The Friday Night Doubleheadeer

Dollaz

Pretty much a regular
Personally, tonight is the night that I've circled for the entire bowl season; 4 evenly matched teams squaring off on a Friday night, doesn't get better than that. As I've mentioned before, I am big into advanced statistics and sbnation does a great job, imo. (my rankings are based on F+/-)

Clemson vs. Ohio State:

Clemsons (15th ranked) biggest win was over 20th ranked UGA (when they were healthy); and has losses to the number 1 and number 14th ranked teams. Ohio State (5) lost to the number 9 team and beat 28 (Iowa), 32 (Michigan), 10 (Wisky)

Offensively, Clemson was ranked 17th and they are facing the 35th ranked defense. Based on adjusted line rank, Clemson has a huge advantage (22nd to 90th). Clearly, the Ohio State defensive line is bad, but some of that is covered up with the play of Ryan Shazier (22.5 tackles for loss). Surprisingly, Clemson should have the advantage running the ball, but the question for me is how the Clemson pass offense will do. Clemson gave up almost 3 sacks per game, which is close to what Ohio States defense got. Problem is even in passing downs, Clemson has a big advantage over tOSU. (20th ranked offense vs. 29th ranked defense) Now, adding injuries to the Ohio State defense, we should see some points scored by Clemson.

Offensively, tOSU was ranked number 2 and they are facing the number 15 ranked defense. Simply put, tOSU has either the best or 2nd best run game in the nation. They do it in a variety of ways as they can use speed, power, QB runs....wherever they find an advantage. Going back, the run defense of Clemson fared well against FSU, but did not contain Georgia. Clemson's defense is a big play defense as they get you with stops in the backfield and sacks. tOSU simply cannot get behind in this game or it could get ugly for them. They aren't a terrible passing team, but the success is largely correlated to the running game. They also aren't very good at protecting the QB, which is scary facing the number 5 ranked team in terms of adjusted sack rate. On passing downs, when they can pin their ears back, Clemsons sack rate is number 3 in the country.

Where the biggest advantage on the field may be? Special teams. tOSU was ranked number 7 in average starting position, while Clemson was ranked 56. No big advantage in fg effeciency, but tOSU has a huge advantage is KO return, Punt Return, and Kickoffs. tOSU could have a big advantage in hidden yards.

Interesting stats to consider:

tOSU- averaged 16.9 points in the first quarter this year and Clemson averaged 4.2 points given up. On average tOSU had a 12 point advantage after the first quarter.

My Prediction:

Obviously, this isn't rocket science from me, but this game comes down to how tOSU's rushing offense fares against Clemson. If they can be successful and there is every reason to believe they can, they can keep Clemson off balance and avoid obvious passing situations. They average 7.1 yards per rush on the season and the advanced statistics back them up in terms of rushing success. If I'm backing Clemson, I'm concerned tOSU comes out on fire, pissed off over their loss to Michigan State and they continue their run of destroying teams in the first quarter. They get up a td or 2 in the 1Q and can continue to just run the ball and destroy the will of the Clemson defense, it's going to be a long day for Clemson. Furthermore, if tOSU is able to make some plays on special teams, another big advantage they have, then it could be game over for Clemson.

My biggest concern though is the injuries to an already below average tOSU defense. To be honest, there are enough question marks that I probably wouldnt bet this game if it was a regular season matchup, but come on, what else would I do on a Friday night with two, top-15 teams? I want to back Clemson, I really do, but the run game and special teams scare the shit out of me.

This is a lot of points, my gut says under; my head says over. I think tOSU moves up and down the field and scores some points. I think special teams will give them the ball in favorable spots and they can utiltize the nations best run game. Clemson, OTOH will be playing catch up.

Over 70.5
1Q tOSU -0.5/over 14.5 parlay +334

Last edited:
Oklahoma State vs. Missouri:

11th ranked Ok State vs. 17th ranked Missouri.

Ok States 27th ranked offense vs. Missouri's 12th ranked defense. The interesting thing about Ok State is they aren't that impressive on a down by down basis (44th in standard downs, 47th in rushing, 80th in adjusted line yards). They have little success power running. But, they do hit you with big plays. (27th in explosive drives) Ok St allowed a sack in only 1 out of 44 pass attempts while the 4 best pass rushers for Mizzou combined for over 50 sacks. Ok State gets this down by hammering teams with screens, bubbles, draws, etc. Going through, Im not all that impressed with Missouri's defense, I think their greatest strength is neutralized by OK States scheme. They aren't going to take a lot of sacks and prefer to get the ball out and in the hands of some playmakers. Missouri's run defense isn't the most impressive to me as they gave up 4.2 ypc and 150 yards rushing per game. We saw what Auburn did, but that Ok State doesnt compare. However, OK State had some games where they just pounedd teams in the run game (iowa state). Pass defense wise, they give up 63% completions, but do limit the attempts to 6.5 yards per attempt. This tells me the key tonight is that when Ok State gets the ball out and completes passes, what do the playmakers do after the catch?

Missouri's 22nd ranked offense takes on Ok States 8th ranked defense. I think Ok State has the advantage here. There run defense is legit and will be the best Missouri has faced. I expect Missouri to pass early and often and use first down to try to take shots in the passing game. Ok State, OTOH doesn't get much pressure on the QB so I do think Missouri can have some success through the air. OK State will be able to stick Gilbert on one of the big receivers, but how much success with Franklin have with the others? Ok States passing down defense is ranked 12th so Missouri doesn't want to get stopped on first and 2nd down and try to convert in obvious passing situations.

Ok State was 11th in average field position while Missouri was 20th. Ok State's punting game is bad, but that may be offset by Missouri's bad punt return game. Not a big difference in kickoff coverage for either team, but Ok State is 6th in the country in KO returns vs. a KO coverage of Missouri of 63. That is a red flag for me if we don't see touchbacks.

My Prediction:

Interesting matchup because it's strength vs. strength. Ok State keeps its QB from getting sacked, Missouris biggest advantage is getting after the QB. Missouri has a very good run game, but they are facing the best run defense they will face. If Ok State loses the battle in these two spots, they are done. Better offense (Mizzou) vs. better defense (Ok St). Does that mean it comes down to Ok States offense vs. Missouri's defense? If so, who wins that battle? I think Ok State. Old conference rivals and I think OK State may feel Missouri thinks they are better than the BIg 12 by moving to the SEC.

Ok State -1.5

Thanks bud. As for josey he doesn't carry the rock 20x per game. Hes gonna need to average >5 ypc vs a legit run defense to beat me.

I like ODU as well. Better team than there record and better than I expected this year. Mason cant score. Losses have been close games and generally on the road.

Silky- thoughts on Skins coach? Im warming to thos Dallas special teams coach. I know there teams won them 2 games vs us this year. Read what Lynch, Brooks Sapp have to say about him from Tampa.

Also, im not a head coach needs to know xs and os guy. Give me someone that the guys can got to war with, can handle media, and knows how to manage the game. Hite coordinators for xs and os

Back