The Cats vs The Cocks Thursday Night Showdown

Kmacc

Air Raid Returns!
I thought I would get a thread started up and figure out what everybodys take on this one is. After watching UK's first 5 games I have been extremely impressed with what I have seen out of this team. They did however benefit from some teams losing ahead of them and have been vaulted up in the rankings all the way to #8. Line opened at SC -3.5 and I expect if it moves anywhere it will go to 4 instead of 3. Thought about taking the UK ml but +145 just isn't enough for me. I will be interested in getting a good number on the total. Hoping it opens up somewhere in the 60's and I should hit the over.

Would like to hear some of the SC's guys take on this one and I will certainly be back with more info on this one just wanted to get the ball rolling.:tiphat:

I am down to debate everything there is to debate on this game so that everyone can make an informed and educated play. We won't all agree but like the LSU thread, there won't be much that will be left out for you to make a decision

Notes from the Kentucky side:
-UK has never beaten a Steve Spurrier coached football team (not sure his exact number of wins but he has embarassed UK multiple times)
*Brooks apparently is no match for Spurrier on the golf course as he is undefeated there also
-UK excersining deamons from its past so far this year
*beat the Ville for the first time in 4 years
*beat a top 10 ten team for the first time since 1977
*beat Arkansas for the first time in 7 years
-UK is 0-7 vs their East foe SC since 2000

Andre Woodson has come a long long way from nearly quitting the team 2 years ago and having to fight for his job against Curtis Pulley coming into last year. Perhaps the light has finally clicked with Andre and he is definately playing up to his potential right now. He has shot up the Heisman watchlist and Kentucky has been playing very well after that embarassment at the hands of LSU last year. UK fell behind big time to SC last year 17-0 and ended up coming up short but they really struggled to defend Newton at QB. Since the drubbing in Baton Rouge, the Cats have won 10 of their last 11 with their whole offense returning from last years team.

The emergence of Stevie Johnson in the passing game has been a pleasent surprise this year and provides UK with a bigtime downfield target. Keenan Burton is doing exactly what was expected of him at this point. While Dickie Lyons and Tamme are very good possession receivers. The Cats have put up atleast 40 points in every game this year and although it will be tough to duplicate this feat on Thursday they should be able to move up and down the field with one of the best RB's in the SEC in Little having a field day. He is averaging over 6.7 ypc and should be extremely involved in what UK wants to do on offense.

Now UK's D is suseptible to QB's who can get out of the pocket. Haven't seen too much of Smelley and would like to get the scouting report on him. After the Arkansas game McFadden did say UK's D was the most physical defense they had faced this year. The linebackers are getting better and better every week with Micah Johson improving, Braxton Kelley playing good and Wesley Woodyard being the Captain of that D. They really play a bend but don't break style of defense and will give up some yards but have focused on not giving up the big play. Which Spurrier should be able to exploit because his playcalling allows you to take what the defense gives you. Overall this game is going to be exciting to watch and as a UK fan my opinion maybe slightly biased, but its either Cats +the points or nothing for me. UK is also 4-0 ATS on the season.

Let's start at the top. Who's got the edge for HC and coaching staff?
:36_11_6:
The OBC definately has the advantage against Brooks.
I like Joker Phillips as the OC for UK as he really utilizes his weapons very well and exploits defenses. Kentucky has trailed twice this season at halftime and have made great adjustments to allow them to come back to win those games.

QB Comparison:
Andre Woodson SR, the four year starter just set the NCAA record for passes without an int before throwing one vs FAU on Saturday where he was on his back foot and the defender made a great play on the ball. Andre is completing 67% of his passes has 1300+ yards, 16 TD's and just 1 int. He has been extremely efficient and has done an amazing job managing the game and not turning the ball over.

Chris Smelley FR, on the other side has taken over for Mitchell which may be a good move for this team. He is completing just 53% of his passes this season for 554 yards, 4 TD's and 3 ints. I will be very interested to see how Smelley responds to the big stage of Thursday night national TV game.

Clear Advantage for UK at QB

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Good thread Kmacc...

Today's practice notes copied from ksr

1) According to our boy Jared Powell - who covers UK's press conferences for us - Johnny Williams, Rafael Little, and Tony Dixon did not practice today for Kentucky, with Williams' injury being the most significant. Williams has a plantar fasciitis in his foot. For those that don't know, plantar fasciitis is a medical term for "it hurts like a mother ^&%$#@." According to doctors, Williams will be able to play on a cortizone shot, but if he has to rest on the injury at any point for a significant amount of time, the foot will stiffen back up. From the sounds of things, you'd rather have oncoming traffic run into your groin than go through the pain Williams' would apparently go through without the shot. If for some reason he can't go, Sam Maxwell, who replaced Johnny against Kent State after a great game against Eastern Kentucky, will take the starting reigns from Williams. As noted previously on this blog, Maxwell is a great asset against teams that try to run off-tackle. Maxwell is great against teams that attempt to get outside and also in trying to get out and cover screens. Williams' injury is disappointing, as he was instrumental in UK knocking off Arkansas two weeks ago. For those that are unaware, audio from every press conference, including exclusive interviews with players are posted FREE of CHARGE on "The Cats Zone" over at 1570thezone.com. Powell has the entire transcript of Sunday's teleconference and Brooks' press conference from today.

2) The good news from the press conference notes was the news that Alfonso Smith is set to return to practice tomorrow. Whether or not he'll be in game shape by Thursday has yet to be determined, but his return can not be more crucial for Kentucky on so many different level. He means so much to the special teams' unit at Kentucky; a unit that gave up a kick return for a touchdown against Arkansas just two weeks ago when Smith was hobbled. As a running back, he's equally as important as a change of pace back that's good for 4-5 carries a game. Especially if UK hopes to control the time of possession, they will need to keep rotating running backs every now and then to keep South Carolina off balance. With Little and Dixon banged up, UK is going to need its entire stable against the Gamecocks.

3) Also returning to practice today was E.J. Adams. Adams, a true sophomore who did not redshirt last season, was the pre-fall number one cornerback opposite Trevard Lindley, before he was eventually overtaken by Paul Warford because of an injury. Warford, himself, has been experiencing some lingering injury issues as well and has not been 100% recently, so the addition of Adams should help give Kentucky some more added depth at the position. With a few bumps and bruises in the secondary, it will be nice to see E.J.'s smiling face back.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Posted this another thread but basically..... Kentucky's D has proven to be weak against the run. I can clearly see SC winning comfortably if they can control the clock and the line of scrimmage. If you look at UK's performance in the first half of the Kent St. and Arkansas game, the defense was stuck on the field and the offense struggled to get going. Woodson got out of rhythm and had a couple of 3 and outs. They were fortunate to get some turnovers to keep those games close at the half.

If Spurrier will ball control, SC should have a distinct edge. But this is the Ol' ball coach and I don't think he can be trusted. Smelley puts it up 35+ times and UK wins a shootout. Will Spurrier grind a game out on ESPN Thursday night?

UK is a VERY public dog in early betting...to the tune of 58% on wagerline. If I was a UK bettor, that would concern me.

spurrier is 14-0 all time vs Kentucky. So. Car has won 7 in a row in this series and is 11-6-1 all time.

fwiw, spurrier is 2-0 against kentucky since his return to the cocks sidelines.

info from Phil Steele bible.

I just had a bunch of shit typed and my stoner ass hit the back button and its gone. After lunch I'll post a cliff notes version. It seems the board will be divided on this play but I hope to add some thoughts and let people decide what they want to play.

Alright guys, here are my thoughts.

With #8 Kentucky sporting a 5-0 record and being undefeated in SEC play (1-0), they have a target on their back and they are the hunted right now instead of the hunter. It is an unfamiliar position for them and it will be interesting to see how they respond. Forget the look aheads, there is no doubt both teams come to play focused knowing that this is a huge game in the SEC-East. This is UK's 2nd game on the road this season, this will be the 4th home game for SC.

Kentucky imo is much a media darling this week and I love the fact that they have to travel with so much hype. Woodson has eye ball popping numbers, that is certain. The defenses he has faced are questionable at best in pass coverage. John Parker Wilson torched Arkansas and I've seen enough of L-Ville try to play defense to know they suck, those were the only teams worth anything that they played. SC is rated #1 in the country in pass defense, if there was not a bigger misleading stat than this, I don't know what is. We are not the #1 pass defense in the country and Woodson is the best true passing QB we have faced this yr.

Something has to give in this game. Kentucky in the 2nd half has scored 17(FAU), 28 (Arky), 21 (Lou), 42 (Kent), 20 (EKen).

SC going back to last season has been very good on defense and making 2nd half adjustments. Points allowed by SC in the 2nd half over the last 10 games = 7(MSU), 7 (LSU), 0 (SCSCU), 9 (UGA), 0 (ULL), 8 (Hous), 7 (Clem), 0 (MTSU), 10 (UF), 3 (Arky).

The general perception is that UK offense is very good. I won't disagree with that much, they are talented at the skill positions but they will not sniff 40 points or 35 for that matter in this game. The last team to touch 40 vs. SC was Auburn in 2005 and the last team to touch 31 was Houston in the bowl game in 2006 but that is about it as far as scoring on SC goes. They don't play great defense but they play good red zone defense and they are ranked #1 on 3rd down in the SEC, a great improvement over last yr.

UK has the 4th best defense that Carolina will have faced this yr (LSU, UGA, Messy) while Carolina is the best that UK will have faced.

SC rush defense catches a lot of flack and since the loss of Jasper, there are def concerns there. MSU rushed for 140 on SC but they averaged 3.3ypc. UGA rushed for 120 on them and 50 of it came on 1 play in the 4th. UK is not even in the same universe as LSU and ULL rushing for 250 doesn't mean much to me, SC didn't blitz, stunt, or prepare for the shotgun option.

The differences between Smelley and Blake..The team as a whole and the HBC have rallied behind Smelley. Ability wise, they are about even at this stage of the game, the difference is that Blake has hit the roof while Smelley has a really big upside. Here are some notes on Smelley:

"Chris Smelley is coming into his own. The offense is very crisp and fluid with him under center. The players really enjoy playing with him. One thing Spurrier continues to work with him on is not being afraid to check down to his safety valve at times versus always throwing downfield. Spurrier wants him to look downfield first, obviously, but it’s not always the right decision to throw it deep. Another area I hear Smelley is excelling in is in the huddle. The line, especially, really likes how he handles himself in that respect"

The only negative to playing Smelley over Blake is experience. Smelley, for example, this past weekend vs. MSU, decided to go for the endzone when he rolled out and the pass was picked. If he had went short or threw the ball away, SC gets 3points on a field goal. These are corrections Spurrier is trying to make, he has to play within himself, not try to win the game himself.

Going into this yr, SC went 7 years without blocking a punt, they have now blocked a punt in consecutive games. The returns games are much improved and Succop is money from anything inside 50. Special Teams advantage = SC.

On defense, Brandon Issac is still questionable for this weekend but he is a huge asset to have in pass coverage. I think he ends up playing. The DL must get in Woodson's face as well. Overall as a defense, SC is clearly better than UK.

Offense, SC is not as bad as they appear. I think they are really starting to come along. The OL has been very good as of late with pass blocking and the same 5 players on the OL will make their 2nd consecutive start. Jared Cook is going to be called on to have a huge game because he has not come close to displaying all his abilities. I say it every week and every week he gets a little better. This kid is going to have a huge breakout game one of these days and make a name for himself, there is just too much ability. UK has the better QB, they have more depth and better WR unit, I won't give them an advantage on the OL and I won't give them more than a marginal advantage at RB. Boyd/Davis are plenty capable of pounding the rock all day on UK.

Coaching advantage = SC.

When you are clearly better than the other team in 3 phases of the game (ST, Def, coaching) and at home, you should win the game.

Lastly, those of you with UK ML, Spurrier is 12-1 SU when favored, the lone loss is the bowl game vs. Missouri. If there is anyone who I want commanding my money on national TV with respect on the line, its SOS.

SC 38 - UK 27

Last edited:
ETG,

I have been digging around for South Carolina NFL prospects. You seem to be up to speed on SC. Can you tell me who the big prospects on defense are? I know about Brinkley and his injury...just wondering about underclassmen who are potential NFL players.

ETG,

I have been digging around for South Carolina NFL prospects. You seem to be up to speed on SC. Can you tell me who the big prospects on defense are? I know about Brinkley and his injury...just wondering about underclassmen who are potential NFL players.

NFL prospects on defense? for 2008?

The only seniors on defense are Casper Brinkley and Brandon Issac. Issac was said to have more "talent" by NFL scouts at pro-day last yr than Fred Bennett who is on the Texans but Issac has been slowed by a shoulder which he had surgery on. He is questionable vs. UK but I think he plays since they like to throw the ball around. Casper is physically bigger than Jasper and he is said to be a little more athletic. He would make a good LB in a 3-4 system. He is prob a 3rd-4th round pick after working out. Everyone else on the defense including Jasper is back next yr.

That's what I am getting at...potential underclassmen who project to the NFL. Kiper doesn't rate underclassmen and a lot of the other websites are shit.

That's what I am getting at...potential underclassmen who project to the NFL. Kiper doesn't rate underclassmen and a lot of the other websites are shit.

ok underclassmen who have a shot? I mean we are talking 1-2-3years down the road.

Captain Munnerlyn (CB) - He will get a look cause of his speed (4.3ish) and SC has had some success putting DB's in the NFL. The knock on Captain will be his height (5'9). Carlos Thomas is another DB who will get a look cause of his speed (4.3ish) and he has more size than Captain (190ish). I would have to say Eric Norwood is going to make a big name for himself. He is our best defensive player right now as a true sophomore. He was a freshmen all american last yr. I think it would be impossible for me to project the frosh but Cliff Matthews is a name to watch out for. He is going to be special.

Thanks...appreciate the info. Just trying to figure out why everyone holds such high regard for the D. Besides LSU they really haven't played anyone. And honestly LSU never got the offense into high gear. They had success with the run so they never really tested the secondary.

Thanks...appreciate the info. Just trying to figure out why everyone holds such high regard for the D. Besides LSU they really haven't played anyone. And honestly LSU never got the offense into high gear. They had success with the run so they never really tested the secondary.

My best explanation is this.

They gave up 18.6 points/game last yr and they returned 10 of top 11 tacklers and about 13 players with starting experience. They have kept the scoring down as well this yr for the most part. They don't play pretty defense but they don't give up TD's by the bunches either.

I think if you want to talk stats and schedules, SC has had a much tougher road than UK. @ UGA, @LSU, home vs. Messy St compared to @ Arky and home to L-Ville. I think UGA can beat both Arky and L-Ville and LSU would no doubt take care of both of them.

Without a doubt, the most misleading statisitic is the SC pass defense and they will be tested this weekend.

I am having a real hard time with this game but it is fun to pick it apart. No doubt SC as played a harder schedule, no doubt expectations were higher for SC when they year started but I went into this week thinking SC must have more talent based on the pre-season expectations.

I am coming to the conclusion that I was wrong. SC's highest regarded senior is out for the season. They have 1 of their original starting LB's in the same position. They are at plan B at QB. They are unproven but talented in the secondary this year.

On the other side UK has Woodson QB(who may be a top 5 pick now), Little RB(3rd down back in the NFL 2nd/3rd rounder), Tamme TE(2nd rounder might turn out to be the best NFL player of the bunch), and Burton WR(1st/2nd rounder). Plus two other kids at WR with NFL talent.

I really wanted to fade UK here just can't pull the trigger. I don't want to follow a big public dog but I guess sometimes the squares get 'em right.

It will be very interesting to see how both teams prepare for this game on a short week which has be taken into account. I am pretty sure UK was doing gameplanning for SC last week when they knew FAU was their next opponent. But they didn't look past them at all and came out very crisp on offense and the defense made a few big plays. This is a testament to where this team has come from under Brooks at the helm. A lot of people around Lexington were calling for Rich's head after the 2005 season where the Cats were an abismal 2-9, but the players were constantly praising Rich and letting everyone know how much they supported him. In the past UK has never been able to keep up with the big boys from the SEC simply because we didn't have the draw and couldn't recruit but Rich has turned the corner for UK football. The players have bought into the system and it has prospered. We now finally have SEC speed on both sides of the football and protect the football in key situations to keep us in games.
Besides throwing the most beautiful ball in the country and being deadly accurate so far this year Andre Woodson is able to manage a football game and make good decisions. This is a guy that can make all the throws and doesn't put his defense on short fields by throwing int's. I think SC will have a hard time stopping the run early which should set up great opportunities with play action. I honestly think there are only a handful of Defenses in the country that can contain UK and not sure SC is ready to be lumped into this category.

So many people across the country are looking at UK's #8 ranking and calling it an absolute fraud. They are saying who has UK beaten?? A pathetic Louisville team, an overrated Arkansas team and a bunch of cupcakes. Well all this may have some validity but I am here to tell you this team is for real, winning this game on Thursday night puts them in the drivers seat to win the East. They will also be bowl eligible in the first week of October. I just can't pass up getting 3.5 pts with the team that finally has everything to play for.

This is the first time UK has had more talent than SC and look at the scores the last 5 years where they have been so close to getting over the hump against the Gamecocks but have ultimately come up short.
2002- SC 16 - UK 12
2003- UK 21 - SC 27
2004- SC 12 - UK 7
2005- UK 16 - SC 44 (which was closer than the score indicates, it was tied at the half then...)
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>3rd Quarter - 8:00</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 17 - Kentucky 10
Sidney Rice 27 yd. pass from Blake Mitchell (Josh Brown kick)

</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>3rd Quarter - 7:00</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 17 - Kentucky 16
Rafael Little 13 yd. run (kick failed)

</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>3rd Quarter - 5:00</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 24 - Kentucky 16
Sidney Rice 8 yd. pass from Blake Mitchell (Josh Brown kick)

</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>4th Quarter - 13:54</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 30 - Kentucky 16
Ko Simpson 21 yd. fumble recovery

</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>4th Quarter - 5:00</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 37 - Kentucky 16
Daccus Turman 1 yd. run (Josh Brown kick)

</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD colSpan=2>4th Quarter - 2:00</TD></TR><TR class=datarow><TD>TD </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>South Carolina 44 - Kentucky 16
Syvelle Newton 16 yd. run (Josh Brown kick)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I know the seniors remember this game.....

2006- SC 24 - UK 17 (UK falls behind 17-0 early)

Maybe they can catch a few breaks and get the ball to bounce their way this time around.
:prayerGO BIG BLUE!:prayer

KENTUCKY 38
SOUTH CAROLINA 34

Injury Report

KENTUCKY - Running back Alfonso Smith (10/1, sprained ankle) is questionable for Saturday's game against South Carolina. Defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin (9/12, hip) is out indefinitely. Linebacker Mikhail Mabry (9/5, broken thumb) is out indefinitely. Cornerback E.J. Adams (9/5, wrist) is out indefinitely. Defensive end Nii Adjei Oninku (8/13, torn ACL/MCL) will miss the entire season.

SO CAROLINA - *Running back Cory Boyd (10/1, sore knee) is probable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. *Linebacker Jasper Brinkley (9/24, knee surgery) will miss the remainder of the season. Linebacker Marcus Davis (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Running back Bobby Wallace (10/1, collarbone) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Linebacker Dustin Lindsey (10/1, knee) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Guard Kevin Young (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Guard Gurminder Thind (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Cornerback Brandon Isaac (10/1, shoulder) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. Defensive lineman Nathan Pepper (9/19, knee surgery) will miss the remainder of the season. Defensive end Jordin Lindsey (9/7, academically ineligible) will miss the remainder of the season.

Any of you SC guys out there lend some insight? Large number of questionable guys

SO CAROLINA - *Running back Cory Boyd (10/1, sore knee) is probable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. playing

*Linebacker Jasper Brinkley (9/24, knee surgery) will miss the remainder of the season. as you know, out for yr.

Linebacker Marcus Davis (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. this guy isn't even on the team.

Running back Bobby Wallace (10/1, collarbone) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. been out since summer

Linebacker Dustin Lindsey (10/1, knee) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. hasn't played this yr

Guard Kevin Young (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. hasn't played this yr, is available at Guard for Thurs

Guard Gurminder Thind (10/1, ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. not sure on his status, not in starting lineup

Cornerback Brandon Isaac (10/1, shoulder) is questionable for Thursday's game against Kentucky. legit player, should play.

Defensive lineman Nathan Pepper (9/19, knee surgery) will miss the remainder of the season. lost vs. SCSU

Defensive end Jordin Lindsey (9/7, academically ineligible) will miss the remainder of the season. hasn't played this yr.

Any of you SC guys out there lend some insight? Large number of questionable guys

bold

The total is out and I told myself I was playing the over at anything less than 60. So for now I am gonna go ahead and scoop up the good number

Over 57.5 -105

Something I poste in Bar's thread...there are like 4 of these Cats/SC threads but it leans towards your total bet:

ESPN agrees with you; I also didn't realize the extent to which SC defense is injured at LB.

From Espn.com

Kentucky Offense vs. South Carolina Defense
Kentucky runs a base no-huddle offense with the coaches signaling the play in from the sidelines, which makes it difficult for defenses to make substitutions. That could spell trouble for a South Carolina front seven that has been depleted by injuries. MLB Jasper Brinkley, who anchored the defense, sustained a season-ending knee against LSU two weeks ago and DE Nathan Pepper sustained a season-ending knee injury earlier this year. In addition, Jasper's brother Casper moved from outside linebacker to end when the Gamecocks lost Pepper so Rodney Paulk is the only starting linebacker that started in the season opener. QB Andre' Woodson is seasoned and smart. If he sees a linebacker in the wrong alignment and/or out of position in coverage, he can take advantage. Unfortunately for South Carolina, it could do everything right and Woodson could still burn them because of the weapons he has at his disposal. WR Keenan Burton draws a tough matchup against DC Captain Munnerlyn, but he's shown he can make tough catches in traffic. He excels at shielding defenders and staying focused when the ball is in the air. No. 2 receiver Dicky Lyons is coming off an eight-catch performance and No. 3 Steve Johnson is averaging better than 18 yards per catch. South Carolina just doesn't have the depth to matchup. In addition, TE Jacob Tamme is fast enough to stretch the field and quick enough to get open underneath. As a result, it's imperative the Gamecocks get to Woodson and they should be optimistic about their chances. The Wildcats don't have great athletes at either tackle position so DEs Casper Brinkley and Eric Norwood should be able to apply pressure of the edge. Though he has admittedly shown great poise in the face of pressure, Woodson is just like any other quarterback in the sense he becomes far less accurate when forced to hurry his throwing process and/or off balance.
<!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (BEGIN)---------------------><TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=225 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"><CENTER>Kentucky at South Carolina</CENTER></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=225></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width="100%"><TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD align=left></TD><TD align=middle>vs. </TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
When: Oct. 4, 7:30 p.m. ET
Where: Columbia, S.C.
Preview: Kentucky-South Carolina suddenly more meaningful </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (END)--------------------->
RB Rafael Little, who has rushed for over 100 yards in four of Kentucky's five games this year, is the perfect complement to Woodson. Though he doesn't have elite strength, it's unlikely he faces many eight-man fronts because they weaken the defense's ability to cover and South Carolina doesn't want to get beat by Woodson over the top. The explosive Little also benefits from the Wildcats blocking schemes. He is at his best running behind zone blocking. With his blockers occupying defenders and stretching them horizontally Little can read the front and cut up when he locates a seam. It should come as little surprise that this style of blocking is perfect for cutback runners like Little. In other words, Kentucky can make South Carolina pay if its overhauled linebacker unit gets caught out of position. The Wildcats will also pull their backside offensive linemen allowing Little to ride the hip of the blocker and cut up when he sees daylight. Again, the ability of the offensive tackles to seal the edge against these athletic ends is concerning. However, it won't hurt the Wildcats as much as it does other teams. Kentucky can supplement its running game by throwing to the sure-handed Little out of the backfield. If Little is having a hard time turning the corner on handoffs, Woodson can dump the ball off to him in the flat and his ability to make the first defender miss makes him dangerous after the catch.
South Carolina Offense vs. Kentucky Defense
Kentucky's run defense has been one of the most porous in the nation and the front seven simply isn't getting the job done. Up front, defensive tackles are getting caught out of gaps and defensive ends are getting caught too far inside. At the second level, LBs Johnny Williams, Braxton Kelley, Micah Johnson and Wesley Woodyard aren't getting off blocks in time to get into sound tackling positions. With South Carolina's instability at quarterback and Kentucky's ability to put points on the board in a hurry, expect the Gamecocks to take advantage and stay committed to the run. The idea is consistently handing the ball off too RBs Cory Boyd and Mike Davis will take pressure off QB Chris Smelley and help South Carolina win the time of possession battle. Boyd is a tough runner who can make defenders miss or run them over in the open field. The Gamecocks lose little in terms of talent when Davis gets the carry. He too is quick enough to turn the corner and can pick up yards after contact. It's also worth mentioning that the Gamecock offensive line appears to be making strides. While it still isn't controlling the line of scrimmage, it should be able to hold its own against this front.

Smelley replaced Blake Mitchell as the starter last week and he did an adequate job of running the offense. Well enough, in fact, to be listed as the starter on the depth chart this week and his head coach should put him in a position to exceed. Steve Spurrier is an architect when it comes to route structures and he faces a Kentucky defense that frequently drops seven men into zone coverage in situations with pass-heavy tendencies. Spurrier can exploit these looks in a number of different ways including attacking the seam with TE Jared Cook or a slot receiver. Running Cook or a receiver deep will draw the safeties to the middle of the field creating seams for receivers or Cook running routes underneath and single-coverage matchups on the outside. If the safeties stay inside, Cook or the slot receiver should see single-coverage. The Wildcats' conservative approach also relies on the font four to get to the quarterback and the pass rush has been ordinary with the exception of DE Jeremy Jarmon. Fortunately for Smelley, Spurrier can negate Jarmon with his backs and tight ends. They can stay in to help the tackles out when Spurrier is looking to attack downfield or release on a route to give Smelley a safety valve when he gets into trouble. Finally, South Carolina's ability to run the ball and Spurrier's commitment to the ground game should set up the play-action package. With Smelley freezing linebackers with his play fakes last week, this should open the door for the Gamecocks to attack downfield and WR Kenny McKinley has the speed to get behind the defense quickly. However, schemes mean little without strong performances from the quarterback so it's important the inconsistent Smelley stay within the game plan and limit his mistakes. For example, Kentucky's best corner is Trevard Lindley and he's capable of staying with McKinley when his technique is sound. As a result, Smelley must be willing to check-down to another receiver, run or throw the ball away when he is looking for McKinley deep and Lindley is able to stay with him.

Special Teams
<!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (BEGIN)--------------------->
<TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=225 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"><CENTER>Key individual matchup</CENTER></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=225></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width="100%">Kentucky LOT Gary Williams vs. South Carolina DE Eric Norwood
Though he is far smaller than Williams and he doesn't have great lower body strength, Norwood is capable of holding his ground when Kentucky runs at him and the reason is Williams isn't fundamentally sound. Williams doesn't stun defenders with a powerful initial punch or stay low to the ground so Norwood can use his quickness to beat him to the point of attack and his lower center of gravity to get under his pads. In addition, Norwood has a strong upper body and he should be able to shed Williams who lacks ideal balance and tends to lean into his blocks rather than driving his legs. And look for Norwood to make an even greater impact when QB Woodson drops back to pass. Norwood has the explosive first step to blow by Williams, who takes too long to get set, and he closes quickly when he gets a clear path to the quarterback. Williams can't compensate for his lack of burst by widening his split and/or kicking out wide either. The relentless Norwood shows an effective spin move and Williams lacks the foot speed to counter. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (END)--------------------->The last time these two teams met the Wildcats ran a fake punt with the ball on their own 29 yard line and P Tim Masthay picked up 17 yards. As a result, South Carolina's punt return unit has to make sure that Masthay kicks the ball before releasing downfield and that hesitation will make it tougher for blockers to get into position for PR Munnerlyn. Making matters worse for Munnerlyn, Kentucky has done a sound job of covering punts. On the other hand, Gameock DE Norwood blocked a punt last week so Masthay can't hold onto the ball too long. Masthay also gets good distance on his kickoffs with 11 of his 42 kickoffs resulting in touchbacks. However, Kentucky's kickoff coverage is amongst the worst in the nation statistically and the Wildcats have already surrendered two kickoff returns for touchdowns. With that in mind, return man Chris Culliver, who has flashed big-play ability, could provide the Gamecocks with quality starting field position and/or points. Kentucky PK Lones Seiber has connected on four of his six field goal attempts but missed three of his 28 point after attempts.
South Carolina's Ryan Succop handles all facets of the kicking game. He's connected on six of his eight field goal attempts with one miss coming from 50 yards out and the other coming from 47 yards out. As a punter, he's averaging 41 yards per punt and he's placed five of his 21 punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line. Wildcat PR Little is averaging 8.9 yards per punt and South Carolina's punt coverage has been average at best so don't be surprised to see Succop punt away from him. Finally, eight of Succop's 27 kickoffs have resulted in touchbacks but the coverage has been shaky here too. That doesn't bode well for the Gamecocks because Kentucky KOR Burton is capable of going the distance if he gets a seam.

Scouts' Edge

A Spurrier-coached team has never lost to Kentucky, and South Carolina has defeated the Wildcats the last seven times these two teams have met dating back to 1999. Oh, how the times they are a changin'.
There are three key differences between those games and the one to be played on Thursday night. First off, the Gamecocks don't have a mobile quarterback like they had in Syvelle Newton. Remember, Newton rushed for 77 yards and a touchdown and caught a 22-yard touchdown pass in South Carolina's seven-point win over Kentucky last year. Secondly, the Wildcats have beaten Georgia, Louisville and at Arkansas since the last time these two teams met. They now have confidence in their ability to win big games. Thirdly, QB Woodson, WR Burton, RB Little and TE Tamme are all seniors. That experience has already paid dividends in adverse situations this year and should help the Wildcats avoid a letdown as well as deal with the adversity of playing on the road in the SEC.

Prediction: Wildcats 38, Gamecocks 31
<!-- / message -->

Good reading material..Questions are in bold, answers not in bold.

Hey Jeff,
You guys have a tough schedule ahead of you starting thursday night. What say you on thursday's score and the seasonal outcome for UK? If for some strange reason you get paired with Clemson in a bowl game again, well... Go wildcats!

Thanks!

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>

I think this is a total toss-up. If Kentucky can keep its ball-security fortunes going, its offense will be tough to beat. But if Carolina can force 2-3 turnovers and control the ball, the Gamecocks will win. I think it all boils down to turnover margin.

As for the season, I picked 7-5 before we started. I may have to amend that now
tongue.gif
but it wouldn't be all that surprising either to see them finish with that record. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Mr. Drummond,
On offense and defense, who would you say is your biggest impact player?

On offense, it's hard to say. They have so many weapons, and they've been taking turns being the top gun. Obviously, Woodson is the leader. If he goes down, UK would be in serious trouble. There's no proven backup. But Rafael Little has also quietly become one of the best RBs in the nation, and the same can be said for Keenan Burton at WR. The UK coaches maintain there's no better offensive trio in the country than Woodson-Little-Burton.

On defense, it's OLB Wesley Woodyard. He's the heart and soul of the team. Expect his name to be called about 15 times Thursday night. Always around the ball.

What is KY's injury situation? What receivers have stood out this year for the cats? Thanks!

RB Alfonso Smith is a no-go for this game and RB Tony Dixon is questionable, but everyone else is fairly healthy. Just some normal bumps and bruises you'd expect at this time of year.

Keenan Burton is a dynamite receiver, but Stevie Johnson and Dicky Lyons Jr. are also very productive. They also have first-team All-SEC TE Jacob Tamme, who has the best hands on the team.

Hey Jeff,

The Cats offense seems well balanced and talented. How would you describe their defense? Is it more of an aggressive, blitzing style of defense, or more of a disciplined/assignment style of defense that relies on the front four to pressure the QB? Do they tend to play man or zone? Who are the difference makers on D?

Sorry for the long question....thanks.

The defense has been very conventional thus far. They've stressed trying to get pressure with the front four, maybe one blitzer at most, and playing aggressive, assignment football. They'll mix up their coverages, but play mostly man. Jeremy Jarmon is a really good young DE who has had sacks in something like 7 of his last 8 games dating back to last season. Myron Pryor is a good space-eating DT. Wesley Woodyard is the heart of the defense at OLB, but MLB Braxton Kelley and OLB Johnny Williams have also played well. MLB Micah Johnson (one of UK's highest rated recruits in recent years) is coming on strong and making the most of his reps. He led the team in tackles last week and returned an INT for a touchdown. CB Trevard Lindley is the best cover man, and Marcus McClinton is a playmaker at safety.

UK's defense is still giving up too many yards -- especially on the ground -- but they've been really stingy with points, particularly in the second half. It's a well-conditioned unit with a lot of bend-but-don't-break heart.

Jeff, How do you explain why almost 37% of the fans polled on ESPN.com picked Kentucky to be upset by SC, out of the 4 games listed? The 36.7% was the most BTW. Thanks
This post was edited on 10/2 4:55 PM by coastalsixty8

I think it's out of respect for SC's great homefield advantage and Spurrier. Plus, a lot of people nationally are waiting for the bubble to burst on UK's dream season IMO. I don't think people realize how good a team they have.

IF the Gamecocks contain the UK offense (now that is an if, I know), do you think the UK defense and special teams are capable of winning a close, low scoring game? Everyone is predicting a shootout, so I wanna know if you think UK is capable of winning a 17-14 kind of game. Thanks.

My hunch is no, but this defense has a lot of heart. They completely shut down Arkansas in the second half on the road. That showed me a lot.

But if UK can't muster 24-plus, I don't like its chances.

I was suprised to see the yardage in the Kent State game favor Kent State. Is this Kentucky D like ours in the bend and don't break mold?

It has been at times. They are very stingy in the red zone and opportunistic with turnovers.

One thing about that Kent State game, they had a dual-threat quarterback. For whatever reason, those guys have given UK fits. It happened last year with Central Michigan, La-Monroe and Vandy. The Cats got gashed by those teams, but really played well against UGA, Tennessee and Clemson -- all 3 with conventional-type quarterbacks.

Jeff - What percentage of run vs pass would the uk coaches like to see? Further, what is your base defense? Thanks.

They are really stressing a balanced attack. The ability to run the ball so effectively is the biggest surprise of the season so far, and the coaches are milking it. Teams have to respect the UK run game now, and that gives Woodson more opportunities down the field.

The base D is a 4-3 with a lot of man converage. The corners play left-right instead of matching up with a particular receiver.

Jeff,

I am curious as to how KY is racking up rushing yards this year...do you run the draw play out of the shotgun and take advantage of the respect teams give the passing game, or is it a traditional type I formation?

How do the rushing yards balance out? For example, in SOS's Florida era, most of his rushing yards came in the second half after leads were built up. Does KY run the ball about the same in all quarters, or does it concentrate more at a particular time?

Thanks

They've more or less just lined up and blown people off the line. Their O-Line has been extremely good at run blocking, and their young FB John Conner is a budding star. He's a great lead blocker for Little and the other backs. They haven't run much draw or stuff out of shotgun at all.

Kentucky has been really balanced throughout the game. It's pretty much 50/50 at any given time. They've been really unpredictable.

What kind of depth does UK have on the offensive and defensive lines of scrimmage? How do the UK fans view Rich Brooks presently as it seemed there was a lot of dissatisfaction until UK got rolling toward the second half of last season? i.e. Do most of the fans feel he is the "right man for the job" now that UK is experiencing some success, or is he a couple losses away from being on the hot seat again? Thanks.

The O-Line is fairly deep. They have a good 8-9 man rotation. The D-Line is not deep. They lost a good DT earlier this season (Ricky Lumpkin), and DT Myron Pryor gets dinged up quite a bit. They still rotate a lot of guys on the D-Line, but the talent level drops off fast after the starters. Same for the ends. Jarmon is very good. Lewis is solid. But after them, there are question marks.

Regarding Brooks, he could run for governor right now. It's been a total turnaround in fan sentiment. A lot of people have had to call his radio show and apologize and/or eat crow. The guy has steadily built a very solid porgram from the ashes. He's bought himself some more time, even if they fall on hard times in the rough part of the schedule.

Thanks for taking our questions!

What is UK's best defensive attribute/area?

Weakest?

Do they run more man or more zone, or is that a push?

If you had to find one offensive weakness in the KY team, what would it be?

Best = opportunistic, aggressive, turn people over

They're mostly a man coverage team, but will mix in zone.

Regarding the offense and weakness, I don't think it exists. They're just very good at every single spot. But, as I said earlier, if Woodson were to go down with an injury, things could get very dicey. They don't have a proven backup at this time.

Mr Drummond: How do you explain Ky ranked #8, USC #11. I know you are 5-0, we are 4-1, but look at who we each beat to get here, now. It looks skewed a bit to me, peering thru the Garnet glass.

Thank you, and I hope this one is not too long for you and our powers that B.

I think both teams are deserving of the respect they're receiving. I can't say for certain UK is better than SC, or vice versa. But I think voters are giving them a lot of credit for beating Louisville and winning on the road at Arkansas. Louisville is still a very good team, despite its struggles early on. UK is largely responsible for that. To put it in perspective, that game was Louisville's season for all intent and purposes. They came in expecting to play for a national championship this season. That went down in flames on Sept. 15, and they had a major hangover the following week when Syracuse embarrassed them. But, talent-wise, that's still a fantastic team.

I think UK's getting bonus points for how impressive the offense has been, too. They've put up 40+ in every game.

So far this season, Kentucky has given up some serious points, i.e. 20 to Kent, 34 to Louisville, and 29 to Arkansas.

Considering USC just laid 38 on Mississippi State, a team who is purported to have a pretty decent defense, what is the rationale behind those who think that USC cannot keep up with Kentucky on offense, and do you agree with it? Or do you think that if UK even stops USC twice, that would be enough?

Hard to gauge on raw scores. Kent State got some points late as UK played almost everyone on the roster. Louisville usually gets 34+ on everyone. Arkansas only managed 13 points against the defense. They had a defensive TD, a safety and a kickoff return for a TD accounting for 16 of those 29.

I don't expect a shootout Thursday like some do. I think this one will be played in the 20s with a lot of ball-control focus on both team's part. I think you'll see some good stops on both sides.

Besides R Little, who is the most productive runner? Do you have an inside or outside running attack? Is Little in good health or does he have some problems? Thanks.

Their RBs have largely been interchangeable. The O-Line is blocking so well, they just plug anyone in there, and he delivers. All of them are averaging 6.7 yards or better. Little averages 6.7. Tony Dixon is the No. 2 guy. He's getting 8.1 a carry. The No. 3 guy (who is hurt and will miss this game) is Alfonso Smith at 7.9 per carry. The No. 4 guy, freshman Derrick Locke, is a track speed guy averaging 7.9 per carry. He's the one who came off the bench in the fourth quarter at Arkansas and helped deliver the win.

Little had a thigh bruise last week, but played through it and looked good against Florida Atlantic.

How are the special teams for UK? Have they thrived in any area...or been bad in any area's?

Thanks and goodluck

Placekicking has been very shaky. They've missed a FG in three of five games, and not overly long attempts, either. They've also missed some extra points. The kicker has a nice leg, but is struggling with his confidence. This could be a HUGE factor in this particular game IMO.

The punter has been very good thus far. He was a concern entering the season, but is growing into his potential. Big leg, improving technique.

The return game was supposed to be a major strength for UK this year, but has been very disappointing. With the college kickoff being moved back five yards, we thought UK's return game would have a field day. They haven't.

Mr. Drummond:

What would you say the outlook is for UK sustaining this most recent rise in the football world? More specifically, do you feel good about what state the team will be in when Andre Woodson leaves after this season? Is there talent in place to "reload" other key positions as well?

Thank you...

Great question. I think we're all wondering that right now. For starters, I think they have a tremendous staff. Rich Brooks is as solid a football man as it gets, and he deserves a lot of credit for steering the ship through some choppy water and getting Kentucky where it is today. Joker Phillips is also an ace coordinator who is likely going to get some schools calling on him for a head coaching job soon. They've recruited well in recent years (although not always evident in Rivals stars) and built quality depth. Quarterback will be a huge question mark this spring, but they will have Curtis Pulley returning to the team after redshirting this year. He actually beat Woodson out two springs ago. He's a dynamic dual-threat guy.

A blog from SC rivals site.

The Sweet Smelley of Success
posted by Scott Hood, 10/03/2007 01:43:00 AM

After listening to Steve Spurrier and several South Carolina players talk this week, it’s apparent this whole deal with Chris Smelley playing quarterback may be more permanent than people think.

Does that mean Blake Mitchell won’t take another snap in this, his final season for the Gamecocks? No, because we all know Spurrier’s reputation for impatience with quarterbacks.

Every quarterback who has ever put on a football uniform for a Steve Spurrier-coached team understands he’s only a couple of three-and-outs away from being yanked and someone else being given a chance to call signals.

It just seems to me that Spurrier is going to give Smelley every opportunity to succeed. There’s no question the HBC was pleased with how the redshirt freshman performed in last Saturday’s victory over Mississippi State.

Generally, Smelley made good decisions where and when to throw the ball, an important skill in Spurrier’s offense. He was decisive and stood up well in the pocket.

In fact, Spurrier was so pleased with how the entire team competed, he said it was the best all-around performance by the Gamecocks in his three seasons as head coach.

For the first time in a while, Spurrier saw some semblance of a downfield passing attack. Kenny McKinley had over 100 yards receiving and two touchdowns on just four receptions.

After the game, it was the comments of Spurrier and some of the players that piqued my interest. With a big smile on his face, McKinley couldn’t stop talking about Smelley and the presence he brought to the huddle and how he handled his business on and off the field.

In short, he didn’t sound like a guy who was all that eager for Mitchell to regain his spot.

Like all of Spurrier’s quarterbacks, Smelley has a lease. Heck, even Danny Wuerffel was benched for a series or two during his Heisman Trophy season.

But, right now, Smelley has a fairly long leash. But it won’t matter.

There’s no question in my mind Smelley will perform well enough against Kentucky Thursday night to warrant another start against North Carolina on Oct. 13 in Chapel Hill. After USC routs the hapless Tar Heels, Spurrier will start the next game against Vanderbilt.

And on and on.

By that point, there will be four games left in the season. If USC wins the next three, do you really think Spurrier is going to make a change at QB with the Gamecocks going to Knoxville?

I don’t think so.

Could Smelley still go bad? Sure. Remember, it took just one half of poor production from Syvelle Newton against Arkansas last season to convince Spurrier to bring Mitchell back and make him the starter again.

Can the same scenario happen again? Yes.

Will it happen? No.

When halftime of the LSU game arrived, it was clear Mitchell had lost all of his confidence in himself, his offensive line and his receivers.

Just as important, it’s my opinion his teammates had lost confidence in Mitchell. I know those are strong words, but I think they accurately reflect the dynamics of what was happening.

In other words, they’re true.

The truth is painful sometimes, and in this case it’s like a knife straight through the gut.

As I sat in the press box watching the second half of the LSU game, the difference between the Gamecocks in the first and second halves was remarkable. The USC players appeared to play with more energy, enthusiasm and fire in the second half.

The same thing happened in the Mississippi State game last weekend when Smelley played every snap. I don’t think it’s a coincidence USC happened to play one of its best games of Spurrier’s tenure in Smelley’s first SEC home start.

It’s apparent, based on everything I’ve heard from Spurrier and the players the last few days, that Smelley is incredibly popular with his teammates. They definitely want him to succeed, and will do everything in their power to make it happen.

What does this mean for Mitchell? While I believe he could take a few snaps here and there in mop-up duty, his career with the Gamecocks has, for all intents and purposes, come to an end unless Smelley has a complete meltdown in a game and Spurrier has no choice but to put Mitchell in.

But the chances of that happening are slim.

No matter what happens over the next eight weeks with regards to USC’s quarterback position, Mitchell deserves a proper sendoff when USC plays its final home game Nov. 24 against Clemson.

He accomplished some things no other QB ever has at USC, namely beating Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Clemson in their careers, and will likely depart as the seventh leading career passing yardage leader in school history.

No matter what you think of him, Blake Mitchell has had a productive career at USC.

In coach speak, he earned his scholarship.

You should thank him for that.

Good stuff ETG
A few notes from ukathletics.com

QUICK NOTES
Kentucky is No. 8 in The Associated Press poll and No. 8 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll. It is the first time since the 1977 season-ending poll (No. 6) that the Wildcats have been in the Top-10 rankings. UK’s No. 8 ranking in the USA Today poll is the highest in school history.

Kentucky’s 5-0 start is its best since the 1984 squad began at 5-0.
Including last season, Kentucky has won 10 of its last 11 games. That is the best 11-game stretch since the 1977 team had a season record of 10-1.

Kentucky’s offense ranks fifth in the nation and leads the SEC in scoring offense, averaging 46.6 points per game. UK has scored 40 or more points in five consecutive games for the first time in school history. UK is the first SEC school to accomplish that feat since Florida did it in 2001.

Quarterback André Woodson’s NCAA record streak of 325 pass attempts without an interception was snapped on the first drive of the second half vs. Florida Atlantic.

Linebacker Wesley Woodyard leads the SEC and currently ranks 11th nationally in tackles, averaging 11.6 per game. He has a streak of 29 consecutive games with at least four tackles and also has 313 tackles in his career, becoming the first Wildcat since Marty Moore (1990-93) to
reach 300 stops.

With 100 receiving yards vs. Florida Atlantic, wide receiver Keenan Burton became just the third Wildcat in school history to reach 2,000 career receiving yards, joining Craig Yeast and Derek Abney.

The Cats are 23-for-24 in the red zone this season including 20 TDs and three FGs. UK had its first stop from within the 20-yard line vs. Florida Atlantic on Saturday.

Kentucky ranks in the top two of 10 SEC statistical categories, leading the league in scoring offense (46.6), first downs (133), and third-down conversions (53.7 percent). The Cats rank second in rushing offense (223.6), pass offense (268.6), total offense (492.2), pass efficiency (158.6), turnover margin (+1.4 per game), kickoff coverage (44.2), and red zone offense (95.8 percent).

Kentucky’s rushing offense has made drastic improvements from last season. UK currently has 14 rushing TDs. UK charted just 12 rushing TDs in all of the 2006 season. UK also ranked 11th in the league in rushing last season, averaging 98.6 yards per game. After five games this season, the Wildcats rank second in the SEC and 15th nationally in rushing offense, averaging 223.6 yards per game.

Kentucky has racked up over 400 yards of offense in nine consecutive games, dating back to last season. UK also has surpassed the 500-yard mark twice this season (EKU and FAU), marking the first time the Wildcats had two games in the same season with over 500 yards of total offense since 2002.

UK’s defense ranks 16th nationally in pass efficiency defense (99.83) and is fourth in the SEC in pass defense, allowing just 181.6 yards per game.

UK’s defense has forced its opponent into at least one interception in six consecutive games, dating back to last year’s Music City Bowl game vs. Clemson.

Kentucky ranks ninth nationally and second in the league in turnover margin at +1.40. The Wildcats have recovered five fumbles and picked off nine passes this season. UK’s defense has scored in two straight games.

A More In Depth Look At The Gamecocks D'
by Shawn Bridwell

The South Carolina Gamecocks have added a wrinkle this season that Steve Spurrier has not been known for in the past, a rugged defense. With the Cock's struggling trying to find a nucleus on the offensive side of the ball, it has been the defense that has carried the birds for most of this early 2007 season. Many have speculated that Kentucky will be hard pressed to score points against the #1 ranked pass defense in the country; I disagree. Let's take a closer look ………..

Yes, South Carolina has been extremely effective against the pass this season as shown with their lofty ranking, but who has it actually faced that possess a legitimate air attack? USC has played four division 1-A teams, Louisiana-Lafayette, Georgia, LSU, and Miss. State. None of those names makes you gulp if you are playing man coverage for the Gamecocks. Let's look at the passing numbers from those teams so far this season.

- Louisiana-Lafayette is currently ranked #100 in the nation in passing at 159 yards per game.

- Georgia is currently ranked #71 in the nation in passing at 207 yards per game

- LSU is currently ranked #61 in the nation in passing at 216 yards per game

- Miss. State is currently ranked #110 in the nation in passing at 136 yards per game.

So to recap, of the four teams USC has faced, there is an average of 179.5 yards passing per game, which would be good enough for 85th in the country.

I guess the list could be worse, but looking at those teams, their passing attacks are nothing to write home about.

Now on the contrary my friends, the Gamecock rushing defense is one of the worst in the SEC. They currently are giving up 201.2 yards per game on the ground. And if we visit some more stats, we find that the teams who lacked strong air arsenals, all have strong running numbers.

-Louisiana-Lafayette ranks #7 in the country in rushing

- LSU ranks #12 in the country in rushing

- Georgia ranks #33 in the country in rushing

- Miss State ranks #44 in the nation rushing

Of those four squads there is an average of 249 yards rushing per game, which would rank #24 in the nation.

So you ask, what does all of this mean?

Well, obviously you can run the ball on the cocks, but it also tells me that they have yet to be tested in the secondary against a sound passing game. I would venture to say the air attack they will see Thursday night will be far superior to anything USC has seen so far. Andre Woodson is now a legitimate Heisman contender and has weapons galore at all of the receiving positions. Kentucky is going to have success through the air, because at the end of the day, it is what they do best.

However, what so many outsiders fail to see is how efficient the running game has been for UK. The Cats currently stand #11 in the nation in rushing. As we discussed just moments earlier, you can definitely gash the cock’s defense on the ground. USC is going to face an offense that is balanced, very efficient, and at the same time does not make mistakes.

That spells bad news for Ol' Steve, as Kentucky has one of the best play action passing games in all of the land. If the Cats can get the running game going, and by the looks of things, there should be no reason why they shouldn't, the passing game is going to be dynamic.

A lot of eyes are going to open after Kentucky pours points on the board both through the air and on the ground against the Cocks. Then again, once you break things down a bit you can see why it is going to happen.

Balance, discipline, and talent. Steve’s boys have eyed two of those traits this season, but balance is a deadly combination that will eventually be the downfall of the USC secondary come Thursday night.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Take it up with Matt Jones if I am wrong.
<!-- story content -->

Look for the shock in score. Everyone is expecting a high scoring affair.

I'm predicting low scoring, maybe not soo low, but low in terms of their scoring average per game.

Score in the 20's. KY 27 SC 20/17

Under 57.5
KY +3.5

I haven't seen the line move at all on my site.

there's a 60% chance of thunderstorms in Columbia, SC tonight. I was leaning over. what does everyone think about the O/U with the bad weather?

there's a 60% chance of thunderstorms in Columbia, SC tonight. I was leaning over. what does everyone think about the O/U with the bad weather?

I don't think the rain is going to have much impact, really. Everything I've heard from the people in Cola is that it might be on/off but nothing serious and certainly nothing like the conditions of the LSU/SC game.

Another Preview..

No. 8 too high for Cats? We'll see, starting tonight

GAMECOCKS FIRST TEST IN TOUGH THREE-GAME STRETCH

By John Clay
HERALD-LEADER SPORTS COLUMNIST
Is Kentucky overrated?
We are about to find out.
That glossy No. 8 ranking in the AP poll, while nice, does appear a tad high. Not many teams ranked 103rd nationally in run-stopping find themselves catapulted into college football's elite.
But study the rest of the sport. Look at Oklahoma losing to Colorado. Look at South Florida's soar to the top six. Look at Texas falling by 20 points at home. Look at Auburn losing at home to Mississippi State before rebounding to win at Florida. Given all that, to be unbeaten Oct. 4 means maybe you get the ranking you deserve.
Now comes the tough part. Tonight's clash with South Carolina begins a bruising stretch. Louisiana State visits Commonwealth Stadium on Oct. 13. Florida visits Lexington on Oct. 20. This treacherous trio of games could color the remainder of the Cats' dream season. We'll know a lot more upon completion.
It starts tonight. Never mind Steve Spurrier. That the Cats are 0-14 against the Ol' Ball Coach is fun fodder, but probably has no real bearing on the outcome. This isn't Spurrier's Fun 'n' Gun attack run by outrageous athletes at Florida. In Columbia, Coach Superior has a revolving door at quarterback, a decent running game and one big-time receiver. He wins with defense.
The Gamecocks are No. 2 in the nation in pass efficiency defense, 16th in scoring defense and 26th in total defense. Of UK's first I-A foes, Kent State is eight spots behind the Gamecocks in total defense. The other three are way on down the line; Arkansas at 81, Louisville at 84, Florida Atlantic at 90. That tells you something.
Defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix, who first earned national respect at Southern Miss, loves aggression. His unit will blitz. It will take a chance. Even without start linebacker Jasper Brinkley, gone for the year with a knee injury, it hits hard and wraps up. Kentucky's offense has put up terrific numbers. It's the school's best, ever. But this will be its toughest test to date. By far.
Win tonight and Kentucky will be 6-0 overall for the first time since 1950, 2-0 in the league for the first time since 1977.
Win tonight and the next two games constitute gravy. Beat either Florida or LSU and the Cats would be an amazing 7-1 heading into the final quarter of the season, with Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Tennessee left on the docket.
Lose both and a win tonight assures the Cats of being 6-2 heading into those final four games. From that vantage point, 8-4 appears not only doable but probable.
Get this: A Kentucky victory tonight, plus an expected Florida loss at LSU and an expected Vandy loss at Auburn this weekend would mean four of the six SEC East teams would own at least two defeats. Kentucky and the Georgia-Tennessee winner would be the two exceptions. Only Kentucky would remain without a blemish.
To be sure, a loss tonight doesn't remove the bloom from the rose. Carolina is at home. Carolina is a three-point favorite. But a loss does scale back the dreams a bit. And it drops UK back in the polls.
A UK win, however, and who knows what might happen?
Is Kentucky as good as its ranking?
Tonight we start finding out.

Kentucky line moved to +4... damn I wish I had known that... got shafted with a +3.5

Still stickin with the under 57.5 in the game... I think we may see Good D by both. Spurrier knows KY too well and these are 2 teams looking to make the SEC even better. It may come down to whomever turns it over the most.

I wish I had all the time to read, analyze and write something clever... but work is consuming too much of my time!

Back