Texas Vs. Texas Tech

txtennisboy

Pretty much a regular
should be a good game....Texas lost their SR. center?.....coming off 2 come from behind games showing me some toughness in that team......few weeks ago i was really liking the red raiders to win this game.....after the 2 sub par games vs. missouri and colorado, i do not think they are ready to win in Austin.....raiders already beat a&m, which means they will most likely lose to Texas......anybody know the last year texas tech beat a&m and Texas in the same year??????

Lean: Texas -6:whip:

Going with Texas here as well. Should be able to run all day long with Charles and keep the Tech offense off the field.

should be a good game....Texas lost their SR. center?.....coming off 2 come from behind games showing me some toughness in that team......few weeks ago i was really liking the red raiders to win this game.....after the 2 sub par games vs. missouri and colorado, i do not think they are ready to win in Austin.....raiders already beat a&m, which means they will most likely lose to Texas......anybody know the last year texas tech beat a&m and Texas in the same year??????

Lean: Texas -6:whip:
He sucked anyways. His backup is better, just lacking in experience. I don't feel good about UT in this game though. Our LBs will have a nightmare game against the Tech receivers.

Should be a good game. Tech is our usual sketchy self. I will be going to the game. The only play for a Tech bet would be ML or nothing.

Have to lean to Texas at home in this one. For whatever reason, Tech doesn't play well in Austin for the most part. If this game was in Lubbock, whole other story.

Tech will get their points, but I see Texas winning this one. I think the line is about right too, so no play right now.

Bye bye to Dallas Griffin. Hello, starting center Mike Hall.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Texas senior center Griffin out for season with knee injury
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>November 5, 2007

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Texas senior center Dallas Griffin will miss the rest of the season after tearing a ligament in his right knee. Griffin tore the anterior cruciate ligament Saturday in the first half of Texas' 38-35 win over Oklahoma State, coach Mack Brown said Monday. The Longhorns (8-2, 4-2 Big 12) rallied with 24 points in the fourth quarter. "He was a leader for us," Brown said of Griffin, who was recently named a finalist for the Draddy Trophy, given to college football's top scholar athlete.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You're thinking of Lyle Sendlein who's starting for the Cardinals.

Griffin is not a big loss because his backups are better physically. I don't know if Tech plays with a nose or a nose shade, but these matchups gave Dallas Griffin problems because he's just not a big kid. We'd have to tie up a guard to get the nose blocked which would allow linebackers to make plays vs. teams that played a nose. When we down blocked and pulled Griffin (which was hardly ever because Greg Davis is an asshat) we ran the ball with more success. Or when we went two TE's vs. Nebraska and made the LB's account for extra gaps, our stretch play worked much better and took some pressure off of Dallas. To the tune of about 200 yards rushing in the 4th quarter. When we played teams that attacked our center, our stretch worked for shit because Griffin would lose the line of scrimmage and Charles would be dancing in the backfield while playside LB's ran free.

Chris Hall and Buck Burnett are more physically gifted and can hold their own vs. a nose or shaded DT without OG help, unless that DT is a stud. Especially Burnett, he just mauls people at the point of attack. Now where Dallas' loss will be felt is in blitz pickup and protection adjustments. He is a 4.0 student and an academic all-american. But hell, Nebraska blitzed the hell out of us with 3 quarters worth of success when Dallas was making line calls so his cerebralness may be overblown. Will Tech blitz? Can they afford to? I don't think their corners are athletic enough in coverage for their front 6 or 7 to sell out down after down but we'll see.

Look, Texas will put up atleast 35 in this game, so the real capping needs to be done on the other side of the ball. Be cognizant of the defensive injuries specifically to Jared Norton and Sergio Kindle. If they play they add precisely the sort of play-making ability that can stymie Tech's passing game. They're both big hitters that can punish short crossing routes, they can run to swing passes to backs out of the back-field and still tackle in space, and certainly comprise our two best blitzers, with Kindle being a special talent because he's too strong to be blocked with a back and too fast for TE's and tackles. If those two play, especially Kindle, I'll be making my first wager of the year on Texas. They're just what the doctor ordered for a basketball on grass game. Yes, I understand our safeties haven't played well, but their hands are tied when "other" linebackers are in the game.

Also, keep in mind Texas hasn't strung together 4 solid quarters this year and I think part of that can be attributed to their lacking an identity. Offensively, they've found an identity and defensively, their young talent is starting to emerge. See Kindle, Norton, Muckelroy, and Deon Beasley based on a great showing against Adarius Bowman and Dez Bryant last week. If the defense shows like I think they will in Austin (keep in mind this group has been poor-mouthed for two straight weeks) they'll roll. And they should since the blue print is there to stop this Tech offense thanks to CU and Mizzu. Can Duane Akina work a DVD player?

Again, keep tabs on injuries to Kindle, Norton, and even Eddie Jones (a defensive end that helps with depth) and you're golden. If they don't play you shouldn't. Atleast not the Texas side. Even if they don't play, I'm not sure I would trust a schizo Tech team on the road unless I'm getting double digits.

LOL. The last thing we need to worry about is the Tech defensive line...especially against those big, fat monsters that are UT's linemen. The CFB year is almost over and I still haven't seen a defensive line for Tech. Sacks, hurries and TFLs rarely, if ever, occur for the Tech D Line.

You're thinking of Lyle Sendlein who's starting for the Cardinals.

Griffin is not a big loss because his backups are better physically. I don't know if Tech plays with a nose or a nose shade, but these matchups gave Dallas Griffin problems because he's just not a big kid. We'd have to tie up a guard to get the nose blocked which would allow linebackers to make plays vs. teams that played a nose. When we down blocked and pulled Griffin (which was hardly ever because Greg Davis is an asshat) we ran the ball with more success. Or when we went two TE's vs. Nebraska and made the LB's account for extra gaps, our stretch play worked much better and took some pressure off of Dallas. To the tune of about 200 yards rushing in the 4th quarter. When we played teams that attacked our center, our stretch worked for shit because Griffin would lose the line of scrimmage and Charles would be dancing in the backfield while playside LB's ran free.

Chris Hall and Buck Burnett are more physically gifted and can hold their own vs. a nose or shaded DT without OG help, unless that DT is a stud. Especially Burnett, he just mauls people at the point of attack. Now where Dallas' loss will be felt is in blitz pickup and protection adjustments. He is a 4.0 student and an academic all-american. But hell, Nebraska blitzed the hell out of us with 3 quarters worth of success when Dallas was making line calls so his cerebralness may be overblown. Will Tech blitz? Can they afford to? I don't think their corners are athletic enough in coverage for their front 6 or 7 to sell out down after down but we'll see.

Look, Texas will put up atleast 35 in this game, so the real capping needs to be done on the other side of the ball. Be cognizant of the defensive injuries specifically to Jared Norton and Sergio Kindle. If they play they add precisely the sort of play-making ability that can stymie Tech's passing game. They're both big hitters that can punish short crossing routes, they can run to swing passes to backs out of the back-field and still tackle in space, and certainly comprise our two best blitzers, with Kindle being a special talent because he's too strong to be blocked with a back and too fast for TE's and tackles. If those two play, especially Kindle, I'll be making my first wager of the year on Texas. They're just what the doctor ordered for a basketball on grass game. Yes, I understand our safeties haven't played well, but their hands are tied when "other" linebackers are in the game.

Also, keep in mind Texas hasn't strung together 4 solid quarters this year and I think part of that can be attributed to their lacking an identity. Offensively, they've found an identity and defensively, their young talent is starting to emerge. See Kindle, Norton, Muckelroy, and Deon Beasley based on a great showing against Adarius Bowman and Dez Bryant last week. If the defense shows like I think they will in Austin (keep in mind this group has been poor-mouthed for two straight weeks) they'll roll. And they should since the blue print is there to stop this Tech offense thanks to CU and Mizzu. Can Duane Akina work a DVD player?

Again, keep tabs on injuries to Kindle, Norton, and even Eddie Jones (a defensive end that helps with depth) and you're golden. If they don't play you shouldn't. Atleast not the Texas side. Even if they don't play, I'm not sure I would trust a schizo Tech team on the road unless I'm getting double digits.
All good points. However, are you willing to bet that our coaches will put in the right LBs? Akina already said this year that the senior LBs weren't doing anything wrong on tape. So maybe he doesn't know how to work a DVD player... Akina has been overmatched as a DC this year. He is in way over his head and I don't have any faith in him to put together a gameplan even if the blueprint has already been provided. I just don't want to be spared to death by Robert Killebrew chasing Tech WRs all over the field all day.

I really don't like our two CB matchups vs the TT WR's. Foster is about 5-7, listed at 5-9. And Palmer is listed at 5-9, they're both about a buck-eighty-five a piece.

vs

6-3, 220 Micheal Crabtree, FR phenom with already 100+ catches and + 1,500 yards
LA Reid 6-1, 200 JR big WR who just came back after 4 games and had 3 catches against BU last week.
5-11, 180 Danny Amendola a SR with over 1,000 yards and 86 catches
6-1, 175 Edward Britton, SO with 33 receptions
5-8, 175 Eric Morris - very fast JR, 50 receptions

Good news for TEXAS is SR Eric Jackson is on the starting depth chart at SS again after SO Ishie Oduegwu blew several assignments for easy TD's vs NU.

TEXAS has been begging to lose a game here of late, staying away from this one right now.

Kindle is playing and probably could've played last week. That kid is going to be the next Derrick Johnson for Texas. Damn has the light switch come on this sophmore year for him.

You've got to be impressed with how Beasley played last week and that should help with Texas having 3 pretty good corners to put on the field.

for all you horn fans,

how would you rate yalls d-line this year? is it your typical line full of super freak athletes??

what disrupts our offense is penetration from the d line....

for those of you who have been to DKR Memorial, how is section 14? we bought tickets from the texas box office, and it looks like it is a corner section in an end zone. any suggestions or comments on section 14?

after talking to a Texas alum today.......leaning back toward the raiders with the points.......probably be a very close game......i think the raiders can score......so will the horns......what is the the over/under?

for all you horn fans,

how would you rate yalls d-line this year? is it your typical line full of super freak athletes??

what disrupts our offense is penetration from the d line....

for those of you who have been to DKR Memorial, how is section 14? we bought tickets from the texas box office, and it looks like it is a corner section in an end zone. any suggestions or comments on section 14?
D line is the strength of our defense. We rotate 3 DTs, 1 of which will be an NFL player and the other two have a shot. However, we don't get as much pressure as I'd like since our DTs job is mainly to hold the point of attack.Thats usually on the LBs in our blitz packages and depending on which LB team is in there, we are either good or terrible at blitzing. We have a great DE in Brian Orakpo and some younger guys who are contributing. However, I still wouldn't say we're a high pressure team.

Section 14 is the visitors section. Lower level, in the corner, right by where the visiting team comes out. They've recently finished redoing that whole end of the stadium and moved it closer to the endline.

Texas Tech recent grass history.

At oklahoma loss 24-34
AT iowa state win 42 -26
At colorado loss 6 - 30
At Tamu win 31-27
at tcu loss 3-12
at texas loss 17 -52
at tamu loss 25 - 32
at oklahoma loss 13-28
at new mexico loss 24 - 27
at texas loss 40-43
at mississippi win 49-45
at ncstate loss 21-49
at oklahoma loss 15 -60
at colorado loss 13 - 37
at iowa state loss 17 -31

that is a record of 3-12 in their last 15 games on grass.

last year they averaged 38.5 points per game on turf and just 21.2 points per game on grass

in 2005 they averaged 44.6 points per game on turf and just 17 points per game on grass

in 2004 they averaged 40.8 points per game on turf and just 20.7 points per game on grass

Maybe they should consider practicing on artificial turf to get better at playing on grass.

From a handicapping standpoint , those numbers are not just significant they are fucking startling.

I will note that one of their high scoring offensive games over that span was in Austin in a narrow loss.

Vegas,
Good numbers, but you left out bowl games played on grass. Houston Bowl vs. Navy (w), Holiday Bowl vs Cal (w), Cotton Bowl vs Alabama (L) and Insight Bowl vs Minnesota (w). These W's & L's dont effect the grass record very much, but thought you could include those stats.

Are yall going to lay the 6.5 or take the points? Saturday can't come soon enough.

ynn, yes i actually forgot to include those. I won't be betting it at all. For me to lay the better part of a td , i need to have great confidence that Texas wins by double digits. Tech , IF they are behind double digits , still has the type of offense to to come back and get a late score. Should be a great game to watch. I say Texas by 9. Gl to all that bet it.

I am playing Texas, but I agree with most that it will be close. Texas has played to level of their competition all year. If they are playing Arkansas St or OU, it doesn't matter.

congrats all texas backers.........the refs were bleeding texas orange.........1st td was a joke.....not sure what the booth was looking at.......tech gets the cover if the refs call the obvious interference at the end.....gave texas a extra td.......always next week.....i'll have my money all over someone as i'll be at the game in lubbock

txtennis: those calls could go either way. i was at the game, in the middle of all the burnt orange. i have to say UT fans are some of the classiest i have ever experienced. great atmosphere, too. its not hard to see why UT is in the national championship hunt every year with the facilities and alumni base that they boast. was a great weekend, regardless of the outcome of the game. no matter what way you look at it, the better team clearly won. tech's defense is a joke.

Back