Texas Tech at Kansas State

ynnhoj316

Pretty much a regular
I’ve had the opportunity to watch KSU play exactly once this season against Louisville. I learned a few things about them, mostly that they dare teams to run on them. Which is pretty cool and manly, if you’ve got size in the middle and speed on the edges. They don’t. They lost 38-29 in that game and gave up 303 yards rushing. The game was 35-14 in the 4th. Last week, they won 45-37 over LA-Laffy Taffy and gave up 509 total yards with 335 coming on the ground. As pointed out after UMass, Batch and Woods have averaged 29 touches for 292 yards over their previous two games. We’ll get back to this, but let’s take a look at the KSU offense first.
KSU Offense
To date this season, Josh Freeman has played to his potential. If he can continue this consistency, he should solidify his status as the highest drafted QB in the Big 12. I’m both skeptical and nervous at the same time. Freeman is 8th in the country in pass efficiency and has connected on 67% of his passes with 11 TDs and only 2 Ints. KSU is 3-1 on the season with wins over two of the worst teams in the FBS, North Texas and ULL. The other win was over FCS team Montana State. Both of Freeman’s interceptions came against Louisville. Hmmm. Everyone in the conference is perfectly aware of what Freeman is capable of, and other than him, KSU appears to have one other dynamic playmaker. A stat of interest is that KSU is tied for #1 in the country with no sacks allowed. The OL seems to be giving Freeman ample time to progress through his reads.
Although only 5′6″ and 140 lbs, Brandon Banks leads the nation in receiving yards per game at 115 on an average of less than 6 catches a game. He also has 6 TDs. Banks is the closest thing I’ve seen to Tyrone Thurman since Tyrone Thurman. Dude can fly and is extremely tough to get a bead on in the open field. Deon Murphy is a dangerous return man, but hasn’t quite translated that into traditional offense. Still, he’s got 7 catches for 140 yards and 2 TDs. They’ll try both Banks and Murphy on some reverses. Most of the other bodies appear to be of the possession variety.
The ground game finally got untracked last week sparked by a position change. After a putrid 30 yard team effort against Louisville, Prince moved former uber-recruit Lamark Brown from WR to his natural position of RB. He’s 6′3″ and weighs 225 bringing down the 275-lb average of black men lining up in the KSU backfield. Actually, I was a little lazy. Lamark could be a white guy. Let me check right quick. Nope, he’s black. Lamark resurrected the KSU ground game from the depths of Lajohn to the tune of 29 carries for 137 yards and a TD against ULL.
Defending the Wildcats
With those things in mind, we’re left with a strong-armed QB, who can make all the throws, but has shown inconsistency throughout his career in reading coverages. We’re also facing a diminutive WR with the big play potential any time he has the ball, and a new RB with size and 4 stars below his name coming out of high school. If I recall correctly, Banks did most of his damage against Louisville on shorter passes that he broke for big gainers (7 catches for 153 yards, 2 TDs to be exact). KSU uses a pro-set offense with 1 RB, 3 WRs, and 1 TE, which just so happens to be one more WR on the field than Tech’s 4-3 base scheme in past years could intelligibly defend. I’m guessing since no other KSU RB had more than 15 carries prior to Brown taking over, that they’ll test the alleged improvement of the Tech front 4 and LBs early in the game to establish some playaction opportunities in the first half. Louisville held KSU to 30 yards on 12 carries, and Brown needed 29 attempts against ULL to reach the 137 mark for a 4.7 YPC average. I think Tech will be the best front 7 they’ve faced, and formational fiesta included, should be able to hold KSU to around the 125 yardage mark.
Coverage is where I see some problems arising, and I’m not quite sure I’m comfortable with the idea of Banks running free through our Cover 2 scheme and Marlon Williams in chase. But, I’m pretty sure that’s how we’ll play it except for obvious passing downs, where we’ll go to our dime defense. Nickels are a rare commodity in Lubbock. The dime look should be sufficient, but if Tech can’t hold the KSU ground game on 1st down, then we may not see much of it. Given his size, I’m guessing Banks lines up mostly in the slot, and I wouldn’t mind seeing a little of Laron Moore in lieu of M. Williams in this matchup. Moore is 5′9″, 185 lbs, physical and one of the fastest players on the team. He might be able to get a jam on Banks at the line and stay close to him long enough for Dixon and B. Williams to get to Freeman. I really think the key here would be mixing your coverages between zone and man to prevent Freeman from getting comfortable with his reads. He’ll throw some picks, if you do. Of course, I said the same thing about Cody Hawkins last year, and then, got the enjoyment of hearing comments like, “Cody Hawkins is one of the most underrated game managers in the Big 12,” from announcers for 60 minutes. As we ran a skeleton Cover 2 the whole game in an effort to help Colorado fine tune their short passing game. At a minimum, Charbonnet and McBath need to locate Banks on every down and be ready to lay a lick on him. TTU Defensive Coordinator McNeill called an interesting play against UMass in which he ran some man under Cover 3 and allowed McBath to make a play on the ball. It resulted in a pick 6 and displayed the kind of athleticism that you’ve heard McBath possesses for the last 4 years. Freeman will fall for this kind of shit.
KSU Defense
I’ve covered their problems on the ground, but they’ve got problems in general. Mostly in personnel. They run a 3-4 defense with one end that is 6′5″, 255 lbs and another end that is 6′3″, 238 lbs, and I’m guessing this is where teams have picked up the propensity to test these guys. I would too, if I were Leach. Nevada ran a 3-4 except their ends were 6′4″, 275 lbs. The decision of this defensive scheme is puzzling given they haven’t recruited the personnel to run it effectively. Initially, I hadn’t heard of any of the KSU LBs, but that’s because I was still looking at the Nevada depth chart. Once I dropped back down to KSU, I still hadn’t heard of any of the KSU LBs, and I’m guessing that’s because they all appear to be JUCOs.
It’s tough to draw any conclusions on the KSU secondary given none of their opponents have called a pass in the last 2 games. That’s a lie as Hunter Cantwell went for 274, but one more shot at the KSU run defense was deserved here. My guess is that an undersized 3-4 team facing a predominantly passing attack spread offense is going to blitz the shit out of us. I don’t think I’m guessing either and I can almost guarantee it. I would assume this is their primary pass defense as well.
Moving the Ball
Alright, you’ve been presented with most of the information and I think you see where this thing is headed. One of my criticisms of Leach over the years is his failure to gameplan against specific weaknesses of opponents. His gameplan is always the same. Take what the defense gives you and score as many points as possible. Which sounds logical and simple, but seems to distract from the general concept of winning in lieu of a potential embarassment of an opponent. This thing should be real fucking easy. Start Batch on the first 2 drives, assuming our typical 8 play, 80 yard drive, make sure he gets 4 of those touches either via quick hitter or screen. They’ll be over-blitzing, so the RBs and Crabtree should be in for a big day on screens. Use Vasquez to work a combo block with Hamby on the nose, and pull Carter to destroy the playside LB. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better opponent for Leach’s TE and H-back set to be effective. We should be able to push these guys around up front. Once, we’ve patiently put two scores together with balanced playcalling, then try your pantsing shit with Crabtree over the top and try to stretch this thing out to 21 points by mid-2nd quarter. Louisville effectively made KSU a one-dimensional team, and outside the big plays by Banks, did a pretty good job overall. Most of the JUCO-based teams I’ve seen will quit early, if you jump out to a big lead. They just haven’t had time to develop the chemistry and leadership in most cases. That’s how it should play out, anyway.
Special Teams
I typically don’t cover special teams, but I think it’s necessary with KSU. Every time I watch them play, it seems they make a couple of big plays that result in scores, especially in the punt return game. Sure as shit, they’ve blocked 2 punts for scores this season and Deon Murphy returned an 86 yarder for a TD against Louisville. I vaguely remember this playing a huge factor in their upset of Texas last year. Fortunately, outside the field goal kicking, our coverage units have been outstanding for the most part, and the guys who contribute, take a lot of pride in their limited snaps. This should be somewhat of a wash, but if KSU pulls off the upset, I’m guessing it will encompass a big play here. Other than that, I think Tech wins on a healthy and more consistent dose of Batch and Woods versus the erratic offense of KSU. One of the few cases I can remember in the Leach Era, where Tech has the much better running game and defense.
Summary
For you lazy fucks who were too ADD to read the 20 pages above, I think Tech wins by at least 7. Laying the points with Tech seems like a popular public pick. That, mixed with the fact that I don't like laying points with my own team, will make me hold off and play the total. I've seen some educated guesses regarding the total on this board (mid 60s to 70) and I will play the under if that is indeed the case.

Comments, concerns and questions always welcomed. :cheers:

Kansas St ML ?

As someone who is very familiar with both the Big 12 and Texas Tech specifically, I only think that isn't a bad pick, although I want the line to jump to get more value from it.

K-State knows this is a HUGE game for them. It is a tv game (regional) and it is against an unbeaten top 10 program. Prince (or Freeman) will have the team pumped.

Tech sucks on the road. Period. Much less ATS. Since 2004 (not counting bowl games), Tech is 9-14 ATS on the road. Take out two Baylor games (beccause, well, duh) and it goes to 7-14. They cover 33% on the road.

Tech always has the potential to explode, which makes the 7 easily coverable. Safest bet? Split your units and take -7 and the K-St ML.

That's just my two cents.

Yep...Tech's only B12 road covers in the last few years have been Baylor 3 times and Iowa St once...(doing this from memory but I think that is right).

Nevertheless, still giving Tech a long look; I'm sure 'Cats will be pumped, but I don't know how that defense improves enough to be ready for this. Tech already covered 10 in Reno playing very average; Reno and K-State are very close in my rankings.

You guys are right and that's why I think the best play is on the under. In the past, we come out flat against these mediocre teams (KSU, CU etc). We destroy the Baylors & A&M's on the road ATS, but that's really a given. Pretty sure Throwback was saying KSU moneyline as a joke..but who knows. There is no way TTU loses straight up, but the opportunity for a close call is definitely expected. :cheers:

There is no way TTU loses straight up, but the opportunity for a close call is definitely expected.

If you really believe that, I don't see how you're not on the Red Raiders then; 7 is an awfully small number to have to get inside of in a game there is sure to be points.

Tech already covered 10 in Reno playing very average; Reno and K-State are very close in my rankings.

I think that is a good comparison. I saw the game and came away impressed with Nevada (which helped with my play against UNLV).

Two differences. Nevada is a VERY run oriented team and Kaepernick is 10x more mobile than Freeman. This played in to Tech's offense because once the Red Raiders started scoring, Nevada wasn't going to catch up.

K-State is an explosive offense through the air. Plus, the WR are much more explosive than Nevada's. That is important when comparing the teams.

I agree completely Mort; just wanted to take a look at Tech's most recent road favorite excursion.

Nice work on Nevada last week; I didn't bet UNLV but they were definitely my lean.

If you read my original post, I don't believe there will be a lot of points scored. I see a 28-17 type game. The better play is on the under. KSU turnovers and the running game of TTU will make the clock tick. This is the 1st conference game and only our 5th game (our first real road test). There will be mistakes. 7 is a big number.

There is no way TTU loses straight up

2007: @ Oklahoma State (-6)
2006: @ Colorado (-6.5)
2005: @ Oklahoma State (-23)
2004: @ New Mexico (-3.5)

Tech very much has a history of not only losing ATS on the road as a fav, but losing outright once per season to a team no one thinks they should lose to.

This season that can only be K-State and A&M, because Kansas won't be a shock and neither will Oklahoma.

Thus why I think something small, $10 or whatever, on the K-St ML is actually an intelligent play.

You can pull stats from basically any team in any given season showing that a team will lose SU on the road. I simply said TTU will not lose SU.:tiphat:

Yep...Tech's only B12 road covers in the last few years have been Baylor 3 times and Iowa St once...(doing this from memory but I think that is right).

Nevertheless, still giving Tech a long look; I'm sure 'Cats will be pumped, but I don't know how that defense improves enough to be ready for this. Tech already covered 10 in Reno playing very average; Reno and K-State are very close in my rankings.

I'm already on Tech -7 and think its' solid, but not without risks. I do want to address this road cover trend stat, since I think it is important to keep in mind.

ATS Record vs. North L5Ys
2007: @ Mizzou (L), Colorado (L), Iowa St (W)
2006: @ Colorado (L), @ Iowa St (W), Mizzou (L)
2005: @ Nebraska (L), Kansas St (W), Kansas (L)
2004: @ Kansas (L), @ Kansas St (W), Kansas (L)
2003: @ Mizzou (L), Colorado (L), Iowa St (W)

Against the North, TT is 5-10 ATS the L5Ys against the North. Against the North on the road, TT is 2-5 ATS.

ATS Record vs. Big XII on the Road L5Ys
2007: @ Okie Lite (L), @ Mizzou (L), @ Baylor (W), @ Texas (L)
2006: @ Texas A&M (W), @ Colorado (L), @ Iowa St (W), @ Oklahoma (L)
2005: @ Nebraska (L), @ Texas (L), @ Baylor (W), @ Okie Lite (L)
2004: @ Kansas (L), @ Oklahoma (W), @ Kansas St (W), @ Texas A&M (L)
2003: @ Okie Lite (W), @ Mizzou (L), @ Baylor (W), @ Texas (W)

On the road, TT is 9-11 ATS.

However, TT is 3-0 ATS and SU against K State the last 3 matchups.

Let's take the same look at KSU:

ATS Record vs. South L5Ys
2007: @ Texas (W), @ Okie Lite (W), Baylor (W)
2006: @ Baylor (L), Okie Lite (W), Texas (W)
*******Ron Prince Era Starts*******
2005: @ Oklahoma (L), @ Texas Tech (L), Texas A&M (W)
2004: @ Texas A&M (L), Oklahoma (W), Texas Tech (L)
2003: @ Texas (W), @ Oklahoma St (L), Baylor (L)

Vs. the South, KSU is 8-7 ATS, but 5-1 ATS under Ron Prince.

Vs. Big XII @ Home the L5Ys
2007: Kansas (L), Colorado (W), Baylor (W), Mizzou (W)
2006: Okie Lie (W), Nebraska (L), Iowa St (W), Texas (W)
*******Ron Prince Era Starts******
2005: Kansas (W), Texas A&M (W), Coloraod (W), Mizzou (L)
2004: Oklahoma (W), Nebraska (L), Texas Tech (L), Iow St (L)
2003: Colorado (W), Kansas (W), Baylor (L), Mizzou (L)

At home, KSU is 12-8 ATS. Ron Prince is 6-2 ATS at home.

RJ,
What do you think about your Horns up in Boulder. I remember OU in '07 was something like -14 or -21 and lost or almost lost SU in Boulder. I think UT wins, but that +14 looks tempting. Weird shit happens in Boulder.

I'm looking at both UT and OU to cover this week.

Colorado has had this game circled for 2 years and Boulder will be fired up. However, I'm not that impressed with Cody Hawkins and the OL is missing 3 starters due to injury.

Partly due to Colorado's upset of OU last year, I don't think that Texas will be taking them lightly. I believe that Texas wins by 10-21.

Baylor is surprisingly fired up to play OU but I think this one isn't even close.

Good luck with whatever you play..

Baylor QB Robert Griffin is pretty sick. He is going to make that Baylor/Aggy rivalry great. :36_11_6:

RJ,
What do you think about your Horns up in Boulder. I remember OU in '07 was something like -14 or -21 and lost or almost lost SU in Boulder. I think UT wins, but that +14 looks tempting. Weird shit happens in Boulder.

Texas is going to bring the heat against Hawkins. He is very inaccurate when pressured and as Muschamp has opened up his D, they've been having lots of success.

This is the first test for Texas and the Buffs play on a VERY slow field, so that might keep the Texas points down. Very interesting game. Texas wins, but I think the spread is very close to the final.

Texas is going to bring the heat against Hawkins. He is very inaccurate when pressured and as Muschamp has opened up his D, they've been having lots of success.

This is the first test for Texas and the Buffs play on a VERY slow field, so that might keep the Texas points down. Very interesting game. Texas wins, but I think the spread is very close to the final.

Texas is 3-0 ATS in its' last 3 against CU and 5-1 (only loss being the Big XII Championship) since 2000 with average margin of victory being 33 ppg (however, that 70-3 game really skews the average). Last time in Colorado, Texas was favored by 14 (!) and won 31-7.

<table border="1"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#e0e0ff"><td>Date</td> <td> </td> <td>Opponent (record)</td> <td>Result</td> <td colspan="2">Score</td> <td>Site</td> </tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/15/2005</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (7-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">42</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">17</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">12/3/2005</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (7-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">70</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">3</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@ Houston, TX</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Big 12 Championship</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/30/2004</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (8-5)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">31</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">7</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/20/2001</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (10-3)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">41</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">7</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">12/1/2001</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (10-3)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">37</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">39</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@ Dallas, TX</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Big 12 Championship</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/14/2000</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (3-8)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">28</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">14</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/25/1997</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (5-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">30</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">47</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/26/1996</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Colorado (10-2)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">24</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">28</td></tr></tbody></table>

The average Texas margin of victory at Boulder (including the 1996 loss--Mackovic, ugh) has been 28-16.

I think Texas will be solid but still a lean for me. May be a play before Dr. Bob releases today.

And fuck Chris Simms and that Dec 2001 Championship game. Major almost dug us out of that one.

Tech

Freeman is not a good QB. His stats are against sub par competition. If Tech gets him out of the pocket he will make HUGE mistakes.

The 3-4 that KSU runs is a joke. They don't have the personel or the coaches to run it.

Prince is a joke. He is now the biggest joke in the XII since Callahan is gone, and Sherman is gonna catch a break because he's new.

If Tech's D can get Gracie Lou Freeman out of the pocket and put 1 once of pressure on her, KSU gets a 70-10 whippin. But since Tech's D plays like a bunch of Mary's, especially on the road, I see only a 2 TD win.

Just Added:

Baron Batch (Texas Tech) Total Rushing + Receiving Yards OVER 62.5 (-115)

Now THAT is a great bet. Actually, it's a stupid number by your book. If it were 85.5 or something, then I might be more hesitant. Wish my book had it.

I'm betting Woods/Batch have 100 yards each.

I'm jumping on the under 67. I'm hoping that Texas Tech has seen how bad the Kansas St. run d is and trys and grind it out some. That'll work the clock a little, and hopefully Kansas St. has also seen how bad their run d has been and makes some adjustments.

Just keep that clock rolling.

Under 67!

:cheers:

You guys were right on in this one. K State is embarassing on D and the WRs have awful hands. Congrats to the Red Raider backers :shake:

Back