Tennessee @ South Carolina

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Start off with some SC injuries

TE J. Cook is nursing a sore foot, leading WR on team, has been bothing him since Ole Miss game.

LG Jamon Meredith hurt his ankle in the 1st quarter of LSU game, wait till later in the week.

RG Heath Batchelor suspended for this game

Above, all 3 are / would be starters. Cook and Meredith are likely going to play. The Guard spot against LSU was weaker than normal because the top two gaurds (Meredith/Batchelor) were out of the game.

The problems have been the same all year for South Carolina. Turnovers, Sacks, lack of rushing game. Its hard for me to say with certainty which aspect they will improve in. Tennessee despite the record still has a defense that can cause South Carolina problems on offense. Garcia is set to start at QB, you don't know what you are going to get are for how long(1st H LSU / 2nd H LSU) but should see gradual improvement from him every game.

Tennessee is coming off a very physical game with Bama, they have a few injuries

Defensive tackle Dan Williams suffered an ankle injury in the loss to Alabama and is listed as doubtful

The biggest injury on the offensive side is the ankle sprain suffered by Gerald Jones. Jones suffered the injury while returning a punt against Mississippi State and missed the Alabama game. Jones dressed for practice on Sunday and participated on a limited basis.

My initial lean is to the UNDER in this game, if I had to throw out a number that we might see it would be 41, think this is going to be a tough faught defensive game close to 35-37pts. 20-14 type game

yeah i see the total as being small also .. which is why i cant play s carolina like i want to. laying 6 or so in these small totaled games is asking for trouble imo. Think they cover though.

is it me or does Fullmer seem to cover most of the time as a road dog?...

Different era though. THis is team can't score period. Don't know how you can ever bet on team that is lucky to score 10 points against a decent defense. It is good to see that the defense is still playing hard, but they are on the field way to much because the offense can't even get first downs. I just don't see this offense is capable of sending off Fulmer with even a bowl game.

some articles, I will add some more thoughts to this thread 2night/tomorrow, I do lean SC and the Under

Garcia Gets Starting Nod

Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Two days ago, Steve Spurrier wasn't certain who South Carolina's starting quarterback would be when the Gamecocks square off with Tennessee Saturday night at Williams-Brice Stadium.

Forty-eight hours, though, have made a world of difference.

Spurrier announced Tuesday redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia would make his second career start against the disappointing Volunteers in the ESPN2 nationally televised contest. Garcia started USC's last game, a 24-17 loss to LSU Oct. 18 in which the offense totaled 212 yards in the first half but mustered just 42 yards over the final two quarters.

"Stephen Garcia is set to start the game," Spurrier said during his weekly press conference at Williams-Brice Stadium. "If he struggles and has a lot of problems, Chris Smelley may go in. We'll just have to see how it goes. We'll give Stephen every opportunity (to succeed) and see if he seems to know what he's doing in there and make good decisions. But Chris is very capable of playing also. It seems like the guy who comes off the bench has played pretty well around here. So we'll have to keep that in mind also."

Garcia's numbers against the Tigers were respectable for a young player in the glaring spotlight for the first time in his career. He completed 14 of 26 passes for 215 yards and one touchdown to tight end Weslye Saunders on a perfectly executed drag route.

Garcia also carried the pigskin 19 times – matching the single game season high for a Gamecock player this year - for a net of 15 yards. Garcia gained 64 yards on his carries, but 49 of those yards were wiped out by sacks. Spurrier acknowledged Garcia's mobility is one key reason he's starting.

"Certainly the ability to dodge people is very helpful," Spurrier said. "Stephen can do that, and he can break some arm tackles getting free. We're not discouraging him from running occasionally. We're just trying to encourage him to get rid of the ball at times and don't take those sacks. With the rules in college football now, you run about four yards over here, throw it past the line, that's all you gotta do
and then play again. Anyway, that's part of the game he needs to learn and improve upon."

Having said that, it's obvious the six sacks Garcia took against the Tigers still grates on his head coach, whose message Tuesday was identical to his previous media briefings this week – the redshirt freshman must learn to release the ball quicker when he's pressured rather than hold onto it.

"Quarterbacks have to get rid of the ball," Spurrier said. "Stephen again has only played one and a half games or so – or 2 halve and a game. In high school he'd look down the field and if he didn't throw it, he'd say, 'Well, I'll take off running.' Unfortunately, he's got to break that habit. You just can't take off running. Every now and then it's fine when you have an opening. But when there's no opening there you just can't start running around. You've got to throw it away or find somebody. You can't just go down with it for an 8-yard sack. We had about two or three of those last game at bad times in the game, real bad times.

"Our challenge is for the quarterback to get rid of the ball and not take so many sacks. The sacks really hurt last week and have hurt us all year as far as that goes. So that's our challenge, to see if we can avoid a whole bunch of sacks. We'll also try to run the ball somewhat respectfully, and go from there."

Spurrier would also prefer Garcia not run with the ball as much to avoid getting hit hard by opposing tacklers and taking an unnecessary risk of being injured.

"Stephen is a little bit better runner than our other quarterbacks here, so we could use him occasionally to run," Spurrier said. "But our offense is not based on the quarterback carrying the ball as much as the tailback. We're still trying to let the tailbacks do the ball-carrying and receivers catch the passes. We haven't been all that super at it. But we're still trying to do that."

USC has surrendered the highest number of sacks in the SEC (30). Only one other conference school has allowed more than 20 - Arkansas with 28. Together with a malfunctioning ground game (100.2 ypg, 12th in the SEC) and the worst turnover margin in the SEC (minus-9) and it's easy to see why the Gamecocks are struggling to score points (22.4 ppg) despite a number of positive signals that progress is being made.

"Offensively, we've struggled. We've struggled running the ball, our offensive line has struggled, our running backs have not made any long runs," Spurrier said. "Kenny McKinley got hurt in the first quarter of the second game and missed a few in there. Our quarterback play has been decent, not super yet. But we're working at it, and we're trying to get better and hopefully we'll have some plans to help our quarterbacks and help our offense move the ball better."

Offensively, USC remains a paradox. Although the running game has been paralyzed the last three games, the Gamecocks continue to move the ball with a productive passing attack. USC has the second best passing offense in the SEC behind Georgia with an average of 239.6 yards per game. It's the 36th best figure in NCAA Division I.

USC has thrown for 200 or more yards in seven of eight games this season. The season low of 195 passing yards came in the UAB win when the Gamecocks' offense displayed the most balance this season between rushing and passing yardage.

The productive passing game is largely responsible for the fact USC is second in the SEC in first downs (164) and third in third-down conversions (43.9 percent). Want more? Only eight times in eight games has USC run three plays and punted. The average of 1.0 three-and-outs per game is the fourth lowest in the country behind only Missouri, Texas Tech and Tulsa, three of the most prolific offenses in the nation.

Also, USC has punted the ball just 22 times in eight games, an average of 2.75 punts per game, the sixth lowest figure in the SEC. Among the top 10 punters in the SEC, Spencer Lanning is tied for the fewest punts and is sixth in net average (42.4 yards per punt).

Saturday night, USC will be looking for its first home win over Tennessee since 1992 when the Gamecocks held on for an exciting 24-23 win on Halloween. Since then, USC is 0-7 against the Vols in Columbia.

Two years ago, USC won the statistical battle, outgaining Tennessee, 395-325, but three turnovers produced a 31-24 loss. Tennessee returned an interception for a touchdown early in the game before later scoring six points on a deflected pass in the end zone.

USC's only win over Tennessee since 1992 came three years ago in Knoxville when a late 49-yard field goal by Josh Brown gave the Gamecocks a 16-15 victory.

"We've played them three close games since I've been here," Spurrier said. "Unfortunately, they won two of them, and we've only won one. Hopefully, the ball bounces our way a little bit better maybe in the fourth quarter and hopefully we'll play better. We didn't play
very well offensively the last game, really the entire second half.

USC trails the all-time series with Tennessee by a 21-3-2 margin. But the Gamecocks are favored for one of the few times in the series against the reeling Volunteers.

"I think we've only beaten them twice since South Carolina joined the conference, so we're way behind in the standings with Tennessee, way behind. So it would be very good to beat teams that have beaten you a whole bunch, that's for sure."

Last year, the statistical gap between the two teams was even wider (501 yards to 317), but four turnovers and critical blunders by USC's special teams and defense late in the game allowed Tennessee to escape with a 27-24 overtime win.

Tennessee finds itself alone in last place in the SEC East with three conference games remaining. With a 1-4 league mark, the best the Vols can do is finish .500 in the conference. Not surprisingly, rumors that head coach Phil Fulmer could be in trouble have swirled for the last couple of weeks. He didn't help himself with the 29-9 loss to Alabama last Saturday night.

Meanwhile, USC is trying to gain bowl eligibility for the fifth consecutive season. The last time USC went five or more straight seasons with a .500 record or better in the regular season was 1928-34. USC has finished 3-5 in the SEC the past two seasons.

"It's just another big conference game to see if we can get into the top half of the Eastern division," Spurrier said. "That's one of our goals right now, to finish in the top three. Let's see if we can do that."

USC and Tennessee have faced two common opponents this season: UAB and Georgia. Both team cruised past the Blazers in nonconference matchups, while losing to Georgia. The Gamecocks fell to the Bulldogs by seven points (14-7) on Sept. 13. The Vols lost to Georgia in Athens, 26-14, three weeks ago.

With both teams struggling to run the ball and both defenses ranked first and fourth in the SEC in total defense – USC is first again this week with an average yield of 256.1 yards per game – another SEC defensive battle could erupt.

Will get into this game in-depth tonight, bout to lock in SC-6

Situationally speaking, I like SC coming off the bye, it came at a perfect time for the final stretch where they have to go 3-1 to make this year a building block for 2009. Then there is the painful loss to Tenn last year, outgaining them by nearly 150yds and 15 more FD's but a breakdown on special teams, inability to recover a fumble, and a shitty OT all equaled a loss. SC has more to play for and Tennessee is coming off a very physical game with Bama. It might not sound like much, but this is SC's chance to break into the top 3 of the East and the morale of the team is very high. While Tennessee is down this year, their name still represents a win for this program that they've only tasted twice since joining the SEC. It appears that the 2 injuries that concerned me (J. Cook, and Jamon Meredith) will be good to go by game time.

October 29, 2008

BYE WEEK RECHARGES GAMECOCKS
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Bye week recharges Gamecocks
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Bye week recharges Gamecocks "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Bye week recharges Gamecocks"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

It's been eight weeks of sometimes-frustrating football, but one bottom line is mountain-spring clear -- South Carolina has been extremely healthy this year.

With an extra week to heal any nagging dings and tweaks, the Gamecocks are rested, relaxed and ready to play the next portion of their season.

"It is a blessing; we're kind of able to take our season in different quarters," defensive tackle Nathan Pepper said. "With those bye weeks being in the place they are, I feel like it's a blessing.

"We got some good time to get our bumps and scrapes healed up."

The only real injury was to tight end Jared Cook, who continues to battle a foot sprain but should be fine for Saturday's game hosting Tennessee. The Gamecocks all got a chance to take it easy for a week, enjoying a weekend off where many went back home.

Pepper returned to his native Greenville and sprawled around the house, watching football and eating home cooking. He thought about going to the Greenville High School game but it was rainy and cold, so he stayed in.

Then he got to enjoy a long Saturday where he could watch football, instead of planning for or playing it.

"I watched a lot of football," he said, the combination muddling him up so much he couldn't provide a definitive answer to which game was his favorite. "Nothing major going on, but it's always good to get a little rest."

His backup, Travian Robertson, said the same. He went back to Laurinburg, N.C., and took advantage of the downtime, sleeping and watching a few games on TV. After a month of preseason camp and two months of games, it was good to have a non-cluttered weekend.

But when the bell rang, Pepper and Robertson immediately shucked their coach-offered lazy period and got back into game mode.

The Volunteers aren't coming off a bye week.

"Nah, because we got big games left," Robertson responded, saying he didn't think there'd be any rust in practice. "I think we'll be ready all week."

Most of the Gamecocks have seen and heard all about Tennessee through the season, many watching last week's 29-9 Alabama win over the Vols. Robertson saw what the statistics prove -- UT has a good defense and an embattled offense.

There's no overlooking because USC, even as a Las Vegas favorite, is simply not good enough to overlook anybody. Robertson walked the straight and narrow talking about the Vols, saying they were just having a bad time of it right now.

"I thought Tennessee's defense was pretty good and the offense struggled a little bit," he said. "But we just have to still fight on what we see our advantages are."

He likewise said he and his teammates didn't pay much attention to the storm clouds gathering around UT coach Phillip Fulmer . That can only be a distraction.

"I look at it but I really don't judge our season on it," Robertson said. "All the teams we got are real good teams, anything can happen, so like I said, about their coach being gone, and about Tennessee not having a good season, they could come in and play a real good game."

The bye week has helped recharge a few batteries and offered some extra time for any players who wanted help to get it. Only time will tell if the layoff worked, but at least the schedule set up very fortunately -- the Gamecocks have avoided major injuries for eight weeks and are now 100 percent for the next three.

After the Nov. 15 Florida game, there's another bye week to heal up again, before the rivalry game at Clemson on Nov. 29.

"Just another big game, conference game, to see if we can get into the top half of the Eastern division," coach Steve Spurrier said. "That's one of our goals right now, to finish in the top three."

From Rivals inside reporter:

Team Information

I’ve gotten nothing but positive vibes from the team since the LSU game. While the players are obviously not happy with the loss, they realize they still have an excellent opportunity to close the season on a high note and earn a spot in a prestigious bowl game. They should be favored in the three of the four remaining games, putting eight wins or more within reach if they take care of business.
<SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT>

Last edited:
I'm already locked in on this game but pretty pissed off right now that the website I pay money to for information reports the wrong shit about LG Jamon Meredith.

<DIV id=contentcontainer style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">October 29, 2008

Practice Quick Kick

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Practice quick kick: Garcia silenced; Meredith doubtful
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Practice quick kick: Garcia silenced; Meredith doubtful "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Practice quick kick: Garcia silenced; Meredith doubtful"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>David Cloninger
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia remained off-limits to the media, coach Steve Spurrier saying the redshirt freshman didn't need to speak.

"He doesn't need it," Spurrier said after Wednesday's practice. "He doesn't need any publicity this week."

Tight end Jared Cook was in a yellow jersey but practiced. Spurrier said that Cook should be fine for Saturday's game hosting Tennessee. Left guard Jamon Meredith didn't look very good, according to Spurrier.

Freshman defensive back C.C. Whitlock was part of a group of five to six players who are on the "academic team." The group skips practice and goes to study hall instead. Their status for the rest of the season will depend on how they do this week.

Stay tuned to GamecockCentral.com for a complete recap.

<!-- no ad here-->

October 30, 2008

Offensive Line Aims to Regroup
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Offensive line aims to regroup
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Offensive line aims to regroup "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Offensive line aims to regroup"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

Steve Spurrier said it was Stephen Garcia's fault. Many critics said it was the offensive line's fault.

Why not go straight to the horse's mouth?

"I mean, we can do a better job as well as the quarterbacks can do a better job," right guard Terrence Campbell said on Wednesday. "We're both in this together. It wasn't more the quarterback's fault, it wasn't more the O-line's fault. We're a team, so we're all just trying to perform our best."

The good news is South Carolina's sacks allowed total is not the nation's worst anymore. The Gamecocks had a bye last week and Hawaii jumped past USC to the last spot with 32.

USC has 30, six of which came in its last game, a 24-17 loss to LSU. Obviously, with those kind of numbers, nobody's celebrating being lifted out of the cellar.

The line has been battling to protect its quarterback all year but Spurrier said most of the sacks LSU got were the fault of quarterback Garcia, who either held onto the ball too long or failed to call timeout when he saw a blitz coming. Several pundits have criticized offensive line coach John Hunt and said the breakdowns were the cause of his group, claiming it's not the QB's responsibility to block for himself too.

Campbell brushed the blame game aside, saying no matter whose specific fault the sacks were, the entire team shared the disappointment.

"It was really just a couple of breakdowns with a little scrambling," he said. "Maybe just a mental breakdown by one of the O-linemen. It was just the little things that we might have messed up on individually."

The Gamecocks' offensive line, after a week off, will be trusted to protect Garcia and give him ample time to throw against Tennessee, Saturday's opponent. Campbell said UT's defense is "just as good as any other defense we've faced in the SEC."

Statistics show Tennessee is fourth in the SEC in rushing and total defense, with 14 sacks. But nine of those came against Mississippi State and Northern Illinois, two of the Vols' last four games, while zero came against Georgia or Alabama, the other two.

For an offense that's battled to find a rhythm all season, USC is looking for some answers and it doesn't matter who the opponent is when they're found. The players -- at least, the ones who have spoken during the season -- have to a man defended Hunt and said they love playing for him.

"I've been here under coach Hunt and coach Hunt is a fantastic coach," center Garrett Anderson said earlier this year. "Nobody's going to play a perfect game. Everyone's going to make mistakes.

"I think it's the QB's job to come out of the pocket every once in a while. But it's our job to make sure that never happens. If we mess up, we know we messed up, and we know we can improve on it."

The Gamecocks could try to shake things up a bit this week, installing some plays where running backs check in behind the line for some extra blocking. Garcia's mobility can get him out of some jams, but Spurrier doesn't want to pin his entire offense on his quarterback strictly running.

"Our O-line has not been all that super, but probably not near as bad as a lot of people think," Spurrier said. "Stephen has only played one and a half games or so -- or two halves and a game. I think in high school he'd look down the field, if he didn't throw it, he'd say, 'Well, I'll take off running.'

"Unfortunately, he's going to break that habit. You just can't take off running."

Whatever the game plan may be, the line's going to have a thin front. With Heath Batchelor remaining suspended and Jamon Meredith gimpy in practice on Wednesday, Campbell and Lemuel Jeanpierre are the starting guards. Backup tackle Hutch Eckerson has been moved to guard to give Campbell and Jeanpierre a breather.

Yet, thin depth is no excuse. Campbell said the line is approaching Tennessee with a new attitude and re-dedication to the job.

"We just come out and try to play the best game we can play," he said. "That's what we've been trying to do. We're going to play with a lot more effort."

Team Information

The coaching staff has spent a lot of time the last two weeks working on their pass protection issues, and I expect there to be some changes in that regard against Tennessee. The Vols will likely disrespect the Gamecock running game, pin their ears back and come after Stephen Garcia, and Spurrier and Co. are getting the players prepared for it.

Offensive lineman Jamon Meredith’s ankle injury has not healed quite as quickly as the staff had anticipated, but he still may be able to play on Saturday. He is receiving extensive treatment, as they know how important it is to get him ready if possible.

Two of Tennessee’s top defensive lineman - Dan Williams and Wes Brown - have not practiced this week and are not expected to play much, if at all, this weekend.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Practice quick kick: Cook out of yellow</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
Tight end Jared Cook reported to South Carolina football practice on Thursday night in a normal garnet jersey. The junior, battling a sprained foot, should be ready to go for Saturday's game hosting Tennessee.

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn also was at practice and said he felt fine.

<DIV id=contentcontainer style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">October 30, 2008

Practice Report

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Practice report: Munnerlyn should be OK
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Practice report: Munnerlyn should be OK "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Practice report: Munnerlyn should be OK"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>David Cloninger
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

The sun was setting, a slight chill was in the air and Halloween loomed.

Maybe that's why South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier didn't have a whole lot to say after practice on Thursday.

"Other than that, looking forward to a big ballgame," Spurrier said, after a short rundown of a few Gamecocks that are nursing injuries.

As the Head Ball Coach is fond of saying, "Simple as that."

The Gamecocks (5-3, 2-3 SEC) host Tennessee (3-5, 1-4) at 7 p.m. on Saturday and the stories this week have already been discussed. Stephen Garcia is starting the game at quarterback and will get the chance to go the distance while backup Chris Smelley is ready to be called on, if need be. Tight end Jared Cook's sprained foot shouldn't hinder his performance or starting assignment. Despite the Volunteers' struggling record, Spurrier says his team isn't overlooking because USC is not good enough to do so.

Maybe a slight change in the standard question about under-fire Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer, but that's it.

"Said that last year, too," Spurrier said, referring to a few rumors that Fulmer must beat USC or he's out of a job. "Had a nice little run to finish."

The Vols were 4-3 (2-2) before the USC game last year and reeled off five straight wins, putting themselves in the SEC championship game before losing by a touchdown to eventual national champ LSU. UT won the Outback Bowl for a 10-4 final ledger.

Denying that finish this year is what the Gamecocks are intent on, or at least the part they can control.

"I'm waiting for our defense to have that game where we have a game where we really play perfect and go out and shut everything down," defensive tackle Nathan Pepper said earlier this week. "We go out and try to dominate everything we do."

Each team has had its problems on offense, especially running the ball, so Saturday may come down to a defensive showcase. That couldn't work out much better for the Gamecocks, who have remained near the nation's top ranking (fourth this week) all season.

The Vols (14) are up there, too, but USC is hoping its defense can squash UT enough to give the offense some breathing room, thus letting the Vols play catch-up all night.

"We weren't particularly good mentally, but we're down right now to where the scout team can't hardly function, we got so many missing," defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said. "I tell you, they're a lot better than people think they are."

Johnson pointed out that as much as the Vols have struggled, sophomore quarterback Nick Stephens hasn't thrown an interception in his last three starts and UT hasn't turned the ball over in three straight games. He also said that no matter what the statistics show -- specifically, in the case of tailback Arian Foster, who rushed for 1,193 yards last year but has only 402 this year -- the Vols are a dangerous bunch.

"Phillip's been there a long time, he's an offensive line coach, and Tennessee's running game's going to be Tennessee's running game every year," Johnson said.

Johnson's squad is healthy save for the lingering effects of a stomach bug to junior cornerback Captain Munnerlyn. Munnerlyn practiced on Thursday and was reportedly fine, but Johnson said it was one of those things where Munnerlyn would have to really watch his fluid intake.

The junior has suffered from cramps several times in the past, which caused an offseason visit to a doctor and a reworked diet, cutting out a lot of fried food. Still, an illness can cause dehydration to occur quickly, so Munnerlyn is being told to keep pumping Gatorade and water before the game.

"Something we've got to be concerned about on Saturday," Johnson said. "Next 48 hours, we've got to see that he takes care of that."

Munnerlyn has depth behind him, with Carlos Thomas and Stoney Woodson manning the other corner spots and Addison Williams ready to come in. Freshman free safety Akeem Auguste can also rotate in, although the more complex a defensive scheme is, the more trouble Auguste's going to have with it.

"Akeem could still go back to corner but a little bit about Akeem, is when you start working two or three different coverages, check this, check that, he really doesn't have too many reps," Johnson said. "Physically, we'd probably miss Akeem at corner right now but we can't afford to move him back."

LSU took immediate advantage of Munnerlyn's trips to the locker room two weeks ago, going to his replacements' men for first downs. That and six sacks allowed by the Gamecocks were the turning points in a 24-17 Tigers win.

As long as Munnerlyn remains hydrated, there should be no problem. And Tennessee's not winging the ball as well as it did last year.

"There's a lot of stuff they're running that is the same," Johnson said. "The biggest thing is I don't see the biggest variation of formations and things. When they had (Erik) Ainge, they spread it out a lot more. Same receivers are back, pretty much. You got a young quarterback, there's only so much he can do. But other than that, it's vintage Tennessee."

INJURIES: The only other bang-up mentioned was to left guard Jamon Meredith. Spurrier said Meredith could play if two or three guys in front of him go down, but it would be an emergency type of situation. Terrence Campbell and Lemuel Jeanpierre should start at guard against Tennessee.

Johnson said defensive tackle Marque Hall, who's been fighting a lingering knee injury, could get a few snaps.

c.gif

<!-- no ad here-->

Back