Stadiums you've been to, Stadiums you want to go to

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Cool thing about college football is the campuses and stadiums make for unique destinations. Where you seen a game and where would you like to go?

I've been:
NCSt, Duke, Pitt old, Pitt current, Tennessee, Ohio St, Michigan, Akron, Bowling Green, Kent State, Missouri, Nebraska, Army, UNLV, Colorado State (old stadium), Wyoming, CU Boulder, Vanderbilt. Been to Penn St but not for a game.

I'd like to go to:
Utah, Utah St, BYU, Wisconsin, Clemson at night, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Air Force, Navy, anywhere in pacific northwest

The Horseshoe, Columbus, OH...been to at least 100 games....maybe 10 or so OSU/Michigan games, OSU/Texas, OSU/Oklahoma, OSU/LSU

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN--Saw Holy Buckeye game of 2002 when Krenzel throws bomb on 4th down

Bengals Stadium, Cincinnati, OH--Saw OSU barely hang on vs. Bearcats in 2002.

The Big House, Ann Arbor, MI...saw numerous OSU/Michigan including Charles Woodson game, Tressel first win over Michigan, Beanie Wells going for 2 bills, the blowout 2 years ago

Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN--Saw OSU squeak one out a few years back. Also went to a drunken frat party as my friend's son was pledging

Peden Stadium, Athens, OH--Have seen numerous games but most memorable was Ohio U. 2OT upset of Pitt

The Rubber Bowl, Akron, OH--Saw the Bobcats whip UA one year in the late 1990s

Memorial Stadium, Champaigne, IL--Saw a few OSU blowouts wins here and saw the Bobcats beat Juice Williams & Co. on a last-second field goal

Ryan Field, Evanston, IL --Saw Buckeyes win several games here. Took the purple line.

California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, CA--Kenny Guiton show in a big win over Cal. Tailgating was strong.

The Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA--Saw the Buckeyes get their asses whipped by USC. Beanie was hurt that game; Tailgating was great.

Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX--Saw Colt McCoy get sacked about 15 times and the Buckeyes romped.

Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA--Went to Auburn/Ga game with my cousin. Georgia rolled em.

Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR--Saw Oregon St/Washington St game. They have metal bleachers you stomp on to make noise. Worst live tackling I've ever seen. I think Oregon State held on to win.

Sugar Bowl, Superdome-Mercedes Benz Stadium, New Orleans, LA--Saw the epic Buckeyes win over Bama.

I'd really like to go to a Notre Dame game, and go to the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
Clemson:
Clemson Memorial (first time was 1970 vs. Pat Sullivan and his Tigers). Note: runs east-west.

Sun Devil Stadium - 1976 - Elvis Peacock, Horace Ivory, & Co. demolished Wyoming 45-7 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bobby Dodd Stadium at historic Grant Field - 1977 - the first game after Tech had finally made its first ever trip to Clemson - both were losses for the Ramblin' Wreck.

Jacksonville - 1978 v. Ohio State, Woody's last game and Danny's first - also 12/31/1988 - Vince Dooley's last game, 27-24 over Andre Rison's Michigan State team

Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium - 1979 - Peach Bowl v. Baylor and Mike Singletary

Brown Stadium - note: runs east-west - first game I saw there was 1984 v. Yale -- http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/23/sports/brown-beats-yale-with-interceptions.html

Baltimore Memorial - 1986 Clemson-Maryland

Sanford Stadium - first game I saw there was 1988. UGA beat UT 28-17, and amazingly it rained on the north stands most of the second half while the south stands didn't get a drop. note: runs east-west

Citrus Bowl, Orlando, 1/1/89 - Barry Swizer's last game - 13-6 win for Clemson - play of the game was a gimpy Jamelle Holieway losing 18 yards from the Clemson one to seal the deal.

Tiger Stadium -- first time there was 1990 - took my Coonass girlfriend to see LSU beat UGA 18-13. Also saw Ole Miss lose there in front of 45,000 fans on a cold night in 1993 in the depths of the Hallman era.

Raymond James. Tampa, 1/1/91 -- Clemson/Illinois - proved that the football gods take vengeance on a team whose fans don't recycle.

Vaught-Hemingway, season opener 1992 vs. Auburn, Rebs jump out a 45-7 lead and win 45-21.

Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson - 1992 - Rebels beat LSU 32-0 in the last ever matchup played in Jackson.

Superdome - 1993 - Ole Miss 38 Tulane 0 - my date got crazy and stole a trombone from the Tulane band and started playing it.

Georgia Dome -- Dumbass UK player intercepts a pass to seal the victory but decides to run instead of taking a knee. He fumbles, and Clemson comes back to win 14-13.

To be continued.

Last edited:
In my sad young life i've been to more German soccer stadiums than college ones here. Just Bryant Denny a bunch of times (Bama)

I really wanna go to a Notre Dame game. Sparty, Gators, Buffaloes. A lot.

This is embarrassing ... I feel bad for me ....

UNLV Sam Boyd
Syracuse Carrier Dome
UTEP Sun Bowl
New Mexico University Stadium *renamed to something else now
NMSU Aggie Memorial Stadium
Army-Navy Linoln Financial Field
Cotton Bowl - Texas/OU games
Texas - Darrell Royal Texas Memorial

Sadly, I cannot think of another ... and you will notice an incredible lack of big name venues on my list.

NFL games at
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Diego
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Dallas
San Francisco
Denver
Oakland

MLB at
Houston
Angels
San Francisco
San Diego
Dodgers
Wrigley
Kansas City
White Sox
St louis Busch 2 (never got busch1)
Rangers

Hockey
Boston

Edited to add nfl and mlb and hockey hehe

Last edited:
Aloha Stadium
War Memorial Stadium (Hula Bowl Maui)
Gillette Stadium
Rose Bowl
Jack Murphy Stadium
Mile High Stadium
Citrus Bowl
Folsom Field
Washington-Grizzly Stadium
McGuirk Stadium
Oakland Coliseum
Darrell Royal Texas Memorial
Rice-Eccles Stadium

I really would love an SEC experience, particularly at Neyland Stadium. I've walked around it during the off-season and was in awe. I'd like to go to Cowboy Stadium and Lambeau too.

Gonna try to do this chronologically, so we start with:

Jack Trice, Ames, IA: where I grew up playing football in the parking lot while parents tailgaited
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City...not sure why I was there but I was, young so fast forward
Ryan Field, Evanston, IL...been there for a couple NU/UI games...mind you I'm an ISU fan and one time it was so blizzard I couldn't see my hands, slipped kick knocked Iowa out of a NYE bowl I believe
Qualcomm, San Diego...still in high school, BYU/Iowa Holiday Bowl...Ty Detmer at QB...tie. And no booze on one side of the stadium
Faurot Field, Columbia, MO...to watch Troy Davis break 2000 in 1995
Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS...a couple times, nothing monumental other than a storm and the lights went out, they discussed playing Nebraska at one end because of this for awhile but finally all lights came on. The girl I was with was pissed/accommodating. She shoulda been pissed lol. It was pouring.
Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE...against Oklahoma, Big 8 game if I recall...nonetheless, it was Tommie Frazier etc, final score was 37-0, it was a ton of fun
OU Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK...ended up there for homecoming as a random road trip in college. They drilled KU.
Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso...before I moved here, watched Iowa/ASU...spent NYE in El Paso. Didn't know about Chico's Tacos.
Houck Stadium, Cape Girardeau, MO...had to throw this in because I did go to a game at SEMO against Morehead St and the chant "We Want" "More Head" will always stick with me. A college memory forever. And fell in love for a night.
Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ...of course I live here, been to many games, OSU/Miami Fiesta among many other Fiestas before it moved and plenty of ASU games
Independence Stadium, Shreveport, LA...ISU/Bama...when Seneca Wallace became a somebody but lost to Bama on a controversial kick that possibly went over the uprights by Tony Delk. Still convinced it did, but no good.
Alamodome, San Antonio, TX...same trip as above, actually been there a couple times for the Alamo Bowl for Iowa...we're a split family so gotta deal with it. But San Antonio is one of my favorite cities around the holidays for sure. Riverwalk wins.
Rose Bowl, Pasasenda, CA...went out for the Natty between Miami and Nebraska, obv a route but unbelievable atmosphere. Love Pasadena, the Rose Bowl has no peers that I've been mad aware of.
Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN...buddy that lived in the K begged me to fly out for the UT/Notre Dame game on Tue, told him I'd do it if I could get a flight for $200 or less (game Sat)...pricelined a flight at $180 and I was like fuck me...he bought the tix, 50 yd line 19 up, was a fun trip in all and great to see that place on a game day, night game to boot so it was a full day.
Arizona Stadium, Tucson, AZ...would rather be sent to prison and I'm not even a Sun Devil Fan...they hate you and want to fight regardless of who you are

I'd like to see games at many stadiums in the South but I'd need more than just a football game to visit. Can say that about anywhere really, I guess football is about the 10th thing on my list I care about on a checklist of things to do now, but of course would want to experience some great places. Getting old sucks I guess. 10 years ago I'd give you a different answer.

In my sad young life i've been to more German soccer stadiums than college ones here. Just Bryant Denny a bunch of times (Bama)

I really wanna go to a Notre Dame game. Sparty, Gators, Buffaloes. A lot.

Sounds like some fun ones to look forward to...

But...

Spartan Stadium? Hmmmm.... At least tickets will be dirt cheap.

You guys have some great ones for sure...

I will just be an observer in this thread for my two stops...

I've been to:

Bryant Denny
Jordan-Hare (Auburn)
LSU
Sugar Bowl
Rose Bowl
Georgia Dome (old one)
Jacksonville's stadium (Alabama vs FSU in 2007)
Ladd-Peebles (Senior Bowl and whatever they call the bowl game in Mobile AL now)
Miss St
Duke's "stadium" (Alabama @ Duke in 2010)
UNC (walked in for about 3 minutes before I headed to the above game)
Titans stadium in Nashville for Music City Bowl

I think that's it

I'd like to go to the rest of the SEC stadiums, and then some of the big ones: Ohio St, Michigan (I've been to Ann Arbor and have seen it, but it was summer), Penn St, Texas, Nebraska, Cotton Bowl, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech (Thursday night game in particular)

Been to:

Doak-Campbell
Bryant Denny
Jordan Hare
Legion Field (Iron Bowl back in the day)
Crampton (Camelia Bowl 3x - good matchups between schools I normally would not get a chance to see)
Ben Griffin
LSUs Death Valley
Troy’s Stadium - used to be Movie Gallery, don’t know its name now.
Neyland Stadium - father was a huge Bama fan. 3rd weekend in October was an annual thing.

I would love to bucket list the rivalries. All the National powerhouse games. Wouldn’t care which stadium I watched them in when it comes to the home/away type series. Would like to go BIG 10 country in the winter to watch the games in the cold. So different than it is in the south.

The 1st one I think I want to see is Army/Navy.

Good call on Army-Navy. Have a good buddy that is a Naval Academy grad, he's promised to take me at some point. I also forgot about Legion Field. What a dump that place was and still is

Been to (used to go to a lot of road games until we had kids):
The OB (many times). She was a dump but she was home
Hard Rock/Dolphins Stadium (many times) - not the best situation but easily the highest end stadium in D1 football
Tennesee/Rocky Top/Neyland (1 time) - Canes over UT. Awesome atmosphere
Happy Valley/PSU (1 time) - Canes over PSU. Awesome atmosphere. Crazy tailgating. Not so friendly drunk frat tailgaters if you wore the other teams colors.
Norman OK (1 time) - Canes lose to OU. Great people in Norman.
The swamp/Gainesville (1 time) - Canes over UF
Doak in Tally (5 times) - Canes 3-2 vs FSU in those five
Bobby Dodd in Atlanta (2 times ) - Canes 1-1 vs GT in those 2
UNC (1 times) - Canes lost that game to UNC
Wake Forest (1 time) - Canes best Wake
Clemson (1 time) - Canes won an awesome double over thriller. Tied with Nebraska with best opponent fans ever. Loved being able to walk on the field after the game and touch the rock.
Blacksburg/Lane Stadium (2 times) - Canes 1-1 in those games. Won the big one to punch the ticket to the Rose Bowl back in 2001.
NC State (1 time) - Canes beat NC St.
Boston College/Alumni Stadium (1 time) - Canes over BC
Franklin Field (1 times) - Canes over temple
Lincoln Financial/Philly (1 time) Canes over Temple
Maryland (1 time) - Canes lose to MD
Rutgers (2 times) - Canes over Rutgers 2-0
Pittsburgh/Heinz Field (1 time) - Canes over Pitt
Morgan Town WV (1 time) - Canes win over WV. One of the craziest scenes ever as I watched a brawl break out in the student section. WV fans fighting WV fans, throwing people down rows of bleachers.
Syracuse/Carrier Dome (1 time) - Canes win over the cuse
Shreveport LA (1 time) - Canes over La Tech
Houston/Reliant stadium (1 time) - Canes over Houston

Been to Bowl Games:
Rose Bowl - Canes over Nebraska for the title. Nebraska fans are awesome.
Fiesta Bowl - Canes robbed by Terry Porter.
Sugar Bowl - Canes over Florida. Great Game. Awesome time in New Orleans.
Orange Bowl - Canes over FSU
Peach Bowl - Canes destroyed by LSU

Many others for NFL, etc.

On the list:
Cocktail Party (the real, non PC name)
Iron Bowl (either location, maybe both)
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Wisconsin
Red River Shootout (the real, non PC name)
Civil War (either location)
Apple Cup (either location)
Notre Dame
LSU
Michigan (For an OSU/Michigan game)
Egg bowl (prob at Miss St. Want more cowbell)
Nebraska (when they are good)
Dallas stadium next September when Miami plays LSU
Wherever Miami plays Bama to start the season in an few years
Playoff Championship Game - wherever
Army/Navy Game

Last edited:
my list is kind of pathetic.

memorial obv - haven't been in quite awhile now, though.
jack trice - they sure do get excited about first downs there. I talked a lot of shit that night. the lack of bars near the stadium is annoying.
faurot field - tommie frazier's first start.
sun devil stadium - 96 Fiesta Bowl, 62-24 vs Florida
Wrigley
Old Yankee Stadium - 3rd last game there.
Chase Field - this year, Rodney blows it costing me DBacks ML and the Under.
Coors Field
Camden Yards
Kaufmann - last game there was the season opener in 2016 after the WS win the year before which was cool.
New Busch - wasn't a Cubs game, unfortunately.
Metrodome - KIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PUCKETT!

This inspires a trip down Memory Lane...

Byrd Stadium (MD)
Charlottesville (UVA)
Duke (Wallace Wade Stadium)
WVU
Michigan
SMU (Gerald Ford Stadium - Armed Forces Bowl 2010)
Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium
Miami Pro Player Stadium (2002 Orange Bowl)
Georgia Dome (2002 Peach Bowl)
Superdome (2009 Sugar Bowl) and Army/Tulane
Finley Stadium (2006 FCS Championship UMass/App St.)
Veterans Stadium (Phil) - Army/Navy
Ravens Stadium (Army/Navy and MD games)
Memorial Stadium Baltimore
Navy Marine Corps Stadium
Citrus Bowl Orlando
Unitas Stadium Towson

Bucket List
Rose Bowl Palo Alto
The Grove
Georgia - Between the Hedges
Auburn
Beaver Stadium
South Carolina
Tallahassee

Jesus i'm so jealous of you guys. I second the above comment. Definitely the downside of being a young college buck. But Bama isn't a bad place to keep going to.

I vote for a ctg road trip

Jesus i'm so jealous of you guys. I second the above comment. Definitely the downside of being a young college buck. But Bama isn't a bad place to keep going to.

I vote for a ctg road trip

I went to the Army-Navy game with Garfather, Horses, and Dmoney in 2015. Was a great time.

Reactions: KJ
I run an annual trip for a bunch of friends from NJ, we've had anywhere from 12-35 guys on a trip, to a different college game every year, this year headed to Arkansas. Here's where we've visited:

Notre Dame - Notre Dame Stadium
Tennessee - Neyland Stadium
LSU - Tiger Stadium
Michigan - Michigan Stadium
Florida - Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
Wisconsin - Camp Randall Stadium
South Carolina - Williams Brice Stadium
Clemson - Memorial Stadium
Geogia - Sanford Stadium
Ole Miss - Vaught-Hemingway Stadium and The Grove
Arizona St - Sun Devil Stadium
Oregon - Autzen Stadium
Florida St - Doak Campbell Stadium
Texas - Texas Memorial Stadium
Texas A&M - Kyle Field
Auburn - Jordan-Hare Stadium
Washington - Husky Stadium

Other games I've been to: Raymond James Stadium - USF, Rutgers Stadium - Rutgers, Beaver Stadium - Penn St, Ohio Stadium - Ohio St , Giants Stadium Army-Navy, Orange Bowl - Miami, MicronPC.com Bowl at Pro Player, Citrus Bowl

Been to all Pac-12 stadiums, all Big 12 stadiums except Texas Tech, about half the SEC houses, and a few scattered others like Houston U, Rice, SMU, Cotton Bowl, Utah.

I don't pay any attention to the inside of a stadium. I'm interested in the natural setting, how intense the crowd is, and the game day atmosphere. Most are just stadiums, but a few stand out for one reason or another:

USC games at the Coliseum--bad location in the middle of S Central, but one of the great atmospheres in college football. And an added plus is more stunningly beautiful women than any place on the planet. If you are lucky enough to get invited into one of the plush alumni tents or parties it is even more amazing. USC is one of the richest, most powerful universities in existence and you can see it on gameday.

Kansas University--rarely has a good team, rarely has an intense crowd, not much intensity on gameday, but the stadium has a beautiful location and the way it is built into a canyon is unique. I can't think of another stadium in the country that looks the way it does from the outside.

Rice University--tiny campus in a rich neighborhood of Houston, but a gigantic stadium--once hosted a Super Bowl--right in the middle of campus that seems to be bigger than the rest of the campus put together. It's not, but I think it still holds the record as the stadium with the biggest seating capacity ratio to number of students enrolled.

Cal--like Kansas, rarely a good team and rarely an intense crowd, but a beautiful location with a mountain on one side where students climb up and watch the game for free and a view of the the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges and the beautiful SF Bay from parts of the stadium.

Stanford--Stanford rebuilt their stadium a few years back and the new one does not have the classic Greek look or the party atmosphere of the old one, but the weather is almost always perfect and the tailgating is the best in the world. I attended grad school there and have a ton of Stanford friends and you are not talking about frying a few brats and downing some shooters. Catered buffets from the finest restaurants, fine wine, first class all the way. Not up to USC standards, but plenty of beautiful women.

Oklahoma--got my undergrad degree from OU. When you consider all the great, high scoring, teams OU has had over the decades it seems like they would have great crowds, but it's just the opposite. For one thing, the stadium was built one part at a time over many years and no two parts seem to match. The main design concern seems to have been make sure no one has a steep climb. The result is the stands rake back at such a slight angle most of the seats seem far away from the field. That may be why you don't hear the huge roar from crowds you hear at other places. The other reason is old geezers own all the good seats and the most common yell you hear in the stadium is "down in front" when any young fans stand up to cheer. You can go to the OU boards and you will always see a thread or two where young fans are fed up with the old geezers who have all the good seats telling everyone else to sit down. A portion of the crowd is intense, but doesn't compare with SEC-type fanatics.

San Diego State--the most memorable thing is something I've never seen at any other stadium. As I walked up to the gate for a night game there were about 100 or so bodies, male and female, laid out in the shade next to a stadium wall. It was students who had passed out from drinking before the game ever started. Don't know if that happens every game or was just a one-time thing, but it was a sight to see.

What's great is It brought back great memories for me typing up the post and I'm sure it did for most others too

kansas is a really nice looking campus. been on campus, but not to a game.

I said this before but will say again...

NU fans at UM in 2011 were awesome. Great group. Except for one jackass directly behind me. I was lucky not to go to jail that day because I really wanted to.

Nebraska fans have been far and away the best fans I've ever experienced. Lincoln was awesome, my buddy is an OU fan and in OU gear and they basically just acted like...welcome to Lincoln, hope you enjoy your time. We're gonna kick your asses, but have some fun.

Alabama fans were unbelievably wonderful as well at that bowl game...very complimentary of the ISU team after the game, you can imagine in Shreveport everyone ends up at the boats after the game anyway. Great fans, great people. Can't say a bad thing about em that I experienced. And prolly 24 blonde baton twirlers with the band....yeesh.

Last edited:
yeah, i can truly say that i've never seen an opposing fan given a hard time in lincoln. if it were to happen, everyone else would step in and tell the offender to gtfo. Places I've heard were really bad for our fans were PSU, Missouri, and Colorado. I heard Oregon was really great this year. I think it's wise for when Nebraska to play out of conference home & homes that Nebraska plays the home game first. Seems to set the right tone for the return visit.

Do people go to their football games?

nebraska fans would have more than half their stadium red. I think they would draw when they were good for a few years with Mangino. Usually, they're just so bad that I don't blame the fans for not showing. I have no interest in attending Nebraska games right now either.

nebraska fans would have more than half their stadium red. I think they would draw when they were good for a few years with Mangino. Usually, they're just so bad that I don't blame the fans for not showing. I have no interest in attending Nebraska games right now either.

O I thought you said Kansas. But i'd kinda be surprised about Nebraska. Pretty historic program and it's not like they have basketball to look forward to

College
Stanford
Cal
San Jose State
Nevada-1st Kaperneck game as a freshman vs Grambling
Syracuse
Pasadena-National Champion Texas vs USC. Greatest experience I've ever had
NFL
Giants Stadium-1st Pro game for Eric Dickerson and 1st game for head coaches Bill Parcells and John Robinson
Shea Stadium- Jets vs Houston and Ken Stabler
Foxboro
Candlestick
Levi Stadium-49ers
Oakland Coliseum
Anaheim Stadium-Rams
Jack Murphy
MLB
Old and New Yankee Stadium
Shea Stadium
Fenway
SF AT&T- By far the greatest sports venue I've been to.
Oakland Coliseum-Was there for the Derek Jeter flip game
Dodger Stadium
Anaheim Stadium
Coors Field
Jacobs Field
NBA
Madison Square Garden
Oracle Arena-Dubs
Nassau Coliseum
Sacramento
NHL
Hartford
Sharks

It was real for quite awhile, but not so much the last maybe 5 years or so. The Athletic Dept will go to some of their more well off corporate donors and "encourage" them to buy up some tickets.

Been to all Pac-12 stadiums, all Big 12 stadiums except Texas Tech, about half the SEC houses, and a few scattered others like Houston U, Rice, SMU, Cotton Bowl, Utah.

I don't pay any attention to the inside of a stadium. I'm interested in the natural setting, how intense the crowd is, and the game day atmosphere. Most are just stadiums, but a few stand out for one reason or another:

USC games at the Coliseum--bad location in the middle of S Central, but one of the great atmospheres in college football. And an added plus is more stunningly beautiful women than any place on the planet. If you are lucky enough to get invited into one of the plush alumni tents or parties it is even more amazing. USC is one of the richest, most powerful universities in existence and you can see it on gameday.

Kansas University--rarely has a good team, rarely has an intense crowd, not much intensity on gameday, but the stadium has a beautiful location and the way it is built into a canyon is unique. I can't think of another stadium in the country that looks the way it does from the outside.

Rice University--tiny campus in a rich neighborhood of Houston, but a gigantic stadium--once hosted a Super Bowl--right in the middle of campus that seems to be bigger than the rest of the campus put together. It's not, but I think it still holds the record as the stadium with the biggest seating capacity ratio to number of students enrolled.

Cal--like Kansas, rarely a good team and rarely an intense crowd, but a beautiful location with a mountain on one side where students climb up and watch the game for free and a view of the the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges and the beautiful SF Bay from parts of the stadium.

Stanford--Stanford rebuilt their stadium a few years back and the new one does not have the classic Greek look or the party atmosphere of the old one, but the weather is almost always perfect and the tailgating is the best in the world. I attended grad school there and have a ton of Stanford friends and you are not talking about frying a few brats and downing some shooters. Catered buffets from the finest restaurants, fine wine, first class all the way. Not up to USC standards, but plenty of beautiful women.

Oklahoma--got my undergrad degree from OU. When you consider all the great, high scoring, teams OU has had over the decades it seems like they would have great crowds, but it's just the opposite. For one thing, the stadium was built one part at a time over many years and no two parts seem to match. The main design concern seems to have been make sure no one has a steep climb. The result is the stands rake back at such a slight angle most of the seats seem far away from the field. That may be why you don't hear the huge roar from crowds you hear at other places. The other reason is old geezers own all the good seats and the most common yell you hear in the stadium is "down in front" when any young fans stand up to cheer. You can go to the OU boards and you will always see a thread or two where young fans are fed up with the old geezers who have all the good seats telling everyone else to sit down. A portion of the crowd is intense, but doesn't compare with SEC-type fanatics.

San Diego State--the most memorable thing is something I've never seen at any other stadium. As I walked up to the gate for a night game there were about 100 or so bodies, male and female, laid out in the shade next to a stadium wall. It was students who had passed out from drinking before the game ever started. Don't know if that happens every game or was just a one-time thing, but it was a sight to see.
Pretty cool

Back