The Demise of the 49ers

TheHbomb

Pretty much a regular
Haven't checked the NFL page in a while, and probably won't much this year. Got married, have a baby on the way, built a new house....so will be out of action betting wise for the most part for the forseeable future for the first time since I was a teenager.

As some of you know, I am a Niners fan. I have followed the team closely since I was a kid. Other than the obvious arrests, injuries, etc., this team is a team heading for a terrible season. There is very real turmoil with Harbaugh and the front office and I would be shocked if he is back with the team next year...very shocked. Besides Boone, who was holding out, until today, the line has looked like a mess, Kaepernick has not looked good (and beware of a player after getting a big payday). Several other players like Vernon Davis want extensions, more $$$. This has all the makings of a locker room and team in dysfunction and a downward spiral. The defense is an utter mess with injuries, suspensions...

Finally, and most importantly, it is very hard for a team to getting off the mat, year after year. I don't see how this team has much in the tank this year. The division will be tough again and the is little differentiation in the NFL.

I think points are going to be scored in bunches against the niner defense this year and from a betting perspective, I would look hard to the overs in their games as I think with their receiving corp. they can put up points still if behind (e.g., not running between the tackles as customary). I won't be surprised if this team only wins 7 games this season. I hope I am wrong, but that is how I see their season shaping up.

Early in the season, I think there is a lot of value betting against them and taking the overs in their games.

Just thought I would pass along my $0.02.

:shake:

:shake:

thought it was very telling that the total was set over 50 @ Dallas...sf otr only got over that number once last season

Congrats on the baby. Will change your life for the better, and worse haha....I kid.

Great stuff thanks for the post:shake:

congrats bro..I think you're right..I know COlin been partying in Vegas all summer long.

I don't even know what the cowboys TT is today, but I have to think its a very, very good bet to go over.

Say it ain't so, H-Bomb. I really hope you're wrong, too. You can't foresee Harbough proving to the front office that he deserves a big, new contract? I know the injuries and suspensions will not help. But, they are pretty deep along the front 7. I can see the secondary needing some games to gel. But, Brock has shown that he is a gamer. I just hope Culliver doesn't get burned as much as he did 2 years ago. Congrats on all your changes. Little ones definitely make life a lot more interesting.

I just heard a report about Harbough possibly disrespecting players and possibly losing the locker room. If they lose to the Cowboys, their season just might turn out to be what you predict.

I just heard a report about Harbough possibly disrespecting players and possibly losing the locker room. If they lose to the Cowboys, their season just might turn out to be what you predict.

and the Harbaugh to Michigan rumors will be in overdrive

and the Harbaugh to Michigan rumors will be in overdrive

Very doubtful this happens IMO. Harbs is under contract through the end of next season and the Niners know he'll be sought after. I also think he wants to stay in the NFL. I think the Niners will end up trading him in the offseason.

Jim not going to Michigan. He will be in Miami before Michigan..Dolphins..Ross connection. Dude wants a SB.

John more likely to be in Michigan than Jim.

Very doubtful this happens IMO. Harbs is under contract through the end of next season and the Niners know he'll be sought after. I also think he wants to stay in the NFL. I think the Niners will end up trading him in the offseason.

why hasn't there been an extension? Has Harbaugh balked at that?

Niners 8-1 w/ Crabtree playing last season only losing @ Seattle to end the year. And their best defensive player is and always has been Justin Smith.

There's no demise coming but there may be value going against them. But it's not like they are replacing these guys with guys off waivers. They've had DD picks every year.

Well if Hoke doesn't win 9 and beat the Suckeyes we will take him off your hands

this may happen. i have a bro who does work up north and personally knows harbaughs financial advisor, his last name is hanson. and he said harbaugh will be buying the house next to him when or if a. 49ers win super bowl this year b. he takes michigan job....dude is also friends with hoke and well connected in mich program and hoke does not get along with AD, which we knew, but that he must win at least one of three or he is gone (ND BRUTAL LOSS, Ohio St, MSU) and even then team must show major improvement. Personally, the writing is on the wall with Harbaugh's contract situation and Hoke's ineptness, Jimmy will be michigans coach next yr. I can only hope.

Harbaugh has been rumored to want more control.

yeah I've heard that, which you can get at a big time college football program, some NFL teams.

With what Hunt said above about the Dolphins, I assume that is what Ross would offer him

Niners not gonna fire him, they will trade him. He's got 2 years left. Dolphins sounds right. They can't trade him to NCAA, nor do I think he wants to be there.

I feel a little better about the 9ers after today. At least no timeouts burned because the play clock was running down.

I am a bit bummed they didn't put up points in the 2nd half and Murray ran wild but I think that was more of a result of the defensive game plan vs. Dallas.

TBD. I'm not sure anything can be gleaned after this game, other than Dallas is a complete mess and Carlos Hyde looks like an absolute beast.

Kap looked amazing I thought in the 1h and Hyde is a beast. Boldin gets better with age. The defense is a ? mark but showed ability to make plays. Should be 2-0 after a home game vs Bears next week and all will be well.

Kap looked amazing I thought in the 1h and Hyde is a beast. Boldin gets better with age. The defense is a ? mark but showed ability to make plays. Should be 2-0 after a home game vs Bears next week and all will be well.

they just need to be 6-3/7-2 when they get bowman and smith back...they got no pressure on romo and that's where Aldon comes into play...

typical niners though under...get out to a big lead and let off the peddle..Didn't like their second half..Dont' think you need to lloyd on the roster either at this point

Frank Gore not talking to reporters upset at how he was used today; only 10 carries. Not good. I'd say its a must win next week against the Eagles.

If they keep playing like they have all season, SF first half, Philly second half. Philly will score points and the 49ers lamebrain penalties will keep drives alive. This team looks totally undisciplined.

If they keep playing like they have all season, SF first half, Philly second half. Philly will score points and the 49ers lamebrain penalties will keep drives alive. This team looks totally undisciplined.

Undisciplined is being kind. A head butt on first and goal down by 6 in the second half? Idiots. I still maintain they'll be lucky to win 8 games.

ready to join you here, but with my team

can't understand it

Yeah, thought for sure your boys would blow Minny out of the water today. Was almost sure of it. Covered the 10.5 but, I thought 34-10 type score. Didn't look impressive at all, especially against a rookie QB getting his first game action.

my man the bomb whats happening good to see you back in the CTG forum bol my brother:beer4:

Well this doesn't help matters:

[h=1]Jerry Rice: Jim Harbaugh is gone, and it’s affecting the 49ers[/h] Posted by Michael David Smith on November 4, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
jerryricegetty.jpg
Getty ImagesJerry Rice, the Hall of Fame former 49ers receiver, thinks Jim Harbaugh is heading into his final eight games as the head coach in San Francisco.
Asked by Sports Illustrated if Harbaugh will remain with the 49ers beyond this season, Rice answered, “I really don’t think so, I think he’s gone no matter what happens this year.”
Rice added that he believes the players will be influenced by doubts about Harbaugh’s long-term commitment, even if everyone insists that they’re totally focused on the task at hand.
“Maybe that’s starting to wear and tear on the team and it’s taking its toll,” Rice said. “The team, they try to say, ‘Well, we’re not affected by it.’ But you are.”
On PFT Live today, Rice said the 49ers are playing with no confidence.
“It’s up to the players to re-focus,” Rice said.
Rice sounds like he thinks the coach is focused on getting another job two months from now.

No offense to niners fans but I hope they never win another game this year and the dolphins win every game.

I changed my mind...considering josh McDaniel as your head coach is rock bottom.

Btw- my preseason prediction of 7 wins is still in play...unfortunately.

I changed my mind again...rock bottom still hasn't happened... But it's quickly coming into focus.

Iupati is a big loss, but Borland, Hyde and Torrey Smith should fill the voids left of the others. The issue still with SF is whether Kap is a good QB or not.

Iupati is a big loss, but Borland, Hyde and Torrey Smith should fill the voids left of the others. The issue still with SF is whether Kap is a good QB or not.
Borland fills void of Patrick Willis? Couldn't disagree more. Frank gore will be missed, more so from a leadership perspective. Niners are in big trouble; make no mistake about it.

Borland definitely won't be filling Willis' shoes now.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...er-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

[h=1]SF's Borland quits over safety issues[/h]Updated: March 16, 2015, 9:59 PM ET
<cite class="source">By Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru | ESPN.com</cite>

<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.
Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.
"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."
Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.
[+] Enlarge<cite>Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images</cite>Chris Borland prior to the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Levi's Stadium on Nov. 27, 2014.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been, for me it's wanting to be proactive," said Borland. "I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."
Borland was expected to be a key part of the 49ers defense this season after the retirement last week of All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis. Borland replaced Willis, 30, after six games last season; Willis had sustained a toe injury.
Willis' retirement had no role in his decision, Borland said.
Borland said there was no chance he would change his mind. The third-round draft pick who starred at the University of Wisconsin said he has had just two diagnosed concussions: one while playing soccer in the eighth grade, the other playing football as a sophomore in high school.
Borland, who is listed at 5-foot-11, 248 pounds, earned accolades for his aggressiveness and instincts at inside linebacker. He had 107 tackles and a sack in 14 games, eight of them starts. He was the NFC's defensive player of the week for his performance against the New York Giants in Week 11. He led the team with 13 tackles in that game and became the first 49ers rookie linebacker in history with two interceptions in one game. He received one vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.
His success last season did not make his decision more difficult, Borland said: "I've thought about what I could accomplish in football, but for me personally, when you read about Mike Webster and Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling, you read all these stories and to be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I'd have to take on some risks that as a person I don't want to take on." Borland was referring to former NFL greats who were diagnosed with a devastating brain disease, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, after their deaths. Duerson and Easterling committed suicide.
Borland said he began to have misgivings during training camp. He said he sustained what he believed to be a concussion stuffing a running play but played through it, in part because he was trying to make the team. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'"
He said the issue "gathered steam" as the season progressed. Before the fourth game of the pre-season, at Houston, he wrote a letter to his parents, informing them that he thought that his career in the NFL would be brief because of his concerns about the potential long-term effects of the head injuries.
After the season, Borland said, he consulted with prominent concussion researchers and former players to affirm his decision. He also scheduled baseline tests to monitor his neurological wellbeing going forward "and contribute to the greater research." After thinking through the potential repercussions, Borland said the decision was ultimately "simple."
He said part of the reason he waited until now was because he wanted to inform his family and friends, including a few 49er teammates. He said he also wanted to have time to contact the researchers and study the issue further.
Borland, who earned a bachelor's degree in history at the University of Wisconsin, said he plans to return to school and possibly pursue a career in sports management. He had a four-year contract with the 49ers worth just under $3 million, which included a signing bonus of $617,436.
The decision to retire had nothing to do with the 49ers, Borland said. He said that his feelings toward the team and his teammates marked one of the hardest aspects of the decision.
"It's an incredible organization, and they truly looked out for players' best interests," he said.
Borland is the fourth NFL player age 30 or younger to announce his retirement in the past week. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, said he retired "after much thought and consideration" to pursue "other interests." Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, said he left the game because he no longer had "the burning desire necessary to play the game for a living."
Willis said he retired due to constant pain in his feet, among other reasons. He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Nov. 11 after getting hurt on Oct. 13.
Borland had a decorated career at Wisconsin, where he was named the Big Ten's defensive player of the year and linebacker of the year as a senior. He was a first-team All-American selection and multiple recipient of All-Big Ten honors.

I started this post less than a year ago and after Aldon Smith being released today, I hope this is the last post I will make in the thread. I can't ever remember a sports organization having a worse off-season than the 49ers have since the end of last year.

Back