Texas Longhorns Host TCU Horned Frogs - November 12 - I Will Be There

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
I will not be conducting the coin flip or analyzing the impact of Coach Patterson for this game. If you are going to be there maybe you could come say "hi" to me, my wife and my 3 future Longhorn (knock on wood) sons.

Last edited:
I will not be conducting the coin flip or analyzing the impact of Coach Patterson for this game. If you are going to be there maybe you could come say "hi" to me, my wife and my 3 future Longhorn (knock on wood) sons.
Sounds like the groundwork for a CTG Austin road trip

I would like to attend a Texas game in November. 11 am the second week of September was not enjoyable from a comfort standpoint.

I would like to attend a Texas game in November. 11 am the second week of September was not enjoyable from a comfort standpoint.
Bama fans should be used to some heat and humidity though. Maybe it was uncomfortable because you guys didn't play your B game let alone your A game (still won cause Texas finds a way for the last decade to lose those types of games). I am hoping it won't be too cold actually (also because if it is really cold I won't go kayaking) and I hope for a better result than we had against your boys. I also want it to be fairly nice so my sons can see the full gameday experience with excited fans, tailgating, Texas cheerleaders, big time college football, etc.

I only watch my bird these days but for my 15 year old fellas it would be a nice advertisement for Texas at Austin.
The day you stop looking is the day you die and according to your post you weren't dead a minute ago

Bama fans should be used to some heat and humidity though. Maybe it was uncomfortable because you guys didn't play your B game let alone your A game (still won cause Texas finds a way for the last decade to lose those types of games). I am hoping it won't be too cold actually (also because if it is really cold I won't go kayaking) and I hope for a better result than we had against your boys. I also want it to be fairly nice so my sons can see the full gameday experience with excited fans, tailgating, Texas cheerleaders, big time college football, etc.
The game was fine. Much better atmosphere than I expected. We had been led to believe it was more of a wine and cheese crowd, but that didn't seem to be the case. I think my activities on Friday night were not so conducive to an 11 am start regardless of the heat. I think I had sweated it all out by mid 1q though. It's a fun place to watch a game, I'll definitely pony up for better seats next time I go though.

I remember this time the author was setting up / coming to CTG Meat.

In all seriousness though, in the small likelihood that the UM Texas series doesn't get cancelled, I'd love to visit there for that game (Maybe see RJ as well!).

Just hope it's nice enough for bird watching on 6th St

You get shot if you're on / around 6th Street on a weekend night.

Used to be a hub for fun and great venues when the city really was a cornerstone for live music in the country. Now, it's just a gathering place for thugs and gang bangers. Sucks, but it is the case.

Last edited:
I remember this time the author was setting up / coming to CTG Meat.

In all seriousness though, in the small likelihood that the UM Texas series doesn't get cancelled, I'd love to visit there for that game (Maybe see RJ as well!).
Want to say RJ is California based or was. Do you still talk to him?

In all seriousness though. That will be a great time with the boys. I'm sure you'll be telling old war stories of 21-14 games back in the day as this one finished 68-66 in triple OT.

As it turns out Gameday will be there. Thinking of taking the family to that as well. We will either be decked out in burnt orange hoodies like everyone else or maybe, just maybe we will have our family t-shirts of "Hanging out with my Gnomies" on (what i want to do). Depends how cold it is probably.

As it turns out Gameday will be there. Thinking of taking the family to that as well. We will either be decked out in burnt orange hoodies like everyone else or maybe, just maybe we will have our family t-shirts of "Hanging out with my Gnomies" on (what i want to do). Depends how cold it is probably.
Please wear flip flops

Now I'm pissed at myself.

I was supposed to take a pic of @cubsker in flips few Saturdays ago at Circa but I forgot.

He was the most popular guy in the joint.
By the way ESPN has a commercial this week for SNF done by Rob Lowe clowning this whole thingLowe NFL.jpg

Should be a helluva night. The two gold standards for night home game crowds at DKR are Houston in '90 and Missouri in '08. Just incredible atmospheres.

I expect as much Saturday night.

Go to El Patio on 29th and Guadalupe for Mexican and a margarita or cold beer.

Or, Dirty's @ 28th and Guadalupe for a burger and onion rings is always good. I recommend the OT Special

Enjoy the game and good on you for making memories that youngsters will remember forever. Looks a bit nippy, a hip flask with your favorite antifreeze seems in order.

Would love to get a recap of the day, VK…
We started with a tour of the campus since my wife graduated from there. Went to the turtle pond, the six pack, etc. .. it was fun and the game room at the student union/commons was especially liked by one of the 15 year olds as they were playing his favorite game at the time. We grabbed some food truck tacos, my wife and I enjoyed a brew (the only ones we would have #parenting) while we considered getting our faces painted (we didn't). We waited for the team bus to arrive for a little tradition with the band and everything. When we got in the boys were admiring the warmups (one of the 15 year olds is a punter on his high school team so he especially enjoyed the kick warmups). Then we got the Army parachute guys that fell into the stadium which was pretty cool and also a little eerie as TCU is Fort Worth based and they had the air show crash a few hours before. It was really awesome to watch their precision in landing in the stadium. The one problem I ran into was our seats. They were good seats .. row 18 in the closed end of the stadium. The problem was the stadium closed won some of the tunnel entrances for some reason and our row was the one that people were sent through. For a quarter and a half thousands of fans were walking behind us (I figured out quickly that we needed to step forward and let them pass from behind us instead of blocking our view). The Boys loved the atmoshphere, the band, the fans, the speed of the game. They are WR Worthy fans. We had already gotten them Texas Hoodies and a blanket as it was pretty cold and they are natured to handle heat but not cold. The game was fantastic and when TCU kept wasting good field position, I thought it was only a matter of time before that bit them in the butt. I love defensive football, so of course I loved the game but I was surprised to hear they did too. My wife was clearly the loudest of us all and the best fan of our group as I tend to evaluate what is going on and what adjustments should be made and the boys were just taking it all in, while she was screaming and yelling and dancing and doing the cheers/songs in the stands. We were disappointed they lost but on the ride back to Houston one of them said "I think I am going to become a college football fan". He had never given CFB a real chance but was always a big Cowboys fan. It warmed my heart to hear those words.

Anyway, it was great bonding and a great experience.

Back