Sunday MLB 15-06-2008

Unicorn

NHL Enthusiast
Hello everyone!

Saturday went as expected, 8-2 on initial leans but considering I haven't actually played/posted anything I'll use that as a moral boost for TODAY.

I've got a pretty good feeling for today, as you'll notice by the amount of money wagered for today. On to today's card.

LA ANGELS (Saunders) @ 1.70 for 14 Units
LA ANGELS (Saunders) -1.5 @ 2.50 for 3 Units
Late game first. The Braves suprised many people by winning on Friday, myself included. But as Jon Garland said after the game, it was a lucky win for them because they hit some balls that usually wouldn't count as a hit. Yesterday I've done my homework for Santana and this young kid Charlie Morton who was 5-2 with 2.05 ERA and .181 BAA in AAA. As I've predicted the Angels struggled with him considering he another unknown guy for them for 2nd night in a row while Santana was going on >5 days rest where he had quite a different numbers (read: not so good). That's why I wrote in Fondy's thread that I'll be against him on his heaviest plays (mainly vs Angels and Milwaukee along with Reds and Dodgers). Anyway, tonight we got Jorge Campillo vs Joe Saunders. As for Campillo - he's been next to awesome for Braves this season - as long as he was in a game, but that's the minus at the same time because he hasn't lasted long enough to quality for a win most of the time. Over his last 3 starts, Campillo has pitched a total of 14.1 innings (less than 5 innings per start) while posting 5.02 ERA and 1.47 WHIP! I take that as some very ugly numbers but considering he was fighting blisters on his pitching hand, it was nothing unusual. Something very important to note here - Campillo will start on long rest tonight (7 days) and who knows what may happen considering all of his starts this season were on 5 days rest. Now something about my favorite Angel, Joe Saunders. Joe has struggled lately, posting a 1-2 7.56 ERA with 1.56 WHIP over his last 3 starts. He had 2 bad starts and 1 quality over that span but interesting and important to know here is this:

- this season, Saunders is 2-0-1 with 2.37 ERA and 1.31 WHIP coming off a bad (non-quality) start!

In addition, Saunders will be pitching on >5 days rest tonight, a situation where he was 5-2 3.63 ERA 1.31 WHIP .238 BAA so far (read: great!). Knowing that Saunders was acting as a team stopper so far in the season, I like him very much in this spot. Another useful information is that tonight's home umpire was HU on 16-06-2008, also a night game where Saunders bounced back from his frist loss of the season (vs Rays, a quality start) and pitched a great game vs Dodgers:

16-05-2008 LAA 4 – LA 2 Saunders vs Kuroda<o></o>
<o></o>
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Joe Saunders bounced back from his lone loss of the year (vs TB) with an impressive performance against the Los Angeles Dodgers.<o></o>

The Angels' left-hander held the Dodgers to two runs on five hits, with two walks and one strikeout.<o></o> "Joe did an outstanding job," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.<o></o>

As for the Angels, they're well known for rarely losing 3 games in a row and considering the Braves struggles vs southpaws (.233 BA .304 OBP 1.9 RPG on road vs LHP this season), I like my Angels to bounce back here. Both Scot Shields and F-Rod should be available for tonight considering either hasn't pitched so far in this series. Because I think they'll try to seal the win before pens are in, I took the RL along with ML.

BOSTON (Beckett) @ 1.70 for 14 Units
BOSTON (Beckett) -1.5 @ 2.00 for 3 Units

My second big play for today, Boston with Beckett. Cincy manager Dusty Baker is imo Cincy's biggest DISadvantage in this series because the way he calls some things doesn't have any sense. Anyway, Beckett will face a team he's known from his old days with Marlins, but unlike the team who roughed him for 0-2 14.14 ERA he's posted against in his career, the present Reds lineup have very little knowledge about him. Just look at this numbers:

Bako 0-for-7
Dunn 1-for-4 (.250)
Patterson 2-for-16 (.125)
Griffey 1-for-3 (.333) with a HR

Considering this will be a DAY game, it's interesting to point out some things. Although Beckett is only 2-2, 5.33 ERA in his day starts this season, his WHIP (0.99) and BAA (.198) are still great. A short look at his past DAY numbers:

- in 2007 Beckett went 9-1 2.53 ERA 1.08 WHIP .229 BAA
- in 2006 Beckett went 6-2 4.21 ERA 1.37 WHIP .222 BAA
- in 2005 Beckett went 4-2 3.43 ERA 1.31 WHIP .226 BAA

It's obvious his DAY numbers were always better than his night numbers while his WHIP and BAA were (and still are) - excellent!

As for Homer Bailey, he's started only in 2 games this season but his lifetime numbers are interesting:

BAILEY lifetime at HOME (vs ROAD):
- 6.75 ERA 1.82 WHIP .296 BAA (vs 4.35 ERA 1.31 WHIP .203 BAA)

BAILEY lifetime in DAY games (vs NIGHT games):
- 7.48 ERA 1.94 WHIP .306 BAA (vs 4.81 ERA 1.43 WHIP .234 BAA)

As for pens, I'll take Sox pen over Reds pen any day of the week and the best example was last night when Red Sox rallied vs their pen to win the game. Also, I like that Sox won last night, because although they're "only" 10-8 in 3rd game overall, they're 9-3 coming off a WIN :)

My other plays for tonight are:

TORONTO/CH.CUBS Over 8.5 @ 1.90 for 3 Units

COLORADO (Cook) @ 2.15 for 3 Units

FLORIDA (Nolasco) @ 2.35 for 3 Units

KANSAS CITY (Meche) @ 2.25 for 3 Units

HOUSTON (Oswalt) @ 2.05 for 4 Units

CLEVELAND (Sabathia) @ 1.65 for 7 Units

Best of luck everyone! :cheers:

Some important stuff for non-explained games.

Jays/Cubs OVER 8.5
- Lilly 5.22 ERA with 1.46 WHIP and .283 BAA in his road starts
- Lilly 5.29 ERA with 1.40 WHIP and .266 BAA in his day starts
- Lilly getting 5+ runs per game of run support in his road/day starts
- Lilly 1.41 WHIP over his L3 starts
- Lilly 5.66 ERA with 1.50 WHIP and .275 BAA on 5 days rest
- Cubs pen on the road have only 56% save pct :)

- Litsch .270 BAA in his home starts
- Litsch 1.69 WHIP over his L3 starts
- Litsch getting 6+ runs per game of run support in his home/day starts
- Litsch 1.42 WHIP and .300 BAA on >5 days rest

- Home Umpire favors Under 8-5 with 7.43 RPG but is 3-2 to Over @ 8.5

--------------------------

Colorado
- Cook 6-1 with 2.55 ERA 1.06 WHIP and .243 BAA on 5 days rest
- Cook getting 6 runs of run support in his road/day starts
- Rockies pen 1.30 ERA over their L10 games

- Contreras have 1.40 WHIP over his L3 starts
- Contreras getting just under 5 runs of run support in his road/day starts

Kansas
- Meche on ROAD and in a DAY game is his perfect spot (~1.30 WHIP ~.255 BAA)
- Meche on 5 days rest averages 1.34 WHIP and .257 BAA
- Meche's both career starts vs Zona were @ ARI (1-0 2.57 ERA)

- Owings 0-2 9.22 ERA with only 13.2 innings pitched and 2.05 WHIP over his L3 starts
- Owins .281 BAA when pitching on 5 days rest along with 6.03 ERA

- Home umpire was 04-05-2008 in the same spot for Meche when he pitched shutout @ CLE and won 2-0 (also Sunday in a day game) :)

Houston
- some quotes from Oswalt's last start:

Roy Oswalt found a cure for his pitching woes in an unlikely place: with hot-hitting Houston Astros teammate Lance Berkman.<o></o>
<o></o>
Oswalt asked Berkman to a bullpen session late last week for advice and on Tuesday the Astros ace looked like his old self and got his first win in almost a month, a 6-1 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers.<o></o>
<o></o>
"I got him to stand in and he told me to do a few things different and it worked out," Oswalt said. <o></o>
"It helped out a lot."<o></o>
<o></o>
Berkman said his advice wasn't anything major, but that it simply helped to have a fresh set of eyes looking at Oswalt's pitches.<o></o>
<o></o>
"After standing in there I just said: 'Look, your stuff is awesome, don't reinvent the wheel. You don't have to come up with some new breaking pitch, just go with what you've won over 100 games with," Berkman said.<o></o>
<o></o>
"It looked like he was a little more of his aggressive self tonight and threw the ball with confidence." <o></o>
<o></o>
Asked if this was Oswalt's best performance of the season, Astros manager Cecil Cooper replied: <o></o>
"Without question. I thought he threw the ball exceptionally well tonight." "He was vintage Roy tonight."<o></o>

Also, some stuff from my notes for this game:

ASTROS vs MARIANO RIVERA:<o></o>
Erstad .417 BA (5-for-12)<o></o>
Lee .273 BA (3-for-11) with a HR<o></o>
Loretta .400 BA (2-for-5)<o></o>
Matsui 1.000 BA (1-for-1)<o></o>
Tejada .261 BA (6-for-23) with 2 doubles<o></o>
<o></o>
On FRIDAY Yankees used Farnsworth who got save on 16 pitches.<o></o>
On SATURDAY Yankees used both Farnsworth (13 pitches) and Ramirez (15 pitches)<o></o>
<o></o>
ASTROS vs WANG:<o></o>
Erstad .333 BA (1-for-3)<o></o>
Loretta .438 BA (7-for-16) with 3 doubles<o></o>
Tejada .391 BA (9-for-23)<o></o>
Wigginton .353 BA (6-for-17)<o></o>
<o></o>
--------------------------<o></o>

Cleveland
- Maddux 5.01 ERA 1.48 WHIP and .315 BAA in his road starts
- Maddux 1.46 WHIP and .303 BAA in his day starts
- Maddux .288 BAA on 5 days rest along with 3.98 ERA and 1-3 WL record

- Sabathia 1.21 WHIP and .221 BAA in his day starts
- Sabathia 3.54 ERA with 1.23 WHIP and .237 BAA when pitching on 5 days rest

Some quotes from my notes about Sabathia after his most recent start:

"C.C. was the story," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. <o></o>
<o></o>
"He shut us down, used all his pitches. I know what his record is this year, but he's tough. <o></o>
<o></o>
The home plate umpire (Joe West) said that's the best he's seen him the last two or three years."<o></o>

... that's all :D

Some very good information. Best of luck today.

Thanks, Fondy, hopefully you'll get that Saturday money back tonight, buddy. :shake:

Btw, I've updated my record, haven't done that since Tuesday, it looks very very ugly but we'll see after tonight...

YTD 119-132 -71.64 Units

So far so good :)

Anyway, I've checked some interesting trends for my Angels game:

- Braves are 0-6 in their last 6 road games vs. a left-handed starter.
- Braves are 0-4 in their last 4 during game 3 of a series.

I wrote earlier that I remember Saunders as being many times in a stopper role, but I had no idea he has been so much in this spot:

- Angels are 15-3 in Saunders' last 18 starts following a team loss in their previous game.

- Angels are 13-3 in Saunders' last 16 starts with 5 days of rest.
- Angels are 4-1 in Saunders' last 5 Sunday starts.

And now some really stupid but funny trends considering home umpire:

- Home team is 20-7 in Gormans last 27 interleague games behind home plate.
- Home team is 14-6 in Gormans last 20 games behind home plate vs. Atlanta.

I've checked whole Angels past schedule this season and they lost only once more than 2 games in a row, and it was a sweep @ Tampa following a loss in a 3rd game vs Royals (they won that series 2-1).

I've also checked Braves past schedule this season and they've won more than 2 games in a row only 3 times - all 3 times when they were playing at home and those were 5 and 6-game winning streaks.

Also, by checking pre-game comments from both teams, I like what I see:

Knowing what the Braves are going to throw and actually hitting it are two different things, according to Angels manager Mike Scioscia.

"They really pound it outside with their guys," Scioscia said. "They just do it as well as anybody in the game and have had a lot of success with that philosophy. They will pick their spots inside when they have to, but they really keep it down in the zone and away."
Braves starter Jorge Campillo's strategy is no different. According to ESPN's Inside Edge, 54 percent of the pitches he throws to right-handed batters are on the outer half of the plate and 60 percent of the pitches he throws to lefties are away from the hitter.

Scioscia, though, says he feels comfortable with his new lineup that includes second baseman Howie Kendrick and third baseman Chone Figgins, both of whom had extended stints on the disabled list. Kendrick and Figgins have played together just 12 times in 69 games.

"We have a lineup that I hope that when guys are doing what they can do that there would be some structure no matter who's pitching," Scioscia said. "This way, we could have some continuity and know where guys are going to hit and what's going to work."

"When everyone was healthy in Spring Training, our lineup had the potential to be very deep, and that's what it is right now," Scioscia said.

Good to know that they actually had some good scouting report on Campillo, because they had the problem with that kid last night, just as Torii said:

The Angels were stymied by an unfamiliar face-- Braves starter Charlie Morton -- who was making his Major League debut.

Morton pitched six solid innings, allowing three earned runs on five hits along with four strikeouts and one walk. Morton retired the first seven batters he faced and kept the Angels off-balance with a good changeup.

The Angels, though, didn't even have as much as a scouting report on Morton, who was called up for this start from Triple-A Richmond.

"We didn't have a scouting report or video or anything," Hunter said. "[But] you can't make excuses that we didn't have video because we should have made adjustments."

So all in all, I feel pretty much confident that my Angels may be able to avoid the sweep tonight..

Good night everyone, going to bed... g2work in the morning.

:cheers:

Thorough work. great thread as usual, unicorn.

good day .,.. hope the angels come in too !!

one song I have for Unicorn:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

possibly the gayest song ever :36_11_6::36_11_6:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_48HjxpByfs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_48HjxpByfs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

but I think it's appropriate, the only one I could find with the theme :D

Whooaaaa!!!

Thnx guys! :D :D :D

Now this is exactly what I needed, thank You God! Hopefully there's the end of the tunnel in this horrific season after all :)

Sunday update:
LA ANGELS (Saunders) @ 1.70 for 14 Units W
LA ANGELS (Saunders) -1.5 @ 2.50 for 3 Units W
BOSTON (Beckett) @ 1.70 for 14 Units W
BOSTON (Beckett) -1.5 @ 2.00 for 3 Units W
TORONTO/CH.CUBS Over 8.5 @ 1.90 for 3 Units W
COLORADO (Cook) @ 2.15 for 3 Units W
FLORIDA (Nolasco) @ 2.35 for 3 Units W
KANSAS CITY (Meche) @ 2.25 for 3 Units W
HOUSTON (Oswalt) @ 2.05 for 4 Units L
CLEVELAND (Sabathia) @ 1.65 for 7 Units W

9-1 +41.60 Units

Overall YTD update: 128-132, -30.04 Units

Thanks for all of the support, see you on Tuesday.
:cheers:

P.S. For Satyr - Go CROATIA! :)

Back