Stanley Cup Futures Discussion

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Sitting on Calgary, San Jose, Buffalo at 15:1 to win the cup from the preseason, which I like the way they have gone, save for CGY. Like having a couple to hedge out and make money come crunch time if I need to.

Lines from

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>601</TD><TD width=300>Anaheim Mighty Ducks </TD><TD width=65> +705 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>602</TD><TD width=300>Nashville Predators </TD><TD width=65> +740 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>603</TD><TD width=300>Detroit Red Wings </TD><TD width=65> +605 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>604</TD><TD width=300>Buffalo Sabres </TD><TD width=65> +605 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>605</TD><TD width=300>New Jersey Devils </TD><TD width=65> +1285 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>606</TD><TD width=300>Ottawa Senators </TD><TD width=65> +1015 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>607</TD><TD width=300>San Jose Sharks </TD><TD width=65> +1285 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>608</TD><TD width=300>Dallas Stars </TD><TD width=65> +2250 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>609</TD><TD width=300>Vancouver Canucks </TD><TD width=65> +2050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>610</TD><TD width=300>Minnesota Wild </TD><TD width=65> +3050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>611</TD><TD width=300>Calgary Flames </TD><TD width=65> +1615 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>612</TD><TD width=300>Tampa Bay Lightning </TD><TD width=65> +2550 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>613</TD><TD width=300>Pittsburgh Penguins </TD><TD width=65> +2050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>614</TD><TD width=300>Atlanta Thrashers </TD><TD width=65> +2050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>615</TD><TD width=300>Carolina Hurricanes </TD><TD width=65> +6050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>616</TD><TD width=300>Montreal Canadiens </TD><TD width=65> +4050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>617</TD><TD width=300>New York Islanders </TD><TD width=65> +3050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=55>618</TD><TD width=300>Toronto Maple Leafs </TD><TD width=65> +6050 </TD><TD width=200> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just a couple random thoughts

as the past playoffs have shown, the cup run is all about getting the hot goalie at the right time which is why i can see some value in a Minnesotta / Vancouver at +2050 and +3050

Wings IMO dont have the depth / quickness to win 16 games over the best teams in the West, wouldnt be surprised to see a repeat of last season.

Atlanta, while playing well has no experience in the playoffs and might lack a little size for a grind out series.

Sens will be the Sens in the playoffs and Alfie will disappear...

Good thread...

I think I agree on Wings but also think they will get a series or two this year.

Wigns are going to need the 1 seed to get that series win.

Big difference in getting 4 of 7 home games vs SJ or Calgary

I certainly dont like the Devils, especially at that price, they are wearing down and I have no doubts they are an early exit this season.

I went ahead and played Minny and Vancouver at those prices. Even with Nucks shitty recent history in the playoffs... Luongo is no Cloutier

Sitting with Minn at 48 to 1 from preseason. Will probably take a piece of Vancouver with you. Gl

Sitting with Minn at 48 to 1 from preseason. Will probably take a piece of Vancouver with you. Gl

Just couldnt 'see' them getting this kind of tending and playing like they have this year in the pre season. Quite the nice price you got, I like mine at +3050, so I can see what you're saying. :cheers:

Real good article here on if the playoffs started today... interesting matchups in the first round.

This is so funny, Santa, because I wanted to start talking about the Cup and playoffs today.

I need to get back to this thread a little later, but thanks for beating me to it.

Santa, good buys in the preseason. You will have some good opportunities in the postseason for some profit for sure.

I am just getting back into the NHL as CBB is winding down. I paid attention thru the season, just did not have enough time to bet anything too regularly.

I was all too happy to see Luongo go to a good team, and it looks to have paid off thus far. I always felt bad that he had to waste his talent mired in the franchise known as the Panthers. I will be very excited to see if he can continue his success into the playoffs.

Having said that, I agree that you gotta ride the hot goalie, so I would also agree that there could be some value in a Vancouver future.

I have more to look into however I will sure be watching with more regularity the final games of the season. Good Luck...

-Chris

Santa, I am going to open a Greeks account and put money on PIT, MIN, and VAN as I think one of these three teams are your champions.

Slim - thanks, sure like where I sit with them going into the playoff push.

I was all too happy to see Luongo go to a good team, and it looks to have paid off thus far. I always felt bad that he had to waste his talent mired in the franchise known as the Panthers. I will be very excited to see if he can continue his success into the playoffs.

Having said that, I agree that you gotta ride the hot goalie, so I would also agree that there could be some value in a Vancouver future.

Sometimes the hot goalie comes from the strangest of places. IE Cam Ward coming in for Gerber vs MTL, Rolosson and even Kiprusoff was just unbeatable after an OK season. JS GIguere... I could go on. Its all a matter of finding that one early and being able to get a good price for the most part.

A guy like Luongo is one who can easily do it, and thats why I took the price. He's carried teams in the highest of competition before, has 3 good stay at home defensemen in front of him for nearly 45 minutes of the game, give or take and the Canucks always seem to do what it takes to win. THey are fast up the middle and blue line to blue line and could pose some serious threats down low on the forecheck, the key being over a 4 game series.

DX, Hunt - I personally dont think Pitt will win, but they do have what it takes to win 4 rounds in the playoffs. Price is awfully nice I will say that. Its their blue line Im concerned about, and I've been saying it all season, they have exceded my expectations I will give them that so this might not be the first time, lol.

I'm going to be looking at some coaching matchups over the playoffs in the next few days. THere are good coaches, and there are good playoff coaches. Having a guy like Ken Hithcock on your bench does wonders. The guy just knew matchups / short change master etc etc which again is where home ice comes in with the playoff push.

I'm a Pens fan and I'll say that I do NOT think this is your champion this year. They're too young, Fleury's not consistent enough yet.

I will say that I think they get through the first round, maybe the second depending on the draw.

I'm not crazy about drawing the Rangers first--which is where I think they end up, in second.

I think the Pens are going to find a way to win this division.

If they don't, I'm not really crazy about Ottawa either, but I'm not sure if this Sens team is as good as their ones in the past. I'd really prefer a nice soft matchup in the first round.

I don't know a lot about Atlanta, but I'd kind of like TB, maybe even the Thrashers if possible.

I'd really like to know more about the Western Conference, because I'm a big believer that good money can be made in series prices as well as individual games in the playoffs.

Any matchups you guys see that could be money makers?

haven't even thought about this yet. been so busy, haven't even had time to cap games in a while.

anyways, i think the longshots have a great chance this year...at first glance. all four at the top can be beat, especially if they run up against a hot goalie. and the four in the 2nd tier (NJ, OTT, SJ, Calgary) don't do it for me this year at all. gun to the head, i'd take SJ outta that bunch...but not confidently.

i seriosuly think Pittsburgh is gonna make a helluva run though, from a dog's perspective...despite the goaltending issues.

but back to the four favorites...outta those, Anaheim and Buffalo are built the best for the playoffs this year, imho. doesn't mean any of the four favs can't get taken out, and early...jsut those are the 2 teams i see as being built the best for the playoff run.

If they don't, I'm not really crazy about Ottawa either, but I'm not sure if this Sens team is as good as their ones in the past. I'd really prefer a nice soft matchup in the first round.

Sens alot different this year than in teams past, they are just as happy winning a game 2-0 than 6-1 like last season. They are a bit more physical, but with Mr lisp at the helm even Therrien can out coach him...sorry, couldnt resist.

I'd really like to know more about the Western Conference, because I'm a big believer that good money can be made in series prices as well as individual games in the playoffs.

Take a look at this link

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playoffmatchups;_ylt=AjrrRxUChg.AiCeqD5q2.p57vLYF

The only dominant fave over the dog right now is nashville over Calgary.
The rest are split 2-2 etc. Nice opportunities for say a Minny to take out an Anaheim, especialy in a 7 game series where snipers get frustrated with good tending, you saw the Ducks last season when they bowed out look real frustrated, like "What do we have to do to beat this guy" etc.

SJ I think might be a fave in a series vs the Wings even with the lower seeding.

Penguins run will undoubtably come with a draw, favorablly by finishing up hte season in 2nd.

Vancouver is my pick to win the cup this year. My other pick, which is a bit of a darkhorse at the moment, but theyll be dangerous if they sneak in, is the Montreal Canadiens. Theyre looking more like the 1986 canadiens everyday ( A bunch of hard working no name rookies/american leaguers with a hot goalie). And Huet will probably be back if they do get in the playoffs.

Hey, hey, hey. Easy on the Penguin-bashing there.

Just give the Pens the right matchup and you'll make a lot of money on that first round series.

inside joke joe

In all seriousness, if they get the division title they'll win the series but Im afraid of the price they will put out.

I can see why you'd think that, but I'm not concerned about that until round two.

I kept worrying about this team on back to back nights on the road and things like that, but every time I did, they came out strong and played great. They're so young--mostly--they can handle it.

I'm more concerned about the effort they'll put out to win the first series.

I think they'll do it, but I think they won't realize what a marathon the playoffs are until after they've sort of blown all their energy in round one.

Back