Suprise teams? Dissapointment teams?

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
when I say suprise team, I mean team that didnt do that well, barely made a bowl game, and should turn around and be one of the top 25 teams in the country and no one really saw it coming, it happens every year (S. Fla, Kansas).

Purdue - I realize they went 8-5 last year but they had a very weak schedule, the only played one ranked team the entire season, and got crushed by michigan and lost to PSU, but I think Joe tiller's last season will have a lot to do with this. They are picked 7th in the conference by most publications. There schedule isnt too tough with a lot of the tougher teams in the Big-10 are coming to west lafayette

Nebraska - I expect Bo Pelini to really turn this program around.

Colorado - Both Hawkins (coach) and Hawkins (QB), should improve this team. Dan is in his 3rd year and is a building more of his own players and Cody is a little bit more experienced and should do better

Cincinatti - I have no idea why, but ive been thinking these guys will be damn good this year

Miami - I can see them certainly turning it around this season

Anyway not garunteeing any of this happens or anything like that, and I havent even looked at all the teams, just something I can see happening. Dissapointment teams, teams that did really well last year, but wont do nearly as well this year

Kansas - im actually a kansas fan, I go to Lawrence every thanksgiving, and catch a hoops game during that weekend, so its kind of turned me into a fan. But this team had a very favorable schedule to go to 11-1 in the regular season like they did. There toughest road game was against KSU and other then Mizzu, that was probably there toughest game too. This year they play @USF, @ Oklahoma, vs T. Tech, vs Texas, @ Nebraska and I can see them losing all of these games.

Illinois - I believe Mendenhall was a huge lose and im not a big juice fan

Will add more later...

Last edited:
just to comment on a few things,

i still think nebraska is one more year away from turning the corner and i think colorado will still be 4th or 5th in the big 12 north.....

I definetly agree that Miami will suprise teams this year and be much better than predicted, but in 2009 they will be damn good after a great frosh incoming class from 08.

cant disagree with disappointing teams. ku at preseason 13 was ridiculous. Another team that I think might stumble will be lsu. They have a great defense, but lose some very important players in hester, dorsey, etc. that not only were great players but huge leaders. I see them losing the west division to auburn.

Overall, good post...

this IMO is how to make money off of college football. No other sport is so tied to popular opinion and the feelings of the so called experts who parade around on TV and in asinine polls that determine the BCS. Fortunately, the public is so biased and dumb most of the time that it creates discrepancies in the perception of teams (even in Vegas because public perception does in fact affect lines). If your list of "surprise teams" both better and worse than expected is mostly accurate, you will probably have a profitable season.

My List off the top of my head

Better Than Expected:

California
North Carolina
South Carolina
Ole Miss
South Florida

Worse Than Expected:

West Virginia
Virginia (12 votes...are you kidding me?)
Kentucky
Kansas (#13 hahaha)

this IMO is how to make money off of college football. No other sport is so tied to popular opinion and the feelings of the so called experts who parade around on TV and in asinine polls that determine the BCS. Fortunately, the public is so biased and dumb most of the time that it creates discrepancies in the perception of teams (even in Vegas because public perception does in fact affect lines). If your list of "surprise teams" both better and worse than expected is mostly accurate, you will probably have a profitable season.

thats my exact thinking , i thought this could turn into a nice thread but as you can see it didnt. I dont think Kentucky is expected to do well at all btw

I don't see eye-to-eye with you on Purdue, I actually think they'll be pretty bad...I can't ever expect Miami to do much of anything after watching them the past few years.

A few off the top of my head...

Surprises:

Kentucky (to some extent, I think they go 6-6 and compete with some good teams by year's end)
Arkansas (second half)
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Oregon
California
Louisville

Disappointments:

Georgia
Wisconsin
Purdue
USC
Arizona

These are all relative to expectations, of course...

Not exactly high on my disappointment list, but I think UGA and USC both lose 2 games, Wisconsin loses 4-5, Purdue quite possibly has a losing season, and Arizona won't break through and reach a bowl...

I don't see eye-to-eye with you on Purdue, I actually think they'll be pretty bad...I can't ever expect Miami to do much of anything after watching them the past few years.

A few off the top of my head...

Surprises:

Kentucky (to some extent, I think they go 6-6 and compete with some good teams by year's end)
Arkansas (second half)
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Oregon
California
Louisville

Disappointments:

Georgia
Wisconsin
Purdue
USC
Arizona

These are all relative to expectations, of course...

I agree with you on most. But I dont agree with WF and G.Tech. A lot of people say the Big East is the worst in the BCS but I totally disagree, I think its the ACC, im not too high on any teams in that league. I agree with Arkansas, Petrino is a cock, but hes still a good college football coach.

As for your dissapointments, there is no way Georgia will be what they are expected to be (NC). They will lose 2 or 3. USC too, so many ? marks. Dont agree with your big-10 teams, and then I never thought Arizona would have a good year, I would put them at a 6 win team at most and not 1 game over

disappointments

Illinois
kansas
clemson
rutgers

surprises

Iowa
south carolina
oklahoma state
wake forest
cincinnati
TCU
hawaii

honorable mention utah state fightin' aggies

honorable mention utah state fightin' aggies

Stop it, just stop it :D

Glad to see Okie St on there; I'm getting an itchy trigger finger...

Oh man. Kyle and his Aggies. Forget Texas Kyle come on up and I'll take you to Logan to watch some Aggie football. It'll be classic.

Agree with the TCU comment though. If they can get thru week 1 with a W they have the ability to go 10-2 with losses against Oklahoma and more than likely Utah. That would easily put them in the top 25.

when I say suprise team, I mean team that didnt do that well, barely made a bowl game, and should turn around and be one of the top 25 teams in the country and no one really saw it coming, it happens every year (S. Fla, Kansas).

Purdue - I realize they went 8-5 last year but they had a very weak schedule, the only played one ranked team the entire season, and got crushed by michigan and lost to PSU, but I think Joe tiller's last season will have a lot to do with this. They are picked 7th in the conference by most publications. There schedule isnt too tough with a lot of the tougher teams in the Big-10 are coming to west lafayette

Nebraska - I expect Bo Pelini to really turn this program around.

Colorado - Both Hawkins (coach) and Hawkins (QB), should improve this team. Dan is in his 3rd year and is a building more of his own players and Cody is a little bit more experienced and should do better

Cincinatti - I have no idea why, but ive been thinking these guys will be damn good this year

Miami - I can see them certainly turning it around this season

Anyway not garunteeing any of this happens or anything like that, and I havent even looked at all the teams, just something I can see happening. Dissapointment teams, teams that did really well last year, but wont do nearly as well this year

Kansas - im actually a kansas fan, I go to Lawrence every thanksgiving, and catch a hoops game during that weekend, so its kind of turned me into a fan. But this team had a very favorable schedule to go to 11-1 in the regular season like they did. There toughest road game was against KSU and other then Mizzu, that was probably there toughest game too. This year they play @USF, @ Oklahoma, vs T. Tech, vs Texas, @ Nebraska and I can see them losing all of these games.

Illinois - I believe Mendenhall was a huge lose and im not a big juice fan

Will add more later...

I was curious to how stupid or on I was on this thread

Purdue - I was obviously way off with this one. But figuring it was Joe Tillers last year "maybe" some magic could happen

Nebraska - Eh, sort of, they are average, they arent suprising anyone though.

Colorado - Another dinger, way off here, will Hawkins be there next year?

Cinci- Pretty spot on with this one, they are winning the Big East as of now. Playing Pitt next week in a big game, and if they win that, they are almost lock to win the Big Easy

Miami - 7-3 this year, and they turned it around, could win the ACC, I think they are a little bit suprising maybe even ranked next week

Kansas - Well, my prediction of Kansas beating Texas was just plain stupid as it turned out, but thats ok. Before the season started I predicted all of their losses. Every team I said they would lose too, they lost too!

Illiniois - Yeah they pretty much suck

All In all I think I had some good predictions, some bad ones. Wish more people got in on this because its always nice to look at who you thought would do well in the preseason

Not trying to be a homer, but no one else is surprised by Minnesota being 7-3?

Personally, they are not also my biggest disappointment after the last two weeks LOL!

Wisconsin is the least impressive (and not only because I have a large bet on them and they are shitting the bed)...

disappointments

Illinois
kansas
clemson
rutgers

surprises

Iowa
south carolina
oklahoma state
wake forest
cincinnati
TCU