Texas vs Oklahoma State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I get to cover Texas yet again. And I will back them yet again. Feel free to discuss and BOL

Texas a Live Dog vs Oklahoma State

Texas (3-3) hosts #10 Oklahoma State (5-1) this Saturday at 12:00 PM ET. Oklahoma State opened as 6 point favorites, but that number has been bet up to 7.

In TCU's defeat of Oklahoma State, they uncovered a recipe for slowing down the Cowboys' elite offense. They made the Cowboys one-dimensional by stopping their run game, limited big passing plays, controlled time of possession and penetrated the backfield.

Texas excels in these respects against quarterback- or pass-centered offenses, because their defense customarily features extra defensive backs, while their front seven can still apply pressure to the quarterback. Whereas they allowed a combined 75 points against Maryland and Kansas State's run-heavy offenses, they covered against USC, Oklahoma and Iowa State. The Longhorns reduced Oklahoma to 12.3 yards per pass, USC to 7.8 and Iowa State to 5.0.

Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando can utilize various packages in order to mask the source of defensive pressure, which can come from any part of his defense. The speed and tackling efficiency of Texas' linebackers and defensive backs maximize their potential in Orlando's aggressive scheme. The versatility of coverage and blitzing abilities of linebacker Malik Jefferson and strong safety DeShon Elliot is most conducive to Orlando's creativity, which will be seminal to keeping Oklahoma State one-dimensional on offense and in harder passing situations. Texas ranks 28th in allowing 3.6 yards per carry and 5th in allowing offenses to convert 26% of their third downs.

Whereas they failed to cover in their opener against Maryland because they created little pressure in the backfield, the Longhorns are averaging 3 sacks per game in the last 3 games, which amounts to ranking in the top 20. They covered in each of those games. As Orlando's players better conceptualize his complex style, they come with momentum against a Cowboys offensive line whose chemistry is impaired by injuries and position-switching. Orlando has the added advantage of not having to prepare for a mobile quarterback. While accounting for Mayfield's ability to run, Texas missed sacks and committed mental lapses, but still contributed to his worst game of the season.

In Texas, as in TCU, the Cowboys meet another deep secondary stacked with physical talent. Texas' secondary enjoys size and length, which will create more pressure for Rudolph to pass accurately. Their defense also showed grit in adjusting and helping to overcome a 20 point deficit last week vs an Oklahoma offense that is balanced and runs a lot of confusing misdirections and disguises. Oklahoma State is 40-2 since 2008 when they win the turnover battle. Texas, however, leads the Big 12 with 9 interceptions.

The dual-threat quarterback Sam Ehlinger led Texas with 278 pass yards and 110 rush yards against Oklahoma. He is a threat in the air with the short passing game that compensates for the weakness of his offensive line. Against Oklahoma State, he can count on the superbly talented and well-sized circus-catch amassing receiver, Collin Johnson, to snap out of his inconsistency, re-earn his place atop the depth chart and make the kind of impact that he did vs USC. Running back Chris Warren out of the backfield and other receivers, a number of whom are young but talented especially in the open field, can step up. Ehlinger also excelled on the ground when coverage was strong or in designed run plays such as the misdirection. Ehlinger helps his defense by, like TCU, controlling time of possession. Texas ranks 20th in the category.

The Verdict

Texas has rewarded bettors through their ability to achieve stronger pressure and limit quarterback-centered offenses. Their ability to force interceptions, control time of possession with Ehlinger, limit the opposing run game and opponents' third down conversion will also be decisive against Oklahoma State.

NCAAF Pick: Texas +7

Last edited:
It is up.

My going 5 words over the limit is surely a conspiracy to slowly work my way towards being able to write longer articles again...

I think you are right about the OkSt OL, it was an issue vs TCU. And the Texas O is something that makes me feel they can compete here. I don't share your confidence in the Texas pass D however. You cite them limiting OU to 12.3 yards per pass attempt, I saw several big plays out of OU in that pass game and it looks like OU was 12.74 ypa before, so vs the best pass O Horns have faced they allowed OU to about get to their average. Think TCU was better positioned to matchup on D vs OkSt, but it could certainly work out that Texas gets it done here. I'm not saying they can't, just I'm not as optimistic about it.

They need to not bust coverage but I think their mental mistakes will be less and less as they progress with Todd Orlando, whose scheme I think matches up best against air attack. I also think they can get points off a couple turnovers. And I love Ehlinger to keep them in the game.

Last edited:
- Not liking this 11 AM kick. We're off 2 bruising games and could use a good crowd / energy. Unlikely to see that with our crowd.
- Okie State has had 2 weeks to prep for Texas.
- Good point re: Rudolph and lack of mobility. Plays right into the hands of Orlando.
- Our DBs seem to be digressing and I'm sure they'll bust several coverages as OU's receiving corp is nothing compared to OSU's.
- Ehlinger is the only RB we have, he's taking way too many hits and that's not going to last long. He was knocked out for several seconds after that hit last weekend. Hopefully he's fine.
- Collin Johnson didn't show up vs. OU and seems to be in Herman's doghouse. He was big early in the season but hasn't shown up recently. Big time talent, big time inconsistency.
- On a side note I think Justice Hill is going to be a star. Still a sophomore and doesn't get a lot of mention w/ OSU's throwing, but that guy has all the tools and will be a really nice player on Sunday.

We're a resilient team but as mentioned above OSU has had 2 weeks to prep and we're coming off some really tough, physical and emotional games.

Dare I say 2 weeks of prep can equal complacency? Yes, I'm on UT and the ML, think they disturb Rudolph's rhythm, mind you I'm a James Washington fanboy

- Not liking this 11 AM kick. We're off 2 bruising games and could use a good crowd / energy. Unlikely to see that with our crowd.
- Okie State has had 2 weeks to prep for Texas.
- Good point re: Rudolph and lack of mobility. Plays right into the hands of Orlando.
- Our DBs seem to be digressing and I'm sure they'll bust several coverages as OU's receiving corp is nothing compared to OSU's.
- Ehlinger is the only RB we have, he's taking way too many hits and that's not going to last long. He was knocked out for several seconds after that hit last weekend. Hopefully he's fine.
- Collin Johnson didn't show up vs. OU and seems to be in Herman's doghouse. He was big early in the season but hasn't shown up recently. Big time talent, big time inconsistency.
- On a side note I think Justice Hill is going to be a star. Still a sophomore and doesn't get a lot of mention w/ OSU's throwing, but that guy has all the tools and will be a really nice player on Sunday.

We're a resilient team but as mentioned above OSU has had 2 weeks to prep and we're coming off some really tough, physical and emotional games.

With Johnson and the secondary I feel like there is so much physical talent just waiting to reveal itself. That one busted coverage in the 2h was decisive for the game but ultimately they stiffened after a terrible start and gave Mayfield almost his worst qb in a game on the season. Back to physical talent: same with Warren at running back, whose still useful out of the backfield. Same with some of the younger but hardly played wide receivers who are supposed to be studs in open field and thus potentially awesome in the short-passing offense. But the secondary also gets help, as does the rushing, from the versatile options available to Orlando due to the speed of athletic freaks like Jefferson. Ehlinger has taken some hits, but Buechele isn't exactly a liability either?

I don't intend any offense to Frank, whose expertise on his own friends is always deeply appreciated and whose boost to discussion probably explains why my Texas articles seem to from the most discussion, which is a reason why I like covering them. But I feel like fans are always so pessimistic about their own teams and that this pessimism expresses itself everytime in Frank's analysis. Granted nobody is ever perfectly neutral in his analysis so i'm not trying to single Frank out.

It's okay to single me out. When you've been worn down with 8 years of mediocrity (or worse) it's sometimes difficult to be overly optimistic. But whether I show it or not, I'm confident in Herman. There's just going to be some growing pains with him and we're in the middle of them.

I fully expect to be on this board in 2 years crowing about my team in early November with a chance to play in the Final 4. Jinx be damned.

Thanks for your contributions.

Back