donovan as he released the ball on an option toss. Carr was concerned that if that play were run again, the Wolverines would continue to be penalized if they tackled the quarterback.
"That's an option football play,'' Carr said. "(Donovan) was not hit in the head. It was just a bad call.''

Television highlights

The Big Ten Network's "Greatest Games'' has the 1997 Michigan-Ohio State matchup at 8 p.m. today. HBO's documentary, "Michigan-Ohio State: The Rivalry'' debuts at 10:30 p.m. today, with repeats throughout the week. ESPN Classic's weeklong look at the rivalry picks up at 2 p.m. Wednesday with the 1981 game. It will show year's game at 3 p.m. Friday. Also on Friday, WXYZ-TV (7) in Detroit will air a one-hour "Bo Schembechler Remembered'' special at 9 p.m.

gl with kentucky BAR... georgia has struggled against pass first offenses on the defensive side of the ball.

very tough spot for the Cats I would like to see them go in there and not only compete with Georgia but also win the game. Pretty sure they will be lookin for some revenge after they watched UK tear down the goalposts on em last year. Line seems a little inflated but I am worried the Cats may not be able to hang around in this one. Hope you are right though...

As far as the game is concerned isn't it about time for Michigan to step up and put together a solid gameplan against Tressel. He has owned Carr for 5 of the last 6 years but it appears OSU has the better team on the field this year. Think if Hart can play I like their chances to atleast keep it close. Will most likely play the UM ml if I make a play at all.

GL this week

I have been really, really awful lately. For the right price, I could be persuaded to make a bet for Ohio St.

Any Buckeye fans, the offer is open to you as well. I'll listen to offers for me to bet Michigan.

Let the bidding begin!

I have been really, really awful lately. For the right price, I could be persuaded to make a bet for Ohio St.

Any Buckeye fans, the offer is open to you as well. I'll listen to offers for me to bet Michigan.

Let the bidding begin!

Okay,

Lets say Mizzou beats Kansas

Lets say LSU loses SEC championship game

lets say WVU loses to either cincy or Uconn

Other possibilities as well.

Basically OSU has a chance now to get to MNC Game again

Look, I'm almost GUARANTEEING a loss for the team I bet on here, people!!! I'm horrible!!!

Come on! How much do you want it!!! How much of a fan are you?

Let's get the bidding going!!!

BAR , wondering if you had any thoughts on oregon st at washington state this week. also .... any thoughts on usm at utep ? any input appreciated.

Back