Texas vs West Virginia Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bumped up to 7 articles this week. Here comes another. Thanks. Feel free to discuss and BOL

Pick Mountaineers to Prolong Longhorns' Woes

West Virginia (7-3) hosts Texas (5-5) Saturday at noon for its home finale. The Mountaineers are favored by a field goal.

West Virginia's offense relies most on the production of quarterback Will Grier. The Mountaineers are 4-1 ATS when he throws for 350+ yards. The one non-cover came against Baylor, when the Bears backdoor-covered a complacent West Virginia.

Grier is a proven performer against defenses with a high number of defensive backs. Against Iowa State's 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 Grier consistently thread the needle with his solid accuracy: he was 20/25 for 316 yards.

Texas will likewise utilize many defensive backs, granted that, since their respectable performance against a then-struggling Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State and in the second half against Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield, their secondary's depth has thinned.

Holton Hill was Texas' lockdown corner, a future 1st- or 2nd-rounder. He is suspended. Nickelback PJ Locke III and backup corner Josh Thompson are injured.

Conversely, West Virginia's depth at wide receiver is immense: Ka'Raun White, Gary Jennings and David Sills could achieve 1,000 yards each before season's end.

Running back Justin Crawford's 5.7 yards per carry bring balance to the passing attack. He can utilize his foot speed to cut through opposing defenses.

Defensive Coordinator Todd Orlando likes to utilize various blitzes in his aggressive scheme but should struggle to reach Grier, whose pocket presence contributes to the Mountaineers ranking 16th in sack percentage allowed.

Grier, with time to throw, a massively talented receiving corps, and support from Crawford, can exploit Texas' declining secondary.

Texas' offense, under first-year offensive coordinator Tim Beck, is in disarray, although the Longhorns, perhaps due to their brandname, are constantly overrated in terms of talent.

Injuries throughout the offensive line surely contribute to Texas' ineptitude on offense, their difficulty in reaching 20 points against mediocre defenses like that of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and USC. The Longhorns rank 95th in sack percentage allowed and 111th in yards per carry.

The Longhorns have tried to utilize a freshman quarterback, Sam Ehlinger, often as a power runner, until he suffered a concussion. They have switched back to Shane Buechele, a more developed talent with a nice arm and better accuracy, but who struggles under duress.

They have also shuffled wide receivers and running backs. Possibly their most talented wide receiver, Collin Johnson, struggles with consistency in performance and effort. At running back, the rather static Chris Warren has proven to be massively overrated, while freshman Daniel Young is struggling to carry the load, especially when defenders already meet him in the backfield.

Beck has tried to force his zone-read scheme onto this offense, but this scheme is either too complicated for Texas' offensive linemen or they are inept at the movement-heavy style of blocking required by Beck.

But the fault is not just Beck's: it's difficult for a coordinator to just drop his offensive philosophy, especially when the quarterbacks, running backs, tight ends, wide receivers and offensive linemen keep shuffling.

Texas is struggling to find an identity on offense, develop consistency even just in terms of personnel and acclimate to a new offensive scheme.

The Verdict

Texas has only one win vs a team with a winning record, Iowa State before they switched quarterbacks. West Virginia's offense is proven with its high-quality balance, while Texas lacks the tools to keep pace in Morgantown, where the Mountaineers have won 14 out of their last 16 and covered 3 of their last 4 against FBS opponents, the non-cover coming when Grier was dealing with personal distractions while playing Oklahoma State.

NCAAF Pick: West Virginia -3

I know we have a Texas expert in Frank. Who seems rather pessimistic so maybe he'll agree and I understand the pessimism while researching now. And I know we have a very smart and friendly WVU expert here somewhere. :)

Not much to add. Our defense is not the same since Hill went out after his drug suspension plus some of our DBs are dinged up. We do get All-American LT Connor Williams back which should help our o-line, but anything will help the line at this point for a team that has no prayer of running the ball. Buechele looks to be getting most of the snaps this week so likely he'll do so during the game.

We get a break w/ a noon kickoff instead of a drunken evening crowd. I want to be pleasantly surprised but 27-20 feels about right in this game,

Williams likely won't start, though?

And thanks as always Frank.

Maybe our WV expert can chime in.

What is Texas doing with Ehlinger? Read they got him in a series last week, but wondering why Buechelle is getting most of the practice snaps?

Will say this...West Virginia is one of the whackest teams out there. Didn't score in second half vs ISU, the Oklahoma State game was just all kinds of whacky, let Baylor come from way back on them, came from down 3 scores to beat TTech, could've beat TCU, let Kansas run all over them...just every week they do something that is hard to expect out of them.

Here's the WVU homer take...

Everything points to a win for us at home this weekend with the suspension and injuries in the Texas secondary. Without those, I would be extremely worried, as we have had a hard time with any consistency on the ground even if we do have plenty of talent and depth at RB. If a team can slow down our passing game they can handle our offense. I know little about Texas' team this season aside from being very impressed with Ehlinger. While I hate to see a talented kid get hurt, I'm not disappointed that we will miss him in Morgantown. On the defensive side of the ball, we have improved throughout the season to the point that I don't feel that it's a major weakness at this point. It's a bend but don't break type of D that hinges on speed and turnovers much of the time. David Long, linebacker who was injured for a few games to start the season, is an absolute standout. If you happen to watch this one on TV keep an eye on him, (#11).

As for the home field advantage, the weather is looking shitty, a lot of the students will have left town for break, and hunting season will have started (so I hear). The attendance won't be what it should be due to these factors. From my experience being a season ticket holder for over 30 years, the crowds that brave the bad weather are actually louder and more into it. I don't know if it's because the weather weeds out the fans that sit on their hands or if the folks that come during the weather get that much more liquored up (this one describes my group) but it really gets loud. It should be a rowdy atmosphere. It's also senior day so I'm thinking Crawford and a few defenders come out highly motivated. One last note is that the weather forecast has been back and forth on wind. Most recently I've seen 10-20 mph winds which wouldn't concern me much. Earlier in the week they were calling for 40 mph gusts and if that forecast returns before Saturday it could very easily level the playing field by limiting deep balls and play calling and helping to contain our biggest strength.

Great insights. WVU people seem like a really colorful group. Thanks. I noticed before that the defense is really inexperienced but I like the coach and I like his scheme. It's the kind of scenario where you hope for the guys to gel together towards the end of the season. I was going to play the 'under,' despite the line movement, until I looked into Texas' lack of depth in the secondary. I get not overrating the importance of the occasional injury, but that's a lot, and against WVU's depth at wide receiver plus Grier. That's too much imo.

Pretty strong line for a team that hasn't been bowling in three years, but maybe the brand is that strong

Lol is that sarcasm gwarner?

:/

I bet on texas vs k state ok state and ok they've done me well.

Cant believe crawford didnt just run it on the goalline. Ridiculous and now grier is gone.

Back