Talladega thread

daveniner

Pretty much a regular
I'm looking at qualifying matchups and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

J. Gordon -140
Johnson +115

Marlin -140
Yeley +115

Gilliland -140
Rudd +115

Ky. Busch -135
Kenseth +110

Truex +100
Newman -125

Stremme -125
Montoya +100

Riggs -145
Sorrenson +120

McMurray -130
Hamlin +105

I'm leaning Truex and Hamlin, but will have to look into it further.

not sure if I like either of them dave, maybe hamlin after looking at this years 500 in Feb. but seems too close to call. GL this week.

Do you think the COT will make this weekend different, compared to Daytona?

Thanks for the thoughts.

just checked racingone, doesn't say anything about the COT, that is the second dega race , not the first one.

Yeah, I realized that after I checked jayski.com. I got the ‘Dega races mixed up. I tried to post a reply and couldn’t get it to go through.

<O:p</O:p
Anyway, here’s some info from Daytona. I know it’s not Daytona and some drivers will not be racing the same cars, but it is a restrictor plate race.

So, here are some speeds and where the drivers would’ve qualified, if not for the format of the 500 and the running of the Duel 150’s.

Daytona qualifying results (not the starting lineup):

Gordon 8<SUP>th</SUP> at 185.079
Johnson 9<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.767

Marlin 10<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.945
Yeley 16<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.336

Gilliland 1<SUP>st</SUP> at 186.320
Rudd 2<SUP>nd</SUP> at 185.609

Ky. </ST1:pBusch 12<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.509
Kenseth 58<SUP>th</SUP> with no time (I think he had a flat tire)

Truex 19<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.139
Newman 26<SUP>th</SUP> at 183.602

Stremme 4<SUP>th</SUP> at 185.487
Montoya 6<SUP>th</SUP> at 185.338

Riggs 44<SUP>th</SUP> at 182.437
Sorenson 43<SUP>rd</SUP> at 182.559

McMurray 26<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.211
Hamlin 13<SUP>th</SUP> at 184.449

Last edited:
McMurray should be faster than Hamlin..

26 is running same car as last year in both races and qualified 8th in both races at Dega...that car seems to qualify better at Dega than Daytona..

Hamlin qualified 30th and 12...

Honestly Johnson is very good value, as the 24 hasn't qualified all that unreal at Dega...

Marlin should beat Yeley too...that 14 car has qualified very fast every plate track going back to last April..

This matchups are tight and the 38 should sit pole obviously...u know what u're gonna get..lol.

I'm laying off and waiting for the Busch race/cup Race matchups..

GL Dave...

That made the post look a little better. I don't know what font to use, when I copy and paste from a Word document.

Thanks for the thoughts, Jump. I know McMurray runs well, at the plate tracks. And, he's run pretty good all season. I was thinking that they are going to run the COT, this week. The Gibbs' teams (as well as the Hendrick teams) seem to have the new cars figured out. With the current cars, I will probably lay off that matchup.

I'm still looking for something to give me the confidence to pull the trigger on a matchup. Newman is normally such a great qualifier, that it's hard to go against him. But, the plate tracks are normally not good to him (mostly during the race).

I haven't played a qualifying matchup, yet, this season. And, I might just tail madshooter. He seems to have a good handle on qualifying.

I decided to take Kyle over Kenseth to win .5 unit.

I'm getting tired of giving my money back to the book, in the NBA playoffs.

Thanks, fondy.

So far, for a Busch matchup:

Wimmer -135 over Wood

To win 1 unit

I'm looking for more, but probably not for as much. Maybe a couple more matchups for .5 unit.

For some reason, they have new lines posted for qualifying matchups. I guess it's because it's an impound race.

I'm adding a qualifying matchup. I wish this would've been on the board, the first time they posted them.

Montoya -140 over Petty

To win .5 unit

Damn, I should've left well enough alone. Who would've thought that Petty would outqualify Montoya by 0.013 of a second.

I expected Petty to qualify around 30th, kind of like Labonte did. He ran an unexpectedly great qualifying lap.

To top it off, Gilliland ties Gordon's time to the thousandth of a second. So, the tie-breaker goes to Gordon (because he's higher in points).

Adding Busch matchups:

Sorrenson -115 over Labonte
Truex -145 over Bowyer

Both to win .5 unit

GLTA

Well, I bitch about losing money on the NBA and what happens? I had a good day there and went 0-3 on my Busch matchups.

I still think I would've went 2-1, without 2 of my matchups being taken out on the first wreck.

Cup matchups:

Kenseth -130 over Ky. Busch
McMurray -140 over Mears
Montoya -125 over Sorrenson
Bowyer +100 over Newman
Biffle -110 over Newman

Each to win .5 unit

I took a small chance on a top 3:

Gilliland +760 to win 1 unit

GLTA

Yeah. I should've known that the plate race would be like that.

They credited Gilliland with 4th, 1 spot short of my top 3 pick. Then, Stewart wants to run his trap and accuse Gilliland of intentionally dumping him.

I'm ready for Richmond. This past weekend was almost as bad as the nightmare I had, back at Bristol. I guess I have to take the bad with the good.

As far as Smoke, it was plain as day that they were done wrecking..went 50 yds going straight and Gilliland gasses it and turns him inside...it was way after the 38 and 26 pinched the 20 into the wall..that's what he was talking about..

Richmond should offer some good value I think...

Yeah, I knew what Smoke was talking about. I just don't think Gilliland would've dumped him, purposely. I could be wrong.

But, why take a chance of damaging the car that earned him his first top-10 and, now, his first top-5. They will definitely want to run "Big Bertha" at Daytona, in July.

I would like to hear David's explanation. He said, after the race, that he doesn't race that way. It's been reported that they had a discussion, after the race, and cleared everything up.

This is not directed at you, Jump. I just get frustrated that Tony preaches to everyone about "give and take." I didn't see any giving, in the Busch race. If he's going to preach it, he needs to practice it, as well.

:shake:

The discussion I heard about was they cleared the air after the Busch race...

I know what u mean about Tony...but I've seen a few times, inc from his rear in cam..and heard Harvick say that's what happened...

So I think that is what happened.

I was under the impression that they talked after the Cup race.

David may have been trying to show his "displeasure" with Tony. I don't know. I just don't think he meant to turn him into the wall. If he did it on purpose, I hope he learned something from it. I don't like to see that and NA$CAR will put a stop to it.

Maybe we will find out more, this week, from Richmond.

The story kept turning w/ the McMurray/Harvick spat under caution...

Happy is a very close friend of Smoke's and have a feeling was not happy about what he saw in front of him which is what cause the "tussle" between Happy and McMurray...

From what I've read, this looks to be another misunderstanding. McMurray was running out of gas and swerving back and forth. He got into Harvick and Harvick, thinking it was intentional, payed him back.

I think that drivers, in the heat of the moment, are very much on the edge (at the end of a race). The first reaction is "he just hit me" and not "why did he hit me."

There are going to be some very interesting interviews, when the activities get started, tomorrow.

Back