Sunday 01/19/14 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - SUN 1/19[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Sun 1/19[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]801[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Los Angeles Lakers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+9 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 204 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]10:05 AM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]802[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Toronto Raptors[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-9 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 204 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sun 1/19[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]803[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Boston Celtics[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 195.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]03:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]804[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Orlando Magic[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 195.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]805[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]806[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Offline[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sun 1/19[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]807[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sacramento Kings[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+8 1.926[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 211 1.971[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]808[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Oklahoma City Thunder[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-8 1.980[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 211 1.935[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]809[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Denver Nuggets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+1 1.926[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 219.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]810[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Phoenix Suns[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-1 1.980[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 219.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

First thoughts
Suns over
Toronto first quarter and first half. Game a live probability but a little put off by Toronto trip to Bobcats

Sacramento off a horrendous loss to Memphis. Scored 2 pts in the final 4 minutes and turned an 8 pt lead into a 1 pt loss. Playing their 4th road game in 6 days, wonder where their heads will be at. Only previous occasion this season they've played a road game off 2 road ATS wins, they lost by 14 pts (@+4.5) to those mighty Lakers.

This season 2 Sunday games at home.
31 and 29 points in the first quarter
no Wins. Think they are better now and not facing Denver or Portland..

Sacramento off a horrendous loss to Memphis. Scored 2 pts in the final 4 minutes and turned an 8 pt lead into a 1 pt loss. Playing their 4th road game in 6 days, wonder where their heads will be at. Only previous occasion this season they've played a road game off 2 road ATS wins, they lost by 14 pts (@+4.5) to those mighty Lakers.

OKC is also dominant in Sunday home game. The whole religious angle...

I'm not the only one. But go ahead and make fun. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful. If you've ever watched a Sunday home game in okc, the crowd is totally different in their energy level compared to other games.

LeBron motivated by Durant's play
Michael Wallace [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | January 19, 2014

CHARLOTTE -- Don't expect LeBron James to concede the league MVP race to buddy Kevin Durant anytime soon.

A night after Durant scored a career-high 54 points in Oklahoma City's home win over Golden State, James said he's been inspired by the Thunder star's recent performances and isn't beyond using them as motivation to respond with his own breakout play.

Wallace: LeBron Makes His Point
Though he can't match Kevin Durant's scoring totals, LeBron James was able to make his point against Bobcats, Michael Wallace writes. Blog

• Heat Reaction | Heat Index

James has won four MVP awards, including each of the last two. Durant has finished second in MVP voting to James on three of the four occasions. Last week, James told ESPN.com that at times he's jealous of the shot attempts Durant gets as the Thunder's lone prolific scorer while Russell Westbrook is out with a knee injury.

Asked before Saturday's game against Charlotte if, at this point in his career he's beyond trying to match big performances he sees from others around the league, James shook his head and grinned.

"Nah, I ain't beyond that. I ain't beyond that at all," James said. "I love when I see K.D. do something like that. It gives me an incentive. I don't get that many shots around here, but I might be able to do a little something. I might be able to get a couple of dunks."

To back up his point, James scored 34 points on 13 of 25 shooting from the field to go with eight points and six assists in Saturday night's 104-96 overtime win over the Bobcats.

Durant leads the league in scoring at 30.6 points entering the weekend, but has also improved just about every other aspect of his game this season. He scored 48 points twice earlier this month before he torched the Warriors on Friday by hitting 19 of 28 shots from the field, including 5 of 9 from 3-point range, and also had six assists, four rebounds and two steals in 44 minutes.

James was unable to watch Durant's performance because the Heat were traveling to Charlotte after they snapped a three-game losing streak in Philadelphia. James had 21 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds in the win against the 76ers. He also scored 10 points in the fourth quarter.

It didn't take long for him to learn how much his effort paled in comparison to Durant's epic night.

Issac Baldizon/NBAE/Getty Images
One day after watching Kevin Durant erupt for 54 points, LeBron James said, "I love when I see K.D. do something like that. It gives me an incentive."
"I do a lot of checking and seeing what guys have done overnight," James said of keeping up with the performances of other players. "After every game, I always go ... and see what guys did. I didn't have to look too far to see what K.D. did last night. As soon as I looked at my phone, a family member of mine said, 'K.D. had 54, you only had 21. You stink.' So, there it is."

James entered Saturday averaging 25.8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.6 assists. He is shooting a career-high 58.6 percent from the field, but his other numbers are slightly down from his other MVP seasons. James dismisses the notion that he has been coasting in some areas this season, specifically on defense.

James and Durant have been friends for years and have spent time training together in the offseason. Durant has repeatedly talked about how he is tired of finishing second to James, who has beaten him out for MVPs and also led the Heat past the Thunder in the 2012 Finals in five games.

Durant also took on Dwyane Wade in a social media dispute before the start of this season, after he suggested Wade shouldn't be considered a top-10 player in the league ahead of former Thunder teammate and current Houston Rocket guard James Harden.

But that doesn't stop James from appreciating the prolific pace Durant has been on lately.

"Once a scorer like that gets going, you ain't going to stop him," James said. "I saw like the last 20 points he had, and they were all contested jumpers. He was hitting ... barely touching the net. When you're in a zone like that, it doesn't matter as a defender. There's nothing you can do about it. It was a big-time, big-time game for him."

James and Durant have the first of their two regular season matchups on January 29 when the Thunder visit the Heat.

OMG, tell me you didn't just say that...

Can't believe I'm posting this but it is what it is.

As a young boy, Cedric Hardimon dreamed of someday playing in the NBA. Little did he know that God would place him in ministry to NBA players.
Today, Hardimon, 31, is chaplain for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
“I have always had a passion for sports,” he said. “I got a scholarship to play college football (out of state), but my senior year, I felt God calling me back home (to Oklahoma).”
In addition to playing sports all his life, Hardimon is a talented musician.
“I was privileged to come home (to Oklahoma) with my wife, Megan, and get a job with Bethany, Council Road,” he shared.
Hardimon, who now is recreation minister at Moore, First, was cross-cultural pastor and in the recreation ministry at Council Road. It was from that point that God opened the door with the Thunder.
“At that time the Seattle Super Sonics were moving to Oklahoma City, and they were filling positions including for chaplain,” he said. “Someone connected to Council Road recommended me and knew the organization was looking for people doing out of the box ministry.”
After several days of intensive interviews, Hardimon landed the job with the Thunder. He is now one of two team chaplains.
“As chaplain, it is his job to be a spiritual mentor to the players, coaches and organization’s personnel,” he said.
“We hold chapel before the games, and it is completely voluntary,” he said. “Players are not required to attend, but the Thunder has a high percentage of the team show up compared to other NBA teams, I believe.”
Hardimon has been a Christian for more than half his life, but he remembers what it was like to be lost.
“I was 15 when I accepted Christ,” said Hardimon. “I went to Falls Creek thinking I would just get to play basketball with my friends from (Oklahoma City, Brookwood) church. I went there, and then accepted Christ,” he said.
Hardimon is amazed at how God has brought him full circle. During week three of Falls Creek this summer, Hardimon will be leading worship.
Hardimon is always amazed to see how far people can come. That includes the Thunder.
“I have been part of the team since the beginning. There was a time when we were 1-12 (record),” he said. “At that time, we did not have a lot of players coming to chapel. We are the chaplain for the Thunder and the away team for the whole arena.”
“The other chaplain is older, and I think he is looked at as a father figure,” he said. “This group is very young, almost college aged, even though they are not in college. It is like a college young group in some ways. The team calls him ‘pastor’ and call me ‘Ced.’ I talk to them like ‘Ced,’ not so much as a guy from the pulpit.”
Hardimon uses various ministry tools, such as the popular ‘I am second’ video testimonies (www.iamsecond.com).
“I showed the Tony Dungy video (from IAmSecond.com) and brought his book. That really resonated with some of the players,” he said.
“NBA chaplains are ministering to a hard group in some ways,” he added. “When you are at a low point, it is often easier to see the need for God. NBA players, though, can have almost anything they want.”
“The Thunder has a great group of guys, ones that are very humble, but we still remind them that everything they own—their talent and money—is on loan from God,” he said. “We talk about being humble and having good character.”
As a huge basketball fan, Hardimon feels honored where God has placed him.
“I think of the verse where God will give you the desires of your heart. Growing up, I knew I wanted to play in the NBA. Where I am at now, being able to be chaplain for the Thunder, being plugged into the local church, doing my music, but still having a piece in the NBA—it is awesome.”
As a Christian, Hardimon hopes to continue—win or lose—to reflect the grace and love of God.

I'm not the only one. But go ahead and make fun. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful. If you've ever watched a Sunday home game in okc, the crowd is totally different in their energy level compared to other games.
Who was making fun? All I know is once you start factoring in things like astrology and religion, maybe it's time to take a step back...

Besides, if OKC is dominant at home on Sundays, maybe it has more to do with OKC being dominant at home period, and not because it's Sunday? By that logic, New York and Brooklyn would be dominant at home on Saturdays, and Utah and the Bible Belt teams would never lose at home on Sundays.

Who was making fun? All I know is once you start factoring in things like astrology and religion, maybe it's time to take a step back...

Besides, if OKC is dominant at home on Sundays, maybe it has more to do with OKC being dominant at home period, and not because it's Sunday? By that logic, New York and Brooklyn would be dominant at home on Saturdays, and Utah and the Bible Belt teams would never lose at home on Sundays.

Can I get an Amen and a hallelujah!

Raps have been punching above their weight all year. They play hard and earlier on a lot of teams would often overlook them.

i expect a steady regression from them as the year goes on

they are by no means a bad team, just not a very good one either...

OKC is also dominant in Sunday home game. The whole religious angle...
Buddy_christ.jpg

Suns due to some very deliberate changes have shifted back into very dangerous team mode and assuming no new injuries I think it will stick

Back