Sunday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
It's truly a shame that Larry Coker's career record is 59-15, he won a national title, was one late penalty flag away from another one, and now, in the same decade, he gets shit-canned.

He is truly the story of what's wrong with the state of college athletics - and football, namely - today. All the money is only good if you can win - and win consistently, win with style and pizazz, and uphold the name of "The U".

Was it his fault that his thugs got into it with Florida International earlier this year, or that ex-Cane Lamar Thomas said "Nobody comes into our house and does that" on ESPN-Plus's broadcast?

I regress.

Coker will coach one more game, in frigid Boise, Idaho, where the 6-6 Canes will try to beat WAC upstart Nevada.

Coming into the year, the Canes had the talent, at least on defense, and the schedule, to be a sleeper for the national title hunt with Florida State, Virginia Tech and Boston College coming to the Orange Bowl.

Unfortunately, the lack of any consistent offense and the inability to ever come up with a clutch play meant a 1-4 record on the road. The lone win away from the Orange Bowl was in a 20-15 battle at, gulp, Duke...

The tragic death of defensive lineman Bryan Pata made a bad year truly horrible.

Nevada is looking to win nine games for the second straight season. Chris Ault's club won eight of its last ten games, only losing at Hawaii and in the regular season final against Boise State.

Nevada's offense works best when it's running the ball effectively, but it needs senior QB Jeff Rowe to come up with a big performance in his finale. A second-day draft prospect, he has the height, the experience, the mobility, and an accurate arm when the offense is working. He was awful against Boise, and now has to go out and prove himself against an even better defense.

Miami is saying all the right things about not caring about the cold weather, but Florida players, who are used to practicing in 85 or 90-degree, 100% humidity conditions, hate playing in cold weather and seem to lose an edge once the thermometer drops. The forecast is supposed to call for gametime temps a little above freezing. The expected low in Miami is 70. It'll be interesting to see how frail Miami's psyche is after a long season. If it's really cold, and the Pack is pounding the ball with its good offensive line, Miami might just quit. This is a big big game for the Wolfpack, as close to a national radar-type game as they'll play in years, most likely.

The loss of two offensive coaches in a month has shorthanded Miami's coaching staff during its preparation. Miami's offense is ranked 87th nationally. The Hurricanes have scored 14 points or less six times this season, losing five of those games. They've also been hit by injuries, namely to four offensive linemen and their starting quarterback.

The Wolf Pack were the WAC's second-ranked defense behind Boise State. They held opponents to an average of 327.6 total yards per game and have the No. 1 pass defense in the WAC.

As far as the snow? This excerpt, from an AP story the other day.

"
"What are we doing?" quarterback Kirby Freeman asked afterward, looking out at snowcapped mountains in the distance.

"It was cold. I'll be honest. It was cold. We can't think about that stuff. Your hands are numb, your feet are numb, you've got to keep moving around, but that's the atmosphere of Boise."

Besides spending the next few days continuing to get ready for Nevada (8-4), Miami's opposition Sunday night in the MPC Computers Bowl, the Hurricanes (6-6) are also getting ready for another new foe -- winter.

"This weather," running back Javarris James said, "is crazy."

Most Miami players have never competed in conditions like this; in fact, most have never even experienced them.

That's why blue fingers and blue toes are more of a concern to the Hurricanes than getting used to the famed blue turf inside Bronco Stadium on Boise State's campus.

"It's just different," tight end Greg Olsen said. "That's all. It's like when guys from cold parts of the country come down to Miami this time of year. It's a shock to the system."

"

Don't forget, the WAC 2-0 so far in the post-season. We know which team the games means more to. I made Nevada the favorite, and gladly took the points, and the moneyline price in this one.

Prediction: Nevada 20, Miami 17

The plays: Nevada plus 4 for a medium bet

Nevada plus 150 for a small bet

Lean to UNDER but will wait for more info in the morning.

Good luck all!!!

:shake:

Rex: This game means alot to the Hurricanes as well, the D-coach is the #1 guy now and the players will play hard for him as well as for Coker, the players think alot of Coker, it is the Alumni that booted his ass out. My point here is that Miami will come to play and play hard, however I do question their ability(talent) which is another big reason Coker is out he could not recruit and they claim the d-coach is a hell of a recruiter so these Canes better bring it or be replaced next year. GL always Cash

They say they'll play hard. They're saying all the right things.

It's cold as fuck up there. They are a soft-ass team. They've been soft all year. Anytime they face some adversity, they crumble in the face of it.

Give me Chris Ault and a battle-hardened Reno unit eager to avenge the embarassment of the Boise loss.

GL fellas..

looks like the flavor of the bowl seasonthis year has been the underdog ....and the over...

at least since 12-29-06

dogs 7-1 last 8
over 6-2

My sources also tell me Miami has implemented a spread offense for this game, they have had over a month to get comfortable with it, but I question how good they can be at it never playing it at game speed, also it is my understanding that their practices have been awful leading up to this game. As always gl on your action Rex!

I think motivation plays a huge role in the outcome. Do you think these S. Florida boys want to be in cold-ass, bodunk Boise on new year's eve when their buddies and girlfriends are partying on South Beach?

mr21 said:
I think motivation plays a huge role in the outcome. Do you think these S. Florida boys want to be in cold-ass, bodunk Boise on new year's eve when their buddies and girlfriends are partying on South Beach?

I think this is the handicapping angle for tonight...as Da Edge stated...on ESPN (amazingly)..."these boys are concerned about getting to the NFL only"....(with a big grin)..."but that's OK cause I've WON a ton betting against 'em".

The U gets up for the game & wins in Boise...WTF they gonna look forward to...partying with the Mormons...i think not.

How many UM fans traveled to Boise for the New Year????? ZERO...

Nevada rolls SU..................:smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe: :smiley_acbe:

Mully :drink: :wacka wacka: :drink:

Back