Taggart Sued By Former Players For Workouts

Nothing to do with this case but mise well shut down sports unless it is individual play.

This will create ripple effects.

I feel like theres a deeper abstract link to the motivation issues in bowl games. Guys are less willing to risk their bodies.

The College strength coaching profession is full of dumb aholes.

Almost every new head coach in college football announces "the players are not in shape and we are such great coaches we will institute a new culture."

It may be true now and then that players are not in shape, but no sport in existence--including NFL football--works their players as hard as college football so it's pretty rare.

So what the ahole strength coaches do is put the players through a bunch of drills they are not used to doing and then feel proud when the players throw up or, even worse, go to the hospital. Anyone who works out on a regular basis knows it's easy to exhaust an in-shape athlete by having them do drills they aren't used to doing.

And it's always coaches who are losers like Taggert and Mike Stoops who take it to the extreme.

Hope to see the lawyers crush Taggert and the strength coach in this case, but I doubt it goes to trial. Oregon has some smart guys in the athletic department and they know better than to risk going to trial in this case.

The College strength coaching profession is full of dumb aholes.

These types of generalizations do a real disservice to the college strength coaches who do a great job and care a lot about their athletes. As with all professions, there are those who do their jobs well and those who do their jobs poorly. And some who are able climb the ladder of success despite their incompetence.

But pushing an athlete into rhabdo isn't exactly a common occurrence and I know a bunch of strength coaches who were really bothered by this incident as it casts a horrible black eye on the profession and creates a lot of misconceptions.

That is not a generalization. College strength coaches lag behind almost every sport in understanding health and fitness. We all know how long it took football to even admit players needed water while working out. Even today, most strength coaches equate not drinking water with toughness. Every sport in the world understood that before football would admit it. Even after players died they refused to change.

The Maryland player who died was dehydrated among other problems. That happens on campus after campus every day and it is the strength coaches who run the drills.

And every strength coach in the country--at least at any major college program--even with all we know today about fitness, still forces O-linemen to add useless fat by being gluttons and lifting huge amounts of weights. Every cardiologist and fitness or health expert in the world knows this is a huge health risk and yet they all do it.

Even Alabama, which is usually ahead of the curve. You might have seen that ESPN story prior to the national title game where two Alabama O-Linemen told how they were ordered to eat three breakfasts, eat two other big meals, drink milk shakes all day, and order food in at night in order to hit weight goals set by the strength coach, even though most of the weight was in useless fat. And the players doing the talking had no idea they were doing harm to their bodies, they were just doing what the strength coach ordered them to do.

All division I football deaths this century--at least 23--have occurred during winter and summer drills, when the strength and conditioning coaches are running things. And that doesn't include the thousands of injuries and hospital visits during those same periods that do not result in death.

There has not been a single death this century during football games when the strength and conditioning coach has nothing to do with things.

At dozens of major programs, including at least one elite program with a good reputation, the strength coach was still forcing players to do duck walks as recently as two years ago, decades after orthopedic surgeons knew--and reported to the public--that it stretched knee ligaments and tendons and would permanently injure knees, and should not be allowed. I know because I worked with the law firm that started bringing law suits. Every school settled immediately as long as the outcome was confidential.

As for the claim that "rhabdo isn't exactly a common occurrence," the attached report shows that it happened to 48 athletes under the care of strength coaches during an 11 year period from 2007 through 2018. And that's just the cases the press found out about. The NCAA investigated and admitted that since players are pressured to keep quiet and coaching staffs and ADs and university suits do everything they can to keep cases from the public, the real number is probably 450 to 500.

And remember, this occurs at the direct order of the strength coaches. There has never been a case of rhabdo this century, in any sport, where the strength coach was not running the workout.

It's true strength coaches don't bear all the responsibility since, as at Maryland, they are hired specifically to try and humiliate the players in order to "make them tougher." Everyone in college sports knows there is a problem with the strength coaches, and it is not just football. It extends to any sport where strength coaches are allowed to conduct workouts.

The problem is so widely known and so severe the NCAA,--which I think we all know will sweep bad news under the rug if they can--has been forced to acknowledge the problem and is trying to find a solution:

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/the-breaking-point/

That is not a generalization. College strength coaches lag behind almost every sport in understanding health and fitness. We all know how long it took football to even admit players needed water while working out. Even today, most strength coaches equate not drinking water with toughness. Every sport in the world understood that before football would admit it. Even after players died they refused to change.

The Maryland player who died was dehydrated among other problems. That happens on campus after campus every day and it is the strength coaches who run the drills.

And every strength coach in the country--at least at any major college program--even with all we know today about fitness, still forces O-linemen to add useless fat by being gluttons and lifting huge amounts of weights. Every cardiologist and fitness or health expert in the world knows this is a huge health risk and yet they all do it.

Even Alabama, which is usually ahead of the curve. You might have seen that ESPN story prior to the national title game where two Alabama O-Linemen told how they were ordered to eat three breakfasts, eat two other big meals, drink milk shakes all day, and order food in at night in order to hit weight goals set by the strength coach, even though most of the weight was in useless fat. And the players doing the talking had no idea they were doing harm to their bodies, they were just doing what the strength coach ordered them to do.

All division I football deaths this century--at least 23--have occurred during winter and summer drills, when the strength and conditioning coaches are running things. And that doesn't include the thousands of injuries and hospital visits during those same periods that do not result in death.

There has not been a single death this century during football games when the strength and conditioning coach has nothing to do with things.

At dozens of major programs, including at least one elite program with a good reputation, the strength coach was still forcing players to do duck walks as recently as two years ago, decades after orthopedic surgeons knew--and reported to the public--that it stretched knee ligaments and tendons and would permanently injure knees, and should not be allowed. I know because I worked with the law firm that started bringing law suits. Every school settled immediately as long as the outcome was confidential.

As for the claim that "rhabdo isn't exactly a common occurrence," the attached report shows that it happened to 48 athletes under the care of strength coaches during an 11 year period from 2007 through 2018. And that's just the cases the press found out about. The NCAA investigated and admitted that since players are pressured to keep quiet and coaching staffs and ADs and university suits do everything they can to keep cases from the public, the real number is probably 450 to 500.

And remember, this occurs at the direct order of the strength coaches. There has never been a case of rhabdo this century, in any sport, where the strength coach was not running the workout.

It's true strength coaches don't bear all the responsibility since, as at Maryland, they are hired specifically to try and humiliate the players in order to "make them tougher." Everyone in college sports knows there is a problem with the strength coaches, and it is not just football. It extends to any sport where strength coaches are allowed to conduct workouts.

The problem is so widely known and so severe the NCAA,--which I think we all know will sweep bad news under the rug if they can--has been forced to acknowledge the problem and is trying to find a solution:

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/the-breaking-point/

I remember some of our defensive coaches telling us water is for pussies and we'd only get water breaks if we did such and such. Then when we did the water break was so short you did all you could to get as much from the 6 dirty ass water bottles that the warm water was in fighting between about 15 guys for a swig. Assholes! The one coach ended up getting paralyzed one night while out drunk driving. We were supposed to feel sorry for the dick head. I didn't.

I remember some of our defensive coaches telling us water is for pussies and we'd only get water breaks if we did such and such. Then when we did the water break was so short you did all you could to get as much from the 6 dirty ass water bottles that the warm water was in fighting between about 15 guys for a swig. Assholes! The one coach ended up getting paralyzed one night while out drunk driving. We were supposed to feel sorry for the dick head. I didn't.

Sounds like the sadist got a dose of karma

Ali, first you say "rhabdo isn't exactly a common occurrence," and I prove to you it is by posting a report from the NCAA in which they say it is so common they had to convene a panel to study it, but you don't understand it.

Then I post the fact all college coaches force their O-Linemen to be gluttons and eat terrible diets and tell you where to find the video of the Alabama linemen discussing it and you don't understand it.

You defended college strength and conditioning coaches. The NCAA report doesn't agree with you.

There is plenty of information in the NCAA report that explains why the schools have to come up with ways to deal with the many incompetent strength coaches who have presided over the death of numerous athletes.

You either comprehend it or you don't, and if you are still baffled don't waste your time asking me to explain it to you.

Ali, first you say "rhabdo isn't exactly a common occurrence," and I prove to you it is by posting a report from the NCAA in which they say it is so common they had to convene a panel to study it, but you don't understand it.

Then I post the fact all college coaches force their O-Linemen to be gluttons and eat terrible diets and tell you where to find the video of the Alabama linemen discussing it and you don't understand it.

You defended college strength and conditioning coaches. The NCAA report doesn't agree with you.

There is plenty of information in the NCAA report that explains why the schools have to come up with ways to deal with the many incompetent strength coaches who have presided over the death of numerous athletes.

You either comprehend it or you don't, and if you are still baffled don't waste your time asking me to explain it to you.

You struggle with what constitutes a fact. Which is pretty amazing coming from a self professed lawyer. You watch a youtube video on Alabama and then use that n=1 to extrapolate onto every other college strength program in America? And then pose that off as 'fact'. Uhh, ok.

Your posts are EXTREMELY long and filled with bizarre commentary that would suggest you have absolutely no experience on this topic at a professional or even recreational level. I could think of 5,000 things I'd rather do today than go line for line on this with some random on a gambling message board.

And I have no dog in this fight other than to say that your posts are strange and horribly misguided. I don't need nor do I want you explaining anything to me. My epic "defense" of the S&C profession was that "some do their jobs well and some don't". And I also referred to the Oregon coach as an asshat. I'm not expecting any kickbacks coming my way from the S&C PR dept anytime soon.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that Tahoe‘s logic and „factual“ understanding is based on wild speculation about insurance companies, overgeneralizations etc. I don‘t think he knows the difference bw inductive and deductive logic.

Hey I wish Sparty‘s o-line coach would get his guys to add fat lol! They‘ve been getting smaller!

Last edited:
Back