Steelers vs. Bengals Props Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Last Chance Value Picks for Betting Steelers vs. Bengals

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cincinnati Bengals
Monday, December 21, 2020 at 8:15 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio

The First Turnover of the game will be

There will be a lot of passing done in this game.

On the one hand, Pittsburgh owns the NFL’s sixth-highest pass-play percentage. The Steelers throw the ball over 62 percent of the time.

On the other hand, Cincinnati — which is a double-digit underdog at the sports betting sites — promises to be down by a lot against an angry rival in Pittsburgh which will want to end its two-game losing streak.

Ben Roethlisberger is always at risk to throw an interception. His wide receivers run a ton of go routes and he often tries to hit them. Overall, he throws deep balls at the fourth-highest rate.

While he attempts a lot of deep balls, he isn’t good at them. As an aging quarterback — he’s 38 — his arm strength is deteriorating. His deep ball accuracy also is often poor.

So he ranks 33rd in deep ball completion percentage. His problems with the deep ball also help explain why he ranks in the bottom half among starting quarterbacks in danger plays and interceptable passes.

Given the high number of passes, of risky or deep passes, and of poorly thrown passes that he attempts per game, it should come as no surprise that Roethlisberger has thrown at least one interception in each of his last four games.

Quality of the opposing secondary has not factored into this trend. So it’s no objection that the Bengals don’t exactly have an elite secondary. Roethlisberger even threw an interception against Jacksonville.

For Cincinnati, Ryan Finley will make his first NFL start. Finley has had minimal playing time, all of which has come because the Bengals had no other choice.

During his playing time, the second-year product of NC State has really struggled. He’s completing just over half of his passes.

With two interceptions in 19 pass attempts, Finley has the third-highest interception rate behind Kendall Hinton, the wide receiver who started at quarterback for Denver, and Robert Griffin III.

Pittsburgh promises to intercept him multiple times. With their second-highest sack rate, the Steelers will put Finley under pressure.

Cincinnati’s pass protection has consistently ranked towards the bottom of the league. So even Joe Burrow, when he was still healthy, and who is more mobile, was sacked four times when these teams first met.

Finley himself has already been sacked seven times

The Steelers also have a strong secondary filled with playmakers. Of course, they are helped by their own pass rush, which reliably forces the opponent into attempting bad passes.

They lead the league in opposing interceptions thrown per game.

For the above reasoning, you want to look for interception props to have the “over” on.

One way of using the above information is to bet that the first turnover of the game will be an interception.

Best Bet: Interception at -175 with Bovada

Ben Roethlisberger Over/Under Passing Yards

in terms of passer rating, Roethlisberger has had four of his five worst performances this season in each of his team’s last four games.

Opposing defenses have it figured out. They know that Roethlisberger — and his receivers deserve some blame for this too — struggles completing deep passes, as I noted above.

So they defend the short routes very aggressively — see Buffalo’s pick six against Big Ben last week for an example.

During Roethlisberger’s ongoing four-game struggle, he would have eclipsed this over/under in passing yardage just once. This one exception was a close game against Washington in which he had to press from behind.

But in this game, Pittsburgh should lead the Bengals easily. The Bengals have backups at running back and quarterback, an atrocious offensive line, and the league’s 27th-ranked run defense.

If there were a game in which the Steelers establish their running vigor, it would be this one. James Conner recently ran for 89 yards on 13 attempts in Jacksonville. So he’s more than capable of helping the Steelers sustain an effective ground attack.

But even if the Steelers don’t succeed much by running, you can count on the Bengals to play those short routes aggressively while Big Ben still has a difficult time converting deep pass attempts.

Best Bet: Under 275 Passing Yards at -114 with BetOnline

I really wanted to find an over on number of INTs thrown by Finley. Gotta be available somewhere? Sorry I lack access to Bovada during Winter Break when i'm in Maryland (Bank was able to copy and paste some props for me, thanks Bank!)

My fear with interception being the 1st turnover would be sack/fumble but what you betting is int anytime correct? -175 actually feels pretty cheap for this prop!! Steelers wrs let a lot of balls bounce off their hands also so always chance of a deflection!

I really wanted to find an over on number of INTs thrown by Finley. Gotta be available somewhere? Sorry I lack access to Bovada during Winter Break when i'm in Maryland (Bank was able to copy and paste some props for me, thanks Bank!)

I see Finley total ints at 1.5 and the over is +175!!

I like the J Washington receiving yards prop. He really hasn't seen the field much other than last week when he dropped the ball a couple of times and was benched for a half. Washington doesn't take the field usually due to the fact, the Steelers also want Ebron on the field. So 5 lineman+3 WR+ TE + Ben + RB or McDonald.

I'm not even sure Claypool reaches his Yardage either as he's been absent the last several games.

J Washington O/U 25.5 yds
Claypool O/U 43.5 yds

Not so sure about the Game O/U as the Steelers Defense has been a MASH squad lately and even if the players come back, not sure how long they might stay in the game. One hit and they could easily come out again.

I'm scared to play game under but I might do Steelers u27.5. I like +13 at + money too.

Cincy has good WRs. Finley is capable

Yea plus The Steelers seem to relax when they have a 14+ point lead and I could easily see a backdoor in the 4th Qtr. But just when I think they're toast, the Steelers will bomb the bengals 40-13 and I'll be pissed. However, I'll be happy the Steelers won as a fan lol.

i saw that. Under should be a lock. Lol. Im hoping instead of Snell they give Jaylen Samuels a shot! We’ve seen the Snell experiment, that totally worthless so might as well give someone else a chance!!

Connor IMO hasn't been bad. The problem has been the Offensive Line run blocking. Yes they can kinda pass block with short rhythm throws, but run blocking has been atrocious. And with a mash Offensive line, it's hard to get consistency run blocking and opening up holes. It doesn't matter who's running IMO.

I kinda like the McFarland kid although he is small, but I suppose it will be RB by committee so whoever has the "hot" hand, if it happens will get the ball....Unless they put in on the ground. *looks at Snell*

Yea plus The Steelers seem to relax when they have a 14+ point lead and I could easily see a backdoor in the 4th Qtr. But just when I think they're toast, the Steelers will bomb the bengals 40-13 and I'll be pissed. However, I'll be happy the Steelers won as a fan lol.

Good points.

92% win prob

We will need strong coaching, unlike Judge last night playing so reckless in low scoring affair. I sorta trust Bengal coach to do right thing and coming off shellacking and giving up 30 helps with value. Allen was kinda ok for a second but basically sucks. Finley is better. GL tonight bro

Good points.

92% win prob

We will need strong coaching, unlike Judge last night playing so reckless in low scoring affair. I sorta trust Bengal coach to do right thing and coming off shellacking and giving up 30 helps with value. Allen was kinda ok for a second but basically sucks. Finley is better. GL tonight bro

I didn’t see much of last night, went pretty similar to how I expected although baker had rock solid numbers again. I had browns pegged for 20, I thought against that mess of a secondary in Cleveland Gmen would be able to score a little more. What was that retarded ass play on their 1st drive where they ended up in some goofy formation and the punter was throwing the ball (think it was punter?). I pretty much stopped watching after that horse shit. Lol.

I like the J Washington receiving yards prop. He really hasn't seen the field much other than last week when he dropped the ball a couple of times and was benched for a half. Washington doesn't take the field usually due to the fact, the Steelers also want Ebron on the field. So 5 lineman+3 WR+ TE + Ben + RB or McDonald.

I'm not even sure Claypool reaches his Yardage either as he's been absent the last several games.

J Washington O/U 25.5 yds
Claypool O/U 43.5 yds

Not so sure about the Game O/U as the Steelers Defense has been a MASH squad lately and even if the players come back, not sure how long they might stay in the game. One hit and they could easily come out again.

i was kinda thinking it bout time for claypool to have a big game, he really hasn’t been one the guys dropping balls has he?

I know I’ve seen Ebron drop several lately.

I basically need 2 the steelers wrs tonight, seems like ju ju and johnson kinda alternate good weeks and ju ju had the better game last week so I went johnson and claypool w little washigton thrown in.

Connor IMO hasn't been bad. The problem has been the Offensive Line run blocking. Yes they can kinda pass block with short rhythm throws, but run blocking has been atrocious. And with a mash Offensive line, it's hard to get consistency run blocking and opening up holes. It doesn't matter who's running IMO.

I kinda like the McFarland kid although he is small, but I suppose it will be RB by committee so whoever has the "hot" hand, if it happens will get the ball....Unless they put in on the ground. *looks at Snell*

so if you had to take long shot in the dark you prefer McFarland over samuels? Last time Conner was out Samuels got almost 40% the snap share so I was leaning him. Hoping Snell puts one on ground or struggles! Lol

Back