Syracuse vs Miami Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to incorporate as much analysis as I'm allowed.

Miami to Rock Emotional Syracuse Like a Hurricane

Coming off an upset win vs #2 Clemson, Syracuse (4-3) travels to #8 Miami (5-0) this Saturday at 3:30 PM ET. The Hurricanes opened as 14 point favorites, but that number has been bet up to 17.

Syracuse's offense revolves around dual-threat quarterback Eric Dungey, who is responsible for about 65% of Syracuse's offensive plays. He leads the Orange in passing and rushing yards.

Miami's defense is well-equipped to deal with a Syracuse offense that is constructed to give its quarterback pretty numbers by favoring tempo and quick passes out of the shotgun to a spread-out group of wide receivers. Miami's rush defense will allow them to focus on playing extensive pass coverage.

In their last 10 games, Miami is 4-0 ATS when allowing less than 100 rushing yards. Miami's defense ranks 50th in allowing 4.1 yards per carry, a number that is inflated by just having faced Georgia Tech. Last year, they ranked 22nd in the same category and allowed just 3.2 yards per carry at home. This year, they return almost their entire front 7 on defense and thus continue to create havoc in opposing backfields.

Their speed on defense allows them to halt up-tempo offenses such as that of Duke. Miami's defensive ends can remain well-rested because there are four of them who are capable of starting, but also because they played two fewer games than Syracuse. They are big and physical and work inside. But, with their quick reaction off the snap, they also ably help their linebackers in sideline-to-sideline pursuit. Miami's defense can excel against the quick sideline pass, but also the power run up the middle.

Going on the road against a highly-ranked pass defense is a tall order for Dungey. Dating back to last season, he has thrown 3 interceptions to 2 touchdowns against teams ranked in the top 50 of average opposing quarterback passer rating. Miami ranks 32nd in the category. Miami's front 7 should play a decisive role. Miami is 4th in sacks per game and should achieve plenty of sacks against a Syracuse team that is 124th in sacks allowed per game. The Orange, when they enter into longer passing downs, will need big passing plays against a Miami secondary that is 17th in pass yards allowed per attempt.

Offensively, Miami has the advantage of having a balanced attack, where Syracuse fails to develop one. Travis Homer impressed in his debut as Miami's starting running back with 170 yards against Georgia Tech's strongly-ranked rush defense. Quarterback Malik Rosier also proved that he can have an efficient game against a high-quality, experienced secondary, by achieving a 62% completion against the Yellow Jackets.

The power-5 opponents that Syracuse has faced, LSU and NC State, but also Middle Tennessee State, achieved the TT over against Syracuse by rushing more than 30 times. These teams did not fall behind, but instead kept pace with Syracuse, such that they were able to do what they want offensively. Malik Rosier provides a dual-threat element, with his mobility, that Syracuse, who struggled against Middle Tennessee State's Brent Stockstill, hasn't shown to be able to stop. Between Rosier's running, his improvement in pass accuracy, and the speedy Homer, Miami can boast a dangerously balanced offensive attack that features a strong running game.

The Verdict

This season, teams that face Clemson are 1-4 ATS in the following week. Expect a well-balanced Miami offense to control the game, while Dungey will struggle to regain momentum against the physicality, speed, and depth of Miami's defense. Syracuse, coming off a huge upset win, will run out of gas against Miami.

NCAAF Pick: Miami -16

Last edited:
write-up is up my friends. Feel free to discuss, thanks for reading (or, for KJ, danke fürs lesen) and BOL

Really also noticed the pinnacle line movement money all over syracuse # of tix too but a line i already found very fishy is moving for miami

Good job.

One of my favorite betting propositions is going against a team the week after they get a lottery win and I guess a lot of other bettors must like it too the way the line is going up. It's getting so high I will probably pass.

Public and money on cuse, line nonetheless going for Miami. But at this point it's way too early in the week to draw conclusions from the line

This season, teams that face Clemson are 1-4 ATS in the following week.

I know you don't like putting trends in your write ups, your boss(es) like them. This one has no merit. Kent didn't cover as a big fav vs an FCS, Auburn didn't cover as a big fav vs an FCS, Louisville didn't cover as a big fav vs Kent, VT didn't cover as a fav vs BC. The only cover was BC vs CM as a fav. So 3 of the 5 played cupcakes as big favorites afterwards and all 5 were favorites (all by atleast 2 scores). Cuse is a 3 score dog. But your bosses will want you to keep putting them in because...some people use things like that to decide what games to pick it seems?

I know you don't like putting trends in your write ups, your boss(es) like them. This one has no merit. Kent didn't cover as a big fav vs an FCS, Auburn didn't cover as a big fav vs an FCS, Louisville didn't cover as a big fav vs Kent, VT didn't cover as a fav vs BC. The only cover was BC vs CM as a fav. So 3 of the 5 played cupcakes as big favorites afterwards and all 5 were favorites (all by atleast 2 scores). Cuse is a 3 score dog. But your bosses will want you to keep putting them in because...some people use things like that to decide what games to pick it seems?

My editor actually specifically e-mailed me to tell me how awesome he found this trend...lol...I get paid, they're nice to me and treat me well (for instance they give me more articles), they seem like very good people, so I do what they want.

I will say, though, that while I include trends in my reasoning, as I have to (and thanks for remembering that), it doesn't form a part of my 'actual' reasoning for the pick, which is contained within the analysis that I can hopefully provide.

Trends are sexy, they offer an easy path to picking a "sure" winner while quickly seeming smart without having to do much work (like look at the individual games as you started to do, while dissecting my trend). But that's precisely why they're usually stupid. Sexy doesn't win in sports gambling. The San Diego Toreros on the road in college basketball do.

That is funny he actually commented how awesome that trend was.

You've mentioned it is a tough balance for you, but if you can produce a preview that you are happy with your higher ups are happy with then that is what you can do.

We'll know what matters and what doesn't.

I will be on Syracuse, but that doesn't mean anything about it's chances of coming in or not vs your's. I think that Cuse O vs Miami D has a chance to be ok from an Orange perspective. Dungey is pretty damn good. The bigger concern for me is the Cuse D holding up. Understand the letdown angle for Cuse, that is a valid issue. But as I said in the ML Dog thread, one could spin the Miami situation off two back-to-back final play wins as emotinally draining as well.

My counter to that is: it's not like their revenge win over fsu caused them emotional drainage. It's not like they celebrated massively after beating an opponent they were favored by. Cuse celebrated massively, though, I think it was way more emotional for them, a team and program not used to achieving big wins, to get one. And now they come on the road. I think home field provides an emotional advantage to Miami.

But like you say, don't focus on guessing whats in the players' heads. I think Miami is used to what Cuse brings offensively and is well equipped to stop it, while they have a real stud in Homer and a big boost from a developing Rosier.

Back