St. Louis vs. Pittsburgh & Arizona vs. Colorado Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for Today at (+250) Features High-Scoring Fun in Colorado

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 7:35 p.m. ET at PNC Park in Pittsburgh

Who Starts for St. Louis?

Jack Flaherty starts for the Cardinals tonight.

After enduring an extended absence, Flaherty returned on September 5 to face Washington.

While he collected the loss, he can hardly be blamed for it: he allowed one run in five innings, striking out six batters while walking one.

As evident in his average fastball velocity in this start against the Nationals and how it compares with his average velocity last year, Flaherty is back to full strength.

Flaherty in Pittsburgh

Flaherty is in a strong spot tonight because he is pitching in Pittsburgh.

In his career, he is 5-1 with a 1.95 ERA in six career starts in the Pirates' venue.

Flaherty's Pitches

Primarily, Flaherty throws a fastball, slider, curveball, and sinker.

These pitches combine to make up about 95 percent of his arsenal.

They are characterized by strong location.

Heat maps show the frequency with which he places each pitch along the borders of the strike zone, where he uses their movement to toy with the batter's ability to discern whether they will land in or out of the strike zone.

He uses his strong command to play pitches well off each other and to surprise batters.

For example, may follow a low slider with a high curveball, the latter affecting surprise because curveballs are typically placed low in the strike zone.

With these pitches, Flaherty merits optimism tonight because Pittsburgh ranks 29thin slugging .351 against them from righties.

Who Starts for Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh starts JT Brubaker tonight.

By far, Brubaker is his team's least profitable pitcher for bettors to back.

Overall, Pittsburgh is yielding -7.30 units in his starts.

While he has been profitable as a favorite, he has been horrible as an underdog and, in general, against NL Central rivals.

Brubaker vs. Cardinal Batters

Brubaker looks unreliable today because he matches up poorly against Cardinal batters given the pitches that he throws.

Most often, he throws a sinker, slider, and curveball.

These three pitches combine for almost 90 percent of his arsenal.

Cardinal batters rank 2ndin slugging against these pitches from righties.

Among others, look for top-tier sluggers Paul Goldschmidt and Nolan Arenado.

Both bad over .300 and slug over .700 in 15 or 16 career at-bats against Brubaker.

Pirates' Trend

While the Pirates won last night, it is generally a good idea to fade them off a win.

They are a bad team this year because they rarely manage to string wins together.

Pittsburgh lost the last four games that directly followed a win.

Pertinently to my favorite play for this game, they lost all four games by multiple runs.

Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Colorado Rockies
Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 8:10 p.m. ET at Coors Field in Denver

Who Starts for Arizona?

Madison Bumgarner starts for Arizona tonight.

Bumgarner is coming off a positive start, but he deserves zero confidence tonight as a result of it.

That start came against Milwaukee, which has been one of the worst lefty-hitting teams all season.

Before facing Milwaukee, he had allowed five earned runs or more in four straight outings.

Because Bumgarner so often struggles and is intimidating only in view of the pitcher he used to be, he is a strong "over" pitcher.

The "over" is hitting in 58.3 percent of his starts this year.

Bumgarner vs. Rockie Batters

One reason why the "over" will hit in this game is that Bumgarner is a lefty.

Colorado has one of the best lefty-hitting lineups, although it is notoriously stronger at home than on the road.

Whereas the Rockies slug .369 on the road against lefties, which explains why they struggled in one of two games against Bumgarner in Arizona, they slug .515 at home against lefties.

Who Starts for Colorado?

Jose Urena starts for the Rockies tonight.

Urena has faced Arizona twice and suffered consistently.

He yielded an FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) over 8.00 in both starts.

Diamondback hitters are reliable tonight because Urena throws his sinker over half the time and easily more than any other pitch.

They rank fourth in slugging against the sinker from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay Cardinals RL at -120 & Diamondbacks/Rockies Over 11.5 at -110 at +250 odds with BetOnline

I like cards also, trying to figure out how I want to go about playing them? Been waiting to see where they put flaherty k prop at, I doubt they come low again but never know. Flaherty looked fantastic in his 1st start back, not just the fastball velo but his knuckle curve had some nasty bite to it, slider wasn’t bad either just not as filthy as the curve. I guess -1.5 about as good as any way to back them, I remember Brubaker made his 1st big league start against us and I was super impressed, since then cards have pretty much mashed him every time they have faced him! I was thinking Ff -.5 since pretty big starting pitcher discrepancy but not sure it worth the extra juice compared to -1,5 for game?

Back