The Donald Sterling Ruling Today

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
No legal expert here. What to expect next? Being forced to sell a business just never sits right with me. I understand the circumstances of what happened, but .....

It just seems crazy that this can happen...whether he said he wanted to fuck my mother or yours...

So I guess i am confused as why a judge is needed/ or if this was an owner deal that they have in their laws to defer to..

It's like an HOA

Your property, even though you own it, is completely relevant to the properties around it

Love it or hate it, you signed up for it

The ole mantra I say....

This is a free country and you can say what you want. BUT there could be consequences.

I think VK had a decent take on this and the Ray Rice situaton.....

But as far as this goes, I assume the NBA is a club and they can kick anyone out at anytime. Which is why I assume Mr. Cuban said what he said. It certainly brings up an interesting discussion either way regarding ownership and the forcing of a sale.

Getting this discussion on a high level would intrigue me as far as the legal aspect, but I doubt any of us are qualified to do so.

Either way, very interesting to see the end and final result.

It's like an HOA

Your property, even though you own it, is completely relevant to the properties around it

Love it or hate it, you signed up for it

Could the HOA MAKE someone sell their house? I am sure that varies from deal to deal...

First guy ever to lose a court ruling and collect two-billion, I'm guessing.

Well I don't know if HOA could ever make someone sell their home, but if it was written into the bylaws and you purchased a home there, then I would guess the answer to be yes

The NBA has a constitution and this seems to fall into it. The way I understand it, they can't force him to sell per se, but they would be voting to contract the Clippers organization, which is in the bylaws. And a contracted franchise isn't worth too much.

My guess is if they voted to contract if he doesn't sell, they would just expand and add another team to LA...so he's pretty much stuck.

I just hate the precedent.

Free speech does not mean speech without consequence. I will always say that.

Of course, he was saying this in what he thought was a private conversation .. let's all imagine what our bosses might think of us if they heard all of our worst comments in private conversations.

Again.. Kobe rapes a chick and you sell his jersey to kids ... Sterling makes a racist comment while in the state of Alzheimers according to the court and he loses his team. Adulation for one and outrage for the other. I could use other examples but the kobe one fits well ... since the fucker had the balls to actually tweet that he couldn't play for Sterling ... nothing like a rapist getting on his moral high horse.

Sterling is an asshole, so I won't cry for him .. I just don't like the underlying precedent of stealing peoples property for what they think.

Of course, he was saying this in what he thought was a private conversation .. let's all imagine what our bosses might think of us if they heard all of our worst comments in private conversations.

Again.. Kobe rapes a chick and you sell his jersey to kids ... Sterling makes a racist comment while in the state of Alzheimers according to the court and he loses his team. Adulation for one and outrage for the other. I could use other examples but the kobe one fits well ... since the fucker had the balls to actually tweet that he couldn't play for Sterling ... nothing like a rapist getting on his moral high horse.

Sterling is an asshole, so I won't cry for him .. I just don't like the underlying precedent of stealing peoples property for what they think.

the only precedent being set is that when you enter into a contract with the NBA, they can enforce that shit. that's it. this has nothing to do with forcing a sale of private property because he said some dumb stuff. it has everything to do with good ol donald signing an agreement with the NBA. a contract that said he can't cost them money, fuck up the brand, etc. well, he's costing them money and they enforced the contract. i can't understand why this is an issue with anyone, dude signed a contract and the contract got enforced.

how many times have we sat back and bitched about players holding out for a contract extension while they are currently under contract? but it's OK for donald to try and break his contract with the association? i don't buy it.

the only precedent being set is that when you enter into a contract with the NBA, they can enforce that shit. that's it. this has nothing to do with forcing a sale of private property because he said some dumb stuff. it has everything to do with good ol donald signing an agreement with the NBA. a contract that said he can't cost them money, fuck up the brand, etc. well, he's costing them money and they enforced the contract. i can't understand why this is an issue with anyone, dude signed a contract and the contract got enforced.

how many times have we sat back and bitched about players holding out for a contract extension while they are currently under contract? but it's OK for donald to try and break his contract with the association? i don't buy it.

:shake:

Unless he himself or someone else can make the case that in signing that contract he was being deceived as to what he was actually agreeing to, Donny doesn't seem to have many grounds for complaint - at least w/how the NBA has acted. The legitimacy of his beef with how his privately expressed views made their way into the public realm is another story; but even there one might simply say, karma is a bitch (quite literally so, in the form of a supposedly wronged gold digger).
Plus it looks to me like his stomach had had its fill of the NBA anyways...

View attachment 36504

Different commissioner, one without the balls to step up and do something about it.. Give Silver some credit-- no hesitation, working with-in the by laws of an association that Sterling had agreed to.

Back