Texas vs Kansas State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's get a new week started. The first article of the week is possibly always the hardest due to a little "rust." Writing takes practice. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to discuss and BOL amigos

Back Talented Texas to Cover vs Overrated Kansas State

Texas hosts Kansas State this Saturday at 7:00 PM ET. Texas opened as 5.5 point favorites, but that number has dropped to 3.5. The game total opened at 52, but currently sits at 49.5.

The key match-up to watch is Shane Buechele vs Kansas State's secondary.

Buechele looks to end Texas' search for a starting quarterback. As a recruit, Buechele's athleticism and agility as a runner was most impressive. As the sophomore matures, he is improving his pocket presence, his decision-making, and his mechanical consistency. While he can always achieve massive runs, he can't overlook open wide receivers in order to scramble.

Last year, Buechele didn't have a go-to receiver. No receiver had more than 420 yards or 3 touchdowns. This year, Collin Johnson is enriching the depth in Texas' wide receiver corps by stepping up as Buechele's primary receiver. The well-sized and athletic sophomore combined for 316 yards against Maryland and USC, one more yard than he had all of last season.

Last season, Kansas State was 122nd in passing yards allowed per game. Buechele had his best performance in terms of QB rating at Kansas State. This season, Kansas State's secondary is without its leader in safety Dante Barnett.

Kansas State's secondary regresses only somewhat due to the improvement of their veteran defensive backs. However, Collin Johnson is an athletic monster at 6'6 and, with the attention that his talented teammates will attract, can exploit a Kansas State secondary whose top two cornerbacks are vastly undersized at 5'9.

The offensive line is Texas' major concern. Texas' rush attack has been anemic due to struggles in protection, which lost its All-American left tackle to the season. However, Kansas State also lost the Big 12 Player of the Year, Defensive End Jordan Willis, and its two leading tacklers from last season. The Wildcats' defensive line still boasts First Team All-Big 12 defensive tackle Will Geary and 2016 Big 12 Freshman of the Year Reggie Walker.

Buechele is a mobile quarterback who excels at eluding pressure. Texas has also resolved with success to rely increasingly on a quick-passing game. The Longhorns' offense will continue to thrive in the quick-passing game, which alleviates the worry surrounding their protection. Kansas State's linebacking corps and secondary lack the quality to contain Texas' depth at wide receiver. Collin Johnson boasts the key match-up advantage.

Texas' biggest question on defense is its ability to contain mobile quarterbacks.

Last season, the Wildcats relied on quarterback Jesse Ertz for 78 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns in order to defeat Texas. Texas' defense was soft and played with a cushion. The Longhorns have surely learned to not play a bend-but-don't-break defense against a fundamentally sound but conservative Kansas State offense.

Todd Orlando, formerly Houston's Defensive Coordinator, is now with Texas. Orlando imbues his players with an aggressive style of play that will help them contain Ertz, the same kind that allowed his Cougars to shut down dual-threat superstar quarterback Lamar Jackson.

The linebackers underperformed last season. But this year, former top prospect Malik Jefferson is thriving under Orlando. Jefferson utilizes his speed in pursuit to become a force in all parts of the field. He attacks opposing ball carriers with immediate explosiveness. He excels in the opposing backfield but is also athletic enough to assist in pass coverage.

Texas' ability to apply pressure in the backfield helped them to defeat Iowa State and nearly upset USC. Conversely, Kansas State's inability to prevent pressure in the backfield contributed to its upset loss against Vanderbilt.

Jefferson and Anthony Wheeler should cause significant disruption in the backfield and stop Ertz also thanks to their defensive line. Poona Ford is an NFL-caliber defensive tackle who excels at achieving leverage underneath blockers, bursting through gaps and instinctually recognizing offensive schemes. Ford is complemented by depth and upside that will help create the holes to maximize the impact of Texas' partially undersized linebackers.

Texas' secondary is benefitting from Holton Hill's recovery from his sophomore slump and the improved consistency of former track star Kris Boyd, whose speed complements Hill's size and physicality. Texas possesses the talent at safety, as well, to contain Kansas State wide receiving star Byron Pringle.

The Verdict

Texas' defense is equipped to contain the depth and talent of Kansas State's rushing attack. Texas' defense also boasts the size, speed and talent, and has benefitted from a more aggressive scheme, in order to prove itself against a mobile quarterback, especially one, like Ertz, who is uncomfortable throwing down the field.

On offense, Texas can rely on Buechele and a talented and deep wide receiving corps, now led by Johnson, to exploit Kansas State's weakness at linebacker and its lack of height in the secondary. Texas is already gaining proficiency in the short-passing game to obviate its weakness in protection.

NCAAF Pick: Texas -3.5

Last edited:
"Overrated" just refers to the early line movement. Every team has weaknesses and Texas' o-line is theirs. But I think the match-up against a bend-but-don't-break defense with its own set of particular weaknesses favors Texas here and the o line should be a non-factor at the end of the day. Texas' d line probably isn't as talented as their linebacking corps but i'm confident that they can open up enough holes against K state to prevent the lack of size of especially their leader Jefferson from hurting them.

BOL

Let's get a new week started. The first article of the week is possibly always the hardest due to a little "rust." Writing takes practice. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to discuss and BOL amigos

Back Talented Texas to Cover vs Overrated Kansas State

Texas hosts Kansas State this Saturday at 7:00 PM ET. Texas opened as 5.5 point favorites, but that number has dropped to 3.5. The game total opened at 52, but currently sits at 49.5.

The key match-up to watch is Shane Buechele vs Kansas State's secondary.

Buechele looks to end Texas' search for a starting quarterback. As a recruit, Buechele's athleticism and agility as a runner was most impressive. As the sophomore matures, he is improving his pocket presence, his decision-making, and his mechanical consistency. While he can always achieve massive runs, he can't overlook open wide receivers in order to scramble.

Last year, Buechele didn't have a go-to receiver. No receiver had more than 420 yards or 3 touchdowns. This year, Collin Johnson is enriching the depth in Texas' wide receiver corps by stepping up as Buechele's primary receiver. The well-sized and athletic sophomore combined for 316 yards against Maryland and USC, one more yard than he had all of last season.

Last season, Kansas State was 122nd in passing yards allowed per game. Buechele had his best performance in terms of QB rating at Kansas State. This season, Kansas State's secondary is without its leader in safety Dante Barnett.

Kansas State's secondary regresses only somewhat due to the improvement of their veteran defensive backs. However, Collin Johnson is an athletic monster at 6'6 and, with the attention that his talented teammates will attract, can exploit a Kansas State secondary whose top two cornerbacks are vastly undersized at 5'9.

The offensive line is Texas' major concern. Texas' rush attack has been anemic due to struggles in protection, which lost its All-American left tackle to the season. However, Kansas State also lost the Big 12 Player of the Year, Defensive End Jordan Willis, and its two leading tacklers from last season. The Wildcats' defensive line still boasts First Team All-Big 12 defensive tackle Will Geary and 2016 Big 12 Freshman of the Year Reggie Walker.

Buechele is a mobile quarterback who excels at eluding pressure. Texas has also resolved with success to rely increasingly on a quick-passing game. The Longhorns' offense will continue to thrive in the quick-passing game, which alleviates the worry surrounding their protection. Kansas State's linebacking corps and secondary lack the quality to contain Texas' depth at wide receiver. Collin Johnson boasts the key match-up advantage.

Texas' biggest question on defense is its ability to contain mobile quarterbacks.

Last season, the Wildcats relied on quarterback Jesse Ertz for 78 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns in order to defeat Texas. Texas' defense was soft and played with a cushion. The Longhorns have surely learned to not play a bend-but-don't-break defense against a fundamentally sound but conservative Kansas State offense.

Tom Howard, formerly Houston's Defensive Coordinator, is now with Texas. Howard imbues his players with an aggressive style of play that will help them contain Ertz, the same kind that allowed his Cougars to shut down dual-threat superstar quarterback Lamar Jackson.

The linebackers underperformed last season. But this year, former top prospect Malik Jefferson is thriving under Howard. Jefferson utilizes his speed in pursuit to become a force in all parts of the field. He attacks opposing ball carriers with immediate explosiveness. He excels in the opposing backfield but is also athletic enough to assist in pass coverage.

Texas' ability to apply pressure in the backfield helped them to defeat Iowa State and nearly upset USC. Conversely, Kansas State's inability to prevent pressure in the backfield contributed to its upset loss against Vanderbilt.

Jefferson and Anthony Wheeler should cause significant disruption in the backfield and stop Ertz also thanks to their defensive line. Poona Ford is an NFL-caliber defensive tackle who excels at achieving leverage underneath blockers, bursting through gaps and instinctually recognizing offensive schemes. Ford is complemented by depth and upside that will help create the holes to maximize the impact of Texas' partially undersized linebackers.

Texas' secondary is benefitting from Holton Hill's recovery from his sophomore slump and the improved consistency of former track star Kris Boyd, whose speed complements Hill's size and physicality. Texas possesses the talent at safety, as well, to contain Kansas State wide receiving star Byron Pringle.

The Verdict

Texas' defense is equipped to contain the depth and talent of Kansas State's rushing attack. Texas' defense also boasts the size, speed and talent, and has benefitted from a more aggressive scheme, in order to prove itself against a mobile quarterback, especially one, like Ertz, who is uncomfortable throwing down the field.

On offense, Texas can rely on Buechele and a talented and deep wide receiving corps, now led by Johnson, to exploit Kansas State's weakness at linebacker and its lack of height in the secondary. Texas is already gaining proficiency in the short-passing game to obviate its weakness in protection.

NCAAF Pick: Texas -3.5
I'm on this. Got it at -4 earlier today

Similar reasoning to mine?
On another game I can't believe Washington st. Is getting points against Oregon. I'm not real sure on the injuries to those guys that where hurt. They. Could be on there 3rd string quarterback. Thing I'm worried about playing the cougs is the hard fought battle against USC and the game is Eugene. I wanna load up and but a large amount on it but just can't pull the trigger.

Thanks for your continued write ups on the games.

I concur w/ much of your analysis keeping tabs on things here in Austin and having watched all of K-State's last two vs. Vandy and Baylor.

Some notes:
- Texas hasn’t had a really good QB in 8 years and that’s not changed this season. Buechele is decent when healthy but in a boot right now with a dinged up ankle from last Thursday. Sounds like he will play but <100%. He's got average mobility with good wheels, so this injury doesn’t help. I'm guessing Ehlinger gets snaps in this game. Either way, our QBs just need to play within their means and let the WRs do their thing as that is a big mismatch v. K-State's secondary.
- Our o-line is very thin right now and giving Buechele / Ehlinger time to throw will be a big part of this game.
- Hoping we will see freshman RB Toneil Carter this weekend. People are (still) enamored with Chris Warren, for some reason. He’s an underwhelming plodder along w/ the other guy getting snaps at RB (Kyle Porter). Carter is talented and athletic so I'm hoping he gets a lot of snaps this weekend.
- I think you mean Todd Orlando (as the Texas DC). The defense’s performance is night and day over a year ago, and even over that debacle vs. Maryland in week 1. They’re athletic and now playing with discipline and tackling really well. The 2nd attribute is really the key at the lack of it will get you killed with the K State’s offense. Our corners are good and can get on an island to further strengthen the run defense.
- I’ll defer to K-State experts but watching them the last 8 quarters it seems that they’re sorely lacking in speed and athleticism at WR and in the secondary. Seems like Snyder usually plugs in JUCOs there with some pretty elite talent. Pringle seems to fit that mold this season but not anyone else. Will hang up and listen on this.

This feels like the K-State / Vandy game with a few more points, 24-13 like. The under has and continues to warrant a strong look.

Thanks for the extra thoughts and the correction Frank.
It's interesting...I was going to hype Warren in my preview based on what I researched until I saw that he got moved down in the depth chart.
I really hope that Buechele is able to move in the pocket. His injury definitely strengthens an 'under' bet. How should he survive K State's able pass rush? But i'd like to look forward to Texas growing in its quick passing game. I wonder how K State should adjust to that.

In fact. Locking in: Texas/Kansas State 'Under' 51

Texas offensive line looks even more depleted and sounds like Ehlinger will be getting quite a few of the snaps.

Sans turnovers / short fields just feels like it will be really tough for this total to get to (now) 49.5.

Agree under is strong play. K State is sort of UT's kryptonite, so I'm hesitant to back my horns on the spread.

I haven't seen much of Kstate so my opinion means little. Really just going off recent history.

Personally, imo Ehlinger gives us better chance and I'd rather see him get more experience than playing a banged up Beuchelle

Agree on Ehlinger. (Any) mobility is going to be essential tomorrow because that o-line ain't likely to provide much (if any) protection.

I think 20 points, max, wins this game.

Really don't know how anyone could disagree with the under. As long as Snyder continues to run his patented "slow-up" offense, this game will end fast. Surely, it will be the first to finish in it's timeslot.

Fun fact on K State. I ran this in Bet Labs...when Snyder is a full game dog and K State does not LOSE the 1st half spread by more than 17 points - K State is 15-5 on the 2nd half spread. So if UT covers the 1st half, I'll play K State 2nd half.

Last edited:
Fun fact on K State. I ran this in Bet Labs...when Snyder is a full game dog and K State does not cover the 1st half spread by no more than 17 points - K State is 15-5 on the 2nd half spread. So if UT covers the 1st half, I'll play K State 2nd half.
I maybe reading this wrong, but will you be playing 2nd H in K-State if they are not leading by 20.

I maybe reading this wrong, but will you be playing 2nd H in K-State if they are not leading by 20.
No. K State is an underdog in the game. K State is also +3 for the first half. If at the half Texas is winning by 4 to 21 points, I will bet on K State on the 2nd half spread.

Solid read, thank you for the effort - wish I had it in me to post like this hah. Been leaning Texas all week and perhaps this tips me over.

My outlet is showing 6.5 to 7, I can't lay that with this Texas offense, but hope it hits for all you guys! Thanks for the detailed preview and responses!

If you had told me that Sam Ehlinger would ring up 500 yards total offense with that offensive line, that K State WRs would run free in our secondary, that these two teams would put up 950 yards and 74 points combined, I'd have said you were crazy.

This stuff never fails to make you say "What the F?" while humbling you at the same time.

Damn happy w/ the result, though.

And the offensive line literally pushed the cover across the plane. That line without its All-American left tackle!

Back