Texas A&M @ Miami

spanishshark

Youngest guy on the forum
NCAAF 9-10-1 YTD

Granted, these are not the Canes from the Warren Sapp days and they are going through some restructuring since they got dismantled but most college teams will go through phases like this sooner or later. Miami still has remnants of a good defense. Not good enough yet to play against some of the big boys such as like Oklahoma but good enough to choke a team like Texas A&M that is mostly a run team. Miami should be able to stop the run here. We have a team with a horrible defense and soso ofense against a team with a good defense and soso ofense. Guess what..Miami WINS.....and since the spread is now less than a field goal I'm jumping all over this one. Home game for Miami in the National spotlight coming off a stomping not too long ago and wanting to show a little spark = money;

Miami - 2 1/2 'an_horse' To the Bank

GL shark... the only portion of this game that interested me was under 48.5, but I am staying away. I hope you cash...

NCAAF 9-10-1 YTD

Granted, these are not the Canes from the Warren Sapp days and they are going through some restructuring since they got dismantled but most college teams will go through phases like this sooner or later. Miami still has remnants of a good defense. Not good enough yet to play against some of the big boys such as like Oklahoma but good enough to choke a team like Texas A&M that is mostly a run team. Miami should be able to stop the run here. We have a team with a horrible defense and soso ofense against a team with a good defense and soso ofense. Guess what..Miami WINS.....and since the spread is now less than a field goal I'm jumping all over this one. Home game for Miami in the National spotlight coming off a stomping not too long ago and wanting to show a little spark = money;

Miami - 2 1/2 'an_horse' To the Bank

Agree, ...A&M is visiting a place called HELL. They will get burned in Miami.

I see Miami putting 8-9 Canes in the box, forcing "champ" to throw the ball. Something he's not very good at or comfortable with. He's 12th out of BIG 12 QB's in total yards and has thrown for only two TD's this year. He completes at about only 52% of his passes for his career, very little arm strength. He's dangerous on the option or when defenses fail to account for him, where he will tuck it and take off for some nice gains.

Miami will force a lot of 3rd and longs. They'll key on stopping the run (4-3-4) and TE Martellyouaboutme Bennett. One on one with the atm WR's shouldn't be too hard a task for the talented Miami DB's. NOT ONE ATM WR has breakaway speed or is a downfield threat.

I watched McGee against Fresno State and he doesn't set his feet very well at all, they're all over the place, as a result, his passes are all over the place. He tries to run through all his progressions, before making a decision it seems. It doesn't help that he has no go to WR. atm WR's are average, and again, not very fast. They're built for atm's running game. Combine this fact with McGee holding onto the ball too long, equals a long offensive day for Francakes.

Its going to be an ugly game. Fraudphoney will revert back to running only, after having McGee pass 30+ times on a weak Sun Belt team last week. Fraudphoney tries to keep it close and then tries to steal it late, especially on the road.

Didn't work on a THURS night at VT (03). Didn't work on a THURS night at Clemson.(05)

His team will come out soft, unemotional just like his and ()C ()arnells personality.

Fraud's and ()arnells 4-2-5 makes Miami's offense look the best it has in a long time, and that is not saying much, on National TV:)

Miami will come out jacked up and ready to go. Francakes will probably make multiple coaching mistakes. Miami wins a close, boring game.

MIAMI 28
atm 20

Royalwithcheese......very humorous analysis...enjoyed reading it and I hope your final prediction is correct..hehe:shake:

BetTheRent$...I'm not sure it will be that terribly bad but I do hope they can atleast take a team with a weak defense like this at home..and BTW, welcome aboard our site. :shake:

chopz33......good health to you bro :cheers:

I'd also like to point out in Coach ()arnell's vaunted 4-2-5 sits two very average LB's.

Mark Dodge, god bless him, is ex-ARMY and was at the Pentagon when it was attacked. He is 26 yeards old.

Before that, I shit you not, he was playing flag-football and received ZERO offers to play D-1 football. Then Feather River CC in Cali called! He transferred to atm in 06', which of course is in a recruiting hotbed and this is the best they have to line up at LB. Not fast, not very good. He does make a lot of tackles....from behind!

The other LB is old for a college LB too, at 25. Misi Tupe. He transferred to atm from Dixie State CC, UTAH. He is around 5-11 and 245 pounds. Solid hitter, but has limited lateral movement. In the 4-2-5, the backers have to play sideline to sideline - both of these guys cannot do that against better competition IMVHO.

Miami SO RB Javarris James is avg 5.3 ypc after a very nice 802 yard FR year. The other back, Graig James is avg 4.6 ypc thus far.

Miami will run all over the weak atm 4-2-5. The DB's after 3 games still, STILL, play way off the line of scrimmage.

I expect Miami to pound atm with their power running game and the toss sweeps will be good for 4-5 yards a pop!

I know aTm pretty well. If Miami can just slow down aTm's running game, like to 150 rush yards or less, then they'll win easily. The wild card is Stephen McGee. It seems like there is never a man on him and he runs like Tim Tebow. His a big white dude that runs downhill and can take hits. Miami needs to have a spy on him and be aware of him taking off after a busted play, cause he is a very effective runner and a very ineffective passer. Not to mention his WRs suck.

Stephen McGee had a 237-yard game against Monroe but Monroe is no Miami. Miami has allowed less than 109 yards per game on the ground. For A&M to be successful they will need a constant air attack by McGee. Also keep in mind that A&M had a short work week and its their first road game. Miami is a very hostile environment so it wont be easy for them. Miami will be keying up on RB Mark Goodson who carried the ball 11 times for 113 yards and WR Kerry Franks who caught 5 passes for 82 yds. and a TD against Monroe. Im not worried, Miami will be ready :wacka wacka:

Goopster.....nothing against A&M personallly bud. This is strictly from a capping point of view. There is no question McGee could burn that Miami secondary, I just think Miami will be ready. This is what I had to consider when I made my play. According to my numbers, A&M should actually be favored by 4 points. I'm just swinging it the other way because of the especially hostile crowd A&M will face coupled with the fact that this is a game Miami MUST win at home in my opinion. Emotions will be running high on both sides and I'm giving Miami the edge here. Good luck bud, whichever way you go :cheers:

liking the under here. Wright sucks and AM wont be intimidated, but Can they move in the red zone vs Caane D, I like under

I have followed A&M my whole life, graduated in 2002, and I am a huge homer.

That said, no way I touch A&M in this game. The under is the play if there is one. Possibly Miami first half only because Darnell has shown that he makes decent halftime adjustments (save the Cal and Fresno games). He seems to turn a below average defense into an average one.

I see Miami putting 8-9 Canes in the box, forcing "champ" to throw the ball. Something he's not very good at or comfortable with. He's 12th out of BIG 12 QB's in total yards and has thrown for only two TD's this year. He completes at about only 52% of his passes for his career, very little arm strength. He's dangerous on the option or when defenses fail to account for him, where he will tuck it and take off for some nice gains.

Miami will force a lot of 3rd and longs. They'll key on stopping the run (4-3-4) and TE Martellyouaboutme Bennett. One on one with the atm WR's shouldn't be too hard a task for the talented Miami DB's. NOT ONE ATM WR has breakaway speed or is a downfield threat.

I watched McGee against Fresno State and he doesn't set his feet very well at all, they're all over the place, as a result, his passes are all over the place. He tries to run through all his progressions, before making a decision it seems. It doesn't help that he has no go to WR. atm WR's are average, and again, not very fast. They're built for atm's running game. Combine this fact with McGee holding onto the ball too long, equals a long offensive day for Francakes.

Its going to be an ugly game. Fraudphoney will revert back to running only, after having McGee pass 30+ times on a weak Sun Belt team last week. Fraudphoney tries to keep it close and then tries to steal it late, especially on the road.

Didn't work on a THURS night at VT (03). Didn't work on a THURS night at Clemson.(05)

His team will come out soft, unemotional just like his and ()C ()arnells personality.

Fraud's and ()arnells 4-2-5 makes Miami's offense look the best it has in a long time, and that is not saying much, on National TV:)

Miami will come out jacked up and ready to go. Francakes will probably make multiple coaching mistakes. Miami wins a close, boring game.

MIAMI 28
atm 20

I think you were joking with most of this, but I wanted to point out a few things for people that don't follow A&M closely.

1. Stephen McGee has a very strong arm. His arm strength last year was weak because he injured his shoulder in the 2nd or 3rd game and played through it the rest of the season. However, this year, the arm strength is back. However, his throws are inconsistent and he tends to lock onto one receiver.

2. There are quite a few very fast receivers. They just suck. Speed is not the problem with A&M's receiving corp. Route running, getting open, and catching the ball are the problem.

3. The O-Line was supposed to be the strength of the team this year. They have been a huge disappointment so far in pass protection.

4. You add the 3 points above, and it comes down to what everyone and their mother has been saying...can A&M run the ball and control the clock against Miami's defense?

1. No, he does not. Did you not watch the Fresno State game. McGee finished with 79 yards passing, IN A 3 OT GAME! Watch tonight, he'll have ZERO zip on the ball.

2. Outside of Kerry Franks, who is 5-10 and the only SR WR - I disagree. The rest are average speed, but you're right on the they suck part. (atm has never had a 1,000 yard WR in their history, just thought I would throw that in:)

3. You're right, strength was supposed to be and is run blocking. Francakes line was never expected to pass block and they aren't talented enough to do that.

I think you were joking with most of this, but I wanted to point out a few things for people that don't follow A&M closely.

1. Stephen McGee has a very strong arm. His arm strength last year was weak because he injured his shoulder in the 2nd or 3rd game and played through it the rest of the season. However, this year, the arm strength is back. However, his throws are inconsistent and he tends to lock onto one receiver.

2. There are quite a few very fast receivers. They just suck. Speed is not the problem with A&M's receiving corp. Route running, getting open, and catching the ball are the problem.

3. The O-Line was supposed to be the strength of the team this year. They have been a huge disappointment so far in pass protection.

4. You add the 3 points above, and it comes down to what everyone and their mother has been saying...can A&M run the ball and control the clock against Miami's defense?

Obviously our friend from Clear Lake is a T-sip. They still blame Darnell for their short comings. I have no great love for Fran, myself, tho. Fran's offense doesn't present a vertical passing option, unfortunately. There is nothing wrong with McGee's arm, putting 3k+ up at Burnet, it's Fran's option offense.....I hate my qb running on a consistent basis.
Our defense may never recover from Torbush. I'd run over that guy if I had the chance. His "you must earn the Wrecking Crew name" campaign killed our constant flow of defensive recruits.

GL

Press

Whoop '77

Aggies go for broke at Miami
By TIM REYNOLDS​
MIAMI — Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione started hearing his players talk about facing Miami several months ago during spring practice. The Aggies meant no disrespect to any other opponent, but this was the nonconference game that stood out from the rest.

Now with Montana State, Fresno State and LouisianaMonroe out of the unbeaten Aggies’ way, that primetime matchup with the Hurricanes is finally here.

“Coach said it best,” Aggies defensive back Devin Gregg said. “It can be exposure, or we can be exposed.”

The 20th-ranked Aggies haven’t started 4-0 in consecutive seasons since the early 1940s. They’ll get a chance to change that tonight when they visit unranked Miami (2-1).

It’s the first meeting between the teams since 1944, and the Aggies’ first trip to Florida since 1968.

“This is a big game for us, but you’ve got to play every game like it’s a big game,” Miami defensive end Calais Campbell said. “It’ll be on national TV and all the people who do the little rankings and stuff will be watching, so we’ve got to go out and make a statement.”

While Miami has won its last 10 games on Thursday nights, the Hurricanes are 1-7 in their last eight matchups against ranked opponents and 9-8 in their last 17 games overall.

Over its last 20 games, Texas A&M has allowed 28 or more points nine times. The Aggies are 2-7 in those games, 10-1 in all others.

—AP

AGGIES MUST PASS ROAD TESTS TO PROVE THEY’RE CONTENDERS
JIMMY BURCH jburch@star-telegram.com
JIMMY BURCH, 817-390-7760​
Texas A&M’s road opponents are a combined 13-2 this season.
At Texas A&M, the appetizer tray has been put away. It’s time for the meat-and-potatoes stretch of the 2007 football season, starting with Thursday’s game at Miami.

How well the Aggies (3-0) handle the next nine games, especially the five that will be played on the road, will determine if No. 20 Texas A&M is ready to return to college football’s big-boy table when BCS bowl berths and conference titles are decided in December.

If the Aggies become road warriors, as they were in 2006, they’ll contend for a Big 12 title. If they struggle away from Kyle Field, as they’ve done in most seasons under coach Dennis Franchione, they’ll be lucky to wind up in the Alamo Bowl.

That’s because A&M’s road opponents — No. 4 Oklahoma, No. 24 Nebraska, No. 25 Missouri, undefeated Texas Tech and perennial power Miami — are a combined 13-2 this season.

Although the Aggies were 5-0 in road games last season, that record will be irrelevant when A&M takes the field at 6:45 p.m. Thursday at the Orange Bowl, where Miami is 40-6 since the 1999 season.

“Nothing we did last year is going to affect anything we do this year,” quarterback Stephen McGee said. “In a hostile environment, the important thing is to keep playing hard, no matter what the scoreboard says. That’s all you can really do.”

For A&M, what the scoreboard says when the clock expires Thursday will say a lot about where this team is headed. The Hurricanes (2-1) are not the beasts they once were. But a victory at Miami would provide a huge mental boost for an A&M team that needs to rediscover its road swagger after being humiliated 45-10 by California in its last appearance outside Aggieland (2006 Holiday Bowl).

A loss in Miami, on the other hand, raises serious questions about whether the Aggies have the mental mettle to handle the Big 12’s toughest road houses. Especially the one in Norman, Okla., where the same Hurricanes that A&M will face Thursday were clobbered 51-13 by Oklahoma on Sept. 8.

Franchione, who is 9-12 in road games as A&M’s coach, understands what is at stake in Miami. That’s why he was quick to turn the page mentally after Saturday’s 54-14 rout of Louisiana-Monroe and said “everything has to speed up” in practice this week.

A&M tailback Mike Goodson predicted the Aggies will embrace their opportunity “to show that we can play with anybody.” Franchione praised last year’s team for its grit and expressed hope that its road success will carry over.

“Certainly, that’s something to build on,” Franchione said.

“That takes a degree of mental toughness and physical toughness ... to go undefeated when you play in the Big 12 on the road.”

A repeat of last year’s success rate makes A&M a 2007 title contender. Reverting to a typical Franchione road record (sub-.500), on the other hand, keeps the Aggies out of the BCS loop. Again.

A&M hasn’t been an insider since 1998, when the school won its lone Big 12 title. But the glass ceiling beckons Thursday, for Franchione and his program. Whether the Aggies break through it in Miami will tell us a lot about where they’re headed for the rest of the season.

Respect? Just a little bit will do
Texas A&M gets its first true test of the season
against ‘The U’
By BRIAN DAVIS
Staff Writer brdavis@dallasnews.com
COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Growing up in Florida, Marquis Carpenter said he followed only one school — “The U.”

The Miami Hurricanes might be near and dear to Carpenter’s heart, but the Texas A&M senior said he envisions a day when people talk about the Aggies with such respect.

“It should be like, ‘Oh, he’s an Aggie. He went to A&M,’ ” Carpenter said. “I feel we have the same talent those guys have over there. We play hard every play, down after down, just like they do.”

Miami might be rebuilding under first-year coach Randy Shannon, but it’s still “The U.” The 20th-ranked Aggies (3-0) can show the nation they are ready for prime time by knocking off the Hurricanes (2-1) tonight in the Orange Bowl.

“Being able to play on Thursday night, there aren’t many games, and you get to be in the spotlight and be on ESPN,” quarterback Stephen McGee said. “Those are definitely plus-factors. You get to find out where you are by playing a good team.”

This is easily the biggest nonconference game in coach Dennis Franchione’s tenure at A&M. The Aggies botched season openers to Utah (2004) and Clemson (2005) en route to mediocre seasons.

Franchione’s three opponents this season have a combined 2-6 record, and one of Montana State’s wins came against a Division II school. Many A&M fans consider this the unofficial season opener and a true measuring stick of the Aggies’ talent.

A&M has a brutal road schedule once Big 12 play starts. The Aggies are headed to Lubbock, Lincoln, Norman and Columbia over the next two months. A win at Miami shows that A&M is ready for the challenge.

“I feel good about these guys,” Franchione said. “So I’m not really concerned about personal statements or anything like that.”

A&M offensive lineman Kirk Elder said he expects the ’Canes to be ready to defend their turf.

“They have extreme pride about who they are and their identity,” Elder said. “They’re ‘The U.’ They take pride in that. So they’re going to be looking to come out and knock us off.”

Surprisingly, the game at the Orange Bowl, which holds 72,319, is not sold out. A&M officials, however, sold their allotment of 5,000 tickets.

Goopster.....All of the emotions felt by Franchione and his players when I read those articles, are also being felt by the Miami players. After high expectations last year and then falling on their faces, they again have a chance this season to salvage something for the "U". Tonight is a great spot for both of these teams to let it all hang out. It should be a great battle and hopefully entertaining if nothing else.

:cheers:

1. No, he does not. Did you not watch the Fresno State game. McGee finished with 79 yards passing, IN A 3 OT GAME! Watch tonight, he'll have ZERO zip on the ball.

So lack of yards = lack of arms strength?

I have watched every snap of every game on TV, make at least 3 or 4 games a year, and read anything printed about A&M's football team. I think your despise of A&M is coloring your analysis. It really doesn't matter because a lack of a passing game is the same regardless. But he does have a strong arm. He does NOT have good accuracy or good receivers. Regardless, the game will be won or lost based on A&M's ability or inability to consistently run the football and eat the clock.

He has the least amount of yards in the BIG 12. Have you seen him throw a pass over 4.75 yards this year?

His idea of airing it out or throwing a bomb is a 20 yarder.

Sen Bob Dole's lil arm is stronger than McGee's!

GL shark... the only portion of this game that interested me was under 48.5, but I am staying away. I hope you cash...

I rescend that statement. The under does not interest me anymore, but Miami -2 does. Plenty of factors point to Miami covering, but the one that did it for me was TAMU's defense.

The scoreboard does not reflect the true TAMU defense. Take a look at yardage allowed by TAMU versus inferior opposing offenses. The opponents didn't score but moved the ball at will up and down the field. On the flip side, Miami's defensive stats are skewed because of their lack of effort once the OU game got out of hand in the 2nd half.

I don't think this will be an official play for me, but I found a coworker that wants to bet me, so I will try to get as much out of him as possible.

royale
I have seen him throw it on a rope to the left flat after rolling to the right. I'm pretty sure your namesake DKR would calculate that to be longer than 4.75 yards. Arm strength is not the problem, accuracy & receivers with wd-40 instead of stickum on their hands is.

BlueChip - A&M philosophy on D is bend but don't break, that is why you see the stats that you do. I lean towards Miami on the spread but the Under is the higher % play.

miami will bitch-slap A&M, and I think the books know that. Look for instance at bodog's line while other sites have been falling to around 1.5 they have stayed at 3. Bodog markets first time and unexperienced bettors. What they are doing now is just letting everyone taking tamu pay the -145 juice. And i'm sure people are falling all over it.

As for an approach at the actual game. miami's opponents, outside of ou, are a "little bit" better than a&m. A stat that i like for miami is that their defense is allowing only 2.9 yards per rush, even with ou. If fresno can put 45 on a&m's defense in CS, then i would hope that Miami's O can put some points on the board. A&M will not run for 200 yards in this game. And with this said I have to take:

Miami -2

I like everyone's opinion on this game but I think A&M will win this game straight up. I think it will be a close game but I feel you gotta give the edge to the better running team. I think McGee is a better quarterback overall and he had a pretty solid day passing last week. That carries over for him. A&M has been motivated by this game for a while and not saying Miami isn't, but I think A&M is playing for more overall this season. I don't see this being blowout and I think Miami's front four will have a difficult time stopping the run. They might do well in pass rush, but I think the offensive line of the Aggies can hold off just enough. The cornerback issues of Miami doesn't help either it seems. I just feel Randy Shannon is trying to hard and I am not a fan of his playcalling. Taking the points, only two, but that is my pick. GL to all!

Its been raining in most of South Florida on and off all day. No torrential downpours but enough to make it a slick field and sloppy ball handling. If it becomes a running game, who do we think will cover? :36_1_12:

BetTheRent$.....Actually, IF I were to play the Aggies, It would have to be the ML...hehe No other choice there :cheers:

hey SHARK...are u heading to DA BANK right now? lol good call BRO....I reallly think MIA was a gimme. easy bet :)..but they kinda F-up 2H though. :)

BET BIG WIN BIG...LTDragon510

Last edited:
Back