397 middle tenn st
398 louisville

399 north texas
400 ul - monroe

401 arkansas state
402 ul - lafayette

403 florida intl
404 troy

I can't believe I'm up at 4:30 a.m. Yesterday was brutal and I'm hungover but I'm totally awake.

8-17 on the entire week....its official it time to trim the card down now...betting 10-15 games a week isn't going to work this time of year

2-3 last week and I don't care. Texas won. Will be #2 at worst.

Thought we'd have GameDay and a 7 pm game in Austin. Still might but not as certain.

Postgame: BU

from Clone Chronicles by BryceC
"We weren't focused on the task at hand," cornerback Devin McDowell said. "We just went out there and gave up, pretty much."
I think that pretty much sums it up. I downloaded Super Mario Brothers 3 on my Wii so I think I'm going to go play that and harken back to a simpler time. It's better than trying to ramble on about last night.

Gobble Gobble: Get Your Texas-OU Fill

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
I know the feeling well: Your team wins the big game, and all you want to do is soak-soak-soak up as much reaction as you can. It's okay. We're here to help.
FROM THE ENEMY'S DEN

• Berry Tramel, The Oklahoman: In OU-UT, The Better Team Won

"Texas coach Mack Brown talked about what an epic game it was, and he was right. But it also was epic disappointment. Bad enough to lose, but to lose the fourth quarter to a coach and school that OU once lorded over? The Sooners aren't who we thought they were."
John Rohde, The Oklahoman: Mack Tells It Like It Is

"OU coach Bob Stoops has long been a class act whenever he loses (all of 23 times now in 125 starts with the Sooners). Brown, on the other hand, excels in victory. He is careful not to pour salt into the wound of any victim. It is in defeat when Brown has been known to literally talk himself into a corner, trying to explain away something that went awry."

John Helsley, The Oklahoman: Texas Abuses OU With Converted Tight End Position

"Too tempting to resist, the Longhorns filled the tight end slot with wide receiver Jordan Shipley – a twist just for this game – and went to him repeatedly, gouging OU down the middle. Recalling what Finley did a year ago (four catches for 149 yards and a touchdown), Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis hoped to take advantage of OU's defensive tendencies again, trying to create matchups on linebackers.
"We felt like by what they did, the tight end spot should have some opportunities," Davis said.
"Probably, most of Jordan's catches was from that position."

John Shinn, The Norman Transcript: Cotton Bowl Collapse

"It was like a ride that someone would have paid about 200 tickets to take Saturday afternoon at the Texas State Fair. Some did with scalpers asking $500 for for a ticket outside the gates. Touchdowns, big plays and momentum swung back and forth so violently it almost caused motion sickness.

In the end, it was No. 1 Oklahoma that was sick after a 45-35 loss to No. 5 Texas in the 103rd edition of the Red River Rivalry."

Clay Horning, The Norman Transcript: Part Of OU's Loss Is On The Coach

"Though Stoops’ Big-Game-Bobness has been in question for some time, ever since OU made a habit of losing its last game of the season, his exposure until recently has been limited. Even if his teams have occasionally appeared less than ready, it wasn’t a matter of the coach taking an unwise course in the moment.

Until now."
HOME COOKIN'

• Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman: This One Was No Upset, Because Texas Is Better Than OU

"It's true. Texas has a better football team than Oklahoma. Savor it, Longhorn fans. Feel it, take it in, believe it"

• Cedric Golden, Austin American-Statesman: UT's Davis Called The Best Game Of His Career

"Remember, this is the same guy who admitted that the game plan he and Brown installed before a 12-0 loss to the Sooners in 2004 was conservative by design, one that clipped Vince Young's growing wings and ended up possibly costing Texas a chance to win a national title. The game is different now. So is Davis.
    He is a better offensive coordinator than he was that day."

• Chuck Carlton, Dallas Morning News: Ogbonnaya Stands Out Against Sooners

"Quarterback Colt McCoy made sure Ogbonnaya's efforts were noted, calling him a playmaker, which might have drawn strange looks last month. 'They blitzed and blitzed all day and played their linebackers in tight, so they made us throw the ball a lot. Finally, they backed off, Chris popped two long runs, and that was the difference.'"
  • Kevin Sherrington, Dallas Morning News: For Longhorns, It's One But Not Done

"Just how good Texas really is, we'll find out over the coming weeks. But it's safe to say that it's far better than anyone imagined. A fine game at the fair proved that point, and perhaps foreshadowed another."
  • Chip Brown, Orangebloods.com: This Changes Everything

"The last time Texas beat a top-ranked Oklahoma team in the regular season was 1963. The Longhorns went on to win the national title that year. Even Mack Brown didn't hide the fact that this year's blue-collar Longhorns are now playing for much bigger stakes.

"Now, we're looking at a bigger goal," Brown said."

THE NATIONAL PERSPECTIVE

• Matt Hayes, The Sporting News: Lessons Gleaned From Texas-OU, So Far The Game Of The Year

"The big debate: Who has the best conference? Right now, it's pretty hard to argue against the Big 12."

• Ivan Maisel, ESPN.com: Chemistry Key In Texas' Cotton Bowl Surprise

"If you went to see your team play Saturday, if you didn't have the good fortune of wearing burnt orange or crimson in Fair Park on a sunlit fall Saturday, if you made the mistake of watching some other game, get thee to YouTube. Buy, cheat or steal your way to a copy and watch No. 5 Texas beat No. 1 Oklahoma 45-35."

• Tim Griffin, ESPN.com: Can Texas Continue To Run The Gauntlet?

"In a way, this run is setting up much like Oklahoma's run to the 2000 national championship. To earn that title, the Sooners beat No. 11 Texas, No. 2 Kansas State and No. 1 Nebraska - all in the same month. The rankings might not hold, but Texas will face a similar challenge with their remaining schedule."

• College Football News: Texas #1

:shake:
I can't believe I'm up at 4:30 a.m. Yesterday was brutal and I'm hungover but I'm totally awake.

You and me both. Been up all night. Anyways....Man, Florida put a hurting to LSU. I guess their loss last week was a fluke cause the way they played they should still be ranked in the top 5 for sure. Tebow looked like a Heisman winner again. Will be interesting to see the rankings now that the top 3 tumbled. :36_11_6: Good luck next week-end

Texas - OU Postgame React, Part 2: Dancin' Again

There was just too much today to confine the postgame reaction piece to the usual format. To the bullet points we go:
hornbullet.gif
Awards?
Nu-uh. Not today. How could we fairly decide who was more valuable to the offense among Chris Ogbonnaya, Colt McCoy, Jordan Shipley, and Quan Cosby? Could we reasonably say Earl Thomas was more valuable than Roddrick Muckelroy? What about Roy Miller and Blake Gideon? Forget all that: This was the definition of a team effort, and every guy mentioned below (and those not covered) deserve to share in the glory. No way Texas wins this game unless this Team, capital T, isn't as cohesive and selflessly committed to excellence as it has proven itself to be.
hornbullet.gif
3 out of 4... Wins in this series often come in bunches, and Texas has now won three of the last four. Though Mack Brown and his staff really need to corral this year's win into a Big XII Title Game appearance (at the least) to hammer the success home, Oklahoma remains the Longhorns' lone true rival. For any and all shortcomings that may accompany any given year, the Red River Shootout is the one game that can provide for fans the satisfaction normally reserved for accomplishing long term goals.
hornbullet.gif
The legend of Colt McCoy grows... He's now 2-1 in the RRS, Texas is 6-0 in a year when the Longhorns were supposed to be rebuilding for '09, and based on what I heard watching 12 hours of football coverage today, a--if not the--Heisman front runner. Though neither he nor I could care less about any individual awards, the recognition he's receiving is deserved. And Barking Carnival's EOT is right: No QB in college football is playing better than McCoy right now.
hornbullet.gif
Chris Ogbonnaya is not 40, but he's a man. C-O! [clap-clap] C-O! [clap-clap] C-O! [clap-clap] One of my absolute favorite Longhorns had himself a(nother!) game for the ages, finishing with 130 yards rushing on 15 carries, and another 27 receiving yards on 4 catches. That's impressive enough in its own right, but where he (and Greg Davis) deserve credit is for how much of it came in the second half, when lesser analysts (me) were calling for a wholesale abandonment of the rushing game. Not counting the three kill-the-clock rushes when Texas was up by 10, Ogbonnaya's rush chart by half looks like this:
<table style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" align="center" border="3" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody> <tr> <td>1st Half</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>-1</td> <td>-1</td> <td>3</td> <td>Total: 8 yards, 1.3 ypc</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2nd Half</td> <td>6</td> <td>30</td> <td>3</td> <td>12</td> <td>3</td> <td>62</td> <td> Total: 116 yards, 19.3 ypc
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> That's a big reason why today perhaps was both Ogbonnaya's and Greg Davis's finest game at Texas: The bulk of the success came after it looked like there was little hope to run the ball. Ryan Reynolds' injury had something to do with it, but the bulk of the credit goes to Davis, OG, and the Longhorns' offensive line, which battled hard the OU front seven.
hornbullet.gif
Muschamp bein' Muschamp. That Oklahoma offense was really good, and they had more than a little success against a damn fine Texas defense. But Will Muschamp has this year blown me away with his second half adjustments and today was no exception. After Oklahoma scored on their first drive of the second half to take a 28-20 lead, Muschamp's charges forced OU into a turnover or punt on five straight drives to close the game:
<table style="text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" align="center" border="3" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Score</td> <td>Plays</td> <td>Yards</td> <td>Drive Result</td> </tr> <tr> <td>28-27, OU</td> <td>5</td> <td>26</td> <td>Fake punt fail</td> </tr> <tr> <td>30-28, TX</td> <td>6</td> <td>22</td> <td> "Roughing" punter extends drive,
OU covers 49 additional yards in 6 plays
to take 35-30 lead
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>38-35, TX</td> <td>3</td> <td>8</td> <td>Punt</td> </tr> <tr> <td>45-35, TX</td> <td>5</td> <td>21</td> <td>Turnover on downs</td> </tr> <tr> <td>45-35, TX</td> <td>6</td> <td>36</td> <td style="text-align: left;">INT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>TOTALS</td> <td>25</td> <td>113</td> <td style="text-align: left;">4.5 yards per play</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Winner-winner. Even adding in the 6 plays for 49 yards after the faux penalty on the punter, the Sooners managed a mere 162 yards on 31 plays (7 points) over the game's final five drives. This, after averaging 7.6 yards over their first 36 offensive plays (28 points). Will Muschamp wins football games.
hornbullet.gif
Cody Johnson scores touchdowns. With his 3 touchdown runs today, true freshman Cody Johnson has 9 on the season and has become a key ingredient for the Longhorns in the red zone. Don't sniffle: For a team that has struggled the past two years to convert red zone opportunities into touchdowns with enough consistency (38 of 56, 67% in 2006 / 35 of 52, 67% in 2007), Johnson has been a godsend--an important reason 27 of the Longhorns' 33 red zone trips have ended in touchdown (82%).
His role firmly established, the big fella needs a nickname... The Freshman Finisher? I'm open to suggestions.
hornbullet.gif
86-2. With Texas' win today behind 438 total yards on offensive, Mack Brown moves to 86-2 when reaching the 400 yards mark. And that, really, is why it's okay for fans to start dreaming big about this season: The tempered expectations this year were founded on the thesis that an offense with so few proven weapons wouldn't be able to keep pace in the Big XII while this young defense grew up.
Colt McCoy, Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, and Chris Ogbonnaya have in just six games turned all that on its head. And best yet...
hornbullet.gif
We're not peaking yet...Though it would be hard to ask much more from this group than we've gotten already, the truth is Texas is thriving with, I'd argue, as much room to grow offensively as anyone in the country. The offensive line is good and can be better as younger contributors become more conistent; Brandon Collins and James Kirkendoll are slowly but surely getting their feet underneath them; the slim-n-trim version of Chris Ogbonnaya is finding himself as a football player; a healthy Fozzy Whittaker would add a lot to this offense; and this Oklahoma game forced Apple-Davis to expand our offensive capacity beyond what we might have had we not needed to outgun a damn good OU team today.
And that's before we even get to the defense, which it's becoming easy to forget is still anchored by as many underclassmen as veterans. And as I keep saying every week I'm asked about it on the radio, the most impressive quality of Will Muschamp's defenses is not that the unit improves game to game... It's that they improve quarter to quarter. The schedule remains daunting, but if I've said it once, I've said it a million times: Texas is going to become a progressively harder team to beat with each successive week.
hornbullet.gif
Texas two-step. I've been hesitant to endorse the idea that Texas could continue to thrive in the passing game just on the backs of Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley, but man do those two deserve game balls once again.
<table style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" align="center" border="3" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
</td> <td>CATCHES</td> <td>YARDS</td> <td>YPC</td> <td>REC TD</td> <td>MONSTER BLOCKS</td> <td>RETURN TDs</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Shipley</td> <td>11</td> <td>112</td> <td>10.5</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Cosby</td> <td>9</td> <td>122</td> <td>13.6</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
hornbullet.gif
Defensive excellence... The 'Horns got defensive contributions from a host of players Saturday, but seven stood out as the most important playmakers of the day.
<table align="center" border="3" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody> <tr> <td>PLAYER</td> <td>Solo</td> <td>Asst</td> <td>Tackles</td> <td>TFL / Yds</td> <td>FF</td> <td>INT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Muckelroy</td> <td>12</td> <td>2</td> <td>14</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Gideon</td> <td>7</td> <td>1</td> <td>8</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Orakpo</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>5</td> <td>4 / -19</td> <td>1</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Houston</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>5</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Miller</td> <td>--</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kindle</td> <td>3</td> <td>1</td> <td>4</td> <td>1 / -5</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Thomas</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td>--</td> <td>1</td> <td>2</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> A brief word on each:

• Roddrick Muckelroy: With the exception of two bad reads on pass plays that hurt Texas, he was amazing. Just... unbelievable. It was truly astonishing to see a tackle made and squint in at the TV to wonder, "What that Muck again?"
  • Brian Orakpo: He finished with two sacks and might have had five if Phil Loadholt hadn't blatantly held him the entire game. He's playing every bit as well as his reputation right now.
  • Lamarr Houston / Roy Miller: Not counting sacks, Oklahoma rushed 23 times for 68 yards. Thanks in large part to these two.
  • Blake Gideon and Earl Thomas: Texas' freshmen safeties are growing up fast. Gideon looks like a fifth year senior, while Thomas--still raw--is just scratching the surface of his capabilities. If Gideon's the steady hand, Thomas is the rainmaker.
  • Sergio Kindle: His athleticism allows Muschamp to do so many different things with this defense. Linemen have no choice but to hold him.
hornbullet.gif
The little things... Briefly, a giant hat tip to Curtis Brown, who exemplified the Can't Quit attitude of this defense when he derailed Oklahoma's fake punt doubling back eight yards to make the first down-saving tackle.
hornbullet.gif
Wrong futbol. Mike Knall may take home an Oscar, but he should have to forfeit his jockstrap for his flopping today.

hornbullet.gif
Beyond the flops... Evensetting aside that atrocious roughing the punter penalty, the officiating on Saturday was horrendous. Both sides had ample opportunity to complain about the officiating, though I personally think Texas got the worst of it when you consider how badly the Longhorns' ends were being held on play after play after play--most of the time flagrantly.
hornbullet.gif
Dancin' again... Did anyone else notice that the Texas Longhorns football team is dancing again? They were. And they are. The glorious Vince Young era is officially an era of the past. The 2008 Texas Longhorns are forging an identity of their own--just as loose, confident, and determined to win.
Hook 'Em Horns. OU Sucks.

Line Predictions Week 8

from underdogsofwar.com by TheGarfather
I will not be available to make this thread next week. Matador or Horses can step up if they want to. I will be traveling for a week from Thursday to the following Wednesday. I am planning on handicapping both weeks 8 and 9, but will not likely be available for much commentary late this week and will get a late start on week 9.
Florida ST +6.5 @ NC State (you can say this should be be larger and you’d probably be right, but I’ve seen this rivalry go to the Pack way too often and won’t be fooled into putting out a big number)
BYU -3 @ TCU (each team played like shit today, likely because of the look-ahead factor)
Hawaii @ Boise State -26

Hunt's poll; Texas takes top spot

Posted by John Hunt, The Oregonian October 11, 2008 23:56PM

Categories: Football

No, the Ducks did not earn their way back into the Top 25 on a topsy-turvy week in the top 10. Give Texas bragging rights, at least for one week, after the win over Oklahoma, and put USC back in the top five...

1. Texas
2. Alabama
3. Penn State
4. Florida
5. USC
6. LSU
7. Oklahoma
8. Oklahoma State
9. Texas Tech
10. Ohio State
11. Boise State
12. Georgia
13. Utah
14. Missouri
15. BYU
16. Virginia Tech
17. North Carolina
18. Pittsburgh
19. Michigan State
20. California
21. Vanderbilt
22. Kansas
23. Florida State
24. South Florida
25. Wake Forest

Postgame React, Part 1: Mack Brown's Crown Jewel

I don’t think I’ve ever been this nervous before a TX/OU game...every practical bone in my body says we’re going to get beat by 20 tomorrow, but for some reason, I want to believe. Probably because I think my real fear is that we get exposed tomorrow and things domino like the stock market, leading to losses against Mizzou, OSU and Tech... and by the time we get to Baylor, it’ll be too late for a bail out.
But I think the real reason I want to win tomorrow is because I’m still searching for OU satisfaction. I may write about this next week, but basically, even in the two wins in '05 and '06, we didn’t get to experience the thrill of beating a really good OU team. We seem to win because they were bad, not because we were good. One of those OU teams was unranked and the other was like 14th. I want to know what it feels like to beat them when they’re higher ranked than us. Let’s knock them off their pedestal for once.
Such is the life of a neurotic Texas fan I guess.
--Cory "54b" Davies, Friday afternoon--
How does it feel, Cory? And more importantly, how does it feel... Mack Brown? How about you, Greg Davis?
More than anything else, among all the great stories from today (all covered in the forthcoming Postgame React, Part 2), this is my favorite: Today's win is the final validation of Mack Brown's Texas career. And also, I think, a day above all others that Greg Davis deserves to be saluted by the Burnt Orange Nation.
After the Colorado meltdown and five straight losses to Bob Stoops, Mack Brown was told that he couldn't win the big one. And after that fifth straight loss to Boomer Sooner, a horrifying 12-0 shutout, Greg Davis was fairly burnt at the stake.
And then... then Vince Young happened. Texas won 20 straight games, culminating in a victory that forever made Vince Young a larger-than-life legend and secured Mack Brown's legacy as a success. A big success.
But after two rocky seasons in the post-Vince era, Mack Brown and Greg Davis found themselves staring down a new storyline: Great with Vince, yes... but still fatally flawed without. In the aftermath of Texas' abysmal loss in College Station last November, one of the most insightful Texas football writers around all but buried Mack Brown six feet under:
Mack does one of those things well (bringing different camps together) and the rest horridly. He ricochets between micromanagement and absentee delegation (The classic Hersey S1/S4 managerial swing), hires within a narrow comfort zone of yes-men, can’t bear to make the tough call, indulges nepotism in himself and his staff, has skin as thin as onion paper, evidences shoddy results in grooming others, stifles staff dissent and necessary creative tension, and values tenure over talent.
Like all great salespeople, Mack Brown’s first and most necessary sale is to himself. Like most marketers, his vision far exceeds his technical and managerial acumen. When his ambitions are thwarted, and absent the gift of ruthless self-appraisal, he looks externally - to the fans, to football mysticism and cliche, to specious and deceiving benchmarks that suggest that he’s not really failing at all. Good organizations are about solid systems, not personality cults. Being bombarded with the notion that Mack is a tremendous CEO doesn’t make it so.
It was a scathing and, to that point, accurate description of Mack Brown... in all ways but one. I wound up responding to Scipio Tex's post by asking in my story title, "Can't Change? Or Won't?" As I saw it:
Where our posts diverge is in the final framing of the big issue: where I suggest Mack Brown may well be capable of making adjustments that help cure much of which ails him, Scipio's conclusion suggests that such a transformation is not within Mack's capabilities at all...
For now, we're each left to choose what we want to believe about the future at Texas under Mack Brown. Me? I think the Hallmark Card in me wants to believe that this year's struggles might lead Mack Brown to make the sort of evaluation - self and otherwise - with which he's heretofore been uncomfortable. Is that naive? I dunno; I'm not exactly counting on it, and you won't find me among the suprised if Texas football has plateaued. I know as well as anyone that people rarely change at the fundamental level - generally, we are who we are.
And yet, it does happen. I recently finished editing a book of interviews from a Washington D.C.-based radio program and I'll never forget listening to and editing the interview with former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara. By the end of the interview he was crying softly as he talked about the lessons he'd learned since the Vietnam War. The one thing that stood out above all else in that interview was that, with age and experience, McNamara had fundamentally changed. More than that, there had come a distinct moment in time where he made a conscious decision that doing so was necessary.
His legacy and Mack Brown's are two completely different beasts, but like the heart attack victim who decides to eat well and exercise, the convict who renounces violence and finds religion, or the workaholic father who finally decides to prioritize his family, there do exist transformational moments in a man's life and career that can profoundly affect how he conducts his business.
Is the disappointment of this season the kind of low point that might prompt Mack Brown to make a similar self-evaluation? Maybe, maybe not, but hey - sometimes life delivers a Hallmark ending.
Later, in May of this year, I took issue with co-author Horn Brain's similarly dim outlook on Mack Brown, writing:
From my seat in May 2008, I have no hesitation acknowledging I've seen enough of Mack Brown to know that if he fails to identify, appreciate, and overcome some of the things that hold him back as a football coach, he has indeed more or less hit his max speed - very good but not great. I just happen to think the full weight of evidence precludes the writing in ink of the remaining Mack Brown chapters. I think he's a much tougher and more resilient SOB than a lot of people appreciate, and find the pessimist's conclusion premature. Ask me again when 2009 is in the books and I may have a different answer.
I don't bring all this up to pat myself on the back. (Without question, I'm wrong at least as often as I'm right.) No, I raise this storyline today because this win over Oklahoma marks the end--the end--of the Mack Brown is anything but a great football coach era. And today marks the day that we look around the country, look at our own team, and say that Greg Davis, too, had his crowning moment as a Longhorn assistant coach.
First, Davis:

• He has been deserving of scorn and doubt on many, many occasions, but deserving of credit for taking Texas to the top with its most dynamic individual player ever, Vince Young.
  • Today, like his head coach, we saw him bury past demons with a game plan that not even the nastiest skeptic can dismiss as an underachievement.
  • Past failures aside, one of the truest marks of a successful coach is growth over time. We've seen Greg Davis fail in this game many times. But today he took the bull by the horns and was the offensive coordinator we needed to win the most amazing Red River Shootout during the Mack Brown/Greg Davis era.
And Mack Brown:

• He came to Texas a very good, but very conservative coach who had much to learn to become something more.
  • All his efforts peaked in the magic of 2005, when his once-a-generation talent keyed a perfect storm.
  • He hit an all-time low after Vince Young's departure when his tendency to embrace what's easy and comfortable resulted in painful, telling losses in an increasingly competitive Big 12.
  • He responded to last year's A&M loss in magnificent fashion, rejecting what's comfortable and challenging himself and his team to greatness.
  • And now... this. Facing one of Oklahoma's very finest teams since his arrival in Austin--certainly on offense--Mack Brown got the win: As the underdog... When Oklahoma was #1, hitting a terrifying peak in the football cycle... A year before Texas was supposed to hit its own peak in the cycle... He. Won... Texas won... With Vince Young long gone... Coming from behind, with all the fire and fight that he's been told he and his teams don't possess.
Today belongs to Ogbonnaya, Cosby, Shipley, Orakpo, McCoy, Kindle, Gideon, and all the rest of those kids. But, though they would insist otherwise, today also truly belongs to their coaches. To Greg Davis, Will Muschamp, and Duane Akina.
And to Mack Brown. Alongside Darrell Royal, a Longhorn legend.

A different take...

from Georgia Sports Blog by Paul Westerdawg

I agree with much of Quinton's earlier take that the win lacked sizzle / excitement in some ways. But I have a different view of some things. I feel like Georgia had many issues before the game that we needed to make progress on, and we finally made some gains on a few of those issues today. (Image: Shaun Chapas - DawgPost.com)

Pre-game Improvement Needs:
  • Offensive Line - The OL needed to be more physical and pound the ball when it mattered. An 11 minute drive to finish the game and steal Tennessee's manhood went a long way towards addressing this. The offensive line also protected Stafford well enough to avoid giving up a sack. That's progress.
  • Defense - The D needed to show some pass rush, and we needed to be able to stop the run when it really matters. The pass rush was dramatically better in this game. The stat sheet only shows two sacks, but we pressured the QB more. The run defense gave up a staggering 1 net yard rushing.
  • Fewer Points and More Stops! - Tennessee was held to 14 points, 1 positive yard rushing and 208 yards passing. UT only ran 45 plays from scrimmage (30 passing and 15 rushing) to Georgia's 81 plays. The Vols got 52 percent of their offensive yards on four passing plays. They averaged 2.39 yards per play on the other 41 snaps. That's incredibly impressive. As a side note: 5 of the last 6 Georgia wins in the series have come when the Dawgs held the Vols to 14 or fewer points.
  • The penalties - As Quinton pointed out, UGA did a solid job in the first half. However, we had 9 penalties in the second half. The stat is a little inflated due to three intentional penalties to set up field position or milked clock. This area still needs tremendous work.
  • Kickoff Coverage - Much, much better. Walsh's first two kickoffs were listed as touch backs. His third kick landed on the 1 yard line, and it was returned to the 23. Georgia then had two kicks returned to the 38 and 32 before the final kick went into the endzone with a respectable coverage stopping them at the 25. This was by far Georgia's best kickoff coverage of the season. However, more improvements are needed.
The reasons the game wasn't a wild blow out were the turnovers and some questionable redzone play calls. However, you have to wonder if the redzone play calling will improve now that Searels and Bobo have seen the OL actually mash a decent DL? Who knows.

As Quinton alluded, we basically left 9-17 points on the field due to redzone blunders. The good news -- Bobo's offenses the past two years (before Saturday) were among the nation's leaders in redzone efficiency.

Regardless, Georgia has won 6 of the last 9 games against Tennessee. We're still beat all to hell, and the injury to Vince Vance doesn't make the season any easier. But the schedule looks markedly easier as Vanderbilt, LSU, Auburn, Kentucky and Georgia Tech all looked much less impressive this week. Florida...well..we've got two games to improve and get healthy.

PWD

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Oklahoma State-Missouri </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Oct 12, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

The fine folks inside Faurot Field had to think that Chase Daniel would get the job done, as the Heisman Trophy contender led Missouri downfield in the final minutes against Oklahoma State. But instead of bowing to a special quarterback, the cool-customer Cowboys decided to grow up before the watchful eyes of a spellbound nation.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

College football experts and aficionados have seen Chase Daniel work his magic over the past few years. The young lad with the accurate arm and the uncanny pocket presence possesses a feel for football that is exceeded only, perhaps, by Colt McCoy of Texas. After 58 minutes of a bruising Big 12 brawl, the Tigers—down by only five points—had their tremendous triggerman in charge, with the ball at the Cowboy 41. The odds suggested that Daniel would do the deed, and keep Missouri undefeated in time for a tilt with McCoy and Texas the following weekend.

Oklahoma State’s defense, though, had other plans.

In a portrait of uncommon poise and phenomenal fortitude, the Cowboys had one more big play in their arsenal, as Patrick Levine snared an interception with 1:41 left that sealed the upset and left OSU tied with Texas atop the Big 12 South. It was just the latest display of determination from a group of gladiators who maxed out against Missouri and its mighty field general. To understand how good this performance was, one needs to appreciate the full measure of Daniel’s accuracy, which emerged in the game’s first three quarters.

For most of the night, Missouri’s worst enemy was… Missouri, as Tiger receivers Danario Alexander and Tommy Saunders dropped open passes that sabotaged drives. Alexander’s drop turned into an interception around the OSU 20, while Saunders’ slip-up came on the OSU 1 and was followed by a blocked field goal. Missouri miscues not belonging to Daniel prevented the Tigers from gaining early leverage in this contest, a matchup of two Big 12 unbeatens. If Daniel’s stat line suggested that he struggled for the majority of the evening, the stats lied. OSU’s defense pummeled and pressured Daniel for much of the evening, while shutting down Mizzou’s ground game and causing a number of three-and-outs against coach Gary Pinkel’s dynamic attack. But Daniel himself was not the result of the struggles faced by his offense. Not in the first three quarters of play.

As the scene then shifted to the fourth and final stanza, one of the questions that had to exist on the lips of every engrossed observer was this: “Could Oklahoma State’s defense continue to spill the tank with success, rushing after Daniel and delivering hard hits with the same level of ferocity and firmness?” Since Missouri, not OSU, entered this game as the big-name program with the top-five ranking and the bulls-eye on its back, it stood to reason that Daniel—given more opportunities to give his team the lead after a difficult uphill battle—would come through under fire. But for once, Daniel ran into a lion’s den wearing white jerseys with orange trim. Mike Gundy’s guys wouldn’t back down, and that’s what signified the emergence of a new player in the Big 12 South.

Before Levine’s game-sealing interception in the final minutes, it’s worth pointing out that safety Andre Sexton picked off Daniel with 8:03 left in the fourth quarter. The huge play set up a 31-yard touchdown pass from OSU quarterback Zac Robinson to receiver Damian Davis with just over 6:30 left in regulation. The reliable pitch-and-catch combination of Robinson and Davis, which teamed up to deliver another go-ahead score late in the third quarter, struck paydirt once again to give the Cowboys the points that would turn out to prove decisive. That final touchdown from the OSU arsenal, as impressive as it was, followed the essential interception from Sexton. The Cowboys’ offense scored enough to prevail, but defense set the tone for Oklahoma State throughout this intense affair.

The accomplishments of Oklahoma State’s defense—particularly in the fourth quarter—can’t possibly be overstated. A unit that hadn’t faced an imposing opponent all season long suddenly had to contend with one of the very best quarterbacks in the United States. After playing hard—but still needing some fortuitous turns of events—to keep Missouri at bay through the first three quarters, this defensive unit had to play even harder when all the chips sat on the table in a crunch-time. Amazingly yet admirably, the studs from Stillwater stood tall. They turned back Daniel decisively, forcing not one, but two interceptions from the supreme signal caller who became shaky in the game’s most important moments. Daniel dazzled for most of this evening, and his receivers are ultimately to blame for most of Mizzou’s mistakes. But when the outcome of this contest hung in the balance, it was Daniel who blinked. Oklahoma State’s defense—with poise, power and pass-rush pressure—rose up to rattle a man who hasn’t buckled many times in his storied Missouri career.

Oklahoma State’s defense, up and down the line, shook an unshakable quarterback in a moment of truth. That, in a nutshell, explains why Mike Gundy’s crew has a chance to do big things in the second half of this season.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: LSU-Florida </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Oct 11, 2008

Sluggish and sloppy for the first several games of 2008, the Florida Gators had to throw a big coming-out party against the defending national champions if they were to announce their re-emergence on the national scene. Safe to say, the confetti flew and the balloons were bountiful on Saturday night in the Swamp, as Florida staged a bash that left the LSU Tigers wondering what hit them.

After a crushing loss to Ole Miss a few weeks earlier, Tim Tebow—the reigning Heisman Trophy winner—apologized to his team and fan base, resolving to do far better over the remainder of this season. Against the team that denied him SEC glory a year ago, in what was arguably 2007’s best individual game, Tebow responded with a proud precision performance that established the Gators as the team to beat in the SEC East. While Vanderbilt faltered and Georgia struggled past Tennessee in a surprisingly competitive game, Florida flexed its muscles and showed off its speed in a dominating display against Les Miles’ men.

This trouncing of the Tigers took place for a number of reasons—that will be the case when anyone rings up more than half-a-hundred points against a club with LSU’s pedigree and credentials—but it started with the front lines. On both sides of the ball, the Gators dominated in the trenches. Defensively, they took away LSU’s vaunted running game with Charles Scott, limiting the bold bruiser to 16 yards on 11 carries. Offensively, Florida’s hogs gave Tebow all the protection he needed while opening up running lanes on the edges. Continuing to employ a perimeter-based and speed-focused running attack that began to be unwrapped against Arkansas the week before, Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen watched with glee as his linemen performed their part. Speed merchants Jeffrey Demps and Chris Rainey combined for 185 yards between them on a night when the Gators rolled up an astonishing 265 yards against a defense of LSU’s caliber. If you focused on the front lines alone, you’d have gained enough of an explanation for this awesome annihilation of the part of the home team.

Once the front lines fire off the ball, though, the playmakers still have to take care of the rest, and everyone in the Florida fold did their job on Saturday. Tebow distributed the wealth in a subtle but surgical and supremely satisfying showcase. Receiver Percy Harvin caught six balls for 112 yards—roughly 19 yards per catch—and two touchdowns. Whatever the Gators wanted to do, they did. Whatever LSU tried to do, it didn’t work, except for a seven-minute stretch bridging the end of the first half and the beginning of the second, when a quick 14-0 run brought LSU back from a 20-0 deficit. And when the Gators began to feel the Tigers on their heels at that early stage of the third quarter, Tebow promptly led a touchdown march that immediately restored order. LSU wouldn’t make another credible response for the rest of the evening.

Alabama has established itself as the best of the SEC West. Saturday in the Swamp, Florida put the “Gains” in Gainesville, as the Gators stamped themselves as the beast of the SEC East. With more performances like this one—and no more letdowns such as the Ole Miss-ed opportunity that went begging on Sept. 27—Urban Meyer’s club could climb the heights before this season’s through.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Penn State-Wisconsin </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
Staff Columnist
Posted Oct 11, 2008

Very early in the second half of Saturday night's matchup in Madison, Wis., two football teams stood virtually even in total yardage. But while both Penn State and Wisconsin covered almost the same amount of real estate, JoePa's boys had already accumulated a 31-7 advantage. On a night when stats lied, the truth became known: Penn State will contend for the Big Ten championship.

Just two minutes into the third quarter at Camp Randall Stadium, the yardage scoreboard read 184-156 in favor of Penn State. Yet, the point scoreboard showed a margin of 24. How did Penn State dominate in the only important number while not blowing away the Badgers in terms of pure offensive firepower? Simply stated, special teams and timely turnovers told the tale.

There wasn’t any guesswork involved in analyzing this quick killing of a Wisconsin team whose season has become a solemn march of misery and melancholy. The Badgers put forth a commendable effort, and Penn State didn’t bring its very best game to the ballpark, a scary thought for Ohio State and anyone else who stands in the way of this proven pigskin powerhouse. Yet, in the blink of an eye, the visitors from Happy Valley had the playmaking studs who could turn on the afterburners and run the Badgers ragged.

Derrick Williams—as in his performance against Illinois a few weeks earlier—returned a punt for a touchdown to bust open this Big Ten battle. On another punt, the mere threat of Williams helped lead to a shank that set up a short field and a Nittany Lion field goal. And in a third and separate situation, a Wisconsin fumble—by beleaguered quarterback Allan Evridge inside his own 20—led to another immediate score by Penn State. The visitors were able to get touchdowns from so many sources that Darryl Clark didn’t need to lead many sustained scoring drives, but on a few occasions, he did break loose on the perimeter while also spreading the ball to his receivers. A little Williams plus a little Clark and a little Wisconsin futility led to a scoreboard blowout despite the nearly even yardage totals.

Penn State passed its first night-game road test in the Big Ten. A home win over Michigan next week is the only thing standing in the way of a perfect conference record for this team when it travels to Ohio State on Oct. 25. With all the weapons at their disposal—displayed with might on this night in Madison—the Nittany Lions won’t figure to be outgunned when they duel with the Buckeyes, in a game that seems likely to decide the 2008 Big Ten title.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Just When You Think.....

from Behind enemy lines - A Huskerh8er's view of the world by AJ
Looking back on the day…we should have seen it coming. I mean...Oklahoma… a team with more talent than God, had no business allowing Colt McCoy to go up and down the field in the second half. Hell, even the Texas running game came alive out of nowhere…something that hadn’t really happened the past few weeks. But alas, the game proves why it is so great…with twists and turns from every direction leave you wondering just how in the hell you could miss such inconsistancies. I mean good lord....USC loses to Oregon State? Florida lost to Ole Miss? Where does it end and what do we make of all this? How can ANYBODY predict anything regarding this crazy game?

First…let’s start with you.

You all had a very nice game. In fact, I was almost ready to politely applaud your effort against a lifeless, overrated and completely bored Texas Tech team…which let’s face it…probably didn't even watch film on you after that horrific effort against Mizzou last week. But alas, the Red Raiders couldn’t do what even San Jose State did a good job at..and that was keep the Hick running game down while forcing Ganz to throw on 3rd down. (Seriously...even Western Michigan and New Mexico State had some success at knocking Marlon Lucky down.)

Unfortunately for Leach and company, they weren’t able to keep the horrifically pathetic Husker running game in check, at least for less than four years at a time...which as a perfect opportunity for Joey Ganz to showcase his rifle right arm and have the game of his life; battling back like a warrior for a huge huge victory.

Ok, so he threw quite possibly the dumbest pass of his life in overtime…but damnit…when your program is being flushed down the toilet, what more can you ask for? But you don’t have time to worry about your own shitty team…because you’re taken aback, celebrating your proxy victory over the evil that colon-thundered you at home just 7 days ago. (I don't recall as much celebration in 1997 after your (split) National Title as I saw when Missouri went down in a thriller tonight in Columbia.

So, as for Missouri…I’m not sure where you read such a thing…but I don’t recall predicting a Mizzou national championship. I didn’t count on an undefeated season, a Chase Daniel slam-dunk Heisman nor did I think any sort of easy victory over Okie State was on tap. But, since your own team sucks and you now root against every team above you (Trust me, I know how this works)…let’s break it down. (By the way...if Mizzou beats Texas next weekend...which let's face it...anything can happen this season...they'll be right back in the thick of things)

I’m not sure what Mike Gundy did to his defense, but the pressure the Pokes put on Daniel won the game. I’m not going to lie to you..I’m not some sort of offensive line guru, but I’d like to know how the same offensive line that allowed Daniel to make a four course meal in the pocket while in Lincoln last week could allow that much pressure. Perhaps Okie State is just that good or the Husker front four just sucks that bad. Not sure…but props to Okie State. They outplayed the Tigers in almost every part of the game. They deserve all the credit they can get...I was very very impressed. (especially considering how young they are)

Also, not sure what was wrong with Jeremy Maclin, but he was out of sync all night. You never know whether it is the scheme against him or if he was injured or just having a really crappy night…but regardless, the Cowboys did a great job of taking him out of the game.

Hell, I even thought the Mizzou defense did great at times, but had a hard time stopping the counter draw…which is ironic because it’s the same damn play their own offense runs. They stopped OSU when they had to and gave the offense a chance to win….but in the most ironic of situations, Daniel fires an interception where he is completely screened by the defender…just as Van Alexander’s pick on Joey Ganz last week was caused by a lineman blocking the defender within his vision.

Game over. That's life.

So in the end…Oklahoma has a loss. USC has a loss. Ohio State has a loss. LSU has a loss..hell Florida lost at home to an Ole Miss team that is light years behind what Oklahoma State brings. But in the end, you have to give credit where credit is due, and Mizzou got caught either looking ahead or looking behind…the true definition of a trap game between two circled dates on their pre-season calendar.

I’m pretty sure the world will go on…the Huskers will continue to get blown out and/or moral victories over teams that are too bored to even try…and their fans…well; you people will continue to show me that you are exactly who I thought you were.

Nothing has changed tonight. Your program has lost three straight games. Your players still make idiotic penalties at horrible times. (2 more personal fouls? No...you're not dirty) Your coach is still a massive crybaby without any clue of how to act on a sideline. But in the end..it’s still a great game and a great time of the year.

Can’t wait to see what happens next.

Hell, at this rate, BYU and Tulsa will be battling it out in Miami. Don’t laugh..they may be the only ones left standing.

More to come....

College Football Insanity Continues, Nation's No. 1, 3 and 4 Teams Fall

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
Filed under: LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, General CFB Insanity
oklahoma-disappointment-240.jpg
Last weekend was nice, right? You mowed the lawn. Maybe ran some errands. College football was quiet. Then boom! this weekend happens and it's back to the insanity of a few weeks ago and the entirety of the 2007 season.

No. 5 Texas took down No. 1 Oklahoma in a big way today, winning 45-35 behind a dogged second-half showing. No. 2 Alabama had the decency to sit this week out while No. 3 LSU was taken to the woodshed by Florida in The Swamp 51-21. Elsewhere, No. 4 Missouri now shoulders that "fraud" albatross after Oklahoma State slowed down Chase Daniel and emerged victorious 28-23.

For good measure, No. 7 Texas Tech barely survived a home scare against lowly Nebraska, winning in overtime 37-31.

You know what this means?

Paranoia. Alabama, Texas, Penn State, USC, BYU and Georgia by virtue of victories today are now on upset watch, that's what it means. And when half of them lose in the coming weeks, then what?

I can't stress it enough, these upsets make for great TV but only cloud the title picture and if they happen enough, create second and third opportunities for teams that probably should have been out of the title race (ahem, LSU last year with two losses). How much disorder should we tolerate?

Finally, a return on T. Boone Pickens' investment in Okie State

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-869471477-1223782620.jpg
Oklahoma State 28, Missouri 23. Dadgummit, Boone Pickens set out to buy hisself a champin'ship footbaw team, and them Cowboys all of a sudden look like they're steady on their way to the big time. Ooooo-wee! Who needs another billion dollars when you pick off Chase Daniel three times in the second half? Upsetting' the number three team in the dang country on the road --that's what T-Boone's payin' for, boys! Yeeeeeehaw!

Demise of Auburn Continues

from Track Em Tigers by crashmattb
Where does our program go from here? I wanted to be optimistic this week thinking that cutting lose Franklin would bring our team together and all focus would be on kicking lowly Arkansas's butt. Instead, we just got embarrassed by another inferior team. By the way, here's a stat that shows why we shouldn't have even been in this game...Arkansas outgained Auburn 416 to 193 yards tonight. I also ask this, can Tuberville survive this type of season?

Penn State wins, 48-7!

from Zombie Nation by Mike 2
Penn State just blasted Wisconsin tonight in Madison. Here's some initial thoughts. I'll have the full review tomorrow.

The Good: The defense really showed up tonight. In a hostile environment like Camp Randall, you have to keep the opposing offense out of synch. Penn State did that tonight with a great pass rush, and the help of guys like Lydell Sargeant (2 picks). Aaron Maybin established himself as a First Team Big Ten selection, and if he keeps this pace, should be All America. On the offensive side, there were no big mistakes after the first possession. Evan Royster, the line, and the receivers all played great. But Daryll Clark IS Penn State right now. The first drive of the second half really defined this game for Penn State, driving down the field like a machine for a TD. Derrick Williams could just be the best return man Penn State’s ever had. Oh, and who is that No. 23 kicker kid? Can’t be Kevin Kelly, right?

The Bad: The first drive of the game, Penn State looked very shaky. That can’t happen at Ohio State. Derrick Williams dropped an almost sure TD, and Clark fumbled the snap on the next play. On defense, I wasn’t at all happy with the 85-yard drive Wisconsin put together in the second quarter. Allen Evridge should escape the pocket and get so many yards against PSU, but he did. Think Terrelle Pryor will have much trouble doing that?

Overall: This was a great win on the road in one of the toughest places to play. The offense looked like a championship-caliber unit, while the defense looked even better. Penn State hasn’t been this impressive through the first seven games since 1994. I’m not exaggerating. 1999, 1997, 1986 and the rest can’t compare to the complete dominance Penn State has exercised over its first seven opponents in 2008. I know there are a lot more games to play, but I’m getting really excited.

I Will Never Understand This Team

from The Futon Report by Matt Sussman
87665dude-wtf-posters1z.jpg
Just to see if I have this straight:
Points vs. Eastern Michigan at home in four quarters: 21.
Points vs. Akron in the final quarter: 23.
Oh, and EMU lost to Army, who lost to Temple by 28, who lost to Central Michigan by 10, who lost Dan LeFevour to injury at halftime.
And somewhere NIU beats Miami, WMU trips up Buffalo in overtime, nobody noticed Ohio-Kent State, and I haven’t even mentioned ranked Ball State’s win over Western Kentucky.
Hell, that’s a pretty solid MACSploitation recap if you needed one. Consider my work finished for the weekend. Now to go and rattle off 32 straight live blogs.

BYU Just Wants All Poll Voters to Focus on the Final Score

Filed under: Brigham Young, New Mexico, Mountain West
mhall.jpg
BYU beat New Mexico 21-3 in Provo, and they hope that most voters don't get the Mtn Network. The Cougars struggled most of the game against the very average Lobos. At halftime, it was only 7-3 in favor of BYU, and it wasn't until late in the 4th quarter that they salted the game away.

BYU's offense gets most of the attention, but in this game it was their defense that led the Cougars. They held the second leading rusher in the Mountain West, Rodney Ferguson, to 90 yards on 28 carries.

As it got into the 4th quarter, New Mexico put together its best drive. It looked like they scored to bring the game to within 5 points pending the extra point. Instead, the play was nullified by a very questionable block in the back call that was behind the play.

New Mexico turned the ball over on downs and BYU to their credit drove it 76 yards for the score to put the game out of reach. Still, for the high scoring BYU team, this was their lowest scoring output of the season.

UCF players aren't telling the 'Canes 'Miami's No. 1!'

Scroll down or click here to join the Doc's weekly game day live blog.Miami was winning mythical championships before Central Florida football existed, and as Lamar Thomas so helpfully informed us back in 2006, nobody comes into Miami's house and disses the Canes. Even if that house is the [Insert Soon-to-be-Bankrupt Corporation Here] Stadium and has a baseball diamond on it, instead of the murky old O.B. It's the spirit of the thing that matters.
You'd think a Miami native like Darin Baldwin would have an instinctive respect for the aura of the U, and that he'd impart that esteem to his UCF teammates. Instead, contemporary mores (that is, advertisement-driven corporate oversight) won't even allow me to show the gestures the mohawk'd Baldwin and fellow DB Joe Burnett were caught directing at the Canes during the third quarter of UCF's loss this afternoon -- not before the jump, anyway:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-489313902-1223769930.jpg

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-836416297-1223769902.jpg
Oh, shocking business on the UCF sideline, indeed. Won't Baldwin and Burnett please think of the children?!
Rest assured, George O'Leary will <strike>run them so hard</strike> give both of these young men a stern, Jersey Catholic talking-to. You can try to physically humiliate a man on dozens of short, violent encounters; that's all in the game. But then directing empty gestures in their direction? For shame, Knights. For shame.

Best Signs On ESPN College Gameday- Dallas

from Football Jesus Las Vegas by sportsjesus

Sponsored by: Funny Shirts at Shame-U
Well, the Texas Stat Fair is great site for gameday and a great Football Game, But it was really hard to see the signs this wee, those nets ESPN uses to shield Corso from rotten tomatoes, was like having cataracts this week! AND the show was moved into the stadium for the 2nd hour. So any help you have to contribute this week will be appreciated! I saw the WAzzu flag again, Chik Fil A is getting good at their sign placement, and i saw no love for Erin Andrews this week anywhere, perhaps she accepted a proposal that I saw in LA or Vandy- and signed the pre nup. And texas tech is starting to bark, but who have they beaten ? WHERE ARE THE Political signs ? You do know there is a presidential election soon, and KIRK or CORSO are not running!! BTW , guys the coros-Merkin sign i saw was repeat from last year-sorry!
Again these are the best I saw, tell me the best ones I missed!
There will IS STILL REWARD for ANYONE who gets a “FOOTBALL JESUS Las vegas” Sign on TV…or HI football Jesus Blog , be creative! we need a good clear shot of it!!
Here is the list:

• Kirk Herbstreit brought to you by Planet Tan
  • Stoops is a Hockey Mom
  • I had to walk to the fair , Phil Fulmer ate my car
  • Corso Wheres the Neck meat? ( ??)
  • V Slice Burn Barry ( ?)
  • Sam Bradford washed my Car
  • GSU HAIL SOUTHERN
  • UT the way the south was won
  • WE LOVE BOB
  • OU SUX
Thats all i could see clearly, and im not sure of these !!

Laying an Egg and Classlessness

from Illinitalk by Chief
This was a tough Ron Zook-like loss. We win big one week and then turn around and are completely unfocused and lose the next. It reminds me of last year when we beat Penn State and Wisconsin and then travelled to Iowa City and laid an egg. By the way, I'm not sure I want to whoop it up too much that Michigan lost to Toledo today because that loss sure seems to take some of the shine off our performance in Ann Arbor last weekend, even though we beat them handily.

Today we had stupid mistakes early that cost us momentum and I didn't think it looked like we wanted it as bad as Minnesota did, either. We were not crisp and were outplayed by a team we clearly should have handled. It wasn't a gimme win but we should have won.

As for my feelings about the folks on the opposite sideline, this was obviously a big game for Tim Brewster coming back to play against his alma mater. If I recall correctly, Brewster was on Ron Guenther's short list for the head coaching vacancy at Illinois a couple years back. However, Guenther chose Ron Zook over Brewster so it wouldn't surprise me if Brewster wanted this one to show Guenther and the Illini Nation what he can do as a coach.

Call me unimpressed, despite the win.

Why?

The punch Gopher DE William Van De Steeg threw at Benn (ESPN showed it on replay plenty of times) and the late hit out of bounds on Juice. That kind of garbage as no place in the game. And of course the irony is that when Van De Steeg put the hit on Juice late in the game that caused the interception, Mr. Van De Steeg shouldn't have still been allowed on the field in the first place.

Despite this, Illinois should have been better prepared for this game, more focused on the field and come away with the win today. Let's hope we do better against Indiana next week.

Arkansas Thanks Auburn for Firing Its Offensive Coordinator

Filed under: Arkansas, Auburn, SEC
tommy-tuberville-press-conference-zoom-180.jpg
Really, it's Christmas in early October when your opponent cans its offensive coordinator midweek. Frustrated Arkansas took the news in stride, piling up 400+ yards in a 25-22 victory over Auburn tonight.

At one point midway through the fourth quarter, Auburn had cobbled together just 109 yards of offense before a pair of desperation drives pushed the Tigers to a whopping 193 yards on the night. Not good.

At College Football FanHouse we're still scratching our heads over Auburn's decision to terminate spread whiz offensive coordinator Tony Franklin. With or without him the results are the same, and look particularly problematic when they may not have actually run much of his offense while he was there. To Auburn's credit, they did make use of spread-friendly quarterback Kodi Burns.

Burns rewarded them with their only offense of the night. Powerback Ben Tate gained just 32 yards on the ground and erstwhile starting quarterback Chris Todd completed just three of 10 pass attempts for 18 yards and an interception.

Burns threw a pair of interceptions, but also picked up 38 yards on the ground and another 119 through the air (6.6 average -- hey, it's an improvement). Without him Auburn stares at a sub-100 yard performance against one of the SEC's worst teams.

So no, Toomer's Corner will not get the toilet paper tonight, Tiger fans will not rest easy and we can only assume megabooster Bobby Lowder is making another run at damaged goods Bobby Petrino who pretends to actually care about running a functional offense.

Kirk Ferentz Is Just Plain Ornery

Filed under: Indiana, Iowa, Big 10
kirk-ferentz-180-sm-2.jpg
He's a sneaky one, that Kirk Ferentz. He seems almost Mister Rogersish with his low-key demeanor and his dry sense of humor. You'd have a much easier time believing he was the chair of the English department at some small liberal arts college, not a coach in a BCS conference.

Let it be said, however, that the man is now responsible for not one but two of the cockiest decisions I've ever seen a head coach make. The first happened four years ago, when he took an intentional safety against Penn State, effectively telling Joe Paterno "You're not going to get the ball in field goal range." Ferentz put the Hawkeyes' fate on the backs of his defense, and they responded. They picked off Michael Robinson on the very first play.

The second happened in today's Iowa-Indiana game. It's hardly a secret that Ferentz has been on every hot-seat list from coast to coast and in all four corners of the Internet. Iowa fans in the know, however, have been aiming the poison arrows at Ken O'Keefe, Ferentz's offensive coordinator and long-time friend. (O'Keefe gave Ferentz his first job in coaching, at a Connecticut prep school.) Ferentz has heard his critics, and today he answered them.

The situation: With around three minutes to play, Iowa was up 38-9 and facing 4th and 5 on the Indiana 25. Now, Iowa's been on both the right and wrong sides of improbable last-minute comebacks, but being up by four scores with three minutes left is generally considered a safe lead. Normal protocol in these circumstances dictates that you try the field goal.

Ferentz went for the first down instead. The Hawkeyes converted on an 11-yard pass from Jake Christensen (Iowa's second-string quarterback) to Marvin McNutt (Iowa's third-string quarterback). Four plays later, Jewel Hampton punched it in from the 1 to make it 45-9. It was Hampton's third touchdown of the day.

Call it what you will. You can say Ferentz ran up the score on the Hoosiers. You can say that he was trying to build confidence in an offense that needed more confidence. You can say that he wanted to show his critics that Iowa's offense is indeed capable of converting tough plays. You can say that he wanted to show those same critics that Iowa's playbook has more than three pages. You can say all four of those things and not be wrong about any of them.

One more thing you can say: For one week, nobody gets to talk crap about the Iowa offense. With the Hawkeyes headed into a home game with Wisconsin next week, that's what Kirk Ferentz needed the most, and he got it.

Mister Rogers would've kicked the field goal, however. If I rooted for IU, I'd be ticked.

Notre Dame Can Stop Worrying About Being Ranked in the Top 25

Filed under: Notre Dame, UNC, ACC
north-carolina-notre-dame.jpg
Leading up to the game with North Carolina, Notre Dame fans were voicing their displeasure that their team was 4-1 and unranked. This was the first time the Irish have been4-1 and unranked. Well, North Carolina made that point moot today with a 29-24 victory. And they had a lot of help from Notre Dame not being able to hold on to the ball. Notre Dame turned the ball over five times, while the Tar Heels had zero turnovers.

Irish quarterback, Jimmy Clausen had a strong day passing the ball for 384 yards and two touchdowns. But one of his two interceptions was taken back for a touchdown. That play, at the start of the third quarter tuned the momentum of the game. From then on out, North Carolina looked and played like the better team, outscoring Notre Dame 20-7 in the second half.

On the next to last play of the game, Clausen hit Michael Floyd for 24 yards at the North Carolina 19. Floyd fumbled the ball on the play and North Carolina recovered. With the crowd going wild and both teams walking on to the field to shake hands, the play was reviewed for what seemed like 10 minutes before a ruling that the play on the field stood. It was a weird scene waiting for the results, and kept the final outcome in question with Notre Dame so close. But the luck of the Irish ran out today, and Notre Dame fans can go back to worrying about things other than their team being ranked.

North Carolina, on the other hand is right in the mix for a shot at the ACC title game. With Virginia, NC State, Duke, and Maryland still on the schedule, things are certainly looking up. Also, with backup turned starter Cameron Sexton coming on strong at quarterback and not making mistakes while moving the team, questions about the offense might be put to rest.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Notre Dame-North Carolina </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
Staff Columnist
Posted Oct 11, 2008

On a crazy play at the end of a wildly entertaining game, two teams’ fates hung in the balance. After several agonizing minutes of nail-chewing nervousness, a ruling came down that was as complicated as the play itself. All North Carolina will care about, though, is the fact that the Tar Heels overcame adversity—and several Irish advantages—to make a great year even greater in Chapel Hill.

On a day that belonged to Carolina quarterback Cameron Sexton—a former third-stringer who has played like a No. 1 signal caller since he stepped under center—the outcome of this intersectional encounter wasn’t decided until the replay booth weighed in with two seconds left in regulation (and that’s a technicality to be explained shortly). Sexton’s heroics represented the best and biggest feel-good story of this fireworks-filled festival, but the ins and outs of the final, fateful play demand a complete explanation. The conclusion to this tense tussle was that confusing.

Let’s set the scene in a darkened Kenan Stadium. With 11 seconds left in regulation, the Irish, trailing 29-24, faced a 4th and 13 at the UNC 33, with no timeouts at their disposal. Usually, a play from the 33 will not take 11 seconds to run, so it stood to reason that Notre Dame—with a first down inside the UNC 20--could have run a second play in those frantic final seconds.

On the 4th and 13 play, Irish quarterback Jimmy Clausen—who made only one really crushing mistake all day, a pick-six early in the third quarter that helped Carolina change its fortunes—threw a 24-yard pass to receiver Michael Floyd, who caught the pass inside the UNC 10 with—as replays would eventually show—five seconds left. This is where the wildness entered the building.

After the two timeouts that preceded the play (one by each team), Floyd—along with every other Notre Dame receiver—should have understood the needs of the given situation. With a catch in the field of play, good for a first down but short of the end zone, Floyd should have immediately kneeled on the ground to stop the play and give his team one shot from the Carolina 9. But Floyd kept fighting for extra yardage, and only when his progress was stopped did he try to lateral the ball in a last-ditch attempt to keep the game alive. Had Floyd exercised better judgment, his team would have gained a legitimate chance of winning. That lapse, however, only marked the beginning of the insanity.

In a nightmare for any crew of officials and replay reviewers, a supremely complex play took place with just one second left on the clock. Notre Dame’s offensive unit frantically scrambled to the line of scrimmage, and—with that one second still on the clock—initiated another scrimmage play. Clausen spiked the ball, but naturally, not in time to get another play. Clausen’s only choice, with one second left, was to run a play for the end zone. With two seconds on the clock, a stoppage with one second left was plausible, but with only one second left, Notre Dame had to run a play for the victory instead of hoping to stop the clock. When that ball was snapped and then spiked into the turf, the game—by all rights—should have been over from a certain narrow and legalistic perspective. By rule, the game was done, and Carolina coach Butch Davis shook Charlie Weis’s hand to indicate as much.

This game wouldn’t end so easily. Legalism was tempered by an appeal to justice, in a development that law students from these two schools could debate for a long time to come (maybe when classes resume on Monday in Chapel Hill and South Bend).

After a morning in which the Texas-Oklahoma game suffered because of two baffling decisions to not review plays by means of replay, the crew in this game did the fair and honorable thing by reviewing Floyd and the fumble that may or may not have been. Here’s what the replay crew and the officials had to sort out: It wasn’t a short list of considerations.

First of all, Floyd caught the ball at the UNC 7 before being pushed back to the 9. If the officials had viewed that Floyd’s forward progress had been stopped, they could have ruled that no fumble occurred on the play, whether or not Floyd’s knee touched the ground before the ball came loose. That was one aspect of the play the officials seemed to miss.

Secondly, Floyd’s knee did appear to be down before he let go of that intentional lateral. Yes, the ball shifted around in Floyd’s hands a few moments earlier, but the receiver seemed to regain a firm hold on the football before his lateral. Impact with the ground clearly preceded his lateral, but the replay booth felt otherwise, and UNC gained the ball with (technically) two seconds left, only to then run out the clock and make the victory certain. That aspect of this fateful decision also appeared to be in error.

Nevertheless, while the specific aspects of this decision shafted Notre Dame, the larger and longer view suggested that all these events never should have taken place, because when the Irish spiked the ball after Floyd’s catch, the game—by rule—was over. The worst aspect of the officiating crew’s performance was that it didn’t go to the booth in time to give clarity and cleanliness to this cluttered conclusion. Had that last ball-spike not occurred, the controversial ruling on Floyd’s fumble would have occurred under more legitimate circumstances.

As an addendum to the crazy climax of this contest—which, in a narrow sense, deprived Notre Dame of one try from the UNC 9—Carolina fans can rightfully point out that an earlier replay ruling is precisely what allowed this game to be decided in the final seconds.

With 1:47 left in the fourth quarter and the Tar Heels trying to get one first down to seal the outcome, Sexton—who brought his team back from a number of deficits with fearless football and awesome execution under pressure—lofted a perfect pass to Brooks Foster inside the Irish 30. In a play amazingly similar to Lamont Robinson’s denied interception of Colt McCoy in the Oklahoma-Texas tilt, Foster caught the ball and then landed hard on the ground. A split second after hitting the turf, Foster half-rolled on his side, only for the ball to come loose at that late point. The fact that contact with the turf did not immediately produce a loss of possession should have enabled the catch to stand. Only in cases of an instantaneous loss of possession should an incomplete pass be ruled.

It’s rare when one play demands so much scrutiny, but in the case of this afternoon’s Tar Heel triumph, it was worthwhile to give maximum attention to a mesmerizing gridiron mystery.

Meet the new Auburn, slightly worse than the old Auburn

Scroll down or click here to join the Doc's weekly game day live blog.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-202144648-1223771054.jpg
Arkansas 25, Auburn 22. Look, folks, Auburn doesn't need some fancy spread guru to grind its offense to a complete halt in an uninspiring win over the SEC's most hopeless bottom dwellers. The Tigers are perfectly capable of that all on their own -- where Alabama, Texas and Florida ripped the Razorback defense into tiny ribbons, in fact, Auburn will fail three times inside the 10-yard line with the game on the line and put up new season lows:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-472372835-1223771107.jpg
The majority of those numbers came in the fourth quarter; at the end of the third, the Tigers had five first downs and 86 total yards. After a first quarter kickoff return, Auburn's offensive scoring "drives" covered -3, 36 and 24 yards. And Tony Franklin laughed and he laughed.
Also: 415 yards and 25 points to Arkansas? Maybe Paul Rhoades is on notice, too.
- - -
Photo of Kodi Burns via the Associated Press.

Texas-Missouri set for 7 p.m.

from Bevo Beat
Next Saturday’s Texas-Missouri game at Royal-Memorial Stadium will be played at 7 p.m. and televised by ABC. That announcement was made this evening after Texas’ win over No. 1 Oklahoma.
The Texas-Missouri game could be another top-five matchup, depending on how the Tigers fare tonight against Oklahoma State.

Now we gotta see if GameDay comes.

<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr><td class="cc c">Tennessee looks very, very Tennessee in Athens

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-500960158-1223767194.jpg
Georgia 26, Tennessee 14. Tennessee wasn't expected to win at Georgia, and was significantly outplayed for the vast majority of the loss. But there was a specific sequence in the second quarter that summed up the Vols' 0-3 conference start with a neat little bow. Off a rare big play and subsequent touchdown to cut Georgia's lead to 13-7 with two minutes to go in the half, Tennessee had UGA backed up at its own 3 when the Bulldogs' booted the ensuing kickoff. Georgia's goal at this point is just to get out from its own goal line, make a first down or two, and take the clock down to halftime hanging on to a shaky-looking six-point lead.
Matt Stafford completed one pass for a first down to the UGA 19, then another to the UGA 33 with about a minute to play. From there, it's clock-killin' time -- unless Tennessee, say, hands the Dawgs a free 15 yards to midfield, which it proceeds to do when Demetrice Morley is hit with a personal foul penalty for a lick on a streaking receiver after the ball sailed over his head. Two plays later, Stafford hit Demeko Goodman for an 18-yard gain, at the end of which he was slung down out of bounds, drawing a second 15-yarder in three plays to move Georgia inside the Tennessee 20. Three plays later, Stafford fired a touchdown to A.J. Green to extend the halftime lead to two touchdowns. By their own hand, the Vols gifted Georgia the chance at a 97-yard touchdown drive, ruined a positive ending to the first half and all but took itself out of a winnable game.
That's a little thing: Tennessee was also outgained by 275 yards and held the ball for less than 18 minutes to Georgia's 42 minutes. The Vols netted one yard rushing for the game. It was only by a pair of Bulldog turnovers that it was only a 12-point margin, and not a humiliating massacre. At this point, that's just the state of Tennessee football, I guess.
- - -
Photo of Nick Stephens via the Associated Press.

</td><td class="cr c">

Phil Fulmer Might Want to Fire His Offensive Coordinator Now

Filed under: Georgia, Tennessee, SEC
phil-fulmer.jpg
Despite an inspired effort by the Tennessee defense, Fulmer and the Volunteers are now 2-4 after a 26-14 loss to Georgia. The culprit in this loss, like all the other losses is the Tennessee offense. Here's some stats to chew on, one yard rushing, 10 first downs, 209 total yards of offense, and not a Krispy Kreme in sight. This is also the third straight game that Tennessee has failed to gain more than 10 first downs. When you consider that Tennessee played Norther Illinois last week, that ain't good. Unfortunately for Fulmer and the Volunteers, David Cutcliff doesn't look to be getting fired anytime soon at Duke.

Earlier this week, Auburn fired their offensive coordinator due to failure to perform. Obviously a move to save Tommy Tuberville's job. Considering that Tennessee fans are calling for Fulmer's firing, it might be the last hope Fulmer will have to save his job. Although there doesn't look to be much hope that even that would improve the sputtering Volunteer offense.

Georgia played well, controlling the clock for nearly 25 minutes longer than Tennessee. They won in every way possible, except in the turnover battle. Where, surprisingly, Tennessee had no turnovers. But when you can't move the ball, holding on to it might do more harm than good.

Ugly

from Block U by JazzyUte

40-7 and yes, it was ugly. Not that Utah played terrible, it was just a very boring game with little offensive excitement, but they won and now sit at 7-0. I'll take it!​
Also, the Cowboys' lone touchdown was out of bounds, so really, the Utes won 40-0. ;)
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
You know the drill, I'll have more on the game tomorrow.​

Championship dance takes a Texas twist

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-787633160-1223757992.jpg
The hardest part of wrapping up a great game is saying something other than, "It was great!" You can get that out of the way in a hurry after today's Shootout: Colt "Not Vince Young" McCoy was great! Jordan Shipley was great! Sam Bradford and his five touchdown passes were great! Quan Cosby and Manuel Johnson were great! It was a prolific game, a weird, dramatic, idiosyncratic game with tipped touchdowns and two-point conversions, phantom penalties in both directions, punches, counterpunches, lead changes and at least one defensive lineman attempting to haul in a touchdown pass. It was a pretty great game. I text-messaged a Texas diehard with the game still very much in doubt, and he confirmed: "College football at its best." It didn't come to the final play, but otherwise, pretty close.
The quarterbacks and receivers were the statistical stars, but the difference in the UT win was in Texas' ability to answer its biggest question mark -- the Longhorns matched up physically with OU and came out ahead on both lines. Chris Ogbannaya and Colt McCoy did enough on the ground to move the ball, and more importantly to keep the ball out of Bradford's hands. Texas outran OU 161 yards to 48, went on two six-minute drives and four of at least four minutes (to Oklahoma's one) and won time of possession by almost an entire quarter's worth of clock. Typically plodding Ogbannaya broke the game open on a 62-yard run that set up Texas' icing touchdown. And as many yards and points as it allowed, UT's defense got Oklahoma off the field on four of its last five possessions, while the offense came from two scores down for the lead.
This was a definitive "make" game for Texas; next week, with Missouri coming to Austin, is either the "break" or the next crown jewel in another unlikely run -- joining Alabama's and Penn State's -- into the mythical championship elite. At some point (like, uh, against Chase Daniel), the defense will have to improve to justify that level of poll existence. For the next day or so, though, UT partisans are allowed to just be happy to be part of college football at its best, again.
As for Oklahoma, there's still half a season for the cards to fall OU's way, and as these frustrated Boomers demonstrate at the end of today's game, plenty of opportunities for seasonal catharses in the meantime:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvgYnjuawpo&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Blowing up a pumpkin in effigy is all in good fun, but really, Texas sucks? Scoreboard, Sooners. Scoreboard.
- - -

Rutgers Remains Just Bad Enough to Lose

Filed under: Cincinnati, Big East
mteel2.jpg
Another Rutgers loss, this time to Cinci in a 13-10 whimper. A game where Cinci had more penalty yards than Rutgers had rushing (115-62).

Rutgers still remains winless on the season versus 1-A teams. In their past 3 losses it has been by a combined 12 points. Close each time, but just not making the plays late. Whether on offense or defense, the Scarlet Knights could not handle the pressure.

Rutgers has major problems on offense. They lack leadership on the team and confidence. Without running back Ray Rice, the running game has not been a threat. Quarterback Mike Teel, continues to show that he cannot handle the pressure of being the focus of the offense. Whether it is poor throws, a lack of touch or accuracy, or holding onto the ball too long to take sacks. The receivers have hardly helped with numerous drops and just not wanting to get the ball.

Credit, though, should be given to a quietly impressive Cinci squad. Despite now being on their third quarterback in six games due to injuries, the Bearcats are 5-1 going into a bye week. They have continued to have a balanced offense and the defense has been a strength. How Coach Brian Kelly isn't mentioned more often on the coaching carousel for jobs sure to come open is a surprise.

Michigan 2008 is officially Notre Dame 2007

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-334902222-1223754539.jpg
Scroll down or click here to join the Doc's weekly game day live blog.Toledo 13, Michigan 10. In retrospect Michigan probably would have rather not beaten Wisconsin two weeks ago. It was thrilling at the time, I'm sure, but if the Wolverines hadn't erased a 19-0 halftime hole, today's collapse against one of the weaker outfits in the MAC -- the first loss in Michigan history to any outfit from the MAC -- would be just the fourth straight loss en route to 1-5, just another insult to a team already at rock bottom. They might have already been dead inside.
Instead, Michigan got the idea from beating the Badgers that maybe it could survive this rebuilding season, after all, and losing to Toledo is the sickening thud, the devastating, unfathomable loss that officially ends whatever threads of hope remained dangling from a rapidly unraveling race to the bottom of the Big Ten.
It's not even the kind of "Well, we outplayed them, and if a couple plays go the other way ... " sort of loss you'd guess it takes for Michigan to lose to Toledo. Even with the Rockets' 101-yard interception return in the first quarter, their only touchdown, the Wolverines were outgained on top of turning the ball over three times. After the killer, highlight interception early, Nick Sheridan came on for Steven Threet and threw two more. The decisive missed field goal, at the end of Michigan's longest drive of the day, would have only extended a day of misery.
So, yeah, it's a rebuilding year. Yeah, the offense is like all freshmen. Rich Rodriguez does not have to worry about his job a year into the thing. Michigan is still much, much worse than anyone expected, and not getting better in any apparent way. It's at an historical low rivaling what Notre Dame endured with similar turnover in the lineup last year. Extending the thousand-year bowl streak is a virtual impossibility; from here on, it's just about avoiding a complete, irredeemable last-place collapse. Today, on the heels of a 25-point loss to an Illinois team that subsequently went down at home to Minnesota, makes even the bare minimum of dignity seem like a pretty distant goal.

Michigan's Painful Transition Continues

Filed under: Michigan, Toledo, Big 10, MAC
rrodmich1.jpg
The growing pains of completely changing the style of offense at Michigan continues, with an extra emphasis on the pain portion. This time the Wolverines saw a 24-game winning streak against MAC opponents snapped. Michigan lost at home to Toledo, 13-10.

The Wolverines actually had a chance to tie the game and send it into overtime, but K.C. Lopata gakked a 26-yard field goal with 9 seconds left, guaranteeing Michigan a return to Schadenfreude.

While Michigan wasn't as cosmically mistake riddled as in the Notre Dame game, they made enough big mistakes to cost them. The biggest without question happened midway through the 1st quarter.

Toledo fumbled the snap and Michigan was able to recover. That set up the offense at the Toledo 33. After six consecutive rushes, it was 2nd and goal at the 5. Steven Threet's throw off his back foot went to Tyrell Herbert in the endzone. Herbert, however, plays for Toledo and took it the other way for a 100 yard pick-six.

That was the only Toledo touchdown of the day. Otherwise, while Toledo accumulated over 300 yards of offense, they could only manage 6 more points.

Michigan had a 10-7 lead at the half, but Michigan Coach Rich Rodriguez pulled QB Steven Threet in the second half in favor of Nick Sheridan, a walk-on sophomore. Sheridan threw two picks, though, to be fair they both went off the hands of the Michigan receivers.

The missed Michigan field goal at the end probably spares Toledo Coach Tom Amstutz a lot of second-guessing for going for a 4th and 2 at the Michigan 32 with 1:37 left in the game. Rather than safely punting it and making sure Michigan had to start from at worst the 20, and probably taking a little more time off the clock, they through a screen for no gain. That gave Michigan better field position and a little more momentum with the stop.

Good Offense or Bad Defense?

Filed under: Oklahoma, Texas, BCS, Big 12, General CFB Insanity
quan-cosby.gif

Whenever you have a game like Oklahoma-Texas, you have a number of varying reactions.

Obviously, no one is going to knock the entertainment value. The up-and-down, back-and-forth nature of such games is riveting. You can't beat the atmosphere of the Cotton Bowl for this rivalry game. It has everything you're looking for.

Except for defense.

Yes, Texas got some key stops down the stretch. They won 45-35, in large part, because their defense got those stops. But those stops wouldn't have been so key if they hadn't failed to field a defense for the better part of three quarters.

Of course, Oklahoma's crime was worse. That's why they are going to pay dearly for it, while Texas stays perfect.

Fact of the matter is that Texas only won because their defense showed up for one quarter.

Doesn't say much about Oklahoma's, does it?

It seems to be a trend with Big 12 teams. Kansas' defense wilted against Missouri last year, then Missouri's defense put up a FAIL against Oklahoma. Oklahoma, of course, had that epic meltdown against West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl.

Texas has never been known for great team defense. They play high-scoring games all the time, which is great for entertainment. However, it's not normally conducive to winning national championships.

That's the issue in the Big 12 right now. No one is playing enough defense on a consistent basis to win a national title.

Credit these coaches. They're trying. Kansas had a good defense last year before it got blown up by Missouri. Oklahoma's defense allowed three first-half points all year before today. Texas hired Will Muschamp to run the defense this year.

It's just not working.

Every year, we see this formula. It ended well for Texas in 2005, but that's an anomaly. There isn't one team in this league that's playing good defense right now. Missouri is probably the closest, but as of this writing, the only team that tested their defense - Illinois - scored 42 points and lit it up. So the jury's out, at best, heading into their game against a potent Oklahoma State offense tonight.

Offense is great. Don't get me wrong. And I enjoyed today's Texas-Oklahoma game. And I'm not here to pour a bucket of cold water on it. 45-35 beats 7-6 pretty much any day. But bad defense is bad defense, and I saw a lot of it today.

Going forward, it's worth mentioning, because it's going to be a huge problem for everyone in the Big 12 until someone figures it out.

West Virginia Wins Despite Bill Stewart

Filed under: Syracuse, West Virginia, Big East
bill-stewart-can-haz-ball.jpg
Yes, Bill that is a football. When you have it you should try to move it forward.

West Virginia came into today's game with Syracuse as a 24 point favorite. But somehow managed to keep the game much closer. The Mountaineers pulled away late thanks to a 92 yard run by Noel Devine to win 17-6. However, for most of the game, Bill Stewart willed his offense to three and out after three and out.

Coming into the season, Stewart was quick to poke fun at former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez and his love of the bubble screen. A play that drew the ire of Mountaineer fans for it's lack of production. But today, with Jarrett Brown filling in for the injured Pat White, West Virginia threw more bubble screens than I can count. Unfortunately for the Mountaineers, the results were the same. Mostly with little or no gain. On top of his love of a play that should be used as a change of pace rather than a staple, slow developing sweeps dominated the play calling.

The Syracuse defense was more than willing to load up on the edges and just wait for the ball carrier. Allowing Syracuse to outgain the Mountaineers 346-268 in total yards. At one point during the first half, West Virginia fans began booing the play calling. And the boo birds didn't stop until the late run by Devine.

Not to take anything away from Syracuse. They came to play and really dominated in just about every way but the score board. But West Virginia was completely predictable on offense outside of a couple gadget plays that lost more yards than they gained. And in the middle of it all, Bill Stewart rarely had his headset on and actually spoke to anyone even less. He looked to very much be a spectator on the sidelines rather than a first year coach having way more trouble than he should with a slumping Syracuse team. And that translated very well into the kind of day the Mountaineer offense had.

Greg Robinson wasn't without his head scratching moments, though. Late in the third quarter, down 7-6, Syracuse went for it just inside the 50 yard line on fourth and three. In a game that was all about field position, Syracuse gave West Virginia the ball at midfield. A decision that turned into an easy field goal for WVU. Then with the game 10-6 West Virginia, Syracuse drove the ball inside the Mountaineer 10 yard line. On third and eight with about four minutes on the clock, Syracuse called a sweep to the short side of the field that failed miserably. Forcing a forth down pass play that was swatted down.

My eyes are bleeding a little bit from watching this game. I believe offensive football was set back decades for anyone that watched.
Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

And Now For The Best Thing Ever

from The Futon Report by Matt Sussman
Here’s a team that lost by double digits to FIU. No points against Ball State. And at one point, looked like they might not’ve been able to beat any other teams on their schedule, thus solidifying a one-win season and the ripping up of Tom Amstutz’s business cards.
But then:
michiganfanscrying.jpg

Toledo 13, Michigan 10.
Is it okay, fellow BGSU fans, to enjoy this one? Why, yes. Yes it is.
Next week: Watch Toledo lose 61-13 to Central Michigan.

It's Gotten Bad Real Fast for ECU

Filed under: East Carolina, Virginia, ACC, Conference USA
sholtzecu.jpg
Remember a month ago when East Carolina Coach Skip Holtz became the "name" for replacing coaches on the hot seat? Things certainly change quickly. Now, it looks like only Syracuse might be competing with ECU for his services.

Key injuries on defense and now the suspension of the second leading receiver, have the Pirates spiraling. Where there was briefly talk of them being another non-BCS team to compete for a BCS bowl slot, the Pirates have to hope they can win the Conference USA East Division.

They have lost two straight, and are presently getting blown out by Virginia 28-6 at halftime. A team that has only 1-A win, and was blown out by Duke. The Pirates have struggled to move the ball and aren't stopping the Cavs offense. That Virginia has turned the ball over twice in the first half is the only reason the game isn't more lopsided.
Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

ESPN GameDay Red River Shootout Photos: Ladies, Turkey Legs, Cheerleaders, Body Paint And Signs

Published by J Koot at 10:16 am under tailgate

Visited 1290 times, 241 so far today
This was a new expiriment for Busted Coverage.
Actually hire a photographer to chronicle the happenings at the biggest college football game of the weekend. In a single night after putting a listing on Craigslist, we had at least 10 photographers offer to shoot this assignment.
Our guinea pig was Cody, a pro out of Dallas, who somehow got tangled up with this outfit.
The following photos give you a slice of the action outside the 2008 Red River Shootout.

The one obvious from today’s GameDay was the lack of signs.
Cody reports that there just weren’t that many present. We did see the Washington State flag but that goes without saying.
Also, it was disappointing that ESPN went inside the stadium for the final hour of the show. The flavor of GameDay just wasn’t there like is usually is.

Quan Cosby knocks OU defender the heck out!

from Bevo Sports by Brian
cosby_knockedout.gif
Quan Cosby levels Lendy Holmes

The play that had Texas fans up out of their seats screaming the loudest Saturday against Oklahoma didn’t end up being a touchdown. Quarterback Colt McCoy found an open Jordan Shipley across the middle and hit him in stride. Shipley was headed to the end zone for an apparent score when BOOM, fellow receiver Quan Cosby flies in knocks the daylights out of OU’s Lendy Holmes with a bone jarring block.
Shipley ended up being ruled down inside the one yard line, but that didn’t matter as the Horns eventually scored and Cosby’s big hit will be watched over and over by Texas fans for some time.
It was a thing of beauty. Enjoy it with an animated .gif and some YouTube clips:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/20TjzCZoasw&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
Watch a couple more angles of the play after the jump.

The live version…
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaEp1BFNmes&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
And now in slow motion…
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ppv0UJDizCk&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

Intensity and Rock Solid Desire

from Bruins Nation by Telemachus
Bruins lose to the Ducks 31-24. While many will focus on the negatives, I'll focus on the team's progress and positive notes.
First, the most important thing: Terrence Austin left the field giving the "thumb's up" sign after suffering a tough hit:
And it was reported that medical tests were negative and that Austin would travel back home with the team.

On to other positive notes:

• Bruins were 20-point underdogs
  • The fast-start Ducks only had 7 points with 44 seconds left in the first half
  • Bruins outscored the Ducks 24-17 in the second half
  • Bruins led in time-of-possession by over 15 minutes(!) Box Score
  • Our 3rd down efficiency was 9-20 versus 2-13 for the Quackers
  • Bruins total yards of 351 was only 14 yards shy of Oregon's 365
No, this is not a moral victory, nor am I trying to put lipstick on a pig. Regular BN readers know that what we want to see this season is improvement. Yes, there were a lot of ugly things in the game, but no matter what happened, the Bruins kept fighting back. In the post-game interview, Coach Rick said "there was an intensity on our sideline, the was an absolute rock solid desire to come back in this game." CRN hadn't heard (yet) about what had gone on late in the game as described here:<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9MzkyMDEzMDQwJms9OGRYQ1MmYT02MTY2MzYwXzVremJoJnU9VGVsZW1hY2h1cw==" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="282">Popout
Former Bruin James Washington commented on this intensity too:<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9MzkxOTY3MTEyJms9aWRpd1QmYT02MTY2MzYwXzVremJoJnU9VGVsZW1hY2h1cw==" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="282">Popout
Nice to hear the team has fight and doesn't want to meekly accept losses.
While Kevin Craft can be erratic, any doubt that this coaching staff is getting every bit out of him they can? Speaking of Craft, in his post-game interview (below), he mentions the passes he wish he could have back. One in particular was the interception where Terrence Austin was injured. I was struck by how Craft described it as the one where, "[Terrence] ... was trying to make a play for me." He saying he knows his teammates have his back. When Craft makes a bad throw, his receivers aren't going to quit on him, and I sense that's the culture that CRN has brought to the team. They have each other's back.<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9MzkxOTg4ODEzJms9VzU5cFImYT02MTY2MzYwXzVremJoJnU9VGVsZW1hY2h1cw==" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="282">Popout
As I watch Coach Rick's post-game interview (below), he talks about what the team needs to do and I sense that he is a little weary. Certainly understandable after a game we could have won, but I wonder if (some unreasonable) expectations are getting to him. There's been questions about his play-calling raised, and I, for one, "will have his back," until facts prove that I should change my view. I'm not saying that CRN can do no wrong. He's creating a different culture, and I'll live with some of the calls that end up looking bad. Going for that first on-sides kick was a calculated risk. We would have had the ball, if not for an obscure rule of breaking the out-of-bounds plane. He also showed faith in the defense by going for it. It turned out badly, but he's demonstrating his confidence in the team and a sorely needed "playing to win" attitude. <embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9MzkxOTUwNDEzJms9dG9jUkEmYT02MTY2MzYwXzVremJoJnU9VGVsZW1hY2h1cw==" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="318">Popout Go Bruins!

Back