Tell Me Where I'm Wrong--SEC Initial Power Rankings

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Let me know your thoughts. I'll add in my season forecast later.

Florida
2007 Closing PR: 98
2008 Pre-Season PR: 100

Returning 16 starters, a Heisman winning QB, and 52 lettermen (24, 26, 2). Only significant loss on offense over offseason has been TE Cornell Ingram who was a beast, but they bring in PS#1 Aaron Hernandez who played a bit last year. On defense they have been hit hard with losses at safety. They lost projected starting SS Dorian Munroe, backup SS John Curtis, backup FS Dee Finley, and backup FS Bryan Thomas is out but may return. Look for Will Hill to get significant playing time or movement from the corners to safety.

Projected outlook: On offense, I look for almost identical numbers to the stats they put up last year (42.5 ppg, 200 rypg, 5.3 ypc, 257 pypg). On defense, I'm looking for an improvement over last year's disappointing stats (projecting 19-20 ppg, 95-100 rypg, 3.0 ypc, 250 pypg allowed).

With the attrition at DB and the projected improvement in the run defense, I look for the defense to struggle against teams that pass significantly. Look for teams to test the pass D early and often until they prove themselves.

Georgia
2007 Closing PR: 97
2008 Pre-Season PR: 100

Returning 17 starters, a 2yr starting QB, and 45 lettermen (17, 25, 3). Discipline has been the enemy of UGA in the offseason with a number of early suspensions, particularly on defense. Only significant discipline loss has been Michael Lemon who was kicked off the team. On offense, projected starting RG Clint Boling has also been suspended for the first 2. FB Brennan Southerland is also questionable with an injury.

Offensively, I think the team is pretty much on par with their 2007 stats. The question to me is the inexperience on OL and whether they can step in and open the same or better holes for Moreno. Given the inexperience on OL, we may see higher passing stats (projected: 32.6 ppg, 162-177 rypg, 4.3-4.5 ypc, 200-225 pypg). On defense, I'm looking for significant improvement, particularly due to the increased experience at LB and DB. They also return their top 4 tacklers from last year (projected: 17.6 ppg, 100-110 rypg, 3.0 ypc, 170-190 pypg allowed).

The real enemy for UGA this year is its' schedule and if they struggle, it could have an effect on their psyche. Other than that, the only real question I see is on OL.

South Carolina
2007 Closing PR: 85
2008 Pre-Season PR: 90

Returns 17 starters, a QB with 6 starts over 2Ys (Smelley), and 54 lettermen (26,26,2). Steele is high on the Cocks but I can't help but think we're going to see the same trip this year that we've seen the last 2 (promising team that does well early, fades late, but has an upset or two along the way).

Only real offseason attrition seems to be backup DT Kenrick Ellis. QB Steven Garcia is back with the team but is probably still on Spurrier's shitlist.

Something has me calling them down a notch on offense. Maybe it's because, despite having the OBC, they have only added 3 ppg to their average over the last 2 years. This year, I actually think they will drop a bit on offense (projected: 24-26 ppg, 145-160 rypg, 4-4.2 ypc, 200-221 pypg) with an increased focus on the run behind a very experienced OL. The receiving corps looks very good but they need a QB to throw to them and Smelley sucks something awful. Again, the Cocks will have to rely on the defense to keep them in games and they return 10 starters, including their top 5 tacklers (projected: 21-23 ppg, 165-175 rypg, 4.1-4.3 ypc, 170-190 pypg allowed). If they can devote their LBs to stopping the run, they could improve even more.

Cocks bring in a new DC.

Tennessee
2007 Closing PR: 92
2008 Opening PR: 90

Vols return 14 starters, a new QB in Crompton, and 47 returning lettermen (21,22,4).

The Vols lost 2 backups over the offseason in backup WR Kenny O'Neal and backup OL Darrio Sawtelle.

Given that the Vols will be working Crompton in as QB, I look for more reliance on the run and the offensive numbers will drop (projected: 28-30 ppg, 150-185 rypg, 4.2 ypc, 200-233 pypg). Their strength is their OL and RB Aaron Foster. On defense, I'm looking for significant improvement over 2007 awful stats. They only return 2 of their top 5 tacklers (projected: 22.7-27 ppg, 135-165 rypg, 4 ypc, 216-240 pypg allowed).

Steele does point out some troubling issues with TOs and being outgained.

New OC in this year too.

Look for teams to test the QB and passing game by focusing on stopping the run. On defense, the weak link looks to be the LBs who are all very inexperienced.

Kentucky
2007 Closing PR: 87
2008 Pre-Season PR: 84

Kentucky is returning only 14 starters, lost their MVP QB and just recently lost their projected starter, but returns 57 lettermen (26,27,4).

Offseason losses have been heavy. They recently lost projected starting QB Curtis Pulley. Add in the loss of projected starting CB Paul Warford, and backup RG Josh Winchell and backup RT Phillip Hibbard.

UK was going to struggle on offense this year before the loss of Pulley. Now they have to struggle and get Hartline or Fidler ready. They also lost RB Rafael Little who really made the team go and also their top 2 WRs. This season could get ugly, particularly early [L-ville revenge in opener] (projected: 26-27 ppg, 150 rypg, 3.3-3.6 ypc, 200 pypg). The defense will need to keep them in games, and they return 8 including 4 of their top 5 tacklers. With the loss of Warford, the weak link on D appears to be the DBs (projected: 29-31 ppg, 174-190 rypg, 4.2-4.6 ypc, 190-205 pypg allowed). Unfortunately, with the offense struggling I just see too much pressure on the D.

Defensive focus against UK will be to take away the run game and force the young QBs to throw. On offense, they will be looking to throw at Warford's successor who will be green.

Vanderbilt
2007 Closing PR: 81
2008 Pre-season PR: 79

Returning a mere 9 starters, 2 QBs with starting experience, and 48 lettermen (22,23,3).

Only offseason loss has been an injury to WR George Smith.

Vandy is going to get crushed on offense. They lose their top rusher and their OL only returns 3 starts total. Too fuckin' green to make a difference here. Look for similar numbers to the last 5 years (projected: 19.5-21 ppg, 145-150 rypg, 3.5 ypc, 186-200 pypg). Defensively, they return 3 of their top 5 tacklers but lose their leader. The strength of the VU defense will be the DBs, but the front 7 is really questionable with serious losses on DL and LB (projected: 29-30 ppg, 156-170 rypg, 4.1-4.3 ypc, 200 pypg allowed).

Look for defenses to test the OL and take away the pass forcing the rush. On offense, teams will be looking for soft spots in the front 7, control the line, and then be opportunistic with passing.

Back later with the SEC West.

Can't really argue here. I do believe SC and Tenn are pretty even teams going into the season, also believe 1 of the 2 will beat either UGA/UF in conference.

One note about SC, Smelley was 4-2 as a starter but he is pretty far behind Tommy Beecher as the #2 QB. From the looks of spring practice-summer workouts-and now fall practice, Its Beecher.....................Smelley........Garcia and I would not be surprised to see Garcia take over the #2 spot really soon. Beecher has more mobility, stronger arm, been in system 1 year longer, and as a Gamecock central reporter puts it:

Heading into the spring, the Carolina coaches were looking for the quarterback who can best manage the offense, and Tommy Beecher proved to be the best candidate. Spurrier doesn’t expect Beecher to carry the team and win games single-handedly. What he wants is for him to consistently make good decisions, deliver the ball accurately and on time and not make unforced errors. Thus far in fall practice, Beecher is fitting the mold very well.

Smelley does not have the arm strength to make all the neccessary throws and he has a problem locking onto his WR's pre-snap and not going through his progressions, he is also the least mobile of the 3 and has the weakest arm.

I have the teams ranked the same way you do as in:

1)UF
2)UGA
3)SC/TENN
5)UK
6)Vandy

I believe for UGA, Southerland is out the 1st 3 games with the injury. I believe Boling's charges for DUI were dropped in his home town and he is fighting for a position on the OL, which I am in complete agreement with you that their OL which is talented but very young is the weak spot on offense and if you are going to get them, it might be in the first 3rd of the season when they have not jelled yet as a unit (SC/ASU) but that schedule is tough as nails. I'm not impressed with their WR's but AJ Greeen is too good to keep off the field and if they start getting him the ball he brings a big boost to them.

Last edited:
Similar to mine RJ. For the sake of discussion , i will mention the somewhat slight differences.

A few weeks ago, I had Florida and Georgia ranked as even but Florida has suffered some attrition in the spring/fall camps with the secondary losses and the TE loss. So initially, you must have had Florida slightly higher rated than i do. Georgia is my number 1 PR team right now.

I also have Tennessee and S carolina ranked about even but have them slightly higher power rated than you do. Would be 91.5/92 based on the 100 cap you have.

I also have both kentucky and vanderbilt rated lower.

Agree with everything in your writeups, and we order them almost exactly the same, other than me having georgia a half point better than florida.

Hard to squabble with the numbers too much.... just might want to look at vanderbilt as i have them at that 75 area. I mean , vanderbilt is sitting right near hawaii in my power ratings and florida is a 35 point favorite to hawaii ( 28 open ).

I think Kentucky should be about 2-3 points lower. SC and UT would both be around -6 or so at UK, and I think it would be a little crazy if UK was only +10 at Tennessee. Getting UF at -20 in the Swamp against the Cats seems tempting as well.

Nothing else that I disagree with, I would just put the Cats a little lower, unless you have higher expectations than some.

Thanks, ETG.

On to the West, and I'll be more brief. These things are taking too long and I can't keep up the pace for 114 more teams.

Auburn
2007 Closing PR: 91
2008 Pre-season PR: 94

Return 16 starters, new QB, new offensive system (although we got a preview), and 48 lettermen (23,20,5).

Lost projected starting CB Aairon Savage over the offseason.

Looking for HUGE offensive increase in production under new system. Only question mark is at QB with Burns but think he'll be ok (projected: 30-32 ppg, 180-200 rypg, 4.4 ypc, 180-210 pypg). Auburn returns 7 on D with 3 of their top 5 tacklers on a team with very even distribution. Question markes exist on the DL and DBs, and I would put the DBs as the biggest concern after losing Savage (projected: 14-16 ppg, 116-125 rypg, 3.3-3.6 ypc, 170-190 pypg allowed).

Gets new OC and DC, so there will be adjustments to new systems.

Against the offense, teams will attack the rush and option runs, forcing the pass and CBs will be on islands alot of the time. Against the D, teams will test both the run and the pass until they establish which is weaker. Think that they will pass and test Savage's replacement.

LSU
2007 Closing PR: 98
2008 Pre-season PR: 93

Returns 12 starters to the MNC team, lose their starter and projected starter at QB and rFr Lee is projected now to start. Return just 44 lettermen (22,19,3).

Offseason losses: Backup TE Jordon Corbin and RT Jarvis Jones.

LSU is stacked with talent, but the losses from the draft are heavy. The question is going to be how quickly they gel. They get an ok test in Week 2 against Troy, but really we shouldn't really have an idea about how good they are until Week 4 against Auburn.

On offense we have questions at RB and QB, but other than that, they look to return a solid receiving corp and OL. I look for a drop off from last year's great numbers (projected: 34 ppg, 200-225 rypg, 4.6-4.9 ypc, 200-225 pypg). The losses on the D ar heavier. They lose their top 3 tacklers including monster DL Dorsey. Talent is there, but experience may be lacking. The projected DB starters are all Fr. or So. with the exception of Sr. Curtis Taylor. Second biggest concern is the LBs, so pressure will be on the DL to take pressure off the back 7 (projected: 18-20 ppg, 90-100 rypg, 3.0-3.2 ypc, 175-190 pypg allowed).

DC Pellini moves on and new co-DCs were already in system.

Against offense, teams will take away the run and force passing. Against D, teams will test the back 7. Teams with spread attacks should have particularly good success (Florida, Auburn, Troy?).

Alabama
2007 Closing PR: 86
2008 Pre-Season PR: 90

Return 13 starters, a Sr. QB with 26 starts over 3 years, a coaching staff in the second year of their system changes, and 49 lettermen (23,23,3).

Offseason losses: Starting WLB Jimmy Johns, backup SLB Ezekial Knight, and backup CB Lionel Mitchell.

Saban is in the 2nd year of his changes, has some significant talent, and also may start playing some of his own recruits (Julio Jones?). I think the offensive output will remain pretty even compared to last year and the major question mark is the young, but talented receiving corps (projected: 27-29 ppg, 150-160 rypg, 4-4.4 ypc, 210-225 pypg). On D, they return 3 of their top 5 tacklers, but the biggest concern will be the LBs first and then the DBs. The DBs should do just fine, but they are going to need the young and inexperienced LBs to help out on pass coverage (projected: 22 ppg, 115-120 rypg, 3.1-3.3 ypc, 185-200 pypg allowed).

They bring in Fresno St's OC for their 3rd OC in 3 years.

Agains the offense, teams will test the new receivers early. If their inexperience shines through, they will focus on the run and maybe play a zone or Cover 1 against the receivers. Against the D, teams will be testing the LBs and DBs with short/intermediate passing. Key will be to take the LBs out of their comfort zones.

Ole Miss
2007 Closing PR: 82
2008 Pre-season PR: 85

I have to agree with Steele. This Ole Miss team, along with UNC, may be one of the two biggest surprises. I don't know if they will do much in the SEC but I like them in their non-confs.

Return 16 starters, bring in former UT QB Jevan Snead, new coaching staff with Houston Nutt, Orgeron brought in some talent, get stud DL Poe out of academic hell, and 48 lettermen (19,25,4).

I only have them at 85, but they may make it to 87 or 88 by the end of the year.

Nutt is a bastard of a coach (in a good way) and has alot to work with. He brings in a high power OC from the CFL and the DC from the Cocks.

Offensively, numbers will improve greatly. Question in my mind is the young, but talented running game. Snead will do fine and they do have to replace their center and learn new schemes (projected: 24 ppg, 130-150 rypg, 4-4.2 ypc, 214-235 pypg). On D, they return their top 14 tacklers! Add in Jerrell Powe on DT and numbers should improve greatly (projected: 23-25 ppg, 140-160 rypg, 4 ypc, 190-200 pypg allowed).

Offseason losses: Backup DE Chris Strong.

Against the offense, teams will test Snead and the receivers. I think that Snead will be successful, so teams will ultimately have to focus on the receivers and force Ole Miss to run. On the D, the team looks very even. No real standout weak spots. If I were to attack, I'd go after the DBs and hope that it opens up the run.

Mississippi St
2007 Closing PR: 84
2008 Pre-Season PR: 84

Return 14 starters, a QB with one year under his belt, and 47 lettermen (20,24,3). New DC was safeties coach last year.

No real offseason losses. DB Rashun Dixon did not qualify.

Offensively, the two concerns are the receivers and OL. The OL returns 2 starters, but they have to work in a new center and tackles. They also lose their #2 and #3 receivers. The strength of the offense is the running game, but this OL needs to step up (projected: 21.5-23 ppg, 135-160 rypg, 3.5 ypc, 190 pypg). On D, they return 8 including 4 of their top 5 tacklers. I look for improvement from the D, with the only question being the young DEs (projected: 22-23 ppg, 140-160 rypg, 3.7-4 ypc, 155-175 pypg).

Can the D put the pressure on the QB? Loss of 2 DEs, including their top 2 artists?

Against offense, sell out against run and test receivers. Against defense, test the DL--run to set up the pass.

Arkansas
2007 Closing PR: 93
2008 Pre-season PR: 85

Alot of bad signs for Arkansas this year. Switching coaches and schemes and going from a run attack to a passing offense that works in the run. Return 11 starters, a shitty QB with 22 starts over 3 years, and 44 lettermen (19,22,3).

Offseason losses: Starting SLB Freddie Fairchild. Others may be leaving here soon, though. Pay attention.

Offensive, production will be way down, particularly on the rush. Casey Dick is shitty and everyone is waiting for Mallett to get there. They lost their top 2 receivers, top 2 RBs. they do return 3 of their OL but must learn the new schemes (projected: 27-29 ppg, 220-230 rypg, 4.4-4.8 ypc, 180-200 pypg). Lots of pressure on the D who have now lost their top 7 tacklers with the loss of Fairchild. The main concern is that the back 7 is in bad shape. The DL could do a better job stopping the run but without the help from the back 7, I look for their stats to suffer too (projected: 24.5-26 ppg, 160-180 rypg, 4-4.5 ypc, 215-230 pypg allowed).

I don't think that Arkansas will finish in the West cellar. I think that honor will fall to Miss St. I think Petrino will slowly work his system in but recognized his strengths. I love Petrino and think he's an absolute bastard. He'll find ways to win and will even give Texas fits.

Against offense, teams will force Dick to throw until he can prove he can. Against the D, teams are going to pass to set up the run. That back 7 is going to get tested early and often.

I think Kentucky should be about 2-3 points lower. SC and UT would both be around -6 or so at UK, and I think it would be a little crazy if UK was only +10 at Tennessee. Getting UF at -20 in the Swamp against the Cats seems tempting as well.

Nothing else that I disagree with, I would just put the Cats a little lower, unless you have higher expectations than some.

Yeah, I think UK is going to have a very tough go of it and think they will lose their opener against L-ville.

I don't want to be too down on them too early, but they could dip well into the 70s very quickly.

As I mention, I have Ole Miss lower than where I think they could end up. I think that team has great potential, particularly as a dog.

If SC is anything over -3 @ Ole Miss than Ole Miss is the bet from my point of view right now in the summer. Looking at the 2 schedules, SC would be 5-0 or 4-1 while Ole Miss will be 3-2 or at best 4-1 but they do play @ UF and @ Bama between the home date with SC. I do think it is a scary game for us and I don't like it at all. They were tough at home last year and they upgraded their talent and coaching. Interesting story line is how good does Nix know what Spurrier wants to do on offense cause I'm sure Spurrier knows how to attack Nix's defenses. I am pretty high on Ole Miss this year and I agree with the rankings of the teams, I do think Arky is headed for last. I also think maybe LSU pulls out the West with some good QB play because they are so solid in the trenches.

Personally I think UT, LSU, and South Carolina a couple points better and Auburn, Alabama, and Kentucky are couple points worse. I don't know if Auburn has the personnel yet to run the spread and I worry about Burns ability to be an accurate passer in the spread plus they have already lost a starter from the one position they couldn't afford to, the secondary.

East:
If Tenn dropped two points for their losses, why would UK and Vandy not drop more than the three and two, respectively, that you have. I think UK is in for a hurting this season, and Vandy could very well go 0-8 in conference. It's not that I question your ratings, I just see a bigger magnitude of decline in UK and Vandy than I do in Tenn.

West:
My question to you, RJ, is the same question I have for everyone else: why is Auburn so improved over last year? Auburn will be contending with a new QB just like LSU. LSU has more talent and less coaching change. I agree that Auburn and LSU should be a coin flip in the West. LSU is the better team, but Auburn gets the better schedule. Besides the LSU/Auburn debate that has no clear answer, I like the ratings in the West. Bama at #3 by a sizeable margin, Ole Miss improved, Miss St flat, and Arkansas decline.

Also, referring to your LSU breakdown above, I assume the RB question you refer to is a matter of who will start? Because LSU has three able RBs to play every down if need be; Holiday and Ridley are just extra depth.

Good thread

Good Thread.....

As far as LSU running backs. LSU has never really had a shortage of RBs and also never had any "marquis" names as of late. Hester was a one star recruit. On paper, Hester actually dropped the teams paper recruiting class ranking. Their OL has two first rounders which is huge. On defense, Dorsey graduating is a non issue. He played hurt last year (because he was a senior). DL is stacked without Dorsey and 5 guys will play on Sunday. Teamwise, LSU has 3 weeks of warmups to get to Auburn. Auburn does have an easier schedule so it's critical for LSU to beat Auburn.

Georgia...... what concerns me most about Georgia is the loss of stud kicker Brandon Coutu. He started for 4 years. New kicker is a true Freshman. Kicking is "critical" in these tight SEC games.

At the end of the season, it will come down to managing injuries. The West has a much easier schedule and I see them getting to the SEC Championship game with fewer dings. My book does not have an West / East prop bet but I would guess it would be 4:1. I would be all over the West with those odds.

Arkansas is going to suck for obvious reasons.....

McFadden, Jones, Monk, Defense Gone.

Weak QB and new coach.

I can't think of one good thing they have going for them this year. They also have a tough schedule and I can even see them as winless in the SEC. O/H Prop bet right now is 5.5 games +120

Last edited:
Georgia...... what concerns me most about Georgia is the loss of stud kicker Brandon Coutu. He started for 4 years. New kicker is a true Freshman. Kicking is "critical" in these tight SEC games.

do you by any chance know who joebren is?

I looked up Joebren.... I see your point that he has capped game for weird reasons. Sounds strange but I certainly value kicking games in conference play and large games. Not just SEC, ask Florida State.

I'm no statmaster but I bet if there was a stat on teams that lost a stud kicker to the NFL and started a freshman, it would be interesting. Georgia Tech also lost a punter to the NFL. That really opens up their offense as well when they know they can punt it 60 yards.

:shake:

excellent point fried,,,,my fuckin noles have been fucked by the kicking game since the stone age:cheers:

I looked up Joebren.... I see your point that he has capped game for weird reasons. Sounds strange but I certainly value kicking games in conference play and large games. Not just SEC, ask Florida State.

I'm no statmaster but I bet if there was a stat on teams that lost a stud kicker to the NFL and started a freshman, it would be interesting. Georgia Tech also lost a punter to the NFL. That really opens up their offense as well when they know they can punt it 60 yards.

:shake:

Ironically, LSU won several games the year we won the 1st BCS national championship strictly because other kickers choked when it counted.
We joked that we had the best FG defense in the history of college football. AND if I remember correctly we beat Georgia in that same time period(+/- a year) because of.......YEP missed field goals.

I also agree that its really nuts that LSU is getting such little credit while we have been stacking depth since Miles arrived. What people fail to mention is Saban abandoned our OL as a recruiting need and went after skill position players. This was a short term boost to his coaching goals (i.e. going to NFL) but left us in a tight spot the past few years. Our line has been our weakness since Miles arrived on campus. This is the first year we have the depth and talent that at least equals our talent and depth across the board. So much is being made of our inexperience at QB but Miles has always been a run first coach even with our patchwork lines of the past. Side note - Lee has a hurt leg in some degree. Miles will keep it silent but we have a BIGGER QB issue today that we did last week. Anyway, our OL will be solid and we will run and chew clock behind a solid defense. Auburn needs to win without the assistance of the refs before I give them any credit.

Georgia
2007 Closing PR: 97
2008 Pre-Season PR: 100 [Edit: 98]

Returning 17 starters, a 2yr starting QB, and 45 lettermen (17, 25, 3). Discipline has been the enemy of UGA in the offseason with a number of early suspensions, particularly on defense. Only significant discipline loss has been Michael Lemon who was kicked off the team. On offense, projected starting RG Clint Boling has also been suspended for the first 2. FB Brennan Southerland is also questionable with an injury.

Offseason losses: Backup RB Xavier Avery, backup DL Toby Jackson, and starting LT Trinton Stourdivant.

Offensively, I think the team is pretty much on par with their 2007 stats. The question to me is the inexperience on OL and whether they can step in and open the same or better holes for Moreno. Given the inexperience on OL, we may see higher passing stats (projected: 32.6 ppg, 162-177 rypg, 4.3-4.5 ypc, 200-225 pypg). On defense, I'm looking for significant improvement, particularly due to the increased experience at LB and DB. They also return their top 4 tacklers from last year (projected: 17.6 ppg, 100-110 rypg, 3.0 ypc, 170-190 pypg allowed).

The real enemy for UGA this year is its' schedule and if they struggle, it could have an effect on their psyche. Other than that, the only real question I see is on OL.

The loss at LT is huge and will have ramifications early on.

I would watch the lines on Bama games this year they may surprise a few folks. I have a friend who is a starting DL (JR) there. He said Saban recruited great, focusing on key Defensive positions, to give the starters greater depth and rotation. He said they are fired up more this year. They actually didn't truely buy into his system until close to the end of last season, but are 100% behind it now. He believes they are going to be more physical up front this year due to the off-season program they are now doing. Saban has also tried to bring in guys that fit his defense system. He says JUCO transfer Terrence Cody is a monster but agile. He will most likely play at NT putting serious pressure up the middle. The guy is huge but agile enough that he can 360 slam dunk a basketball. I asked him if he thinks they can beat Clemson. He said, "if you asked me that last year I would have said not a chance, but this year I think we can. The team atmosphere and intensity is unreal compared to last year." They have also moved a quick WR to safety (played Safety in High School) I believe he is a sophmore or junior. On offense he says Julio is the real deal, even surprised him how good he is as a Freshman (image). There are still some questions but I believe they will be a surprise team in the west and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Last edited:
i didnt read the whole thread but i was wondering whats brandon warrens status on the Tenn team?

i didnt read the whole thread but i was wondering whats brandon warrens status on the Tenn team?

he has been cleared to play

August 18, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Warren Wins! Warren Wins! Warren Wins![/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Warren Wins! Warren Wins! Warren Wins! "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Warren Wins! Warren Wins! Warren Wins!"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Warren+Wins!+Warren+Wins!+Warren+Wins!+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>John Brice
VolQuest.com Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The General's Quarters

Phillip Fulmer now can test his decorating skills. At last, Brandon Warren has won his appeal with the NCAA and will be eligible to play when the Vols open their 2008 season Sept. 1 at UCLA.

"I just want to thank the coaching staff for going out on a limb for me and understanding the circumstances I have been in and obstacles I have had to go through," Warren said. "I also thank the university and the NCAA for giving me this chance."

Fulmer has joked throughout fall camp that once a decision on Warren's status was issued that he would hang a banner or paint a sign -- Fulmer stopped just short of saying he would write it in the sky -- on the outside of Tennessee's Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

<!--Start Warren Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/879/664485.jpg', '664485.jpg', 0, 326, 250, 1, 'After 18 months of waiting, Warren will play a competitive down of football again in 13 days.', '', 1219121540000, 'Warren', 879, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
664485.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>After 18 months of waiting, Warren will play a competitive down of football again in 13 days.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Warren Image-->Though more than a half-dozen sources indicated to VolQuest throughout Monday evening that Warren's chances were being viewed with considerable optimism, it wasn't until a final hurdle was cleared this morning that the former Alcoa Mr. Football winner was assured of continuing his career this season when the NCAA accepted his appeal. Once Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive declined to rule on Warren's case and passed it to the NCAA, UT delivered more than 100 pages supporting Warren's family hardship appeal. Early last week, NCAA officials requested more information, and Vols officials quickly obliged.

"I also appreciate the work of our compliance staff and the Southeastern Conference, and the wisdom of the NCAA staff of approving this for a quality young man," Fulmer said. "The whole system is about helping student-athletes be successful, and it's good to see they are making that happen."

Warren's journey to regain his eligibility has featured more hurdles than an Olympic race. Warren was not granted a release from his Letter of Intent with Florida State in 2007 once he left the school in February of that year to be with his ailing mother, Deirdre, who had a cancerous kidney removed. Subsequently, an FSU school committee rejected his appeal in the months immediately following his exit from Tallahassee. Even after Warren sat out the 2007-08 athletic year, FSU and Atlantic Coast Conference officials declined to grant Warren an unconditional release. Slive, mindful that an SEC institution could find itself in a similar situation, opted to pass the matter to an NCAA committee for review.

It appeared late last week that the NCAA would issue its decision regarding Warren's immediate eligibility, and when Friday passed, Vols coaches and Warren turned their attention to Monday. Sources indicated the decision almost came late Monday afternoon. One minor snag delayed a decision for which the 2006 Freshman All-America tight end at Florida State endured an 18-month absence from competitive football. Warren last appeared in the Seminoles' Emerald Bowl win Dec. 27, 2006, against UCLA, and his next appearance should come in 13 days when the Vols visit the Bruins in the Rose Bowl.

While sitting out the '07 season, Warren attended Pellissippi State Community College in west Knoxville. Solidifying his academic standing, Warren gained admission to the University of Tennessee in late-May.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound sophomore, who would have three years to play three seasons, has worked as one of Tennessee's starting tight ends throughout fall camp. His on-field presence helps alleviate concerns regarding the tight end spot for the Vols, although coaches clearly maintained a quiet confidence since his arrival on campus that he would be eligible to play. Once a position of supreme depth, coaches were beginning to pare down the offensive sets due to the uncertainty of Warren's appeal and lingering leg and back injuries to Jeff Cottam.

They're definitely down right now. I'm going to keep them at 100 right now though because the teams I have listed at 100 should be listed anywhere from 100-110.

Brandon Warren getting cleared to play is huge to UT. He had 27 catches and 4 TD's as a true freshman TE on a horrible offense. Many of my FSU buddies have told me he was the most talented offensive player on that team. Now if we could find a Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson somewhere.

Back