Texas tech vs ole miss

txtennisboy

Pretty much a regular
ALL THOUGHTS WELCOME

-tech should be able to light up the scoreboard....
can ole miss stop the pass???

-ole miss will run the ball like crazy....
can tech stop the run????

-game being in dallas will be like lubbock, texas!!!!!!!!

-not sure crabtree status
-harrell has a left hand problem

-tech should be hungry to finish the year strong
-harrell snub of heisman may give him the incentive to show the country what he can do after an embarrassing show in norman

4 losses by ole miss but finished strong...what team will show up?

lean: tech and over

Ole Miss can throw too..I keep thinking of the Nebraska game for some reason when looking at this one.

I lean Ole Miss (against the system I'm using this year) only because Tech has just flat out sucked the last 3 bowl games not covering any, but winning 2.

Ole Miss isn't going to do much stopping of TT passing game because their DB's arnt that good, however, their DL can get to the QB and if you get Harrel moving his feet, he's a lot less impressive. OM does a lot of good things on offense, they have a lot of speed and they've shown great improvement all yr. TT is in for a tough battle

i care ynn .... need your input on this game. Wouldn't mind seeing ramble chime in on ole miss either.

i could give a rats ass who wins .. but there is money to be made here somehow.

I think this is one of the more difficult games to handicap ( as are a lot of tech games imo ) and can't wait to break it down.

still too early to tell...

havent heard an update regarding harrell's surgery & crab's broken bone(s) in his foot.

vegas- your on to me...i am a fan....i really like to watch this team, but i also like to make some money....hence the lean....i'm going to the game and that is why i started this thread....need more info. not sure what to think of Ole Miss

my question doesn't come off as intended on paper.

i was actually hoping you were a fan so you could provide more on info on texas tech. They are usually a bit of an engima for me.

i am president of the mike leach fan club you know......

all pirates ready to play......tech is tough to figure out

they can show up with the guns ablazing or come out like they did vs. OU
how do i join this club?
crabtree status unknown???? this could be huge..if healthy i think he will torch the secondary...more info to follow in the next few days

Houston Nutt needs to call Joe Kines and ask him how he held TT to 10 points against Bama couple years back in Dallas..

Don't sleep on Ole Miss, that D Line is gonna be a great matchup against TT's O line.. Motivation and Coaching edge to Ole Miss without a doubt IMO.. Haven't gone too far into all the matchups.. yet

all pirates ready to play......tech is tough to figure out

they can show up with the guns ablazing or come out like they did vs. OU
how do i join this club?
crabtree status unknown???? this could be huge..if healthy i think he will torch the secondary...more info to follow in the next few days

yeah , the president of the mike leach fan club stemmed from a rant i made about him at start of last year. i am not a fan .. the title was given to me as irony.

ole miss offense sort of reminds me of a lesser version of ou. But smlar play types.

I saw someone ( etg maybe? ) mention earlier that ole miss is gonna struggle in the defensive backfield in this one. didnt get to see alot of ole miss but when i did i thought they played well.

also , i heard the big12 officials were told to cut back on the holding calls this year which ( if true ) probably contributed to the large numbers put up offensively this year. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out with non big 12 officials in all of the bowl games. maybe big12 unders are in order as offenses would not be benefitting anymore and the defenses would not be getting hurt by it as much. Having watched a lot of big12 games , it does seem that form tackle needs to take place in order for a holding call to come from the officials. Texas tech was sacked just 11 times in 604 pass attempts and i am not sure how many holding penalties they had but i guarantee it was not many per attempt.

Kines is at A&M right? he doesnt have the athletes up front...OU has tremendous athletes and i swear it looked like they knew the plays.....Harrell had absolutely nothing open except for the long ball....the push up front by OU's Pro team was the difference

vegas- never saw tech get called for holding....your point is valid! watched every game....the texas game was unreal the bad calls on both sides....tech o-line made several tackles of the defense...one particular play a tech player pulled the guy by the facemask to the ground right in front of the ref......the refs even it up on the punt return and the offensive interference at the end that put texas right back in the game....have any idea which refs will be doing the game?

Ole Miss has one of the better front four's of any team I have seen play. remember they are Orgeron's players who was a super recruiter and d-line coach himself. They will pressure, hit and hurry harrel all day if TT abandons the run early in the game. Hardy is an animal on OM's D line as well as Laurent and Peoria(I believe) in the middle.

I'm still not a believer in TT's defense. Scary as it is, Harrel is not that much better a QB than Snead. Not taking anything away from GH, just saying that Snead has really impressed me late this season. I think OM's D line is the key to this game as you stated about pressuring GH.. OM is 1st in TFL's this season and 5th in sacks.. I really like OM in this one and will be getting involved with the points and ML at some point I believe.. Look forward to the discussion guys..

CrimsonK there might be something there in that in my own personal opinion......attacking down hill defenses are able to take away that short stuff Texas Tech relies on. Texas Tech is not an offense that does not generate many big plays and are more like a Woody Hayes offense than not.....from what I have seen not a good 3rd and long team like Oklahoma and some other passing teams that can generate down field.

They use wr bubbles, screens, rb dropoffs and wr passes very close to line of scrimmage along with the occasional run.

At least Oklahoma that seemed to be their blueprint was to be jumping routes and forgetting the deep ball. Tech tried to combat with shovels and more screens and it backfired.....the opening was downfield and had success when they did but they need manageable situations. Basketball on grass is a short passing game equivalent of a running game, relying more on Wes Welker's with picks and pivots no Randy Mosses going deep. TAke away the run.

....Nevada, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas were the top TT faced in tackles for loss.

I am not that confident though that this is a solid angle but I do not like teams that sit back and let them pick you apart. My experience with Purdue in the Big Ten is teams that man up aggressively are much more successfule. However I'm not a defensive coordinator who has seen how every team plays Tech and how they combat, Leach has had success against it all and Oklahoma has always had success. I think playing downhill than x's and o's. Ole Miss blitzes a lot, but to be #1 in tackles for loss implies guys who see the ball and react at the line of scrimmage.

.......Last year

Arkansas vs. Missouri

I think motivational this game was decided with Nutt gone and Mizzou off loss. Arky had the #1 pass efficiency defense rating last year. So, you would of assumed Arky would not of gotten blown out. Missouri, Colorado, two teams that beat Missouri all had a top 40ish pass efficiency defense. Not sure how these teams were at tackles for loss altough i have reason to believe Colorado got pressure on Harrel forcing a couple pick sixes. Virginia dominated TT till very late in game and I'm fairly certain were up their in tackles for loss although had a medicore 63 pass defense.

I believe against Tech the most important factor might be a downhill attacking defense.

.......The Ole Miss pass D, they have given up alot of yards vs. any capable pass offense. Memphis, Wake, Florida, Carolina, Arkansas, and Auburn all had over 265 yards passing. The Rebels are better in efficiency however as bringing pressure will get lot's of incompletions.

I think this is a big play offense and a big play defense Ole Miss, as in plays of 15 yards or more.

I think Ole Miss right now is playing dynamite against these power run teams. Limiting Alabama to 107 and LSU to 37 rushing is unbelievable. So TT might not of been the best matchup for them,

but....

what I notice is Nutt is a coach who raises his team's performance in bigger games and I think LSU and Bama shows an ability to challenge his players to rise up and neutralize the opposition's strong point. The Rebel rush defense was not outstanding the first few games of the year.

....It will be run vs. pass. and as big a question is TT stopping the Rebel run. TT though has been pretty good against the run save Oklahoma and quarters of Baylor/Nevada type games.

The TT pass defense though is not a strong point like the Ole Miss run defense, Ole Miss might be able to at least take one option away.

It could be a classic game.....points will be critical. At a touchdown dog Ole Miss is worth some kind of look I would presume.

Texas goes 1st in sacks and 16th in sacks for loss as well as show a much better pass efficiency defense than yards passed on. We have to ask how much situationally was better TT a bit.

Leach is nothing special in bowl games although I do think Bama and Virginia matched up pretty well with Tech two similar defenses.

-----Leach would like to play this game tomorrow. It's like the motion offense under Bob Knight. You can count the plays on one hand it's all about adjusting to your opponent with the same plays.

I believe the time off will help Ole Miss prepare for this attack.

The thing is pressure. Texas, OU, they seemed to mix it up blitzing and not blitzing.

I'm not sure Ole Miss is going to have much more success than Texas with only the front four and no blitzing. Oklahoma was able to get to Harrell at times due to great coverage.

...Tech has seen it all so it comes down to athletes and execution.

Tech can be stopped but not sure I rate this Ole Miss D with Virginia, or Bama of the past. Virginia ran a 3-4 and Bama I almost think they ran a 3-4.

I have a feeling both teams get their share of points in this football game. Ole Miss just needs to make sure they are the more balanced team because the stats say they are. Take away the run and the line of scrimmage. Don't just forget about it preparing for the pass IMO just focus on making every down a 3rd and 3 situation and force Tech to go deep.

Texas forgot about the run against Tech early and emotion was the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not sure if it's been posted, but the Mississippi D-line is friggin' stout. They are really good and could get pressure on Harrell by themselves leaving a lot of people in coverage for a flustered Graham Harrell. If there's no Crabtree i think i'd have to play the Rebs, but i'm pretty sure he'll play

what is it that Reese Davis calls Houston Nutt, the right reverend?...I think Nutt's boys come to play in the ol' Cotton Bowl...

ok....i am absolutely loving the public...come on down baby!!!

question for the the entire world....how many players on ole misa-sip has played in an actual bowl game?????

anyone?

uh?
uh?

zero.
going with experience!:tiphat:

locked in. texas tech -4(-120) from the ol man

5 units

80% where is this info? why is the line moving down? opening was 6...correct? i'm seeing 5 on most of the boards now

ok....i am absolutely loving the public...come on down baby!!!

question for the the entire world....how many players on ole misa-sip has played in an actual bowl game?????

anyone?

uh?
uh?

zero.
going with experience!:tiphat:

locked in. texas tech -4(-120) from the ol man

5 units

92% of voters on ESPN have TT winning this game

92% of voters on ESPN have TT winning this game

damn i better get my bet in for texas tech then.

never bet against the public, especially espn they know what they are talking about.

this game is all about motivation guys - Ole Miss ecstatic to be in this bowl and gonna play their hearts out - as long as the D-line penetrates Harrell will be limited in his throwing time - see Ole Miss doing that and keeping this competetive - last team with the ball wins most likely will be on Ole Miss and Over, or a tease of both. :shake:

Back