Stalking the Thursday Umps, Weather, etc.

Hollywood Beaker

Stalking the umps
Umps we know:

NYY: Davis
Det: Nauert
Mil: Adam Hamari (Major League Debut. Filling in for Fairchild for this series). http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4625244
Wsh: Wendelstedt
Bal: Will Little (Major League Debut)

Umps we're stalking:

Meals was in TB
Everitt was in Mia
Winters was in Oak
Tichenor was in Sea
Johnson was in Bos
Hirschbeck was in KC
Cuzzi was in ChiW
Bell was in Hou
Blaser was in SD
Danley was in LAD

Games we're stalking:

NYM/Col
Tor/Bos
KC/Min
Phi/LAD

For those that have followed the umps for a long time... any particular trends to take away from previous umpires making debuts? Do they typically have a bigger strike zone than a normal umpire to start with or what have you found?

I will be watching both of those games closely today to try to determine a strike zone for these guys.

Reds - Don't really see anything going back years and years with these virgin umps changing anything too drastically. They get to this level because they are perceived by their bosses to be good enough consistently to deserve it. Obviously there will be biases (with big AND little zones) so the key is to try to figure it out and exploit it.

Off the top of my head...Baker has quite a large strikezone but the jury is still out on some others (Fagan, Rackley, Ripperger, Tumpane, to name a few).

wow, easy under for me there now. No brainer at this price. Weird start time, getaway in and out for Mets. Should be low scoring for sure.

Will Little made a mistake last night on a close play at first base involving Machado (trying to break up the no-hitter in the 5th inning, he was safe)...

Now Kluber strikes out Machado on a bad swing in the dirt. Machado said something to him walking by and the umpire immediately threw him out. Not sure what he said but it looks like Little might have a little thin skin.

[h=3]OU Trends[/h][TABLE="class: data"]
<TBODY>[TR]
[TD="class: datahead, colspan: 2"]Philadelphia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: datacell, colspan: 2"]
  • Over is 5-0 in Phillies last 5 overall.
  • Over is 5-0 in Phillies last 5 on grass.
  • Over is 4-0 in Phillies last 4 games as an underdog.
  • Over is 6-1 in Phillies last 7 games following a win.
  • Over is 5-1 in Phillies last 6 road games.
  • Over is 5-1 in Phillies last 6 vs. National League West.
  • Over is 5-1 in Phillies last 6 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
  • Over is 4-1 in Phillies last 5 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5.
  • Over is 4-1 in Phillies last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
  • Under is 4-1 in Phillies last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing record.
  • Over is 4-1 in Phillies last 5 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
  • Over is 7-3 in Phillies last 10 during game 1 of a series.
  • Over is 6-0 in Pettibones last 6 starts on grass.
  • Over is 4-0 in Pettibones last 4 starts as an underdog.
  • Over is 6-0 in Pettibones last 6 starts overall.
  • Over is 4-1 in Pettibones last 5 starts vs. a team with a losing record.
  • Over is 4-1 in Pettibones last 5 road starts.
  • Over is 4-1 in Pettibones last 5 starts as a road underdog.
[/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: data"]
<TBODY>[TR]
[TD="class: datahead, colspan: 2"]LA Dodgers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: datacell, colspan: 2"]
  • Over is 8-1 in Dodgers last 9 games as a favorite.
  • Under is 5-1 in Dodgers last 6 vs. National League East.
  • Under is 4-1 in Dodgers last 5 overall.
  • Under is 4-1 in Dodgers last 5 on grass.
  • Under is 4-1 in Dodgers last 5 Thursday games.
  • Under is 4-1 in Dodgers last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
  • Over is 19-6-1 in Dodgers last 26 games as a home favorite.
  • Over is 9-3-1 in Dodgers last 13 home games vs. a team with a losing record.
  • Under is 11-4-2 in Dodgers last 17 games as a home favorite of -151 to -200.
  • Over is 19-7-1 in Dodgers last 27 home games with the total set at 7.0-8.5.
  • Over is 13-5-1 in Dodgers last 19 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
  • Under is 5-2 in Dodgers last 7 vs. a team with a losing record.
  • Over is 5-2 in Dodgers last 7 home games.
  • Under is 4-1 in Greinkes last 5 starts as a favorite.
[/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

There are things you will get thrown out of the game for. Players know it managers know it.....just because will threw him out of game doesn't mean he has thin skin. He could have said ;you are fucking horseshit; that is automatic ejection....unless you want those millionaires walking all over you every night

Will little is an absolute awesome guy....he doesn't have thin skin at all....he did what he must do....what all umpires must do..... to keep control and respect in these managers and players eyes.

I just would like to know what Machado said. Kid is 20 years old and that's the first time he's been thrown out. In fact, he had played every inning of every Baltimore game at 3B this year. So something happened that I didn't see but I watched it 2-3 times and didn't see anything (and trust me I was looking).

Again, I don't know. Look forward to seeing him work again; obviously a 1 game sample doesn't teach me anything.

really believe ejection had more to do w/ carryover from night before rather than what Machado said.

Back