Tennis - 2014 French Open

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
Kinda distracted by offline stuff at the mo, so don't know how many thoughts/bets I'll end up throwing in here before the crunchtime of the tourny arrives but will start with a couple of WTA FO futures:

Halep (+1100)
Stosur (+6600)

Nothing significant risked, but I give Halep a shot at making the final, and Stosur a shot to make the semis. From there it'd be look to hedge time.

Thanks Scopey, Ret, TM. :cheers:

Li Na dropping out overnight means Halep is the highest seeded player in the bottom half of the draw. Barring upsets, the way her draw plays out is -

3rd R - Torro-Flor
No HtH meetings, Torro-Flor lost 4 straight clay court matches prior to the FO starting.

4th R - Makarova likely, possibly Stephens
1 meeting in '13, Halep won 6-1 7-6 on HC. Makarova went 1-3 SU in her last 3 lead-in clay tournies before the FO.
Halep beat Stephens in their only previous clay meeting, and Stephens has an 11-10 record on clay in major events the last 2 years. Her surface is obviously hardcourts = she's 2-0 on those vs. Halep.

QF - Kvitova or Ivanobitch or Kuznetsova likely, outside chance of Safarova
Halep beat both Kvitova (6-7 6-3 6-2) & Ivanobitch (6-2 6-2) @Madrid prior to this FO. How telling is that win vs. Ana? Ana played 3 clay tournies prior to the FO, and lost to only 3 of 14 opponents: Serena, Sharapova & Halep. Of those 3, only Halep failed to lose a set to her. Halep lost to Ana in a Fed Cup clash (on clay), but FC results = meaningless to me.
Safarova went 3-4 SU in her lead-in tournies before the FO and lost her only previous clay court meeting w/Halep. Of these 4, I'd perceive Kuznetsova as being the biggest threat. She recently beat Halep at Stuttgart (7-6 7-5), and to me has a level of nouse that no other player I've listed throughout all these rounds has. Probably the opponent left on her side of the draw with the greatest mix of intelligence & experience (4 Slam finals & 2 wins testify to the fact). However, Halep beat her 6-1 6-1 in their only other clay court meeting (just last year), and as always with these Russians, who knows what you're going to get on any given day.

SF - Jankovic likely, possibly Errani
Halep is 3-0 vs. Jankobitch since 2012, and 2-0 against her lifetime on clay. Last 2 meetings have gone to 3 sets, but in each match Halep won a set by a 6-0 scoreline. Jankobitch is like Ana, she has head problems. I watched her match against Errani in Rome (a match she should've won), her brother came down to coach on the sidelines at certain points in the match, talk about a corrosive mix. IMO she needs to get rid of having a family member in such a crucial role if she's going to progress. I wouldn't put a cent on her vs. a decent opponent while her support crew issues are so badly organised.
Errani played a deep & an emotional Rome tournament (made the doubles final as well as becoming the first Italian woman singles finalist since '85, but injury curtailed both), if she made the SF stage here I'd back her opponent sight unseen. No way she has the gas to make it all the way to the final here imo.

With Li Na out, I think Halep's current future odds still hold value. The Quarter-Finals loom as her make or break spot.

TM, yep. Don't think Errani will get through Jankovic twice in a month, thou. She was lucky to beat her in Rome (where Jankovic basically beat herself).

In post #5's outlining of Halep's potential opponents leading into the final, the one I perceived to be her biggest potential threat is the one she faces in tonight's QF. Looking at the odds, I see Kuznetsova is +1100 to win it all. To me, that's crazy, but undoubtedly those odds are inflated due to Maria & Simone's odds clearly being above & beyond the rest of the field's, and Kuzzy would have to - all things being equal - go through both to claim the title, hence her current price. Some stats:

Kuzzy is 6-1 HtH vs. Errani (the likely semi-final opponent for the winner of this QF), is 4-6 HtH vs. Sharapova, and is 1-0 vs. Bouchard (on clay in 2014: 6-4 6-1).
- I've already stated my belief that Errani isn't psychologically positioned to make the final here, and has only made it thus far for a kind draw (& Jankovic beating herself again: seriously, served twice for the 1st set at 5-4 & 6-5 and failed both times, and that was after coming back from 1-4 down. No wonder her game left her in the 2nd set, she just lost it emotionally. She has to get rid of her brother on the sidelines. He's a toxic presence for her ability to get her game to the next level).
- Kuzzy and Sharapova have never met on clay, and there's no doubt in my mind that should they meet in the final Kuzzy would be a fair chance of winning. Shitpova's serve can disappear at a moments notice, cue her 1st set vs. future Slam winner Muguruza.
- Bouchard would be facing the absolutely wrong kind of opponent in Kuznetsova, in hoping to win in her first ever Slam final appearance. She'd have a much better chance against either Halep or Errani (thou the latter has made a FO final herself, she's a defensive pusher, my hated brickwaller type player. Bouchard on song could eat her alive, thou her only loss to Errani has come on clay).

Kuzzy is in her 7th FO QF in 12 appearances, this vs. 8 QF in 34 appearances in all the other Slams combined (3 previous FO semis in 11 attempts vs. 2 semi spots in 34 other Slam attempts combined). She's won the FO before (beating Radwanska, Serena & Stosur in consecutive rounds on the way to doing so), as well as losing one to henin in her prime (henin was in the midst of winning 4 FO in 5 years, something nadal has done no better than) - it's her favourite Slam surface.

Halep is playing in only her 2nd Slam QF (& her 2nd in a row), but I see the key to her improvement is that -

From January 2014, Simona Halep is coached by Wim Fissette, former coach of Kim Clijsters and Sabine Lisicki.
[SUP]
Even if I didn't have the Halep future, I'd be putting something on this bet. I don't have much doubt whoever wins this match will stride past Errani. Rome is going to catch up with the latter sooner rather than later, but I doubt Petkovik has enough to her to be the one to bring its inertia to bear on her.

Kuznetsova (+1100) (to win the same as my Halep future)[/SUP]

She has to get there first. Last year I underestimated first time final nerves with Lisicki, here I fully expect first time SF nerves for both Halep & Petkovic, but as the German has been on tour for 4 years longer (& has made Slam QF twice as often as Halep prior to reaching this point) I expect her experience puts her in a better position to manage her emotions. Plus Romania's sporting media has basically nothing else to focus on. German media will no doubt be hot on the men's WC football team. I'd have much preferred her facing a pusher like Errani: when she got overwhelmed in her AO QF it was against someone (Cibulkova) who attacked her nerves & dismantled her game. Petkovic potentially could manage that here, where Errani would stand no chance of doing so. Against Errani, a nervous Halep would still have to beat herself (with errors).
That's why I'm considering an Over bet (both players to get their share of games), but I want to see the first SF go by first. In 28 of the last 32 WTA FO, there's been at least one of the two SF total 19 games or less, and since the tiebreaker was introduced to the tourney ('73), there's only been 4 of 41 tournies which have failed to see at least one SF &/or F total 19 games or less. If Shitpova & Bouchard produce a 20+ game match, history doesn't paint a kind picture for a second straight game heavy SF.

Yeah. I won't be hedging pre-game, Maria isn't paying enough to make it worth considering. I'll go with looking at things live, and if Halep gets done like a dinner from the get go then so be it.

Back