The Challenge TDs Rule

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
Man. I know this happened today and to Mike Smith with ATL last week. Is this not the dumbest rule out there?

Let us just say today's example. Since the whole world saw that he was down, could Kubiak's guys in the booth techically buzz down to him and say, " Hey Gary our player was definitely down. Throw the challenge flag and eat the 15 yd penalty. That way they cannot review the play"

I know it sounds far fetched but is that the rule. How stupid is this?

Also if every TD/score is reviewed....wasnt there one recently in an NFL game(goal line run) that was very questionable and didnt get a review? Think Steelers but not sure.....

Either way what a bullshit rule....get the fuckin call right first and foremost

E

Terrible rule, if it was properly interpretted. How many times have wee seen a coach throw the flag and then the ref gives it back to him and says, "you can't challenge that, dumbass."

Terrible.

I highly doubt that throwing the flag can work in your favor. I view the current rule as like a tax on stupidity. Schwartz is a grade A dipshit (as evidenced further by his play for a 48 yd FG strategy in OT) so I kind of like how it went down today.

the whole lions organization is grade a dipshit...they find ways to lose every year almost.

It's a stupid rule, I hope they change it at the end of the year. Give him the 15 yd penalty for throwing the flag unnecessarily but DO INDEED still review it.

But Coach Schwartz is a dumbass though. Guys like us on a forum don't need to know the rule but when it's your job as an NFL head coach, you better know this shit. Especially when it happened the week before. He has nobody to blame but himself.

Ridiculous rule to be sure.

The silver lining here is that it happened in a nationally televised game on thanksgiving. Enough talk and hype will be generated to ensure this rule is changed in the offseason. Maybe even before.

It's a stupid rule, I hope they change it at the end of the year. Give him the 15 yd penalty for throwing the flag unnecessarily but DO INDEED still review it.

But Coach Schwartz is a dumbass though. Guys like us on a forum don't need to know the rule but when it's your job as an NFL head coach, you better know this shit. Especially when it happened the week before. He has nobody to blame but himself.

The league is going to "immediately review" that rule. It sounds like they will be changing the rule before the end of the season, if not before this week's games. What I don't understand is why it wasn't immediately reviewed when Mike Smith had the same thing take place in a game last week, as Twink pointed out.

It's a tough call for me on the coach throwing the flag and drawing the penalty though. It's pretty easy to say he knows the rule and all, but being caught up in the heat of the moment with another fuckup by an NFL official, it's almost just reactionary to throw the flag. Not to mention, he threw the challenge flag before the TD was even scored, which should count for something (j/k). Also, in his defense, it's also not a scoring play...at least not to pretty much everyone on the field except for the 8 officials somehow. Since it wasn't a scoring play, it shouldn't have been automatically reviewed and his challenge should have been awarded.

I think the bottom line is that whether or not Schwartz fucked up and threw the challenge flag, the god damned officials HAVE to get that call right the first time. His knee, forearm, AND elbow were down, everyone stopped playing, yet the 8 guys who get paid to blow the whistle didn't see that the RB was down. That's an embarrassment to the NFL, and the officials continue to be in the "spotlight" for fucking up some call.

Why does it need to be a 15 yd penalty in the first place if the coach throws the challenge flag? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind penalizing the coach or team for that. If the NFL says that it delays the game, I might laugh so hard my head explodes. NFL games are the longest, most drawn out sporting event, and the coach throwing a flag (again because your officials got another call wrong) isn't delaying the game any longer than it already is. Thank God for DVR's and not having to watch an NFL game without the ability to fast forward through the seemingly unstoppable stoppages.

So basically Peter King tweeted the same thing I said

Kubiak coulda done what I said and there is no rule to say different

wow...crazy

yall get what Im sayin right? So dumb this rule

its this simple to me: Any rule which can turn what was a non-scoring play into a score is literally a stupid rule. Res Ipsa Loquitor

Back