Tennessee @ Florida

dclark

Pretty much a regular
This game to me doesn't make sense!!!!!! How is anyone justifing a 8 point line for Florida. Florida has beaten Western Kentucky and Troy, neither are worthy SEC foes. Tennessee on the other hand has faced California and Southern Mississippi. Yes Tennessee does have problems, however, Florida only has two players returning from their Defense. Ainge has looked sharp against California and Southern Mississippi. Troy managed to pass for 264 yard against Florida last week and put up 31 points. People this is the SEC, where teams and rivals get up for one another, I just feel 8 points is too many in this spot. If either team wins it will go down to a field goal. Lets not forget, last year TN was ahead with 10 minutes to go in the game. That is just my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

:tiphat:

The points are beyond inviting IMO..

The injuries to FLA's skill position players are abundant and Tennessee if nothing else put pts on the board vs almost anybody.

i just watched the press conference from phillip fulmer (UT head coach). It appeared as if they already lost. I mean he was like "well florida is a tough team and they'll beat us on the ground or the air." i expected something along the lines of florida will be tough be we have some atheltes on both sides of the ball as well.

I think that UT will be playing their safties deep to handle those 3 or 4 speedy WR's that UF has. With that in mind i believe tebow will have a huge game rushing as it is going to provide large rushing lanes for tebow to exploit.

Good thread by the way, i love talking football.

Tenn. will have a hard time keeping up with Florida.
This is one of my plays of the week along with Oregon.
I like both these games ...BIG:smiley_acbe:

Tenn. is hurting in the secondary and inexperienced at WR.
Florida can keep Tenn. in check but Tenn. will have problems stopping Florida.:whip:

Urban Meyer in the Swamp is flawless. I watched Tenn. falter late againsty Cal. with all their possessions in the 4th qtr. being 3 and out.:bong::spank:

Tebow and Harvin lead Florida to at least a 2 touchdown win.:cheers:

You bet both these games big and it's off to the :smiley_acac::13_4_10:

cal went up and down the field like it was a fucking track meet. agree with etg about the defensive units being worse. in the swamp, fat ass fulmer, ainge and his finger, national spot light and a little something to prove, florida gets up in that ass boys and girls. imo (10-14+ point win)

Great week last week BDB, however I am on the other side of the fence on this one. This game should not be decided by less than a TD. As inexperienced as UT's wideouts may be, Florida's secondary will be hurting just as bad. If you ask me these two teams are very similar in that They have very skilled, balanced offenses with mediocre to sub-par defenses. This game will go to whichever team gets the breaks, and will be back and forth allllllll day. It doesnt matter how inexperience your WR's are when you have a guy like ainge puttin it on their numbers 70% of the time, these guys are DI wideouts for an SEC school... they are no slouches... This is a huge game that will make Tennessee's season if they win, they will be ready. I cant believe this is 2 weeks in a row that i am standing up for one of my most hated teams, but they are not getting the respect they deserve by the line makers. I have cashed on their games the first 2 weeks and will likely take the points for a unit and the ML for half a unit by saturday. Will update my thread when/ if i do...

Pokey - a little confused as to who you are backing here? by your write-up i assumed it was tn until you said that "I have cashed on their games the first 2 weeks and will likely take the points for a unit and the ML for half a unit by saturday"...tn wasn't even close to covering against cal week 1? florida has covered both, is this who you mean?

When I said I have cashed on their games in the first 2 weeks, I am referring to Tennessee. I was against them @ Cal, and on them vs. Southern Miss, therefore cashing both of their games. Sorry for the confusion. I feel like I have a pretty good read on what kind of team Tennessee has this year. I hate them with a passion but I do like the fact that they are the team I expected them to be this year. I am not big on Florida at all this year either. This is going to be Tebow's first big game as a starter, and the first real test for Florida's defense. Caldwell is out and there will be alot attention paid to Harvin by UT's defense (obviously). The Over will be by far the best play in this one, but i think TN covers too, with a decent shot at the ML.

Florida always, always, gets up for Tenn. And in the swamp? Fogetaboutit ! Tenn wont keep up. :smiley_acbe:
Tennessee has beaten UF two out of the last three at the Library, with the only loss being that farce of a 05 team. Urban is due for a loss at home, he isn't going unscathed at home this season. With his young defense facing a senior QB with a good enough running game I see UT putting up lots of points in this game.

I don't understand why people are giving UF so much love on the spread. ML sure, but the spread? Lest we not forget the Gators were hardly blowing teams out last season. Every major SEC game was close and I don't see one compelling reason to believe this game is any different.
VOLS +8= money;

Lest we not forget the Gators were hardly blowing teams out last season. Every major SEC game was close and I don't see one compelling reason to believe this game is any different.
VOLS +8= money;

Lest we not forget the schedule Florida played last year ! Toughest in the country :tiphat:

Pokey..
I cashed on Tenn. last week as well although it was a sweat. The struggled with Southern Miss. for 3 qtrs.:prayer

I'm not sold on the Vols. :down2:

I see Urban Meyer making a statement this week and taking Tenn. out to the woodshed.:whip:

Tebow and Harvin are too much in the end and Florida wins by at least 2 touchdowns..:cheers:

I'm staying away because I really have no feel for UF's young defense or how Tebow will play in his first real start, but I will tell you Tennessee has won outright as road underdogs numerous times the past 4 years.

2003-at UF 24-10
2003-at Miami, Fla. 10-6
2004-at Georgia 19-14
2005-at LSU 30-27
2006-at Georgia 51-33

Eight points is a lot in any SEC game. Much less a team like Tennessee that continually plays better on the road than at home and when they are an underdog they win outright a lot times. UF has a lot of talent, but its young talent and Ainge is playing as good as any QB in the country right now. OC Cutcliffe said he is playing as well as Peyton was in his senior year. I defintely would take the points in this win if I was betting, but it is the swamp and if UT gets down early it could get ugly with this defense so I'm just going to set back and enjoy this one as a fan.

If Ainge is playing as well as Peyton did his senior year...then that just put me on FL even more. Peyton never beat FL, as we all know, and w/ FL having more talent (young talent i know) i think FL wins this by 14+. And come on Ainge couldn't hold Peyton's jock strap...even in college. I know FL gave up 31 to Troy. But they were 7 for 7 w/ 7 TD's in the first half and Troy only got "back in the game" in the 2nd half when Meyer had pulled some starters, and some were out w/ injury. He put Tebow back in the 4th and he lead them on another TD drive...which he should have. I'm a bit of a homer living an hr away from Gville...but i still think FL has something to prove and who better to prove it on than the Vols??!!

If Ainge is playing as well as Peyton did his senior year...then that just put me on FL even more. Peyton never beat FL, as we all know, and w/ FL having more talent (young talent i know) i think FL wins this by 14+. And come on Ainge couldn't hold Peyton's jock strap...even in college. I know FL gave up 31 to Troy. But they were 7 for 7 w/ 7 TD's in the first half and Troy only got "back in the game" in the 2nd half when Meyer had pulled some starters, and some were out w/ injury. He put Tebow back in the 4th and he lead them on another TD drive...which he should have. I'm a bit of a homer living an hr away from Gville...but i still think FL has something to prove and who better to prove it on than the Vols??!!
Everyone knows Ainge isnnt anything close to Peyton's level, just pointing how well he is playing right now. So I used Cut's comments to reaffirm that. Most of UF's starters where in when Troy went on that scoring binge in the 3rd quarter or at least their guys that are battling their starters because they really don't know who to start in a lot of places on D. Either way I see UF winning 33-31.

Yeah Ainge went 3-9 for 8 yards in the 4th qtr. against Cal. which cost them the game.:animated-Dead12:
Tenn. went 3 and out on all their possessions in the 4th. qtr against Cal.
Ainge is playing good......:down2:

Florida by more than 2 touchdowns...:smiley_acak:

Yeah Ainge went 3-9 for 8 yards in the 4th qtr. against Cal. which cost them the game.:animated-Dead12:
Tenn. went 3 and out on all their possessions in the 4th. qtr against Cal.
Ainge is playing good......:down2:

Florida by more than 2 touchdowns...:smiley_acak:

Couldn't of been that 200+ rushing yards or 45 points that cost them the game?

Ur right O & W, the rushing yards hurt but they scored the 45 pts on Ainges inability to move the offensive. I think it will be back in forth for 2..2.5 quarters but after that it's F-L-O-R-I-D-A. LOL, but that's one thing i like about SEC football..you never know.

I'm absolutely astonished by the people thinking UF dominates this game or think they have more to prove. UF dominated no SEC games last year and lost that defense which gave them a good chance to do just that. Of course UF fans in their natural overzealous manner believe their defense is as good because they beat Western Kentucky and Troy.:36_11_6:

Bringing up Peyton Manning(as if this has anything to do with this Saturday) is ridiculous. Sure Cal won the game over Tennessee, but Florida doesn't have their running game or their receivers.

It's a 50/50 game and I can't predict a winner but give me those 8 points and the over all day long.

I'm absolutely astonished by the people thinking UF dominates this game or think they have more to prove. UF dominated no SEC games last year .

Ya think ?

2006​
Urban Meyer

National Champions
SEC Champions​
9/2 Southern Miss. (Gainesville) (7/NR) . . . . . . . . W 34-7
9/9 UCF (Gainesville) (7/NR) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . W 42-0
9/16 Tennessee (Knoxville) (7/13) CBS (N) . . . . . . W 21-20
9/23 Kentucky (Gainesville) (5/NR) ESPN (N) . . . . W 26-7
9/30 Alabama (Gainesville) (5/NR) CBS (N) . . . . . . W 28-13
10/7 LSU (Gainesville) (5/9) CBS (N) . . . . . . . . . . W 23-10
10/14 Auburn (Auburn) (2/11) ESPN (N) . . . . . . . . . L 27-17
10/28 Georgia (Jacksonville) (9/25) CBS (N) . . . . . . W 21-14
11/4 Vanderbilt (Nashville) (7/NR) LF (R) . . . . . . . . W 25-19
11/11 South Carolina (Gainesville) (6/NR) CBS (N) . W 17-16
11/18 Western Carolina (Gainesville) (3/NR) . . . . . . . W 62-0
11/25 Florida State (Tallahassee) (4/NR) ABC (N) . . W 21-14
12/2 Arkansas (Atlanta) (4/8) CBS (N) . . . . . . . . . . W 38-28
1/8 Ohio State (Glendale) (2/1) FOX (N) . . . . . . . W 41-14
G W L T PT OP​
13 12 1 0 416 189

That Ohio State looks like total domination to me :36_11_6:

I said SEC games. If I'm using the recent past to evaluate performance then I'll put more stock into regular season conference games than bowl games any day of the week especially when the game in question is a regular season conference game.

the sec games played in gainsville last year, they won 3 of 4 by double digits:)

and the spread is................................

the sec games played in gainsville last year, they won 3 of 4 by double digits:)

and the spread is................................

How lucky were they to win the LSU and Bama games by double digits? If you watched those games you know they were not two touchdown type games. Hell, even the UK game was much closer than that score indicated. UF is going to be great, but they have so many young guys playing right now and this is most of these guys first big game getting the majority of the snaps. Not to mention they lost Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas, Reggie Nelson, and Brandon Siler from last year against UT along with 4 other defensive starters. I said early I'm not betting on it because I really have no idea how good UF is. I feel like I know UT is 17-22 type team right now. If UF really is a top 5 team then they will probably cover, but how can anyone really say they know what to expect out of the Gators this weekend? All I'm saying is 8 points is a lot for a Big SEC rivalry game when one team returns 2 starters from their bad ass defense the year before. Not disagreeing whith anything you guys are saying besides that Ainge isn't playing well. I'm not even going to respond to someone saying that.

to me it's quite simple. i keep looking back at the cal game, similar situation (big game- ranked teams, on the road, crazy environment, etc) and what happened? i don't buy into this "young player" bullshit that everyone keeps talking about either, never have. some of the best players in the country are "young players", miami went through the re-loading phase for years (98-02) and were always playing very well with "young players". if they are starting, there is a reason, they are the best players in that respective position.

<TABLE class=show_design_border cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
Everybody makes good valid points, here's something else to chew on.

Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer relishes the ebbs and flows of a football game. Especially during “Showdown Saturdays” like the upcoming duel with defending national champion Florida.

“It’s one of the game maxims that if things don’t go your way, put on more steam,’” Fulmer said after the Vols practiced for nearly two hours Wednesday at Haslam Field. “You expect noise; you expect the hostility -- that’s part of the fun of being there.

“That’s why you come to Tennessee or go to Florida, go or Georgia or LSU; to play in these kinds of games. It shouldn’t be intimidating; it should be fun to be a part of it. That’s the approach we’ve always taken.”

Although the Vols fell short two weeks ago at California, Tennessee’s away record under Fulmer is unmatched in the Southeastern Conference. UT sports a 46-14 (.767) league road mark since divisional play began and enters Saturday’s clash at Florida having won twice in the last three matchups at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

“It’s about as high as you can get when things are going great, when you get a big win,” Fulmer said, “and about as low as it can be if you don’t win until you get back out on the practice field and start to work again.
“During the course of a ballgame, you kind of have to stay smooth and calm and know there is going to be another upside.”

Tennessee’s recent margins with the Gators -- a 3-3 split over the last six in which UT has won by 2, lost by 17, won by 14, won by 2, lost by 9 and lost last season by 1 -- foreshadow another tightrope finish Saturday.​

DCLARK,

Dont let Homer talk you into this one, UT has been pretty bad in the secondary, and i dont think they have a answer for Tebo. I m just not ready to put my $$ on Ainge in a big game. I agree with the poster who said the ^ is the way too go.:cheers:

Catsfan,

Maybe going opposite from you, really don't like the over in this one, the series history would favor the under 12-4-1 since they started playing each other every year.

:cheers:

Now i see why you loose so much.:36_11_6: You do realize Florida gave up 30 points last week too who ?? The defense of these 2 teams are no where close too the previous ones.

Trends like that are garbage, everyone knows that neither one of these teams are as good defensively this season as they have historically been. Sometimes I think people look way too deep into games, and forget to see the obvious. Exhibit A: Look on the surface of this one DClark, you are a UT fan, you should know what kind of Defense you guys had last year, and that this year, it is even worse. Florida's offense is just as capable as Cal's except it is less predictable. Exhibit B: Also, Florida lost a TON of defensive starters last year, half of whom are in the NFL. You don't lose that kind of talent and get better on the defensive side. Exhibit C: You should also note that Ainge is playing great right now. With the Gators' struggles in the secondary, on top of the fact that they just gave up 30 to Troy, you have to expect some points being scored in this one.

Knowing this, how can you feel like the UNDER is a safer play than the OVER? I'm not disagreeing with your decision, i just want some rationale'. This is a rivalry game, and you never know when a defensive coordinator has the right gameplan or not. This game could very well go UNDER, but it just doesnt seem like the safest play IMO. However, I do know that I have tendancies to bet on games solely with a gut feeling, and they do seemingly work out more times than not. And when you bet it, you should bet what you feel comfortable with. I'm not gonna call anyone out on making a dumb bet, there really arent dumb bets (well there are, but, they usually arent considered dumb until it doesnt hit). I do disagree with betting games solely on trends if you have other useful information that should be considered. Thats all. BOL with whatever you play

I remember this..Florida 49 Troy 7 at halftime.
You want to know what the Gators was thinking in the 2nd half..:smiley_acak:

Tenn. is not only inexperienced in the secondary but at WR as well.
I'm not sold on Ainge in big games. I watched him wilt in the 4th Qtr. against Cal. When Tenn. defense needed a breather in the 4th Qtr. he went 3 and out on all their possessions.:hang:

I see Florida stopping Tenn. offense long before Tenn. can slow down Florida.
I think Tebow and Harvin are the difference.
Florida by more than 2 touchdowns.:36_1_12:

Trends like that are garbage, everyone knows that neither one of these teams are as good defensively this season as they have historically been. Sometimes I think people look way too deep into games, and forget to see the obvious. Exhibit A: Look on the surface of this one DClark, you are a UT fan, you should know what kind of Defense you guys had last year, and that this year, it is even worse. Florida's offense is just as capable as Cal's except it is less predictable. Exhibit B: Also, Florida lost a TON of defensive starters last year, half of whom are in the NFL. You don't lose that kind of talent and get better on the defensive side. Exhibit C: You should also note that Ainge is playing great right now. With the Gators' struggles in the secondary, on top of the fact that they just gave up 30 to Troy, you have to expect some points being scored in this one.

Knowing this, how can you feel like the UNDER is a safer play than the OVER? I'm not disagreeing with your decision, i just want some rationale'. This is a rivalry game, and you never know when a defensive coordinator has the right gameplan or not. This game could very well go UNDER, but it just doesnt seem like the safest play IMO. However, I do know that I have tendancies to bet on games solely with a gut feeling, and they do seemingly work out more times than not. And when you bet it, you should bet what you feel comfortable with. I'm not gonna call anyone out on making a dumb bet, there really arent dumb bets (well there are, but, they usually arent considered dumb until it doesnt hit). I do disagree with betting games solely on trends if you have other useful information that should be considered. Thats all. BOL with whatever you play

You have to understand the number Pokey...w/out looking it up, I can be sure that most of those under results were totals around 42-45...

nothing close to a 57...

The number has been adjusted for the defenses.

I agree, the number has been adjusted nicely, and is about right at 57. I just feel like both of these teams will manage atleast 4 TD's apiece and the game will end up around 31-28 at worst in either teams favor.

Yea, this definitely seems like the game where FL comes down to earth, Tebow is probably the most overrated player in the nation. Let's see how he does against an SEC defense, albeit a week one. Just the fact that this is a huge rivalry should make the line at most 6, I'm shocked we're getting more than a TD.

That is exactly what i was saying, just not in so many words.

ATlbandwagon, Tebow played against SEC d's last year, and he is not that over rated and i hate Florida.

I've enjoyed reading everbody's comments on this big game Saturday. I also would like to point out that everybody that has read my thread over the years know that I am not bias when it comes to TN football, I call it like it is GOOD or BAD.

My key in thinking the under is going to cover is: This is SEC football not the PAC 10 and 57-58 points is way too many. Yes both teams have problems on Defense, however I don't believe Florida has been tested yet. Lets go back to the opening week, Georgia played Oklahoma State and South Carolina played Louisiana Lafeyette. Both teams won their game outright. The following week South Carolina went to between the hedges and was underdogs by +3.5. They won outright 16-12, I am sure the line for o/u was more than 28. I don't feel neither team is great teams, however this is SEC Football where every team gets quality athletes. I feel that both TN and Florida right now are nervous as hell and you couldn't shove a safety pin up the rears about now. Both teams are young and they have never played under this kind of pressure before. Right now this is the biggest game in the Conference, the loser probably will not have a shot at the EAST Conference Championship. Folks in the SEC this means alot. This game will be played more conservative for both teams, they will play not to loose. I also think that Tebow however played some last year, he was not ask to do alot, except RUN. Now he is in the fire and has to be prepared each week and up till now he has not seen SPEED until he gets in Conference play. Now if everybody thinks that Western KY and Troy is in the same league as the SEC, they are very SADLY mistaken and obivious does not know much about the sport.

GL to all we will all find out.

ps: Look at last nights game the o/u total wil 61. It didn't even come close, why, its a Conference Game, that's why. West Virginia has probably more speed in the Country than anybody. However they only managed 31 points. Maryland's D came to play, even though they didn't get the job done.

dclark,

Nobody said WKU and Troy was SEC caliber. But dont you think if Troy can score 30 on Florida Tenn could probably score at least 20-25 ??? Unless of course you dont think Tennesse is Troy caliber. I do know a good deal about the sport and what i know is this; neither fucking Defense is as good as normal, which leads to more points. What fucking Troy, WKU, Cal or who ever played last week has nothing to do with this week. Its as simple as this, both offenses are as good as past, both defenses are not.

I sure as fuck hope not, i hope they play to win instead of not too lose. I have never heard of a top team playing "not to lose" ???? What the fuck is that ? Are you sure you really want to bet this game ????:hang:

This game to me doesn't make sense!!!!!! How is anyone justifing a 8 point line for Florida. Florida has beaten Western Kentucky and Troy, neither are worthy SEC foes. Tennessee on the other hand has faced California and Southern Mississippi. Yes Tennessee does have problems, however, Florida only has two players returning from their Defense. Ainge has looked sharp against California and Southern Mississippi. Troy managed to pass for 264 yard against Florida last week and put up 31 points. People this is the SEC, where teams and rivals get up for one another, I just feel 8 points is too many in this spot. If either team wins it will go down to a field goal. Lets not forget, last year TN was ahead with 10 minutes to go in the game. That is just my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

I am so much on this with you. Exactly my thoughts! (2 returning on defense) Vols never trail...

Back