#TankGate '18...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I think it might be able to help us all out if we kinda track these select 8 teams that will be tanking here for the last few months.

Currently after tonight:

Chicago 20-40
Brooklyn 20-41
Dallas 19-42
Memphis 18-41
Orlando 18-42
Sacramento 18-42
Atlanta 18-43
Phoenix 18-44

The Nets or Bulls had to win one tonight.

Dallas fought their asses off against an EC team looking for a top 4-5 seed in conference.

Phoenix made it respectable, as did Orlando.

Tanks teams 2-3 ats on Monday night.

Tanks teams games went 4-1 to the over on Monday night.

*For my own personal tracking, I will not be looking at games that involve two tanking teams, as of now.

NY, CHI, DAL, MEM, SAC, ORL, ATL and PHO.

8-team race.

Excluded Crooklyn. Their pick goes to the Cavs, no ?

Grizz in ultimate tank-mode, as is Phoenix.

I wasn't factoring in the traded draft picks yet but figured I should.

The Knicks are 4-6 games ahead of the field. Their only real competition for ping pong balls right now is the Lakers.

Now, they obviously are a decimated team with rag-tag lineups but I didn't want to totally include them in this category.

Once we get to late March and early April we will see some ridiculous spreads and epic tanking by the majority of this group.

Not saying tanking isn't smart but it was never how I was or would ever want to be wired as an athlete ... err "athlete". You are basically a professional loser at that point. I came up with a system last year or the year before that I thought would work to prevent this but which still have an advantage to the last place teams for the frozen envelopes. cough cough.

I don't know who believes in all the conspiracy theories surrounding the nba lottery, but if you believe in any of them then tanking would seem to not be a worthwhile endeavor.

One of the benefits EPL has with relegation

The Knicks are sitting a lot of their vets or playing them lesser minutes. You’re gonna see a lot of Mudiay, Ntilikina, Burke, Troy Williams, and guys like Hicks or Kornet (those two will prob alternate for a roster spot and G league spot since they are on the 2 way deals). Dotson will prob also get some run. The only vets who will get meaningful minutes are really Hardaway, Kanter, O’Quinn, Beasley, and maybe Lee, although I’d expect to see his minutes drop.

This can work one of two ways. The young guys ate hungry and have a lot to prove fighting for jobs for next year so they will compete, but at the same time there is little to no experience and the lack of a proven star so I expect a lot of mistakes and virtually no d resulting in a lot of overs imo.

Yes, the vaunted Stons with Blake now lost their probable pick to the Clippers. It's fine. We'd pass up a Spider Mitchell type as is...

Not saying tanking isn't smart but it was never how I was or would ever want to be wired as an athlete ... err "athlete". You are basically a professional loser at that point. I came up with a system last year or the year before that I thought would work to prevent this but which still have an advantage to the last place teams for the frozen envelopes. cough cough.

I don't know who believes in all the conspiracy theories surrounding the nba lottery, but if you believe in any of them then tanking would seem to not be a worthwhile endeavor.

One of the benefits EPL has with relegation

Athletes like money. How do they get more money? Individual performance more times than not. So... tanking season is also a great time to get 'yours' so-to-speak which correlates perfectly with losing basketball.

You know I believe in conspiracy theories. The frozen envelope is a real thing. The b2b ORL number one picks in the early 90's was blasphemy as well. I don't believe it happens all the time but it happens. I guess I'd look at this year as one to get another piece for the next 'superteam' or to get a big market a big player (Chicago?).

There are two ways to prevent tanking somewhat...

1. Give each team that misses the playoffs the exact same chance at the number 1 pick and so on. Literally out their names in a hat and pick 1-14.

2. In a radical way, they can give their ping-pong method a different variation and allot the teams that have the best records out of non-playoff squads the most lottery balls and go in descending order. This makes teams play to the very end of the season and can also allow teams that are on the cusp of the playoffs or making that next step to get a very good prospect. Meanwhile, if you suck, you suck. You need to be better across the board at coaching/drafting/free agency.

Lakers pick goes to the Sixers I think and the Pistons goes to the Flippers.

2018 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 2018 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) or to Boston (via Phoenix to Philadelphia) protected for selections 1 and 6-30; if this pick falls on any of its protected selections and is therefore retained by Philadelphia, then Boston will instead receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 (via Philadelphia) and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]; the 2019 pick conveyance is included in "2019 first round draft pick from Philadelphia or Sacramento" on Boston Incoming

7-1 to the over this week (this is more of what I'm tracking for myself). 2-5 ats this week (if removing Crooklyn).

Leaning over in Memphis. Wish I had bet it before the move. No problem Friday which is Suns hell. It will be mini as no one really knows who wins or what will happen

I am slowly refining this...

-Concentrating on the 7 teams (sans Brooklyn)
-Obviously if two play each other, then the ATS doesn't matter
-Focusing on over/unders overall
-Also focusing on the over/unders when 2 tankers play each other (including Brooklyn here).

Tankers are 4-5 ats this week

The over is a healthy 9-3 in Tankers games

Two Tankers colliding has resulted in 2-2 on the total.

OKC at Suns is a little confusing. Suns have been DEATH at home on Friday. OKC last 10 on Friday 2-8

Through Friday Night....

Tankers are 7-7 ats this week

The over is a healthy 12-6 in Tankers games

Two Tankers colliding has resulted in 2-3 on the total.

Through Friday Night....

Tankers are 7-7 ats this week

The over is a healthy 12-6 in Tankers games

Two Tankers colliding has resulted in 2-3 on the total.

Tankers are 9-13-2 ats since I started tracking

The over is now 15-13 overall

Tow Tankers colliding has resulted in 2-5 on totals

Tankers are 9-13-2 ats since I started tracking

The over is now 15-13 overall

Tow Tankers colliding has resulted in 2-5 on totals

10-15-2 ats

16-16 o/u

3-5 o/u

No real direct correlations. I guess fading tankers is 60% so that isn't too bad.

I was looking into the game at LCA tonight. With those 2 getting floor time, 3 posts up, and the stones heading out for six roadies and" PLAYOFFS !!" out of the picture I could not help but grab the 8 for Chicago. Lottery or not for Chicago. That Toronto game deflated the bullshit windbag sails Detroit was clinging too. I took the 8 and may play the Chicago ML. Thoughts?

Detroit sucks.

I think 3-11 ats since Blake came aboard.

That road trip should solidify the Clippers pick getting even higher now.

Crazy stat from @johnschuhmann: the Knicks have trailed for 93% of their post-break minutes. Second worst team is at 76%

Back