Texas @ Okie St.

SHSUHorn

Thief
Kinda liking the Cowboys +3 in this spot. Texas has been struggling all year and it seems teams that have blitzed all day have been successful against the Texas offense which Okie St. will do.

They've also had a bye week to prepare like KSU & UCF did vs Texas.

Thoughts?

Hasn't Texas beaten these guys by over 20 points three years in a row ?? I realize that the horns are not playing to the level of those teams and okie state is still in the big 12 race but i don't think there can be a TON of value on okie state , even in stillwater. The line is about right to me. Won't be surprised to see the cowboys win off the bye week but Nebraska did okie st no favors by not laying down last week. Brown should have longhorns full attention this week. Of course , full attention from Brown usually constitutes a pat on the back but still. I don't see line value at the current number but maybe someone can tell me where okie state will control game ?

Okie state has the 116th ranked pass defense so if mccoy can get his shit together he should be able to move the ball down the field.

I think I am staying away.

The spot favors oklahoma State. I also believe Texas isn't that good.

But the match-ups favor Texas. OK st is a strong running team, and the Texas run D is one of the few strong areas this year, especially when the back-up LB's are in.

Also, Texas might just abandon the run and pass 40 times which is the weakness of the Ok state defense.

I might play the Ok St ML or no play at all for me.

I think I am staying away.

The spot favors oklahoma State. I also believe Texas isn't that good.

But the match-ups favor Texas. OK st is a strong running team, and the Texas run D is one of the few strong areas this year, especially when the back-up LB's are in.

Also, Texas might just abandon the run and pass 40 times which is the weakness of the Ok state defense.

I might play the Ok St ML or no play at all for me.
People who aren't familiar with Texas are probably reading that and scratching their heads like that doesn't make any sense. Oh but the truth hurts and its sad when thats a true statement about your football team. As for Texas abandoning the run against Ok States weak pass defense, that would require Greg Davis to actually analyze another teams defense and exploit a weakness. He shows the occasional ability to do that but more often than not we get what we had last week. It took him until the 4th quarter to realize that running the ball against the 115th worst run defense might be a good idea. It also took him until the 4th to realize that Nebraska was blitzing on every play and that we should probably exploit that. Bottom line I have zero confidence in our team this year.

think OKIE ST is the right play here. Not impressed with UT this year at all. Sweed packed it in knowing that this season wont be a typical Texas stroll through the park.

Got tickets for Tech @ UT game, looking forward to it except both teams are pretty shitty right now.

It's a day game, and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. With the increased playing time of the underclassmen, and specifically the coming out party of Sergio Kindle, this front 7 sports 6 future NFL players and 3 first day picks. By far the most talented front 7 OSU has faced. The Cowboys won't run for 200 yards on this defense. Which means, they'll have to throw and pass protect to move the ball. Something they haven't done very well, as they've yet to throw the ball for more than 300 yards this year vs. a schedule that includes Troy, Fla ATL, Texas Tech, TAMU, and Sam Houston State.

On defense, they're probably going to use the Nebraska model and blitz the majority of plays. Problem is, once Texas figured that out vs. Nebraska, Jamal Charles had 220 yards and 3 TD's in one quarter.

As for the mindset of the Texas team, keep in mind the local press has hammered the program for close wins vs. Baylor and Nebraska, to the point of criticizing specific players. Taking a page out of Mike Gundy's psychology book, Mack Brown, albeit without insane histrionics, has turned the locker room into an us vs. the critics scenario, which is something he hasn't done in the past. He's typically a guy that wants everyone to like him. I get the feeling this will be an angry Texas team come Saturday.

Look, I'm not playing the game because I'm well aware of the problems this team is trying to overcome: inexperienced Oline, lack of a field stretching wideout, inexperienced secondary, playing three senior LB's over 3 badass underclassmen, etc.

But if same Texas team that was a two TD dog vs. ou shows up in Stillwater, the Cowboys will have big problems.

think OKIE ST is the right play here. Not impressed with UT this year at all. Sweed packed it in knowing that this season wont be a typical Texas stroll through the park.

Got tickets for Tech @ UT game, looking forward to it except both teams are pretty shitty right now.

Really? He had been playing with a torn ligament in his wrist and just had surgery to repair it. I guess "packing it in" is Sand Aggie for out with a major injury.

Looking forward to dismantling your "playstation" offense yet again next week.

He could have sat out the year with the wrist injury and I wouldn't have blamed him cuz there was big money on the line for him. However hes a team guy and a senior leader so he wanted to play. By gutting it out it actually might have hurt his stock cuz he wasn't the same player. He re-injured it against OU so he decided it was time to just get the surgery done. Try again.

TexasFight: Mature, buddy! Sand Aggie? Really? How long did it take you to come up with that one? That would be like me referring to you as a Smile! because Austin is full of gays. Get real dude.

As for the dismantling of the "playstation" offense, I would hope that UT would be able to. With all of those 4 and 5 star recruits, it's not very difficult. Missouri and Colorado sure had no problem dismantling the offense, I see no reason why the UT super freak athletes can't.

By the way, sweet avatar... :36_11_6:

For the others who can actually have a mature, civilized conversation about UT/OSU, how do yall think the traditionally weak Horn secondary can stick with Bowman, Dez Bryant & company?? How does Greg Davis typically respond to pass heavy offenses?

Texas sucks donkey dongs, they should have lost to Nebraska - If they do beat OK St., it will be by one or two - They don't cover - OKIE St always gets and early lead, as well. Go will the points

texasfight - Sorry for the run on sentences. The University of Texas is a great learning institution - but the football team is overrated and Mack Brown is a bad coach

TexasFight: Mature, buddy! Sand Aggie? Really? How long did it take you to come up with that one? That would be like me referring to you as a Smile! because Austin is full of gays. Get real dude.

As for the dismantling of the "playstation" offense, I would hope that UT would be able to. With all of those 4 and 5 star recruits, it's not very difficult. Missouri and Colorado sure had no problem dismantling the offense, I see no reason why the UT super freak athletes can't.

By the way, sweet avatar... :36_11_6:

For the others who can actually have a mature, civilized conversation about UT/OSU, how do yall think the traditionally weak Horn secondary can stick with Bowman, Dez Bryant & company?? How does Greg Davis typically respond to pass heavy offenses?

Your take on Sweed was weak and I called you on it.

By the way, love the defeatist, "you should beat us with 4/5 star recruit" attitude. You should be congratulated for acknowledging your place on the Big 12 totem pole. Much like a Sherpa acknowledges his rightful place in the universe when paying homage to the Dalai Lama. It takes stones, bro.

Oh, and why would Greg Davis have to respond to a pass heavy offense? Hell, since Texas is playing Ok. State why would Texas' defensive coordinator have to respond to it. They've yet to have a 300 yard game all year. Okie lite runs the ball a hell of a lot more than they throw it. Not a good matchup vs. Texas.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me on the Big 12 totem pole.

I'm not a buddhist so I don't do "enlighten". The Sherpa thing was an analogy or a metaphor. I can't decide which.

I'm certainly not going to do the math for you.

That said, I love Mike Leach and Bob Knight. By far the most interesting coaches in the conference.

I'm leaning to Okie Light in this one, but at 3 I'm staying away at this point. Honestly, my feel is that Okie Light either wins by 7+ or Texas will. I don't see a tight game here.

Personally, I made Okie Light a 5 pt favorite so I see quite a bit of value on that side. But then again, I'm not confident enough to bet it right now. A few out there that I like better.

As for the mindset of the Texas team, keep in mind the local press has hammered the program for close wins vs. Baylor and Nebraska, to the point of criticizing specific players. Taking a page out of Mike Gundy's psychology book, Mack Brown, albeit without insane histrionics, has turned the locker room into an us vs. the critics scenario, which is something he hasn't done in the past. He's typically a guy that wants everyone to like him. I get the feeling this will be an angry Texas team come Saturday.

The local media is soft, and always has been. Chip Brown has called the program to the carpet but that's about it.

Mack's skin is once again turning extraordinarily thin as he is spouting off bullshit about bad fans and all other sorts of crap. Our team is pampered, coddled and doesn't know know how to play with a sense of urgency. And it doesn't have the ability to be get "angry" about anything. I doubt that will change Saturday.

OSU's 58 Texans have many reasons to want a win over UT.

Rod Johnson was a priority recruit four years ago for the University of Texas. But so was his friend just up the road.

Tommy Devereaux had a scholarship offer from the Longhorns before his senior year of high school, but had only a short time frame to accept. Jason Ricks grew up in Austin and had an opportunity to join the Texas program as a preferred walk-on player.

But for Andre Sexton, Ricky Price, and Russell Okung, there was little interest either on their part or on Texas' part for them to play college football at the Lone Star State's flagship university.

For the 58 Texans on the OSU roster, there are many reasons to play well every year against the Longhorns.

Beating a tradition-rich program is one. Putting aside a perceived snub from the recruiting process is another.

"Texas football is so big and they have great tradition. But for whatever reason, they didn't come by my high school (Cypress Falls in Houston) that much." said Sexton, who was the Houston Touchdown Club's high school defensive player of the year in 2004. "There was a little interest late, but I was sold on OSU. You can take that (lack of interest) personally. I don't. But I want them to remember who No. 20 is for OSU and that he is from Houston."

OSU coach Mike Gundy has made it no secret that the state of Texas is OSU's main recruiting base because there are so many top high school players. Texas and Oklahoma primarily haul in the top prospects each year. But OSU has been able to sign a few top players coveted by the 'Horns and Sooners while bringing in several Texans the other two schools may have overlooked.

Price, a junior free safety, and Okung, a sophomore offensive tackle, have started for two seasons at OSU. Neither player professed being a Longhorns fan growing up. So when Texas did not express much recruiting interest in them, it did not sting with disappointment.

Ricks, OSU's junior kicker, said it is easy for some players from Texas to experience hurt feelings if Texas passes over them. Ricks talked with the Longhorns coaching staff when he was finishing up his high school career in nearby Round Rock, Texas.

The Longhorns were not going to sign a kicker the year Ricks graduated. But Texas offered him the chance to pay his own way the first few years and if things worked out, he could maybe get placed on scholarship as a junior.

OSU offered Ricks a scholarship out of high school, and he signed with the Cowboys.

"They don't recruit. People select them or they select who they want," Ricks said about Texas. "They are in the power situation. It's a great place to play and that's why they get great players."

Johnson and Devereaux were two players Texas had a strong interest in years ago.

Johnson, a senior linebacker, had an offer from Texas and the Longhorns were waiting on his decision before his senior year at Galveston Ball High School. At the same time, Johnson's friend up the road in LaMarque, Rashad Bobino, had the same offer.

First one to commit to the 'Horns gets the scholarship.

Johnson knew all along he wanted to go to school out-of-state, so he bypassed Texas' sales pitch and signed with OSU.

Devereaux, a senior wide receiver, admits he was excited when the Longhorns offered him a scholarship before his senior year at Duncanville High School. But there was a catch. Devereaux needed to make a decision within a week or the offer would be revoked.

"They want you to commit on the spot," he said. "I wasn't ready to commit. I was upset by that. All the players who I have talked with always want to have their best game against Texas to show them what they missed out on."

good stuff royal, but players from texas or not, they all get up for UT. All the other players at schools in texas such as a&m, baylor, tech, etc. could say the same.

I am a homer but realistic. Was on Nebraska like stink on shit last week. Hell, went with ISU too like a moron, but oh well. I have neen leaning okie st here as well, BUT with all the shit these guys are getting lately, you would think there is motivation and more importantly a respect for okie st.

I cant be confident with okies defense, even againt our resident genius greg davis. IF i play a side here, its Texas. After last week, that O line needed a game like that for some confidence. If our weakest link (O line) can get some early traction, i think it may even be a blow out. Then again, lol, I can see UT down 27 at the half and no VY to save 'em.

Bottom line, which would be a bigger suprise, UT winning or Okie? To me it's more probable to see UT come out with a win.

GL

smo1a,

very good point. the flagship schools in every state obviously have a bullseye on their backs from the players who feel like theyve been snubbed by the tier 1 programs. but keep in mind okie st has a man who is 40 as their head coach.

Well it looks like Sergio Kindle, Texas' best defender is out for the game. Huge loss, against an OSU team that looks to run early and often.

OSU may be a play. Maybe even the over 61.

As you can tell by my handle, I'm a bit of a Texas fan but I also have no problem taking off my burnt orange-tinted glasses from time to time. Can't say that I'm too happy with the squad this year (with most of the blame going to the coaching staff (as usual)) BUT I will say that Texas comes to play when you least expect it and especially when everyone starts $hitting on them....the message boards and "fans" have been all over the Horns this week so I'm expecting them to show up big time against OSU. Texas hasn't really had much home support this year so the booing shouldn't really bother them as they're probably used to it by now.

Take the Horns as they win by double digits.

Back