Sunday Hoops and more with Handy

handy

Pretty much a regular
Hi there,

Welcome to talking all sports with Handy. Since my thread earlier in the week seemed to work out much better with me simply posting thoughts, opinions etc. and not responding directly to others. If you want to converse just send me a PM. I do my best to respond to all but sometimes there just isn't enough time to do so.

Anyways, since this is the NBA forum I'm going to start with Hoops and end with a little baseball.

Today's card is once again very interesting to say the least. We have many games with huge playoff implications.

San Antonio at Dallas - At this time there is no line yet on this game simply because Dallas hasn't revealed who is and isn't playing today. Regardless I don't expect Dallas to risk their major players in a must win situation for the Spurs. This should be an all out blitz from the tip for the Spurs. They need to keep winning in order to keep the pressure on the Suns. I don't know whether or not I would lay the points. It all depends on the number but I wouldn't be surprised to see like a 7 or 8 if Dallas is resting. It probably won't be enough if that's the case.

Sacramento at Clippers - Well I would think the Clippers win this one rather easily but the oddsmakers don't think so. Ten points is a lot but not a lot. It still means they expect the game to be reasonably competitive but the Clippers will keep Sac at arms length throughout. It's hard to disagree with the line. I wouldn't bet this game either way as I still believe the Clippers are going to be the odd team out simply because they're likely going to find themselves playing Phoenix in what could be a must win situation for the Suns. That's not very promising.

Bulls at Wizards - Yup, this is probably the ABC live dog bet of the day. Chicago has trouble scoring points and now so does Washington. Laying 6 points on the road could prove to be an awful lot. I will consider taking the points but remember the Wizards have little if anything to play for.

Nets at Pacers - I'm guessing the Nets will rest their players and Indy might win this game. Who knows but I wouldn't bet it either way.

Minnesota at Golden State - Golden State will win. By how many? Who knows and who cares? This is a real schmuck bet.

New York at Toronto - The Raptors will win. By how many? Who knows and who cares? This is a real schmuck bet.

Philly at Detroit - Another real schmuck bet. Two teams which have nothing to play for. Expect the unexpected but save your money.

Boston at Orlando - All right this is the interesting bet of the day. There are two ways of looking at this game long before it starts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if NJ wins the PAcers are eliminated which in turn would make this game meaningless for the Magic. I believe NJ loses today and rests their players so I think this game is going to have meaning for Orlando. IF that's the case this line is going up. If not it obviously goes down. The question is if you believe NJ mails it in then you would want to make an early gamble on -10.5 and maybe get a shot at a middling opp. It's still a very dicey situation which I simply wouldn't recommend speculation on. You're as likely to be right as you are wrong when trying to figure out what these coaches and teams are thinking.

Sonics at Lakers - Same thing goes in this one. I believe if Golden State or LAC wins the Lakers are in. I'm not 100% sure on that but I wouldn't bet this game until right before it starts. You don't want to get caught with a -10 on LAL to find out Kobe, Lamar and Luke aren't playing. I don't think it will be the case as LAC and GS are very good bets to win their game but it's the NBA and you never know.

All right now lets talk some baseball. I should mention I've been crushing it of late. I've been on quite a run. However, my run is nothing compared to my buddy who is 21-7 (75%) over his last 28 plays. My buddy is as square as they come. Practically every damn game he bets he wins. It's been an amazing couple of weeks but I'm willing to bet he's going to fall flat on his face any day now. You know how this shit works. Saturday he bet Arizona, Florida and San Diego. I tailed him. As much as I want to start blindly fading him someone once told me don't bet against the streak. Instead I tailed his plays which is something I can't ever remember doing. Well Florida gets rained out (he would've won that one. I know it) and San Diego and Arizona are victorious. Last Sunday he goes 5 for 5 and you know you got a horse shoe up your ass when you're losing 2-0 in the ninth and you win on a home run vs. Kansas City. All I know is my buddy is going to get destroyed. He knows nothing about betting on sports other than seeing a popular chalk pitcher like Halladay, Santana, Peavy and bet it. Hey it's been working. He's played one underdog in this entire run and it was only +103 when he bought Zach Duke last Sunday at Cinci. By game time Zach was a slight fave. Well enough about him. He's going to be counting a lot of cash this week. I'm so happy for him.

All right here is what I'm thinking for today.

Jose Contreras +150 vs. CC Sabathia - I don't care what you tell me and what you think Jose Contreras is one of the best pitchers in MLB. If he didn't have a bad opening day start vs. Cleveland and simply pitched decent but still lost would we see this line? No fucking way. This line should be -120 on CC. I have no idea who wins this game but looking at value I see +150 on Jose and I can't say no way Jose. You have to buy this line. He pitched a gem last week in Oakland and is getting no respect. This Indians team stinks defensively. Unless they shore up the D this Indians team is going to wind up just like last years team. This is a team which I don't want my money on as a favorite. I've watched them play a number of games and all they do is throw the ball all around the field.

Hudson over Olson - If you're going to bet the favorite lay the run line. Olson has been struggling with his command. IF he wasn't pitching vs. a rookie Milwaukee pitcher last week he likely would've lost that game. Olsen was terrible as he was walking the ball park.

Houston over Philly - Freddy Garcia isn't the same old Freddy Garcia. This guy has lost a shit load of velocity and I simply think this game is way overpriced. It's strictly a value bet on Houston. It's likely one of those games which can go either way and will go back and forth. Once again value only here with Houston. Tough to clearly pick one side over the other.

Milwaukee at St. Louis- Well given the way Braden Looper has pitched I'm not sure he shouldn't be favored in this game. I know Sheets is a very good pitcher but if Looper has been good then he should be a small favorite at home. Remember, Milwaukee isn't a good team to lay road chalk with because of their bullpen.

Cinci vs. Cubs - Here is another strictly value play. Since when is Ted Lilly a -170 pitcher? Not in my eyes. If you're looking for value and some offense take the Reds and take your chances. Once again just value but hard to pick a side. Could be a back and forth type of game.

Colorado at Arizona - This game is very tough to call. Rodrigo Lopez has been pitching very well. Doug Davis throws a lot of pitches and struggles with his command. Once again I just see value with Colorado but that's it.

Detroit at Toronto - Doesn't this one look easy? It probably isn't. However, I want nothing to do with Josh Towers and that Jays bullpen. Trust me folks when this Toronto team is laying heavy change vs. a half decent offense they're probably a good bet against. That bull pen is garbage and BJ Ryan is flat out not a big game pitcher. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this guy blow up vs. the real teams. I never liked him and I still don't. I won't bet this game but the line tells me the only play is the home team. It looks way too easy on Detroit. Plus, Toronto does well vs. lefties. How about gas can AJ Burnett. This Jays team is heading for 3rd place.

The Red Sox game is likely to get rained out. At least that's what I read. Weather is looking bad on the East Coast. It's not a game I would bet anyways. Very tough betting against Boston at home.

Yankees at A's - This is my big bet of the day unless my buddy is on the other side and I will continue to ride his coat tails. I believe the Yankees are a solid play here. Oakland's bullpen is in worse shape than the Yanks. Huston Street is likely not available but Mariano should be. I don't believe he pitched on Friday night. Street has been used extensively. The total of 8.5 runs is probably a very good over bet given that both teams bull pens are taxed. The Yankees should get Harden out after 6 and then it's bar room baseball with all those shcmucks coming out of both pens. Remember the A's have been having trouble scoring even against this pitifal Yankees staff. Yes, they scored 5 on Friday and 3 on Saturday but that was in how many additional innings? They're offense is bad and this could be a disaster if Harden exits in the 6th. I'm on NY and I really believe this is a high scoring one sided game.

I will only be betting the Sunday night game if Jackie Robinson is playing 3rd base or if Joe Morgan has been fired. Joe Morgan is the worse baseball analyst on National Television. Anyone who disagrees must be deaf. He is the most unprepared, uninformed wind bag on TV. How he keeps this high profile job is beyond me. He needs to be relieved of his duties immediately. C'mon now why isn't Orel Hersheiser, Steve Phillips or Steve Stone in the booth? He's fucking brutal. Unlistenable and I really enjoy Jon Miller but this clown brings him down.

Good luck Handy!!

a very funny thing, my local book already published the odds, they have 2.05 on SA (SU).

:D I might stake 8 units on that one right there. Pinnacle still doesn't have it.

GL tonight.

What is 2.05 mean?

If that's 2.5 I would hammer that bet for the max. That line is going to sky rocket. There is little to no chance Dallas is interested in really competing in this game. They're not going to risk injury vs. a hungry team. That would make little to no sense.

What is 2.05 mean?

If that's 2.5 I would hammer that bet for the max. That line is going to sky rocket. There is little to no chance Dallas is interested in really competing in this game. They're not going to risk injury vs. a hungry team. That would make little to no sense.

it's not 2.5, it's +105

This Mavericks line is just puzzling. I can't believe what I'm seeing but it's also making me wonder. How can the Spurs not be favored in this game? Dallas has nothing to play for. I got in at SA +1. I still believe we're going to find out Dallas isn't playing their players and this number is going to sky rocket. Perhaps I'm wrong but either way this is the Spurs game to win. Dallas has nothing to play for.

Center Erick Dampier is expected to miss his third consecutive game today with a strained right shoulder. Dampier said the shoulder is still sore but he hopes to play Tuesday night at Golden State. He didn't participate in the physical portions of practice on Saturday.
"I think more than anything, he needs contact," Johnson said. "It will be good for him to come back to practice on Monday. Getting him back in practice and letting him bang a little bit is what I'm hoping for. If he plays these last two days, with three days in between the [playoff game], hopefully, he'll be fresh."
Johnson said he expects to have all his players in uniform, with the exception of one regular bench player. No player will play more than 36 minutes.

logic is simple, Every player avg 38 min. I'm thinking it's stackhouse sitting out again. But I think He'll play them more like 30 min each.

Back