Teams who will NOT be playing starters week 18

Good point. Backups will or maybe will have their own special motivations, along the lines of wanting to prove themselves.

We see how seriously Harbaugh takes meaningless games in August over the years. Little different circumstance here but there's plenty of talent on that team, and it's Pittsburgh, and it's Pittsiburgh playing in Baltimore.

Watch Baltimore cover / win.

I’ve watched enough Pit/Balt games over the years to know it doesn’t matter who plays QB, etc. and who needs the game…these teams will give max effort. This will be far from a cakewalk for the Steelers. Baltimore has a chance to knock their rival out of the playoffs and avenge a loss from earlier in the season. FG game either way is my guess.

I’ve watched enough Pit/Balt games over the years to know it doesn’t matter who plays QB, etc. and who needs the game…these teams will give max effort. This will be far from a cakewalk for the Steelers. Baltimore has a chance to knock their rival out of the playoffs and avenge a loss from earlier in the season. FG game either way is my guess.
Bingo

We see how seriously Harbaugh takes meaningless games in August over the years. Little different circumstance here but there's plenty of talent on that team, and it's Pittsburgh, and it's Pittsiburgh playing in Baltimore.

Watch Baltimore cover / win.

But that’s usually him playing with his athletic mobile QBs vs third stringers and practice squad talents. It’s a great profitable recipe.

Here he’s missing every single weapon he has but with Huntley vs a thriving Pitt team. I think they’ll get up for the game but he doesn’t have the advantages like he does in the pre season. I live for NFLX. It all goes downhill after that!

There’s a lot of praise going around SF for the job Darnold has done as the backup. Trent Williams will start. I think they’ll get up early. McVay wants to get out of here while the 9ers need some sort of mini tune up as they won’t play real ball for another 2 weeks. You’ve seen how bad the Rams are when they don’t want to play - horrific preseason.

The underdog in this series is 19-2 the last 21 times that the spread was a FG or more.

But that’s usually him playing with his athletic mobile QBs vs third stringers and practice squad talents. It’s a great profitable recipe.

Here he’s missing every single weapon he has but with Huntley vs a thriving Pitt team. I think they’ll get up for the game but he doesn’t have the advantages like he does in the pre season. I live for NFLX. It all goes downhill after that!

I'll defer to you but I don't think Harbaugh was playing starters v. scrubs deep into games during that exhibition streak.

I'll defer to you but I don't think Harbaugh was playing starters v. scrubs deep into games during that exhibition streak.

He wasn’t but Harbaugh “scrubs” led by Tyrod Taylor is how these preseason gravy train started over 10 years ago.

It’s his 2s and 3s whooping on other teams 2 and 3s.

Think it’s a little different here vs starters playing for the playoffs.

Mainly QB's from VSIN

Pittsburgh Steelers (-4, 35) at Baltimore Ravens

This one will be Mason Rudolph vs. Tyler Huntley, as the Ravens sit likely NFL MVP Lamar Jackson to avoid injury heading into the postseason.

Expect the Ravens to sit additional starters, with Zay Flowers, Odell Beckham Jr., Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Hamilton, and Marlon Humphrey all missing practice on Wednesday. Others may be scratched as well.

Houston Texans (-1, 47.5) at Indianapolis Colts

One of the few games this week without a backup QB, as CJ Stroud and Gardner Minshew battle it out for a playoff spot and possibly the AFC South title.

Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals (-7, 37.5)

Recently-signed Jeff Driskel will attempt to be the fifth Browns QB to win a game this season. He gets the call over PJ Walker, who has been on the roster for most of the season. Expect several Browns to sit, including Myles Garrett, Amari Cooper, Denzel Ward, and many other starters.

The Bengals will go with Jake Browning once again in hopes of ending the season on a positive note after being eliminated from playoff contention last week.

Minnesota Vikings at Detroit Lions (-3, 45)

Nick Mullens replaced Jaren Hall at halftime of last week’s loss to the Packers and he’ll get the start here, as the Vikings have very, very slim playoff hopes.

The Lions will send out Jared Goff as they still have a chance at the No. 2 seed with a Cowboys loss. It wouldn’t be totally shocking if Goff was lifted for backup Teddy Bridgewater after getting some work in to stay sharp.

Jacksonville Jaguars (-5.5, 39.5) at Tennessee Titans

Jacksonville’s QB situation is still up in the air, as Trevor Lawrence is dealing with a sprained AC joint. If he can’t go, CJ Beathardwill get the call in a must-win game for the Jags.

The Titans may be forced to go with Ryan Tannehill because Will Levis is still dealing with a foot injury. He left last week’s game hurt and the Titans may opt not to put him at any risk here.

New York Jets at New England Patriots (-2, 30.5)

Zach Wilson has officially been ruled out for the Jets, so it will be Trevor Siemian as the team plays out the string on the season.

It is assumed that this will be Bill Belichick’s final game coaching the Patriots. Personally, I hope he leaves his trademark hoodie at the 50-yard-line the way a fighter leaving his gloves on the canvas after a retirement bout. Anyway, Bailey Zappe likely gets the start.

Atlanta Falcons at New Orleans Saints (-3, 42)

Taylor Heinicke was limited in practice on Wednesday with a bum ankle. If he can’t go, Desmond Ridder will go, in what could very well be the last game for head coach Arthur Smith, though the Falcons can still make the playoffs.

The Saints will roll with Derek Carr, as they have throughout the season. This is one of a handful of must-win games for both teams.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-4.5, 37.5) at Carolina Panthers

Baker Mayfield took a shot to the ribs last week, but he’s said to be good enough to go this week. He’s played through worse, I’m sure. The Bucs need a win, so Mayfield will be out there.

Bryce Young’s final start as a rookie comes here for the Panthers.

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers (-3, 44)

The Packers have a lot on the line here and the Bears have the chance to play spoiler, so we will see both Jordan Love and Justin Fields in this matchup with all hands on deck both ways.

Denver Broncos at Las Vegas Raiders (-3, 38)

Jarrett Stidham returns to Allegiant Stadium as he makes his second start as the Denver starter after Russell Wilson was benched due to a contract situation. The Raiders will ride with Aidan O’Connell as they try one more time to convince owner Mark Davis to keep interim head coach Antonio Pierce around.

Philadelphia Eagles (-5, 42) at New York Giants

Keep an eye on the live betting possibilities in this game. If the Cowboys get up early on the Commanders, the Eagles may err on the side of caution and sit Jalen Hurts down. Hurts will start no matter what, but the situation could be fluid during the game. DeVonta Smith has a sprained ankle and may not play.

The Giants will ride it out with Tyrod Taylor as they finish up a disappointing season.

Dallas Cowboys (-13, 46) at Washington Commanders

Dak Prescott will at least start this game, but if the Cowboys get up big, expect a Cooper Rush or Trey Lance appearance. Dallas needs a win to clinch the NFC East, but a game in hand may mean a Prescott on the bench.

Sam Howell gets the nod for the Commanders.

Seattle Seahawks (-2.5, 48.5) at Arizona Cardinals

It will be starters Geno Smith and Kyler Murray here. The Cardinals scored a stunning upset over the Eagles last week, so they’ll try to play spoiler and end on a high note against the Seahawks, who need a win and some help to get into the postseason.

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers (-3.5, 35)

The Chiefs are locked into the No. 3 seed, so they are going to rest key personnel. That includes Patrick Mahomes, who will don a headset and maybe hold a clipboard this week. Blaine Gabbert gets the start and is one of many backups who will feature prominently in this one. It will be Gabbert’s first start since 2018.

Travis Kelce needs 16 yards for his eighth straight 1,000-yard season, so we’ll see if the Chiefs put him at risk for that milestone.

The Chargers will ride with Easton Stick one final time. Will Grier is the backup.

Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers (-4, 41)

Sound the alarms! We have Carson Wentz vs. Sam Darnold in this one, as neither Matthew Stafford nor Brock Purdy will play. The Rams will also sit Kyren Williams, Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald, and Ernest Jones. Puka Nacua needs 29 yards to break the NFL rookie record for receiving yards, so they’ll likely try to get him that and then take him out if he gets 30+ yards.

Kyle Shanahan was somewhat coy about who would play and who wouldn’t outside of Purdy. That said, Christian McCaffrey and Arik Armstead are among those already ruled inactive due to injury.

Buffalo Bills (-3, 49.5) at Miami Dolphins

The winner claims the AFC East here, so both Josh Allen and Tua Tagovailoa will play. The Dolphins already have a playoff spot locked up, so if it gets ugly early, expect Mike McDaniel to pull the ripcord and sit everybody of consequence in hopes of being healthy for the Wild Card Round.

Back