Texas vs Oklahoma Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
A Defense Exposed! Back Texas vs Reeling Oklahoma

Texas (3-2) hosts #12 Oklahoma (4-1) this Saturday at 3:30 PM ET in the 112th Red River Rivalry game. Oklahoma is favored by 8 points. The total opened at 63 points, but has been bet up to 65.5.

The key question facing Oklahoma is whether they can resolve their defensive issues.

Oklahoma had given up 37 points in their first 3 games combined, all wins, including a 31-16 victory over Ohio State. Then, however, the Sooners escaped Baylor 49-41 and lost to Iowa State 38-31. Baylor established the blueprint against Oklahoma's defense: quick passes in the middle of the field and towards the sidelines. This tactic spreads out Oklahoma's defense, counters the influence of their safeties and defensive line and creates one-on-one matchups with Oklahoma's corners.

Sooners fans are positing online the conspiracy theory that former Head Coach Bob Stoops saw this catastrophe coming, but couldn't fire his defensive coordinator, who is his brother. He therefore retired. Mike Stoops still has his position, but doesn't seem qualified for it. Baylor quarterback Zach Smith had a career game against Stoops' defense, going 33/50 for 463 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Iowa State's Kyle Kempt made his first career start against Oklahoma, going 18/24 for 343 yards, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Texas will easily possess the talent to exploit Oklahoma's weakness in the secondary. It seems implausible that Oklahoma can fix its issues in a week and contain an even more talented pass attack. Texas' refusal to name a starting quarterback forces Oklahoma to prepare for both Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger. Both have a similar skillset as dual threat quarterbacks.

Ehlinger, as the healthier option, started against Kansas State. Despite Texas' lack of depth on its offensive line, and facing a talented Kansas State defensive line, Ehlinger was not sacked once and was hurried twice. He ran for 100 yards, while throwing for nearly 400.

He maintains impressive pocket presence. From within the pocket, Ehlinger has a strong arm to fit passes into tight windows while he also ably executes touch passes. He also excels at escaping pressure and eluding defenders with his athleticism and agility.

Historically, Oklahoma struggles against mobile quarterbacks. For example, Ohio State's J.T. Barrett was an incessant scrambling threat vs Oklahoma. Ehlinger possesses the mobility and decision-making with which to execute. He already displayed against Kansas State his adeptness at executing the kind of throws that irk Oklahoma's defense, the quick, short passes towards the middle of the field and the sidelines. Ehlinger executed from the shotgun endless quick ins, pivots while rolling out, screens, and curls near the sidelines.

Collin Johnson, who is blossoming into an elite receiver, is Ehlinger's top target. Johnson is taller than Oklahoma's starting cornerbacks by 6 inches. He is skilled at creating separation from defensive backs, catching balls within an extensive range and otherwise making circus catches. Johnson brings similar physical tangibles--namely size and big-play ability--that the wide receiving corps of Baylor and Iowa State optimized against Oklahoma.

Oklahoma has yet to show that they can even come close to containing Texas' kind of offensive scheme, quarterback mobility and size at wide receiver.

The question facing Texas is whether their defense will perform as they did against Maryland and Kansas State or against USC and Iowa State.

Texas succeeded against USC and Iowa State, both pass-heavy offenses. They struggled against Maryland and Kansas State, both run-heavy offenses that utilize the option attack and balance between a perimeter and inside running game. Texas' defense thrives when they are able to be aggressive and utilize the speed of their linebackers. Texas' defense, however, struggles against offensive schemes that demand greater discipline, assignment-following and fundamental soundness.

Oklahoma excels at various read plays, which allow either quarterback Baker Mayfield to run or, depending on the play, to hand the ball to one of his able running backs, the bruiser Trey Sermon, or the speedy big-play threat Abdul Adams, or throw a screen on the perimeter. The Sooners like to elicit through additional misdirection plays the aggressive over-pursuit of defenders to their advantage by allowing Mayfield to utilize his diverse skillset at wide receiver. Texas' defense is fast, but its youthfulness can cause it to be a step behind Oklahoma's creative offense. Texas' vulnerability to the big-passing play can be disastrous against Oklahoma's air-raid propensity.

Texas' defense will be its offense. Decisive in this game will be Texas' ability to control time of possession and keep Oklahoma's offense off the field.

The Verdict

Neither Texas' undisciplined defense nor Oklahoma's exposed defense will be ready for the opposing team's offense. Both teams will strive to control time of possession--Texas with its short passing attack and Oklahoma with its balanced offense. But even if Oklahoma executes large passing plays, expect Texas to potentially achieve an upset.

NCAAF Pick: Texas +8

Last edited:
Haha, yeah. OU's D often let's them down in either a big game or unexpected loss isn't it? No doubt that Lincoln will be making some changes to the staff after this year to make it more to his liking.

Pretty sure I like this Texas play. Only hesitation is going against OU after that loss. But at any rate like the Texas D. Like the recent history Texas has vs OU. Like Herman. Texas O took a big step and impressed me last week. Ehlinger looking more the part. Don't like Texas FG kicking, but hopefully it isn't an issue.

Look forward to reading the preview!

They were sure motivated vs the Buckeyes. But the Buckeyes don't have the weapons at wide receiver that Texas does, especially Charles Johnson, especially when he quits dropping the easy passes that our amigo Frank Costanza was talking about last week. OU 24-2 SU after a loss but I feel like that's a trivially true statistic since they don't lose often. I think OU's defense is fadeworthy until they show otherwisw. Danke, amigo.

As a UT grad I'm of course hoping we can pull off a win, but honestly lean OU. Granted I have a overly pessimistic view of Texas, I need to see one more strong defensive effort before feeling the corner has turned for UT. I see this as a big rebound game for OU, with last week being a bit of a look ahead to UT. Also feel since Texas has been playing like Maryland was an anomaly, OU players are not going to take them lightly.

Good luck Cavs

It obviously helps that Herman, Orlando, the DL coach, OL coach, and atleast a couple other position coaches just played Oklahoma 17 games ago in the 2016 opener. In that sense it is like they aren't first year Big Xll coaches this week, it is more like they are in year two against a familiar opponent.

Heat is likely to be a very big factor in this game. It's been kicking off at 11:00 AM the past several years but moved to 2:30 this season. Forecasted high is 92 to 95 degrees with lots of humidity. It's going to be nasty. I've been to every Texas / OU game since '94 and don't ever recall temperatures like we're supposed to have. It will be interesting to see which defense is standing in the 4th quarter. Neither may be in very good shape.

Write-up is up. Glad that there are so many Texas experts here. Feel free to criticize (especially before the article gets published!) and of course discuss. Took an exam today so I had extra time today to gather some video footage online and do extra research. Hopefully its all helpful. BOL and go Horns

Texas seems to have figured things out on offense with Ehlinger, whereas OU's defense is exposed, reeling.

Discussion for fun the conspiracy theory: Bob Stoops left in anticipation of a sinking ship, but didn't want to get rid of his brother.

smoa1a's comment about a look ahead to UT may be to the Longhorn's detrement if true. Certainly plausible, and inexcusable. Serves OU right if they bypassed ISU for this reason. Either way, certainly a must watch for any football fan, regardless of who you cheer for.

smoa1a's comment about a look ahead to UT may be to the Longhorn's detrement if true. Certainly plausible, and inexcusable. Serves OU right if they bypassed ISU for this reason. Either way, certainly a must watch for any football fan, regardless of who you cheer for.

Normally I would agree. But they pulled the same garbage vs Baylor. So two look-aheads? I can't buy that a team would take two byes in a row. As soon as they started to face the things I mentioned in my article, which they hadn't really before, against teams more familiar with them, they started to get shredded defensively. I also disagree because Texas isn't even ranked.

The fact that IT is not ranked hoes out the window. This is still arguably one of the top-3 rivalry games in NCAA football.

Baylor us getting better. Couldn't get worse, but they will upset someone this year and it won't come as a surp6to me.

The fact that IT is not ranked hoes out the window. This is still arguably one of the top-3 rivalry games in NCAA football.

Baylor us getting better. Couldn't get worse, but they will upset someone this year and it won't come as a surp6to me.

Baylor only scored half as many points as they did vs OU against every other team that they faced besides Liberty. The team is garbage. I think it's contradictory of you to try to praise Baylor for scoring 41 against OU but then excuse OU for giving up 38 against ISU. Even if they were thinking about Texas, although they dominated the last time they faced garbage before facing Texas (2 years ago, 44-24 win at home), the defensive performance vs Baylor is a huge red flag. And ISU could follow Baylor's blueprint.

The hateful comments against Stoops and the atmosphere of alarm in OU suggest imo that most people agree that something is really wrong with OU's defense, which had not been tested before facing Baylor and an ISU team that they had beaten like 18 times in a row

I just can't buy looking ahead to an unranked team. And ISU played them pretty tough last year, so not really a lookahead candidate

Last edited:
A 31 point line, many wins in a row, a lookahead to Texas and that late news that Park wasn't playing probably led OU to believe they'd simply walk over ISU.

I expect them to play really well Saturday, especially Mayfield. He hates Texas, always will. Grew up 20 minutes from campus and didn't get a sniff. Now he didn't get a sniff from a lot of teams but Texas will always hold a special place in his heart.
He's 1-1 in this series w/ good #s - 42 of 59, 601 yds, 4/2. I expect his best game in the last one he'll play in the Cotton Bowl.

A 31 point line, many wins in a row, a lookahead to Texas and that late news that Park wasn't playing probably led OU to believe they'd simply walk over ISU.

I expect them to play really well Saturday, especially Mayfield. He hates Texas, always will. Grew up 20 minutes from campus and didn't get a sniff. Now he didn't get a sniff from a lot of teams but Texas will always hold a special place in his heart.
He's 1-1 in this series w/ good #s - 42 of 59, 601 yds, 4/2. I expect his best game in the last one he'll play in the Cotton Bowl.

Shouldn't that close call against a depleted Baylor have warned Oklahoma not to take anyone seriously.

Yea but look at Baker's last game in Austin. Rather subpar.

Last year was part of a 3 game road stretch in which Texas gave up almost 150 points! Baker has good numbers against basically everyone, anyways.

My editor criticized me for allegedly not remembering that I am writing for a betting site...I left out trends and instead spoke of strategical aspects that one can locate in newspapers...but can't you just find trends at oddsshark or covers? ...these trends are more relevant to readers, like trends dating to when Baker wasn't even at OU?

I can't even read the published version and I surely won't show it to friends. I think I got promoted cause I ignored some criticism from editors not despite. I want to add depth and include info that is hard to find, make sense of and reason with, not just list trends like a tout

Good job, Cavs.

I agree with leaving out trends. Texas and Oklahoma both have new head coaches and Texas has an entirely new staff. Therefore, trends--unless they are trends of 2017 games only--are useless.

There are a couple of things I would add: Oklahoma has injuries at the two positions they can least afford an injury--WR and DB. The Oklahoma passing attack is not the same without Lamb, the freshman wide receiver, as was proved last week when Lamb went out with a shoulder injury in the first quarter with OU leading 14-0. As of yesterday, he had not practiced this week and is listed as doubtful. Also, Parker, OU's most experienced and most athletic DB left the game with an injury and OU cannot lose another DB. Parker had "limited practice" yesterday and will try and play.

I'm not sure what Riley has in mind with the way he is handling Mayfield. Mayfield's ego, as anyone can see, is out of control. The guy thinks he is a media star who just happens to play football and it has started to show in his play the last couple of games. This week, Riley allowed Mayfield to field questions for 18 minutes--just Mayfield, no other players or coaches--during a press conference. That makes no sense. For comparison, before last years title game, Saban did not allow Hurts to speak to the media at all. Sweeny let Watson face the press for 10 minutes, but that was along with two coaches and two other offensive players. Watson fielded three questions. Mayfield has shown he can be a force, but I think Riley's inexperience may be showing in not reining him in.

In addition, Iowa State had Lanning spy Mayfield after the first quarter last week and it was clear it shut down his scrambling. I expect everyone to do the same the rest of the, especially since only Lamb among OU WRs has shown he can get separation. Lanning had the game of a lifetime, but Texas has excellent athletes at linebacker who can do the job.

The two defenses are almost identical statistically and the two teams have played comparable schedules, but I get the feel Texas is more aggressive and plays harder on defense. Oklahoma will play harder this week for sure, but I doubt there is anyone in the country who does not think Mike Stoops is outmatched by the Texas staff.

I lean the same way you to to taking Texas and the points, but haven't made up my mind. I got my undergraduate degree from OU and I pass this game a lot of the time because I can never be sure whether my emotions are influencing my analysis.

Anyone who attended either school has so many great memories of the party surrounding the game it is hard to be objective.

I may skip taking a side and take a shot at the total.

Who would you rather have as your D coordinator?

C3KchjN.jpg

OR

IlcuDihk.jpg

C3KchjN.jpg

On paper, Jordan Thomas is OU's best CB and he's been torched the last 2 weeks.

Been holding OU to FGs to keep alive. Not sure Hager would've out run everyone from that far away. Tex is hanging in there after rough start.

Man i knew those boise and asu +7.5 2h plays were sharp trap plays but only played tenn and florida as line plays and lost damn it. Neeed to be more trigger happy. Still a great day as asu will cover fg as well

Back