TCU vs. Texas Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
TCU vs. Texas: NCAAF Week 5 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

TCU Horned Frogs vs. Texas Longhorns
Saturday, October 3, 2020 at Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium/Jamail Field.

History

The doubts that are directed against TCU’s defense emanate from specious logic.

Doubters say that we should worry about TCU’s defense because it surrendered 37 points last week to Iowa State.

They then try to substantiate their doubt by pointing to the defense’s offseason losses.

But they do not mention that the Frogs gave up even more points — 49 — last year to Iowa State.

So what we have here in their defense is not a problem generated by irreplaceable personnel losses, but rather a problem with Iowa State.

In contrast, Gary Patterson’s Horned Frogs love to play Texas tough.

They currently enjoy a 5-1 SU and ATS run against Texas and some of those wins and covers were even blowouts.

Moreover, I want to point out that we should still expect a lot from TCU’s defense.

Texas Pass Attack vs. TCU Pass Defense

Before I bet on a team that is heavily favored, I want to feel assured that it will comfortably move the ball downfield.

Despite their effort against Texas Tech — which almost had the country’s worst pass defense last year — Texas wide receivers still have a lot to prove.

During the offseason, Devin Duvernay and Collin Johnson departed. Duvernay was easily the most relied upon pass-catcher last year for Texas. He accrued 74 more receptions, 864 yards, and three more touchdowns than Texas’ leading returning receiver.

Johnson, too, was important as someone who has the fifth-most receptions in Longhorn history.

Texas’ group of young receivers will contend with a Horned Frog secondary that remains formidable.

For example, Noah Daniels proved a positive surprise against Iowa State as he ultimately compelled Brock Purdy to stop targeting the receiver that he was covering.

Fellow cornerback Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson appeared in every game last season and was typically listed as second on the depth chart at cornerback.

After becoming a rare starter as a true freshman in 2018, Keeyon Stewart promises to bounce back after injuries derailed his 2019 campaign.

Stewart was still a noticeable part of the effort that TCU produced last year in order to limit Longhorn quarterback Sam Ehlinger to his worst game of the season — in Texas’ 37-27 loss to TCU — as measured by his season-low in completion percentage and season-high in interceptions.

Based on the same criteria, Ehlinger’s toughest opponent in his career is arguably Gary Patterson’s TCU. In earlier years, Ehlinger even benefitted from having stud playmakers like the now departed Duvernay.

TCU Pass Attack vs. Texas Pass Defense

After ranking 125th in pass defense last year (barely better than Texas Tech) and giving up 331 passing yards plus five touchdowns to Red Raider quarterback Alan Bowman, Texas still looks vulnerable in its secondary, particularly at the cornerback position.

If TCU had started quarterback Max Duggan in the first half last week, then TCU may have won.

Duggan had his breakout performance last season against these Longhorns. In this game, he accrued 273 passing yards and two touchdowns to one interception while completing 70 percent of his passes.

Duggan is sort of like his counterpart Sam Ehlinger in that he will occasionally flex his dangerousness as a runner, outside of the pocket, and isn’t afraid to take hits.

More importantly, he showed in that Texas game his comfort in locating holes in coverage and his stellar accuracy downfield.

TCU enjoys a ton of returning options at wide receiver with which it can continue exploiting Texas’ cornerbacks.

As evidenced by their average YPC, many also showcase big-play ability that Duggan can underscore with his accurate deep ball.

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention Taye Barber leads TCU’s pass-catching corps currently. One strength of his is his body control and body adjustment at the point of attack.

The Verdict

Ehlinger does not possess the firepower either in himself or in his still-young receiving crew to navigate TCU’s underrated secondary. Gary Patterson’s defense will still give him nightmares.

One may suggest that Texas can lean on its running game. The biggest doubt that one can have in the Frogs’ defense is its run defense given its performance against Iowa State.

But again, Iowa State also ran well (189 yards on 5.1 YPC) against these Frogs last year while they ranked 38th nationally in run defense. The Frogs are not weak defensively. They are merely weak against the Cyclones, as history shows.

With multiple guys in the defensive line who possess All-Big 12 accolades and with nice depth in the form of multiple big guys in the interior, the Frogs’ run defense remains stable.

On the other side, Duggan is building off the chemistry that he already enjoys with a deep pass-catching crew. He is an accurate, big-armed, and otherwise dangerous weapon that Texas’ fragile cornerbacks won’t contain.

Best Bet: Horned Frogs +13 (-105) with Heritage

Good writeup. Patterson hates Texas almost as much as he did Briles and he's won 5 of the last 6 in the series. Pulls out all stops in these games.

Was hoping our coaches and players spent as much time working on football during the offseason as they did addressing social justice concerns. I think I know the answer.

Good get on the number buddy, I thought bout playing it early in week too but just didn’t like how obvious tcu felt to me, kinda expected it would come down cause how could anyone have laid 13 w Texas? I know that means I prob shoulda grabbed the number but it just feels like another one those popular sexy dogs I hate, much like uk last week. Don’t disagree with anything you saying, I think it all screams tcu will be close if not upset them, there nothing bout this version of Texas that seems any different than the last several that get hyped up, still don’t play good d, still don’t run it all that well, still incredibly reliant on that qb. To top it off as you said Patterson plays this team tough. That opening number just scared me off cause again, why?

Tcu isn’t nearly as overwhelming popular as I feared. I don’t pay much attention to those bet percentages but I’ve seen some of those showing 60/40 texas. I do pay closer attention to couple the bigger contest I play in and those are both about 60-40 tcu picks but not overwhelming amount of ppl on that game compared to say Auburn who I think has more ppl playing than any other team this week last I looked with very small percentage on Uga! Auburn looks like the trendiest dog of them all.

Bout 50-50 Memphis/smu which makes me happy since I played smu as my best bet way early in the week at +2.5, never really considered they would get popular seeing how Memphis ranked but think while there obviously a bunch of money coming on smu to flip that line I think it sharper money (or that what I’m telling myself anyways to feel better! Lol).

I know ya can’t tell here but I try not to get all that caught up in this shit but for some reason it bothered me this week with tcu who immediately jumped out to me. Most the time I just cap them and bet them but I do try to avoid overwhelming popular dogs! Totally agree with VC here tho, to me everything says tcu.

Patterson has always played this angle:

Oh, I don’t know. I’m not going to give any bulletin board material here,” Patterson said on the Big 12 coaches teleconference. “Our kids like playing against Texas. “Just got to be honest, a lot of kids, that’s where some of them when they’re growing up, they all wanted to go play,” he added. “And they didn’t get offers to go there. So they want to be able to show that they have the ability to play wherever they want to play.”

Our coach is head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to gimmicks and cute shtick - sledgehammers, gold teeth, baseball bats on the team bus, mouth kisses, a urine meter and on and on. Not to mention leading the country in social justice reform. Yay.

Unfortunately, we suck in player development, discipline, maturity, being buttoned up and anything else that equates to being a good football team.

Laughable.

Last edited:
Our coach is head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to gimmicks and cute shtick - sledgehammers, gold teeth, baseball bats on the team bus, mouth kisses, a urine meter and on and on. Not to mention leading the country in social justice reform. Yay.

Unfortunately, we suck in player development, discipline, maturity, being buttoned up and anything else that equates to being a good football team.

Laughable.

lmfao. Spit my beer out reading this!! Good stuff.

Back