Steele... No newstands this year...

Not me but seems like his self-congratulating turns a lot folks off.

80% of the mag is self-congratulatory nonsense and completely irrelevant data.

His season predictions are laughable more often than not. But I suppose if I relied solely on the data he uses in his book then my predictions would be also be awful haha.

I still buy it out of habit and give it a quick read-through because why the heck not.

For my purposes I want quick rundowns on who is returning and who isn't, staff changes, etc. There's a 100+ teams and I don't want to have to sift through nonsense.

I would pay a lot of money if CK did a similar preview instead :shake:

Chris Andrews put out a team by team preview a few years back which I thought was really good. Bill Connely's team by team preview last year was also pretty solid and free.

If you can make me competently knowledgeable on any given team with roughly 20 min of reading time I will give you my money.

Chris Andrews put out a team by team preview a few years back which I thought was really good. Bill Connely's team by team preview last year was also pretty solid and free.

If you can make me competently knowledgeable on any given team with roughly 20 min of reading time I will give you my money.
Yeah I like Connelly a lot.

Just hard to get excited about sports anymore. The organizations, coaches, players, administrators, owners ... all of them seem diametrically opposed to everything I believe in other than the competition on the field. Just hard to want to give them my money or time.

Just hard to get excited about sports anymore. The organizations, coaches, players, administrators, owners ... all of them seem diametrically opposed to everything I believe in other than the competition on the field. Just hard to want to give them my money or time.

Agree, I'm only going to view them in terms of how they can help me make money.

I used to feel like it gave me a really strong edge to the early weeks of the season. Been quite the opposite last few years. He’s sort of whiffed on a lot of his most improved. But I still like it for the same reasons others do as the unofficial beginning of the season.

Not sure how this season will actually play out though. People out doing whatever they want but god forbid they go into an outside stadium half full.

I used to feel like it gave me a really strong edge to the early weeks of the season. Been quite the opposite last few years. He’s sort of whiffed on a lot of his most improved. But I still like it for the same reasons others do as the unofficial beginning of the season.

Not sure how this season will actually play out though. People out doing whatever they want but god forbid they go into an outside stadium half full.

Steele was the only game in town for so long, I don't think he adapted very well once there were dozens of sources out there providing the same service. He's fallen behind, and I guess that's part of the reason 2/3rds of his magazine is touting his past accomplishments.

Ha! This thread is funny all right because I've never even noticed the bragging. I see a blurb on the cover every year about "most accurate rankings for 40 straight years" or some such, but other than that I've never noticed any bragging.

I don't even glance at his national rankings anyway. I quit reading guy's guesses at final national ranking about the time I started driving, which in Oklahoma is when you hit junior high.

Even after all the mentions in this thread, I have no recollection of ever seeing bragging. I have no doubt it's there, it's just not in the parts I read.

I appreciate the names of people who posters feel do a better job of providing information though. I'll check out Connelly.

Last edited:
I am used to utilizing it and it has been helpful over the years. I cannot hate on the guy.

ya when does steele ever tout himself... super humble throughout the mag .....

I don't hate on Steele at all, it's just a very difficult small font to read on the printed version. The digital version was terrible two years ago, navigation features primitive. My other comment is Phil writes up too much historical info that is no longer relevant.

Add me to the list with Timh and cubsker.

He wastes half the space on each position talking about guys who are no longer on the team. Fine if you have unlimited space, but not on a crowded space. I'd prefer more time spent on the current year, but he's still the best out there

Last edited:
I use it for rosters, returning starters, past results, schedule right at the tip of my fingers.
Yea it’s easy to do that in the www. But when I’m sitting by he pool catching rays, it’s very handy.
Also you can hold it up with sunglasses on and act like your reading when some nice looking women are walking by.

Back