Spring Notes

SHSUHorn

Thief
We can start a thread on notes anyone is hearing about their teams like injuries, academic casualties, transfers, etc...

On Texas they had a huge HS JR day recently and got 19 committments by March 1st which has to be some kind of record. Since the Rose Bowl win over Michigan they have been almost picking who ever they want in the state of Texas and giving the rest to OU, A&M, and LSU.

Second string QB John Chiles has switched to WR this spring. This assures now that incoming freshman Garrett Gilbert will not redshirt and will probably beat out Sherrod Harris as second string behind Mccoy. Gilbert is probably the best passing QB to ever come out of the state and broke nearly every passing record.

South Carolina:

DT Ladi Ajiboye is not currently with the team. He is going to be a junior and has started the last 2 years. Big loss if he doesn't get his personal life straightened out. Details are being kept under wraps but doesn't seem to be academic at the moment.

RG Heath Batchelor is expected back with the team in June. He left the team about WK4 to deal with some personal issues.

Both are important players

Nebraska:

Patrick Witt, Joe Ganz's backup this past year elected to transfer. That means the QB job will be between Juco Zac Lee who was the 3rd team guy this year, RS Frosh Kody Spano, or true frosh Cody Green who is enrolled right now for Spring ball.

LOCKER PROGRESSING, REMINDS SARK OF PALMER

Posted by John Taylor on March 9, 2009, 6:11 p.m.
After missing the last eight games of the 2008 season with a broken thumb, quarterback Jake Locker is close to 100% healthy according to his head coach.
Additionally, Steve Sarkisian — in his first year at Washington — laid a heavy compliment and potential burden on the talented but enigmatic QB: A comparison to a Heisman <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_57_0">Trophy </nobr>winner.
It’s very similar to me of the same stage where Carson <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_60_0">Palmer</nobr> was at USC heading into his fourth year,” Sarkisian told the Seattle Times about his time on the <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_62_0">Trojans </nobr>coaching staff.
“He had played a lot of football but he still had a lot to learn and was willing to learn. I think Jake has had a great attitude about it, is willing to learn and wants to learn and wants to be great.”
As for the thumb, Sarkisian says Locker has been working with his wide receivers in drills sans the watchful eyes of coaches and “feels really good and all the reports back are really good.
“We are excited where he is and he has three more weeks here until spring ball when we will be able to get a really fair evaluation of him.”

Can UDub progress enough in Sarkisian's 1st year and become a Live Dog?

Horn, how do you feel about the Chiles switch? I liked the change of pace when he was in the game..his running ability is underrated.

if Locker is healthy, they could win a few.

if Sarkisian can regain what was once a great HFA...we could make some $$$ betting UDub as large home dogs....:shake:

Even though their HC is the ultimate scumbag...Arkansas another team on-the-rise that could be good dog material? Maybe this year's Ole Miss?

Ryan Mallett, Arkansas, QB: Next to JaMarcus Russell, this guy has the strongest arm of any quarterback playing football at any level. But does the Michigan transfer have the maturity to win the Hogs' quarterback job? After his recent arrest for public intoxication, Mallett is now under curfew and other disciplinary issues, according to coach Bobby Petrino.

"He's going to get up at 6 o'clock in the morning every day," Petrino told Wholehogsports.com. "There's going to be an 11 o'clock curfew for him the rest of this semester. He's going to be in real good condition. He's going to be able to run after every time he lifts. The morning workout's at 6, so he'll be on the bike, or working on foot quickness or doing up-downs. There's certainly that aspect we're going to do, then there's going to be some community service involved in it. Ryan's going to do well, I think."

Kudos if Houston's fantastic Frosh receiver recovers from that horrific injury:

HOUSTON RECEIVER’S RETURN FROM BROKEN LEG ON SCHEDULE

Posted by Keith Arnold on March 10, 2009, 12:56 a.m.
When we last saw him, Patrick Edwards was getting hauled off the field, the victim of a horrific injury that gave Alvin Mack’s broken leg in The Program a run for the money. After a promising start to his freshman season, Edwards went full speed out of the back of the end zone into a cart that was improperly stored right behind the end line. Replays definitely weren’t for the squeamish. At the time, many worried that the Edwards’ promising career was over after he suffered the compound fracture to his lower right leg.
It is nothing but good news then with this report from ESPN.com blogger Graham Watson, who tells us that when Houston starts spring practice on March 24th, they will do so with Patrick Edwards participating. While Edwards isn’t ready to go full speed, he’ll take part in non-contact drills with the squad, and it’s looking more and more like he’ll return to the field next season.
It’s a miracle in modern medicine that Edwards will see the field again.
(I’m sure Marshall’s lawyers have to be pretty relieved as well…)

Last edited:
Mully..Arkansas will be a great team to bet on..they improved a LOT as year went on...a serious darkhorse imo...gotta buddy of mine that's been betting SEC football for a long time and I asked him point blank what's the team to watch out for and bet on in 09..he told me Arky with no hesitation. Mallet will be a changed man by fall.

Nebraska:

Patrick Witt, Joe Ganz's backup this past year elected to transfer. That means the QB job will be between Juco Zac Lee who was the 3rd team guy this year, RS Frosh Kody Spano, or true frosh Cody Green who is enrolled right now for Spring ball.

Cody Green is going to be a good one for you guys. He didn't get alot of pub because the state was so deep at QB this past season. Watch out for this kid.

Horn, how do you feel about the Chiles switch? I liked the change of pace when he was in the game..his running ability is underrated.

He ended up bulking up too much when he got to Texas and didn't have that wiggle he had in HS. He's trying to slim down and I wish he would take a RS to learn the position even though he did play it two years in HS.

I like the switch because Sherrod Harris is still a capable backup and Garrett Gilbert was going to be the starter regardless when Colt Mccoy moves on. The question this fall is will Gilbert RS or will he win the backup job from Harris.

Either way Texas is in a world of hurt if Mccoy goes down.

Cody Green is going to be a good one for you guys. He didn't get alot of pub because the state was so deep at QB this past season. Watch out for this kid.

he's getting the pub up here, believe me. everyone is very excited about this kid.

LSU Notebook: More questions than answers at quarterback

By Glenn Guilbeau • gguilbeau@gannett.com • March 14, 2009 <script type="text/javascript" src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js" badgetype="text"> http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090314/SPORTS0202/903140349 &nbsp</script>
BATON ROUGE — The media has been playing quarterback as much as the quarterback prospects at LSU lately.
<!--individual: 11 numChar :2050
--><!--
TOTAL ELEMENTS IN ARRAY: 20
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN ARRAY: 3649
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN PAGES: 2050
LAST PAGE CONTAINS: 1599
--><script type="text/javascript" language="Javascript">var numDivs ="2";if (GDN.Cookie.Exists("GCIONSN") ) { var GPCookie = GDN.Cookie.Get('GCIONSN'); var GPvalueEncData= GDN.Base64.Decode(GPCookie); var GPvalueDecData= GPvalueEncData.match(/GPvalue:([\w\@\.\-\%\|]+)/i); if(PaginationArticleCookie != PaginationArticleUrl || GPvalueDecData == null || GPvalueDecData[1] == 'undefined' || typeof(GPvalueDecData[0]) == 'undefined') { var saxoNextPage = "903140349%7C2%7C2"; var saxoPreviousPage = "903140349%7C1%7C2"; } } else { var saxoNextPage = "903140349%7C2%7C2"; var saxoPreviousPage = "903140349%7C1%7C2"; } </script>
The most popular questions leading up to spring practice and after two days of drills have been about the position. Will you name a starter by the end of spring practice? Who would be your starter if there was a game tomorrow? Will Russell Shepard get a look at another position?
And the quarterback position has no entrenched starter and no one who has played well on the collegiate level for a significant amount of time. Jordan Jefferson is the most recent starting quarterback as he finished the 2008 season as the starter, but he had only two starts and is going through his first spring drills as a true freshman. Jarrett Lee started eight games last season as a redshirt freshman, but he lost the job to Jefferson after throwing 16 interceptions, including an NCAA record eight that were returned for touchdowns.
Russell Shepard, the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the nation out of Cypress Ridge High in Houston, graduated early, enrolled and is going through spring drills along with fellow true freshman Chris Garrett of Tupelo, Miss.

LSU coach Les Miles keeps explaining the position the same way, but the questions keep coming.
"We'll allow competition to play out," Miles has said repeatedly. He had not referred to Jefferson as the starter until pressed with the "if you had a game tomorrow," question.
"But if we had to play a game absolutely," he said.
Then again, Miles said he can win with a veteran quarterback like Jefferson or Lee, though neither is a very experienced veteran, or a newcomer.
"It really is based upon, in my opinion, the style of guy you got," he said. "You can win with both."
As of now, Jefferson and Lee are ahead partly because Shepard and Garrett are just now putting their helmets on.
"Jordan and Jarrett are really more comfortable with the offense and really made a lot of good throws," he said.
As far as Shepard getting a look at running back or receiver, Miles has usually said that won't happen this spring.

Miles keeps getting asked about Shepard playing another position, though, and on Thursday, he seemed to alter his stance.
<script language="JavaScript">trigg</script>"I don't know. As we look at time frames, I don't think we'll do a thing but have him get comfortable at quarterback for the first three practices," he said. "If we choose to look at a couple other things, at that point in time is where it will take place."

DEFENSIVE LINE: LSU lost more players on the defensive line after last season than at any time this decade. Starting ends Tyson Jackson and Kirston Pittman and sometimes starting tackles Ricky Jean-Francois and Marlon Favorite were seniors last season as was backup defensive end Tremaine Johnson.
"So there's plenty of room on the line now," defensive tackle Drake Nevis said. "There'll be some new faces for a change."
The first team defensive line for the most part the last two days has had Rahim Alem and Lazarius "Pep" Levingston at the ends and Al Woods and Drake Nevis at the tackles. Senior Charles Alexander has also been working with the first team at tackle.
NO NEW LINEBACKERS: New defensive coordinator John Chavis and Miles have both said that some of LSU's safeties may be converted to outside linebacker this spring as Chavis did that often when he was at Tennessee.
After two days, though, no safeties have been given a look at outside linebacker. Miles did say Thursday that Danny McCray and Harry Coleman were good prospects for such a move.

Davis gone from UF

By Robbie Andreu Published: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 9:47 p.m. Last Modified: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 9:47 p.m.
<!-- /PUBDATE -->
For the past week or so, the Internet message boards have been abuzz about the tenuous status of junior Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis.

<!--
AC =
--> <!-- GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT--> <!-- /GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT--> Is he still on the team? Has he been suspended for the spring? Is there any chance he'll be around in the fall?
Well, the speculation can end now.
UF spokesman Steve McClain confirmed Friday night that the troubled Davis has left the program. He is not expected to return.
No reason for his departure was given, but the decision to leave was his.
Davis has had problems throughout his career at Florida, academically and in terms of buying into the demands of the coaching staff.
He played very little this past season, but came around enough to earn playing time in the Gators' national championship victory over Oklahoma in Miami. He made one of the plays of a game, a tackle for a loss on and fourth-and-goal play from the 1-yard line late in the first half.
Now, it looks like that will be the only play he will be remembered for in his UF career.

UF coach Urban Meyer could not be reached for comment.
Coming out of Seffner Armwood High School in 2007, Davis was rated the No. 1 prospect in Florida and the ninth-best prospect in the nation by Rivals.com.
He saw limited playing time as a true freshman in 2007. He was expected to challenge for a starting role this past season, but he was no factor for most of the year.

South Carolina:

DT Ladi Ajiboye is not currently with the team. He is going to be a junior and has started the last 2 years. Big loss if he doesn't get his personal life straightened out. Details are being kept under wraps but doesn't seem to be academic at the moment.

RG Heath Batchelor is expected back with the team in June. He left the team about WK4 to deal with some personal issues.

Both are important players

Well the Ajiboye story finally broke, dumb ass he is. Still not back with the team, a lot of uncertainty surrounding it still.

RG Heath Batchelor will be back in time for August camp, huge news.

CB CC. Whitlock is on his way out. Very talented kid with more baggage than an American Airlines flight. Failing out of school, 3 kids with 3 different women, problems back where he lives... This one is going to hurt a lot. SC lost their top 3 corners this year and CC would of been in the rotation for sure, if not a starter.

Cincinnati spring notes:

This should definitely be an "over" team early on:

Looking ahead to spring practice
Posted by BKoch at 3/25/2009 2:37 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Spring football practice begins Tuesday for UC and there’s plenty to keep an eye on. The Bearcats are virtually starting over on defense after losing 10 starters from last year. They’ll switch from a 4-3 alignment to a 3-4 and will operate under new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco. I’m very curious to see how Demetrius Jones does in his switch from quarterback to linebacker. If it works out, UC will have two former quarterbacks playing on defense. Craig Carey, the former Elder High School quarterback, was switched to defensive end last year. A year ago, the Bearcats didn’t know who their quarterback would be. Would Ben Mauk get his sixth year from the NCAA? Would Jones have a shot at the starting job or would it be Dustin Grutza? There are no such question marks this year, with Tony Pike entering the spring not only as UC’s starter but as one of the top returning quarterbacks in the league. I’m looking forward to seeing more of sophomore running back Isaiah Pead, who averaged 6.5 yards per carry last season in limited action. He’s probably UC’s most talented running back.

I’m curious to see if some of the recruits from Brian Kelly’s second class are ready to make an impact, players like defensive back Dominque Battle, linebacker J.K. Schaffer from La Salle High School and defensive tackle Derek Wolfe. I’m scheduled to meet with Kelly tomorrow morning to find out how he sizes things up for this spring and how well-equipped he thinks this team is to repeat as Big East champs.

LSU Tigers defense dominates football scrimmage

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/about.html"]James Varney, The Times-Picayune[/URL] March 21, 2009 10:47PM

Categories: football
BATON ROUGE -- Continuing a back-and-forth that has been typical of spring practice, the defense got the better of the offense in an extended scrimmage Saturday, according to Coach Les Miles.
"You can tell it's early in the spring, we're not sharp, we're not ready to play," he said. "But I can tell you there's a lot of enthusiasm, and I liked the way the defense played today. I felt like they played with a chip on their shoulder."
That attitude sprang in part from Thursday drills in which the offense clearly beat the defense, players said. Miles credited superior secondary play, again singling out safety Chad Jones and a strong effort by the defensive line for the clear-cut defensive victory.

"I really liked the way the defensive front played today, they showed up today with some scheme which, in the past, they may not have," Miles said.
The scrimmage focused on third-down situations but also featured first downs. The team will have two more progressively longer scrimmages and then conclude offseason drills with the spring game in Tiger Stadium on April 18.
"A long practice but a short go," as Miles described the 48-play scrimmage in which first team went against first team and seconds went against seconds.
The depth chart exceptions came at quarterback, where each of four scholarship signal-callers took 12 snaps, and in the backfield, where Charles Scott, Keiland Williams and Richard Murphy all played tailback, Miles said. All spring, Miles has been at pains not to name certain players starters in an effort to intensify competition.
The offensive issues Saturday were not confined to the glamour positions, however. Instead, Miles attributed the unit's intermittent success to the search for a new center in addition to the inexperience of freshman quarterbacks Russell Shepard and Chris Garrett.
The most likely starter at center this fall, sophomore T-Bob Hebert, is not participating in contact this spring as he rebounds from knee surgery. In his absence Saturday, the team relied chiefly on P.J. Lonergan and Will Blackwell.
"I think the offense was struggling a little bit with a new center and did not quite have the rhythm that they normally do," Miles said.
At quarterback, Miles said the Tigers, "could be further along." But by allowing, "the young guys," -- Shepard and Garrett -- extensive snaps, the team has cut the time available to returning sophomore signal-caller Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee -- "the old guys," in Miles' words.
"But both Jefferson and Lee look like they've been in the system, and they look like they're ready to play, " he noted. "Both of the young guys are still a ways away, though both of the young guys made plays today, some nice throws and some nice runs."
All of which may accelerate, Miles hinted, Shepard moving toward a role many expect him to assume -- that of the electrifying playmaker. Shepard's future at LSU, particularly if wide receiver/sprinter Trindon Holliday pursues a pro career in track, may lie in the receiving corps, and as a player who takes snaps in a shotgun formation and creates space.
"There'll be some things we try as we go forward that will get him out of the quarterback spot to some degree," Miles said.
DUGAS BANGED UP: Richard Dugas, a walk-on offensive lineman from Nebraska that the team was experimenting with at fullback, was injured in Saturday's scrimmage, according to Miles.
Dugas lined up in the backfield with the first unit but was unable to finish the scrimmage after suffering an unspecified "nick," Miles said. Miles offered no further details and said the extent of the injury wasn't clear yet.
It was the only injury suffered Saturday. Earlier the team lost redshirt sophomore running back Stevan Ridley to a knee injury. Ridley will not be able to return until the fall.
GOING GREEN: With the exception of quarterbacks, who always wear them and basically are untouchable at practice, a green jersey means a player is in some kind of rehab mode and thus off limits to tackling.
But that is not the case this spring with Holliday, who wears green, Miles said, because he is "planning to run track and win a national event here in the outdoor track season."
Freshman running back Drayton Calhoun, on the other hand, wore a green jersey because of a minor nick. Calhoun unexpectedly assumed a bigger role in the offense after Ridley went out.
"He was going to be able to go, but we just don't want him whacked," Miles said.
In addition to Hebert, the only other green jersey worn this spring because of recuperation is on the back of sophomore linebacker Shomari Clemons.
SPECIAL EXTENSION: Anthony Zehyoue, a defensive backup on the 2007 national championship team and a graduate student at LSU, and his family have been granted a special visa extension that will allow them to remain in the United States with refugee status for at least one more year.
The family fled the internecine civil war in Liberia, and in 1991 received temporary protective status that has been renewed several times. The most recent extension was set to expire March 31, but another extension was approved by President Obama.

D$ and Nawlins:

Great posts...early leans for '09...Cinci over and LSU under.

Mully :cheers:

I was thinking the same thing. Leaning under for LSU games. There defense knows they must be stingy for a chance. Only concern for me about LSU is there linebackers. The coaches are talking about converting safeties to play LB's.Thats never good. LSU may be in some trouble this season and just may not make a major bowl depending just how strong the SEC will be.Florida will win it again without a doubt. Probably Florida and Bama for the SEC Ship.

LSU Tigers defensive coordinator Chavis brings change of season

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/about.html"]James Varney, The Times-Picayune[/URL] March 26, 2009 10:04PM

BATON ROUGE -- Not every LSU player stood out in 2008, but when it came to the kind of cohesion a team needs to excel, one thing stood out: The defense wasn't good enough.
Out of 119 teams the NCAA puts in the game's top tier, LSU was 32nd in total defense last season. Against the pass, the Tigers plummeted to No. 73, but against the rush they fared better, coming in at No. 17.
What's a coach in Baton Rouge to do? Why, turn to Knoxville, of course.
LSU Coach Les Miles swooped up longtime Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis after the Volunteers cleaned house on the heels of a shocking losing season. But it would be hard to blame Chavis for Rocky Top's cracks: Tennessee's defense finished tied for No. 3 in the nation in total defense in 2008, and ranked 12th against the rush and fourth against the pass.

Chavis' expertise isn't something the LSU defenders have had an easy time explaining this spring, but all of them speak of a tangible difference. At practice, the atmosphere is reminiscent of the Bo Pelini era, but the only Tiger left on the roster who would remember said it harkens back to an even earlier period.
"More like (Nick) Saban," sixth-year defensive tackle Charles Alexander said.
Perhaps the two most readily understood changes are that the players understand they have a clean slate, and Chavis will demand more of those he puts on the field. The sort of permanent shuffle LSU showed on defense last year, as the Tigers sought the optimal matchup advantage on every play, is over and with it is a new defensive clarity, according to several players.
In other words, the competition is on, and the best-rounded player has the edge.
"Because we've got a new coach everyone is trying to make a point, and everyone is trying to get on the field," junior safety Danny McCray said. "You're trying to move as fast as you can and do your best on every play just so you can get looked at."
For the most part, Chavis employs a 4-3 scheme. Up front, senior defensive end Rahim Alem said the emphasis on technique remains similar to last year's but that now the staff is instilling an attitude built on "effort, hustle and pursuing the ball." Those qualities may seem those a good coach takes for granted, but Alem insisted they assume even more priority under Chavis.
"We're much more of an attack defense, you know, going downhill," he said. "Last year we were like that in theory, but we didn't actually play like that."
This spring, Alem has been flanked at defensive end on the first unit by junior Lazarius Levingston. Like McCray, Levingston said he welcomes the freshness of things.
"I'm hungry, the whole team is hungry, the defense is extremely hungry," Levingston said. "It's a different energy, it's fast tempo, everything is just speed, speed, speed."
With three linebackers deployed perhaps more often than they are in modern defenses that quickly shift to nickel and dime packages, there is more focus in the Chavis defense on linebackers. That focus is perhaps unsurprising, given that is the position he coaches, too. That means outside linebackers Perry Riley and Kelvin Sheppard, currently penciled in as the starters but under intense scrutiny, according to Miles, will be asked to do more than they were last season.
Miles hinted Thursday that now and then the coaches have moved a safety into one of those outside spots, a cryptic reference that could refer to McCray or free safety Chad Jones, who presents a blitz and coverage combo that Chavis prized at Tennessee. Senior Jacob Cutrera, starting middle linebacker, characterized the unit as one under considerably more scrutiny than it was last year.
"He's not as laid-back; he'll get on you if you make a mistake, and we need that," Cutrera said.
Jones has spoken this spring about how comfortable he is at free safety, a position in which he became a major force during LSU's convincing Chick-fil-A Bowl victory over Georgia Tech.
"I feel that's my natural position," he said.
Jones -- Alem's brother -- is equally taken with the new defensive strategies.
"We're jumping routes much quicker, more aggressive type defense. Get to the ball, get to the ball -- we've done that before, but they're putting much more emphasis on it."
Eve of destruction?
A storm some claim was a tornado ripped through Baton Rouge in the pre-dawn hours Thursday and damaged, among other things, LSU's indoor practice facility.
Above midfield, the roof's iron slates were twisted and smashed, making it look as if an amusement park ride had been dumped on top of the cavernous, corrugated building. Rain fell over a large part of the field, a concern because the indoor facility is not equipped with any drainage or pumping capability.
There also were downed fences around the Charles McClendon practice fields.
Although damage was widespread throughout Baton Rouge and some neighborhoods remained without power late Thursday, Miles was incredulous the indoor facility had been touched.
"This building has been such a rock, " he said. "I mean Katrina, Rita, Gustav -- you know, virtually everything that's come along and then this one hit us pretty good."

LSU quarterback Shepard to play various roles in Saturday's scrimmage

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/about.html"]James Varney, The Times-Picayune[/URL] March 26, 2009 8:08PM

LSU head coach Les Miles gave perhaps his strongest indication to date Thursday evening that star recruit Russell Shepard may be used this fall as something other than a quarterback.
"I know with the ball in his hands he makes people miss and that's what we're really trying to accomplish," Miles said.

Miles hasn't exactly denied that point, but he prefers stressing a long-term picture in which he says Shepard will always have a hand in at quarterback. Still, in recent days this spring Miles has become less opaque on the issue and made it clear Shepard will also be getting touches in other situations.
LSU will hold an extended scrimmage, its longest thus far this spring, in Tiger Stadium on Saturday. Unlike the last scrimmage, in which each of four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster got 12 snaps, Miles hinted the roughly 85 to 90 plays slated for Saturday will not be divided equally.
"All four will have the opportunity to play, I don't know that it'll be equal," he said after a rain-shortened practice Thursday. "And one quarterback may take a snap or two at other positions, so just to look at it."
Miles did not use Shepard's name but there was no question about which of the four signal callers he referring to. Prior to spring football, Miles acknowledged there was, "a percentage likelihood," that Shepard would be used as the kind of playmaker that Percy Harvin was at Florida.
Although Shepard has never been at any position other than quarterback at that sliver of practice Miles opens to reporters, the freshman from Texas has been used in other slots already.
'No, no, we've thrown him a couple of routes and we're advancing his little niche," Miles said. "He can catch and he still makes people miss. So, good. You know, it's interesting, he has to be an advantage for us and right now we're trying to find out if he's an advantage as a receiver or not."

Interested in seeing Russell play after all i read about him...

btw...Jump says he is loving UM about 8-3 this year...straight outta buckeye nation

Kelly plans to unleash full force of offense this year
Posted by BKoch at 3/27/2009 2:52 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

This could be the year Brian Kelly unleashes the full impact of his no-huddle, spread offense.

The Bearcats were hampered offensively last year by injuries that forced them to use four different quarterbacks – five if you count the brief appearance in one game by Demetrius Jones.

With the revolving door at quarterback and a running game that never reached the level of efficiency that Kelly hoped for, the Bearcats were relatively conservative on offense, relying on a veteran defense and All-American punter Kevin Huber to carry the day.

Huber is gone and the defense will feature 10 new starters. But this year, senior Tony Pike, the established starter at quarterback as spring practice begins on Tuesday, has the potential to be the best passer in the Big East Conference.

Kelly is determined to take advantage of that.

“I want to find the best way to win,” Kelly said. “Last year the best way to win was 13-10 against Rutgers. It might be 52-50 this year. If that’s the case, we’re prepared to go down that road and we think we’ve got the weapons to do it.”

UC averaged 370.6 yards and 25.9 points last season, a significant dropoff from the 434 yards and 36.3 points the Bearcats averaged in 2007.

One of the reasons for the dropoff, Kelly said, was the relative lack of big plays. It was the lowest in eight years for me,” Kelly said.

To improve in that category, Kelly will give long looks during the spring to sophomore running back Isaiah Pead and redshirt freshman Darrin Williams, both of whom, he believes, have the capacity to break big plays that Jacob Ramsey and John Goebel lacked last season.

“We think that Darrin Williams and Isaiah Pead can bring big plays to our offense,” Kelly said, “whether it’s catching it or running it, so they’ve really got to get long, hard looks until we figure out what they can do. We know what John can do and Ramsey’s going to be limited after shoulder surgery to more seven on seven. It’s a great opportunity. You’re going to see a lot of Darrin Williams and Isaiah Pead.”

Mike Leach is a (take no BS) Genius

TECH RECEIVER FORCED TO SPEND PRACTICE STUDYING… ON THE SIDELINES

Posted by Keith Arnold on March 28, 2009, 5:36 p.m.
Mike <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_17_0">Leach </nobr>has solidifying his spot in the upper echelon of coaches, both with his offensive ingenuity and his superbly wonderful antics. News comes from Lubbock that Edward Britton, Texas Tech’s most experienced wide receiver was demoted before spring practice.
It wasn’t for his production on the field last season, where he caught 35 balls for 577 yards and 6 touchdowns, but for his inability to stay on top of his school work.
“Ed didn’t like showing up and studying at places I felt like he needed to and like the academic people asked him to, so he can go study out there on the 50-yard line,” Leach said.
And that’s exactly what Britton did.
On a 30 degree day with snow flurries, Britton spent 90 minutes sitting on the double-T logo at midfield of Jones AT&T Stadium.
“We’ll take baby steps, and if he does good studying out there, we’ll decide if we’re going to actually let him practice.”
Leach had Britton stay out in the cold studying for at least an hour and a half after the rest of the Red <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_27_0">Raiders</nobr> went in for the day.
That’s definitely my favorite punishment of the year so far, and just another one of the things that Leach does that makes him so good for college football.

Back