The BCS Scenario Now That Florida Has Won--From BCSGuru.com

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
The BCS race will come down to the last game of the regular season. And we don't mean the Big 12 championship game between Oklahoma and Missouri.

The last few digits on the BCS standings, the ones between a place in the BCS title game and a Fiesta or Sugar Bowl berth, will be decided on the field of Aloha Stadium. In a game between Cincinnati and Hawaii.

This is not an alarmist declaration. It's a fact.

Go to Wes Colley's computer, and play God - and see for yourself. A Hawaii win may be enough to provide safe passage for the Gators as long as they win the SEC championship game. A Cincinnati victory, then Texas just might get its coveted rematch with Oklahoma.

This isn't the first time that a BCS title race is settled in Honolulu, in the very last game of the season. In 2003, a Hawaii loss to Boise State cost USC just enough computer and (the now-defunct) strength-of-schedule points to keep the No. 1-ranked Trojans out of the BCS title game, setting the stage for the first split title in the BCS Era.

We may have an encore in 2008.

If Florida beats Alabama and somehow finishes No. 3 in the BCS standings, then the Gators may very well play for the AP title in the Sugar Bowl. Now ranked No. 2 in the AP poll, Florida is a lock for the top ranking should it topple the Tide in the SEC title game. And no top-ranked team in the AP has ever lost its position after winning its bowl game.

Who will Florida face, in that scenario? The best the Gators could hope for is undefeated Utah in the Urban Meyer Bowl. That matchup also gives the Utes an outside shot of stealing the AP title if they can upset the Gators. If the Fiesta Bowl decides to spoil the party by taking the Utes, then the Sugar would end up with Alabama (in a rematch), Boise State or Cincinnati.

(The Guru has checked with BCS Administrator Bill Hancock and he has confirmed that in the event the BCS title game is an all-Big 12 affair, the Fiesta will have the first two picks.)

But let's deal with how and why Florida might not get to the BCS title game, even with a victory.

Here are the scenarios:

1. Alabama and Oklahoma win: Alabama vs. Oklahoma. There is zero chance for Texas to jump OU, even if the Sooners win a squeaker.
2. Alabama and Missouri win: Alabama vs. Texas. Also a no-doubter.
3. Florida and Missouri win: Florida vs. Texas. Take this to the bank as well.
4. Florida and Oklahoma win: Mathematically the most likely scenario and also the most uncertain. This is where the Cincinnati-Hawaii game comes in. If Hawaii wins, it's 95% Florida-Oklahoma, 5% Texas-Oklahoma. If Cincinnati wins, it's 60% Florida-Oklahoma, 40% Texas-Oklahoma.

Whoa!

Well, let's break down the standings. Florida is now a distant fourth, but should make up significant ground with a win over top-ranked and undefeated Alabama. Where Florida needs to catch up the most is in the computer rankings. This is where they stand now:

• Oklahoma .980
  • Texas .940
  • Florida . 820
Following scenario No. 4, AND a victory by underdog and host Hawaii, this is the projection:

• Oklahoma .990
  • Texas .930
  • Florida .930
If the Gators can achieve a dead-heat with Texas, or close to it, then their superior poll rankings will put them over the top.

Following scenario No. 4, AND a victory by favored Cincinnati, this is the projection:

• Oklahoma 1.000
  • Texas .940
  • Florida .910
That's where it gets complicated, and the voters will wield the hammer. The question is, do they know how to use it?

If the voters defect to Florida for the top-ranking, en masse in both polls, then the Gators will be in. But if they divide the votes three ways between Florida, Texas and Oklahoma, then the Gators would be in trouble. Furthermore, if some of the voters are trying to mete out their own justice in the Big 12 tiebreaker post ex facto, putting Texas ahead of Oklahoma on their ballots, then they'll only hurt ... Florida.

The Gators need the voters to put the Sooners in as a solid No. 2, creating some distance between themselves and Texas. They also want voters to put USC in the top 3 to further wedge down the Longhorns. So when it comes to the Big 12 title game, Florida wants an OU blowout so the Sooners can siphon off more votes from Texas.

Florida is already No. 2 in the Harris poll, so room for improvement there is less dramatic. The Gators need to - and should - finish No. 1 there with a victory over Alabama, and then they'd hope for a 70- to 100-point gap between themselves and Texas.

The coaches poll is where it gets tricky. The Gators are No. 4 there right now. They need to make a quantum leap there. If they finish behind Texas in that poll, they'd be in big trouble. A virtual three-way tie doesn't help, either. They need at least half of the 61 coaches put them No. 1 - and the rest to either split their votes between OU and UT, if not outright favor OU - to git 'er done.

All that illustrates just how important the Cincinnati-Hawaii game will be. Florida fans might want to stay up a little later to sleep a little easier. They can hope for the Bearcats, a freshly-minted BCS bowl team, to spend a little more time lost in the sights and sounds of Waikiki than worry about the resurgent Warriors. After starting the season 1-3, Hawaii has won six of eight - including the last three - to become bowl-eligible.

Longhorns fans, on the other hand, would want Hawaii to feel self-satisfied with the turnaround and be exposed once again by a BCS conference power, as it did in the disastrous Sugar Bowl last year. Otherwise, the AP title may be all Texas has to hope for.

With so much on the line, then, it's imperative for you to know whom to root for, and how much. So here's the breakdown:

Alabama - Roll Tide.
Oklahoma - Boomer Sooner.
Texas - If Alabama wins, root for Missouri. If Florida is winning, root for a close game. If Florida wins, root for Missouri, or at least a close game. And Cincinnati.
Florida - Go Gators, of course. In the Big 12 game, if Mizzou isn't going to pull it out, then you want OU to pour it on. And of course, Hawaii.
And be sure to say mahalo if the Warriors do pull it out.

===

The Guru's projected BCS bowl games -

• BCS championship: Oklahoma vs. Florida
  • Rose Bowl: USC vs. Penn State
  • Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Utah
  • Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Ohio State
  • Orange Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
P.S. And here's the Texas AP scenario: If OU wins a close one over Florida, the 'Horns may potentially claim the AP crown if they can stay ahead of the Sooners in the AP poll this week. They are only 8 points ahead in the latest poll. Of course, this gives Utah a chance as well.

It's amazing how much the strength of schedule can change depending on an early opponent's record.

I mean, Hawaii isn't all that good and was the first game of the year.

Just a bad system.

Texas will probably have a .05 lead in the computers. Its a slim shot but they will need OU to kill Mizzu right now to get a split on the 1st place votes with Florida. If the human polls are close then Texas will get in.

I'd be confident if I was a Gator fan but not 100% confident.

Could you imagine the cfb world if Florida doesn't jump Texas? Wow.

Texas will probably have a .05 lead in the computers. Its a slim shot but they will need OU to kill Mizzu right now to get a split on the 1st place votes with Florida. If the human polls are close then Texas will get in.

I'd be confident if I was a Gator fan but not 100% confident.

Could you imagine the cfb world if Florida doesn't jump Texas? Wow.

There's a chance. A longshot, but a chance.

And the fact that there's a chance should again show the system sucks.

If it is OU vs. Florida, I don't know who to cheer for. Only way the AP possibly votes Texas as co-champ is if OU wins. And my gut wants Florida to ass-fuck OU badly.

How sure is the Guru? Let me put it this way: I wouldn't bet my kid's college money on it. But I would bet yours.

The confluence of events worked out just right for the Florida Gators on Saturday, which should secure them a place in the BCS title game. Oklahoma's spot was never in doubt as the Sooners raced to an early lead against Missouri and kept pounding away.

What worked out for Florida is that its victory over Alabama was hard-fought, which gave the impression that it defeated a stout, undefeated, No. 1-ranked team, as opposed to a fraudulent pretender. Also, OU's victory over Missouri, while impressive and record-setting, seemed pedestrian by comparison because the Tigers' defense was so atrocious that it might as well not have shown up.

All that should add up to a preponderance of first-place votes for the Gators, helping them to make up whatever deficit in the computers against Texas, which will be left out at No. 3. The Guru projects at least a 100-point gap between Florida and Texas in the Harris Poll and probably a 40-50 point lead in the Coaches Poll. Taken together, they should override whatever residual lead that the Longhorns might have in the computer rankings.

If Hawaii defeats Cincinnati in the last regular-season game of 2008, Florida's place in the title game will be cemented.

As for Oklahoma, the crushing victory over Missouri was sufficient to keep enough first- and second-place votes for the Sooners in the human polls, allowing them maintain a comfortable cushion after adding in their superior computer ratings. There should be no concern about their being jumped by Texas in the BCS standings.

Texas's only national title hopes now rest with the Fiesta Bowl's choice. If the bowl, with the expected first pick to replace Oklahoma, chooses undefeated and sixth-ranked Utah to face the Longhorns, there conceivably is a scenario for Texas to win the AP title.

Currently, Texas is 8 points ahead of Oklahoma in the AP poll. Should Texas maintain that lead going into the bowls and the Sooners defeat Florida in the BCS title game, the Longhorns might claim the AP crown by beating the Utes. If the Fiesta takes two-loss Ohio State, then their title hopes will dim considerably.

(Update)
It appears that the Fiesta will pass on Utah, so Texas will face Ohio State.

With all that in mind, here are the Guru's BCS bowl projections:

BCS Championship
: No. 1. Oklahoma vs. No. 2 Florida
Fiesta Bowl: No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Ohio State
Sugar Bowl: No. 4 Alabama vs. No. 6 Utah
Rose Bowl: No. 5 USC vs. No. 8 Penn State
Orange Bowl: No. 12 Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
And the rest of the rankings projections, with the Cincinnati-Hawaii game pending:
No. 7 Texas Tech, No. 9 Boise State, No. 11 Texas Christian, No. 13 Oklahoma State, No. 14 Georgia Tech, No. 15 Georgia.

Keep dreamin, bro. Texas is not playing for the MNC.

Florida/Homo should be a hell of a game.

Dude, I love that you have so much love for your team but there is literally no chance in this happening

If Texas beats out Florida for the NC then this will be the biggest crime in the BCS since Oklahoma jumped Texas

Dude, I love that you have so much love for your team but there is literally no chance in this happening

No chance? Actually there is. But it's a longshot. Take look at the first post about the math.

I agree that Florida getting screwed now would be huge. It'd be chaos.

But I want chaos.

The only fair thing to do this year is a split title

one goes to the winner of Oklahoma/Florida

the other goes to the winner of USC/Penn State

:shake:

No chance? Actually there is. But it's a longshot. Take look at the first post about the math.

I agree that Florida getting screwed now would be huge. It'd be chaos.

But I want chaos.

I havent read everything in that post, but from what I understand, the BCS computers would have them tied if Hawaii beats Cinci. What about the human voters though? Correct me if I'm wrong but more then likely more of them will vote Florida above Texas and doesnt that mess up your system?

I havent read everything in that post, but from what I understand, the BCS computers would have them tied if Hawaii beats Cinci. What about the human voters though? Correct me if I'm wrong but more then likely more of them will vote Florida above Texas and doesnt that mess up your system?

Dude, read the first post.

Although the computers are only 1/3 of the computation, Florida was far behind Texas in the computers going into this week. They will make up alot of ground. The only question is whether it will be enough.

If Hawaii wins, Florida is all but a lock. If Cincy wins, the author puts it at 60/40 that Florida gets in.

BTW, Cincy 10-3 at the half.

The only fair thing to do this year is a split title

one goes to the winner of Oklahoma/Florida

the other goes to the winner of USC/Penn State

:shake:

There are 8 1-loss teams and 2 undefeated teams in the country.

Have the 2 undefeated teams play the #8 and #7 teams to limit the field to 8 and then go from there.

1 vs. 8
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

Do it right. Too many teams have an argument.

What if Texas declines the Fiesta Bowl goes to the Cotton Bowl beats Ole Miss by 30 and Florida beats OU by 3?

There are 8 1-loss teams and 2 undefeated teams in the country.

Have the 2 undefeated teams play the #8 and #7 teams to limit the field to 8 and then go from there.

1 vs. 8
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

Do it right. Too many teams have an argument.

exactly :shake:

texas already got hosed. but since they did already...w/out this type of playoff system...it's gotta be oklahoma and florida.

BTW, Cincy edged Hawaii 29-24 last night.

Watch how close it gets due to the computers. Florida will probably still go but it'll be close and most people won't realize how close we came to another BCS disaster.

How sure is the Guru? Let me put it this way: I wouldn't bet my kid's college money on it. But I would bet yours.
The confluence of events worked out just right for the Florida Gators on Saturday, which should secure them a place in the BCS title game. Oklahoma's spot was never in doubt as the Sooners raced to an early lead against Missouri and kept pounding away.
What worked out for Florida is that its victory over Alabama was hard-fought, which gave the impression that it defeated a stout, undefeated, No. 1-ranked team, as opposed to a fraudulent pretender. Also, OU's victory over Missouri, while impressive and record-setting, seemed pedestrian by comparison because the Tigers' defense was so atrocious that it might as well not have shown up.
All that should add up to a preponderance of first-place votes for the Gators, helping them to make up whatever deficit in the computers against Texas, which will be left out at No. 3. The Guru projects at least a 100-point gap between Florida and Texas in the Harris Poll and probably a 40-50 point lead in the Coaches Poll. Taken together, they should override whatever residual lead that the Longhorns might have in the computer rankings.
If Hawaii defeats Cincinnati in the last regular-season game of 2008, Florida's place in the title game will be cemented.
As for Oklahoma, the crushing victory over Missouri was sufficient to keep enough first- and second-place votes for the Sooners in the human polls, allowing them maintain a comfortable cushion after adding in their superior computer ratings. There should be no concern about their being jumped by Texas in the BCS standings.
Texas's only national title hopes now rests with the Associated Press. But with the Fiesta Bowl's decision to invite two-loss Ohio State to face the Longhorns, their chances dimmed considerably. Currently, Texas is 8 points ahead of Oklahoma in the AP poll. Should Texas maintain that lead going into the bowls and the Sooners defeat Florida in the BCS title game, the Longhorns might try to make a claim for the AP crown - by virtue of their head-to-head win over the Sooners. But it's doubtful that the AP voters would buy into that now since all they can prove is beating a perennially overrated Buckeyes team.
The Fiesta Bowl's decision only reinforces that the nature of the bowl games remains unchanged. It's never about bringing together the best matchups - the BCS title game notwithstanding - but it's all about bringing the most bucks and the highest TV ratings. Even though Texas-Utah made for a more compelling game, the bowl opted to play safe by picking Ohio State.
With all that in mind, here are the Guru's BCS bowl projections:
BCS Championship: No. 1. Oklahoma vs. No. 2 Florida
Fiesta Bowl: No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Ohio State
Sugar Bowl: No. 4 Alabama vs. No. 6 Utah
Rose Bowl: No. 5 USC vs. No. 8 Penn State
Orange Bowl: No. 12 Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
And the rest of the rankings projections, with the Cincinnati-Hawaii game pending:
No. 7 Texas Tech, No. 9 Boise State, No. 11 Texas Christian, No. 13 Oklahoma State, No. 14 Georgia Tech, No. 15 Georgia.

Haha, this just makes me laugh. Florida and Texas sweating it out:

Texas holds off Florida in first computer ranking

from Bevo Beat
In Jeff Sagarin’s computer rankings, one of the six that factor into the final Bowl Championship Series standings, Texas retained the No. 2 spot today behind Oklahoma, which stayed at No. 1.
Despite a strong win over Alabama on Saturday, Florida was ranked fourth, behind No. 3 Texas Tech.
Still, the Gators did move up two spots in this week’s Sagarin ratings in their quest to be in the top two when the final BCS standings are released tonight at 7 p.m. Florida came into the week with an average BCS computer ranking of sixth and an overall BCS ranking of fourth; any tick upwards in the computers for Florida will likely be amplified by the human polls, in which No. 1 Alabama will be tumbling today.
This week’s Sagarin rating: 1. Oklahoma, 2. Texas. 3. Texas Tech. 4. Florida. 5. Utah.
Last week’s Sagarin rating: 1. Oklahoma, 2. Texas, 3. Texas Tech, 4. Alabama, 5. Utah, 6. Florida

Texas needed to stay within 36pts and 72pts of FL in the coaches and harris polls respectively.

There was an 80 point difference in the coaches so FL gets in but not by much.

GATORS CAN EXHALE NOW

With the release of the USA Today Coaches Poll, it's become a near certainty that Florida will be in the BCS title game, against Oklahoma, whose place was never in doubt.

The latest poll, with the No. 2-ranked Gators earning 26 first-place votes, puts them 73 points ahead of No. 3 Texas. That was more than the 50-point lead that the Guru forecast the Gators would need. Since Florida was already No. 2 in the Harris poll last week and poised to assume the top ranking, its advantages in the human polls should be insurmountable for Texas to overcome.

More bad news for the Longhorns: Their chances for an AP title also appeared dead after the latest Associated Press Poll puts them No. 3, behind No. 1 Florida and No. 2 Oklahoma. Since these two teams will face each other in the BCS title game, there's no conceivable scenario for Texas to vault to the top, even with a victory over Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

The first two computer rankings went as expected: Sagarin has Oklahoma at No. 1, followed by Texas, Texas Tech and Florida. Colley also has OU at No. 1, followed by Texas and Florida.

The Harris Poll is expected to be released by 4 p.m. EST. The official BCS announcement, along with BCS bowl pairings, will air live at 8 p.m. EST on FOX.

Yeah, I saw that. Fiesta it is.

This year will truly be a Mythical National Championship, even though I think Florida is the best team in the country.

Yeah, I saw that. Fiesta it is.

This year will truly be a Mythical National Championship, even though I think Florida is the best team in the country.

IMO, without a playoff it has always been a Mythical National Championship.
With Tejas getting screwed maybe we can at least get a +1 going forward....:shake:
Winner of OU/UF vs. 1) Tejas, 2) USC, & 3) Utah (based on who wins their respective bowl games) would be a pretty good set-up.

Mully :cheers:

Back