The Brooklyn Nets

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
[video=youtube;DnVS4w7cJPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVS4w7cJPw&feature=player_embedded#t=333[/video]

<header> Nets taking page from Nuggets offensive playbook

By Net Income @NetsDaily on Oct 6 2013, 11:47p 258
</header> Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Tweet (10) Share (1) 258 Comments

The Nets spent a lot of time last week in North Carolina working on defense. There was a lot of video of Lawrence Frank working with the bigs on rotations. There's been a lot of talk about how the Nets want to be known for their defense.
But what about the offense?
Deron Williams said at his Media Day press conference that he expects to run. ""We're going to run. I'm going to run and push the ball. I hope they run with me, he said, flashing a smile.
Alex Raskin writes Monday about the offense through the prism of the man who will be playing the role of Frank when the offensive drills start: John Welch, the long-time assistant to George Karl in Denver. Welch is, in essence, the Nets offensive coordinator. Raskin talked to one Net, camp invite Gary Forbes, who thinks he recognizes something. Forbes, who played under Karl and Welch, said what little offense he's seen is "definitely" similar to the Nuggets' "run-and-gun" style, he said.
Raskin lays out the differences between the Nets offense, designed by Avery Johnson, and what the Nuggets ran.
"[The Nets] ranked 28th in the NBA last year with only 91.2 possessions per game. The Nuggets, by contrast, pushed the tempo and finished at 97.8 possessions per game (second in the NBA). In addition to being faster, the Nuggets were also more efficient than the 2012-2013 Nets, outscoring them by 3.6 points per 100 possessions."
The Nuggets, Raskin writes, also got a lot more easy shots, a lot more pick and rolls reminiscent of how D-Will ran the Jazz. "It will be a great option once I get out there," said Williams.

Tweet (10) Share (1) 258 Comments

ri

Latest News

In This Article

Teams

Players

I'm not sure Garnett has it in him to run the floor like that anymore though. Plus both Williams and Pierce were top 15 in turnovers last season, so that's going to lead to some pretty sloppy basketball at times. Still, anything's better than what they put out on the floor last season.

Yeah maybe if dwill would get in shape. He has turned I to a lazy sob

Dwill was out of shape because he was injured and he turned it on late last season. Garnett's presence in the locker room will not let any of these guys stray away

Joe Johnson supposedly had a bad season last year. As he adjusted to playing in a new city --and with the best point guard and best center he'd teamed with in years-- Johnson's numbers were down. Scoring average, shooting percentages, PER, all down from his Hawk days. Well, except one.
As Devin Kharpertian writes Monday, no one in the NBA came close to Joe Cool as the seconds ticked down....
You already know where this is going. Only two players shot at least nine field goal attempts and finished above 50% from the field -- Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul (6-10, 60%), and Brooklyn’s Joe Johnson (8-9, 88.9%).
Johnson only missed his first crunch-time attempt of the year -- a floater with 24 seconds left against the Detroit Pistons on December 14th -- and he made three more shots in crunch time in that game alone, including the game-winning buzzer-beater. Johnson took four game-winning shot attempts last season, and he made all four.
Johnson admits he's a shooting machine and when asked what takes over in those last seconds, he says simply "instinct." But it's more than that, he tells Kharpertian.
"Like I say, me being 6'7", 6'8", one-on-one at the end of the game, I don't care who you are, man, it's gonna be hard to stop me."

:thumbsup2:

Back