Sunday league--11/9

tee*dub

Head of Loggerhead Turtle Society
2008 posted on CTG

36-26, +15,975

midway point and up over 30 units so right on track.. Good start to the week hitting Denver Thursday on 4 unit play.. 9-4 the last couple weeks I think.

Very nice day yesterday in CFB hitting my top 3 plays including top unit+2 play on bama.. Had a chance at a couple backdoor covers (Vandy) that could have made the day much better, but can't complain.

Also hit a nice sized wager on Calzaghe over RJJ last night in boxing.. Those who know me know I never lay big chalk but that one was too easy. at -220 I still thought it was cheap.. Roy Jones Jr. is old and I believe that Joe Calz is lb. for lb. champ right now.. So easy play for me and it was dominating.. But this is the NFL so on with it.

Have mentioned to several guys in PM and otherwise that I have liked this card from the beginning.

I put them up as I play them and as always I'll keep this first screen updated.

Vikings -2.5, -110; 6 units
Saints +1.5, -110; 4 units
Ravens +1, -110; 4 units
Rams +10, -120; 2 units
Sd -10, -120 2H; 4 units
Colts TT over 10 2H, -115; 4 units..

other sides I am leaning on:

Tenny (becoming less comfortable though)
New Orleans (likely play)
Balty (likely play)
philly (very small lean)
StL

Packers have problems today. Don't think the 2.5 will be around long so locking it in now.

Revenge game for Vikes as they outplayed GB on the road earlier IMO and now get a much more stable situation and at home.

Vikings run it and GB has trouble stopping it. Peterson is acting fresh and Berrian's season has been on a steady up-tick..He now leads the NFL in YPC at over 20.. This is the attack we expected early on for the Vikings. Pound it with Peterson and then stretch it downfield with Berrian.. And the Pack are perfect candidates to struggle with that approach.. Lots of things kept the Vikes from pulling this off early on but mostly it was the fact Peterson was banged up and QB Jackson was incapable of performing the strategy.. Those two problems are fixed now.

Made the bet assuming J Allen is scratched. If he plays and is near his usual self, I am tempted to add..

Thought this article sumed things up pretty good:

The Vikings have climbed to 13th in the NFL in total offense and 14th in scoring at the season’s halfway mark by getting meaningful contributions from both the running and passing game.

Quarterback Gus Frerotte has the field awareness of a 15-year veteran. Wide receiver Bernard Berrian, after a slow start, is providing a big-play, deep threat. And running back Adrian Peterson pounds away at defenses stacked to stop him.

It’s still not a perfect offense, but the Vikings have found a successful formula.

“This is getting closer to what we envisioned,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “This year we have a little bit more balance.
We are able to run the ball effectively, but still the passes that we are starting to hit now, the run is setting them up and we are starting to get a little bit bigger chucks. I think we are able to be a little bit more explosive with the pass game. When you do that, something has to give.”

The target of slings and arrows the past few seasons, the Vikings are generating some impressive numbers on offense. A sampling:

• The Vikings averaged 27.8 points the past four games, the fifth-highest average in the NFL over the past five weeks (including a bye).

• They had a 100-yard rusher and a 100-yard receiver in the same game for the second time this season last week after a six-year drought.

• They are tied for eighth in the league with 32 plays of at least 20 yards.

• Berrian leads the NFL in average yards per catch (20.7) among receivers with at least 20 catches, Peterson is the second-leading rusher (823 yards), Frerotte is fourth in yards-per-completion average (12.88), Visanthe Shiancoe is second among tight ends in touchdowns (four) and Chester Taylor leads running backs in third-down catches (13).

Still …

“Every aspect of our game we have to get better at,” right guard Anthony Herrera said. “We’re nowhere close to where we want to be. Not yet.”

Taking advantage

None of the Vikings previous four opponents ranks higher than 17th in the NFL in defense, but the offense is moving in the right direction. Any discussion about its improvement starts with Frerotte, who replaced Tarvaris Jackson in Week 3 and has steadily become more comfortable in this system.

At 37, Frerotte brings a calmness that was absent under Jackson. Frerotte’s approach is so flat-lined he makes Joe Mauer seem like a live wire.

“He’s as even-keeled as anyone I’ve seen,” receiver Bobby Wade said. “You want a consistent guy who can look you in the eye and tell you exactly what is going on. You can look at him and have confidence that we are going to execute this play and get it done.”

The numbers back that up. The Vikings have averaged 92.7 more passing yards and 7.7 more points per game with Frerotte, who, more important, is 4-2 as the starter.

Frerotte ranks 10th in the NFL with 244.7 passing yards per game and has brought balance to the offense. Consider: The Vikings have only 61 more total yards through eight games than they had at this point last season. However, they have 450 more passing yards.

“Obviously, when you can have a 100-yard receiver and a 100-yard rusher [in the same game] it’s pretty tough for a defense to defend,” Frerotte said. “We’re just trying to get those guys in the best positions. You want matchups, and you want your big players to make big plays.”

Berrian is giving the Vikings precisely what they wanted when they targeted him in free agency. Signed to a six-year, $42 million contract, he is using his speed to make big plays down the field and taking advantage of defenses focused on Peterson.

Berrian caught a 55-yard pass on the first play last week and has nine catches of 25-plus yards, the
second-most in the NFL. He has three 100-yard receiving performances in the past four games and a touchdown catch in four consecutive games.

Berrian said it’s how he envisioned his role “to a T.”

“We were trying to get the ball down the field early [in the season], but we just weren’t able to land those shots,” he said. “Now we’re starting to land them and get big chunks of yardage. That’s balancing it up a lot.”

Fear the run

Even so, teams remain more fearful of Peterson’s running so they bring their safeties closer to the line rather than keep them back to provide help on Berrian. Childress said he doesn’t envision that changing.

“We’re probably not to the point where they’re thinking it’s a Randy Moss and they have to roll up where it’s two deep and they’ll give up the run,” he said. “I don’t think that we’re going to see a departure to that.”

Peterson enters today’s game with three consecutive 100-yard performances and said his body feels “fresh.” He seems to have found his groove, which no doubt is linked to the team’s increased production in the passing game.

“If they are absolutely going to legislate against the run, then you better be able to throw it,” Childress said. “If they’re going to give you things in the run game, then you better have the ability to run it. Balance is a good thing.”

The question now is whether they can keep that balance. The Vikings face only two top-10 defenses in the second half and, barring significant injuries, they should become consistent as the season progresses.

It might not be a kick-you-know-what offense, but it’s functioning pretty well.

“Guys are happy about what we’ve got going on,” Wade said. “The more that we go out there, the more we exert our force on defenses and really play at our tempo — instead of having the defense dictate everything to us, it allows us to be more confident.”

Last edited:
Not that it matters now, but it looks like the line is going lower on Minny. I'm now seeing -2 at one of my books while the others are reducing juice on -2.5

Good shit, you do NBA at all?

Nope, tail BAR blindly... Enjoy the sport but he knows it 1000 times better than I do so why mess with it.. Set up a separate account and use it strictly for BAR tails.. Doing that for my regular units up to all -star break.. Then reevaluating. My sports are NFL, CFB, MLB and CBB.

The BAR legend lives.:popcorn:

On it Tee.

I like the Texans at home today though; Tenny is a play, and Falcons

Got Rams at 9.

Let's get that Vikes cover.

Have a good one

Not that it matters now, but it looks like the line is going lower on Minny. I'm now seeing -2 at one of my books while the others are reducing juice on -2.5

surprising.. Wonder if J Allen got officially scratched.. you may want to wait it out a bit.. Really thought it would go to 3 though.

ESPN just said Allen will be a game time decision. He's trying a shoulder harness pre-game to see how it feels.

<table class="s_playerNewsTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="11">
pixel.gif
</td><td style="background: rgb(54, 6, 81) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="10">
left_corner_player_news.gif
</td><td class="s_playerNewsTitle" style="background: rgb(54, 6, 81) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width=""><table class="s_playerNewsTitle" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" width="33">
MIN.gif
</td><td align="left"> Jared Allen-DL- Vikings</td><td style="" align="right">Nov. 9 - 11:08 am et</td></tr></tbody></table> </td><td style="background: rgb(54, 6, 81) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="14">
right_corner_player_news.gif
</td><td width="6">
pixel.gif
</td></tr><tr><td>
pixel.gif
</td><td class="s_playerNewsLeftBorder">
pixel.gif
</td><td class="s_playerNewsText">Despite Jared Allen's third degree shoulder sprain, John Clayton of ESPN reports that he's trying to convince the Vikings coaching staff to let him play through the injury.
Allen was limited in practice Friday and could wear a harness on the shoulder against Green Bay, but would likely have a reduced workload.
</td><td class="s_playerNewsRightBorder">
pixel.gif
</td><td>
pixel.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

went ahead and added the rest of the early ones as I am not really waiting for anything:

Saints +1.5, -110; 4 units
Ravens +1, -110; 4 units
Rams +10, -120; 2 units

Briefly on each of these...

Saints-- Think Atlanta though improved are overvalued and with the Saints coming off a bye think they score some points today and Atl will not be able to keep up IMO

Balty-- almost made this top unit.. Turnover prone Rosenthal takes on NFL 2nd ranked defense. Balty has won past 2 road games averaging 32 points. Yep.

St Louis-- Leonard Little is healthy again and should get a majority of the passing down snaps.. Changes the Rams defense. Forget last weeks blowout loss to Ariz.. That was a really bad spot for the Rams and we profitted.. Not sure why I am not making this a bigger play because it fits everything I like.. Stephen Jackson is a pussy and very overrated IMO..Him being out is actually preferred because it got us a couple more points. I like Darby and think Farve makes just enough mistakes vs what should be a very good pass rush for the Rams (note progress of rookie Long) to keep this one within a possession.. Again, I would not be suprised to see a SU Ram win but the 10 points ought to come in handy.. Remember, Rams won SU on the road at Washington in almost the exact same situation (I.e. no Jackson, off bad loss at home, etc.)

On vikings big as well... Whether allen plays or not!!! Lets cash out with minny t!! LOVING saints also..BOL BRO...

Jared allen will play and start, they just confirmed it on Minnesota sports radio as well as on NFL network

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=11>
pixel.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: rgb(54,6,81); -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial" width=10>
left_corner_player_news.gif
</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: rgb(54,6,81); -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=33>
MIN.gif
</TD><TD align=left>Jared Allen-DL- Vikings</TD><TD align=right>Nov. 9 - 11:08 am et</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: rgb(54,6,81); -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial" width=14>
right_corner_player_news.gif
</TD><TD width=6>
pixel.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
pixel.gif
</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>
pixel.gif
</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>Despite Jared Allen's third degree shoulder sprain, John Clayton of ESPN reports that he's trying to convince the Vikings coaching staff to let him play through the injury.
Allen was limited in practice Friday and could wear a harness on the shoulder against Green Bay, but would likely have a reduced workload.

</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsRightBorder>
pixel.gif
</TD><TD>
pixel.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:4_12_12:

He is a fucking baller.. Money did not change him.. Love the guy and the fact it is not a leg injury helps his chances.. Think he has sack incentives in his contract..

I am on it at top unit already but I have jumped to 8 units a few times... Will consider it closer to game time..

:4_12_12:

He is a fucking baller.. Money did not change him.. Love the guy and the fact it is not a leg injury helps his chances.. Think he has sack incentives in his contract..

I am on it at top unit already but I have jumped to 8 units a few times... Will consider it closer to game time..

Its the Packers you have no idea how much we hate them here.

Most important game of the season for the Vikings, and Brad Childress. Chilly hasn't beat the Packers. If he doesnt do it today, HE'S DONE.

Its the Packers you have no idea how much we hate them here.

Most important game of the season for the Vikings, and Brad Childress. Chilly hasn't beat the Packers. If he doesnt do it today, HE'S DONE.

You minnesotians are pretty tough on Childress... Is Bud Grant still available?:D

Like your new Dalene avatar picture, however the original is my favorite and will always have a special place in my heart..:smiley_acbe: GL to you also LJC

That's funny. Yeah that one is my favorite, but we all need a little change

Seeing Ravens at +2 now. Not sure why. Concerns about Flacco on the road? I definitely see problems for Houston with the Balty D.

Gl tee, i'm new to the site, but been following your posts closely.
Your a great capper. Let's get that cash today!!!

Seeing Ravens at +2 now. Not sure why. Concerns about Flacco on the road? I definitely see problems for Houston with the Balty D.

actually some 2.5 out there now... No clue what that is about... Some injuries on both sides but nothing surprising unless I missed something..

If I could do it over I would buy it to 3 now but I am already invested at +1

Liking Orleans-- off the bye and vs Ryan who looked super good last week, now everyone is thinking Ryan is the best in the world, he is still a rookie, I think people are expecting too much from him-

Give Peyton extra time to prepare and i thikn Brees goes off in this game-- Atl perfect spot for a letdown IMO--

Teased the Vikes. I am a chicken for teasing them? I am scared of Minn's bad pass D and their good corners? But I see a 6 unit play on it so I am confused.

Also Tee is there any reason to think a guy off the street will come and lead Detroit to a win today?
Also looked at Pats team total over 22.5-- Whitaker is out , no Schobel and the safety is also out-- It is very windy, I look for Moss to go off, however Pats ran the ball so much last week making it a short game with about 3 possesssions a half--

I don't understand the Vikings love here, I can't see any value so I'll lay off.

Best of luck to you and the bandwaggon though :cheers:

'an_horse'

Looking good buddy Vikes-- I have orleans on a 3 team tease at +11.5 - I had no choice but to buy off them at half down 11-- They are a real mess on D- Brees is moving it but man their D is unbettable bro- expected more from them and ATL is better than I though also-- Vikes looking solid as always bro

Looking good buddy Vikes-- I have orleans on a 3 team tease at +11.5 - I had no choice but to buy off them at half down 11-- They are a real mess on D- Brees is moving it but man their D is unbettable bro- expected more from them and ATL is better than I though also-- Vikes looking solid as always bro

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="3">Team Stat Comparison</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left"> </td><td>
nor.gif
</td><td>
atl.gif
</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">1st Downs</td><td>9</td><td>11</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">3rd down efficiency
</td><td>3-7</td><td>3-5</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">4th down efficiency
</td><td>0-1</td><td>0-0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Total Yards</td><td>199</td><td>200</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Passing</td><td>112</td><td>145</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Comp-Att
</td><td>10-18</td><td>10-13</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per pass
</td><td>6.2</td><td>11.2</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Rushing</td><td>87</td><td>55</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Rushing Attempts
</td><td>13</td><td>18</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per rush
</td><td>6.7</td><td>3.1</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Penalties</td><td>3-20</td><td>2-25</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Turnovers</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Fumbles lost
</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Interceptions thrown
</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Possession</td><td>14:26</td><td>15:34</td></tr></tbody></table>

Can the Saints secondary right the ship so their mix ups do not continue to result in Atl passing plays? Brees will do well in the 2H. Payton will continue to pass more than run so catching up will not be a problem offensively. It is a matter of whether the defense will stop the bleeding.

thought they might make Pitt a pk in 2H... headed that way, currently -.5, -105... if it goes to pk I'll play Pitt..

Fucking dumb ass Herm Edwards.. Take it to overtime.. Just because your season is done and you suck doesn't mean you do not play it legit.. Kick the extra point.

Fucking dumb ass Herm Edwards.. Take it to overtime.. Just because your season is done and you suck doesn't mean you do not play it legit.. Kick the extra point.

I was on the 2nd half over and SD.....lost both.

Herm f**cked it all up:popcorn:

Back