• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Spek... dfresh....

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
And any other Niners fans.

I feel for ya guys. I've been with ya for 3 of these runs and felt the heartbreak on futures. I know how great this run has been and to lose in this fashion is brutal.

Is there any blame? I honestly don't think so. The 4th and 3 call was so ballsy. I honestly thought that was going to be the play we talked about afterwards as the pivotal play.

The defense played as good as they have in awhile. The early injury didn't help, obviously.

Anyways, simply put, a generational QB made the plays that he makes. Nothing more, nothing less.

SF probably wins 6 of 10 these two play. Tonight was just the one that got away.

Anyways, I know this sucks, just wanted to put the word out.

Feel free to vent here when you feel like posting.

Tough one for sure SF backers. Felt like I had the wrong side most of the game. Thought Shanahan coached a pretty good game and my opinion of him has changed this season. That was ballsy as hell passing up the tying FG after MCDC got so heavily criticized for doing something similar and failing in the champ game.

Mahomes is just incredible. I watched helplessly as TB12 did this to the Steelers year after year. Silver lining is that we are getting to watch probably the 2 GOATs (Brady and Mahomes) during our lifetime.

Side note: Mahomes/ Reid and Brady/Belichick get all the credit, but let’s not overlook the importance of having a great kicker. Butker and Vinatieri …come on man…these guys have ice in their veins.

When the 9ers had the ball with under 3 minutes remaining game tied, McCaffery runs to make it 2nd and 4 and SF never runs him again to ice it? Instead they threw twice knowing Spags would sell out his defense to make stops if Purdy dropped back? Shanahan never put the ball back in McCafferys hands to ice it. KC never should have had the ball back. That’s where it was lost in my eyes.

Impossible to think we lost another SB on a muffed punt off someone’s foot.

Law had that defense cooking and he blows his Achilles walking on to the field?

They won’t be back next year without him a the SB hangover.

Defense was lights out other than the 15 yard field the special teams gave up.

When the 9ers had the ball with under 3 minutes remaining game tied, McCaffery runs to make it 2nd and 4 and SF never runs him again to ice it? Instead they threw twice knowing Spags would sell out his defense to make stops if Purdy dropped back? Shanahan never put the ball back in McCafferys hands to ice it. KC never should have had the ball back. That’s where it was lost in my eyes.

Should have played to end the game.

Didn't understand it. See it the same.

Said the same thing out loud. Ram-it-down-their-throats. The D Line was obviously gassed, SF O line had the momentum, made no sense.

Same thing happened in OT. CMC makes the long run after catch. First down he runs for another 7-8 yards then asks for a sub because he’s gassed. They should have called a TO. Instead they give it to Mitchell on second down for no yards. CMC comes back for third down and they throw it over Jennings head resulting in a FG. I knew Mahomes was gonna get a TD. CMC has to get three runs in those situations in my opinion.

I wasn’t a fan of the game plan on offense by the Niners. Way too much shotgun. Took the play action right out of the game. CMC should have gotten 35 carries.

The fact the Niners players didn’t know the OT rules were different in the playoffs (I’m not sure how that’s even possible after the Bills/Chiefs and the way it was talked about), and the fact that the Niners as a team didn’t even discuss the possibility of OT and what to do if they win the toss is pathetically bad. Shanahan should be roasted incessantly for that fuck up alone.

By the way, the Chiefs players said they talked about it often, and their plan was to go for 2 if the Niners took the ball, scored a TD, and then the Chiefs went down and scored.

Reporting after the game was that Shanahan decided with his analytics guys that they wanted the ball first because they wanted to have the third possession. Of course, as jedi ninja said, the Chiefs had already decided they would go for two on a TD, so the only way the Niners would get a third possession is if both teams punted or kicked FGs.

Terrible strategy decision by Shanahan. Not running on 2nd and 3rd down with a chance to salt away the game was also bad. And not getting Kittle more involved was at best curious. In the end it seemed like the Niners shot their shot in the first half, did not do enough to force a game script change, then the Chiefs found their footing in the 2nd half and had a couple of extra plays in their playbook to take it home. The Chiefs changed tactics with Greenlaw out and started taking the quick hitters underneath to the TE more to move the sticks. The RPO runs by Mahomes in the second half caught the Niners totally by surprise, and the TD to Hardman was a repeat from last year's Super Bowl. And when MVS scores a TD you know its your day......and he still did some self-sabotage in OT converting a four-yard gain into a four-yard loss.

Can't say I'm sad to see the Niners fail yet again but hey at least you're getting there.

BTW talk about going against type and why gambling is so damn hard.....the Chiefs 16 points in the 2nd half were their 2nd best output of the season, behind a 17 point 2nd half over Thanksgiving weekend that also happened at Allegient against the Raiders. Who's gonna predict that?

Same thing happened in OT. CMC makes the long run after catch. First down he runs for another 7-8 yards then asks for a sub because he’s gassed. They should have called a TO. Instead they give it to Mitchell on second down for no yards. CMC comes back for third down and they throw it over Jennings head resulting in a FG. I knew Mahomes was gonna get a TD. CMC has to get three runs in those situations in my opinion.

I wasn’t a fan of the game plan on offense by the Niners. Way too much shotgun. Took the play action right out of the game. CMC should have gotten 35 carries.
One correction here.

Mitchell picked up the first down but they called holding.

So 2nd and twelve.

BTW talk about going against type and why gambling is so damn hard.....the Chiefs 16 points in the 2nd half were their 2nd best output of the season, behind a 17 point 2nd half over Thanksgiving weekend that also happened at Allegient against the Raiders. Who's gonna predict that?
Well, as someone who played double digit 2h chiefs unders, you're absolutely right in not predicting a high scoring 2h

Although

Different circumstances here due to deficit and stage.

Funny thing about that 2h from Thanksgiving weekend vs LV... a holding call wiped out a late TD and KC kicked a FG to go under the 2h total just barely.

Reporting after the game was that Shanahan decided with his analytics guys that they wanted the ball first because they wanted to have the third possession. Of course, as jedi ninja said, the Chiefs had already decided they would go for two on a TD, so the only way the Niners would get a third possession is if both teams punted or kicked FGs.

Terrible strategy decision by Shanahan. Not running on 2nd and 3rd down with a chance to salt away the game was also bad. And not getting Kittle more involved was at best curious. In the end it seemed like the Niners shot their shot in the first half, did not do enough to force a game script change, then the Chiefs found their footing in the 2nd half and had a couple of extra plays in their playbook to take it home. The Chiefs changed tactics with Greenlaw out and started taking the quick hitters underneath to the TE more to move the sticks. The RPO runs by Mahomes in the second half caught the Niners totally by surprise, and the TD to Hardman was a repeat from last year's Super Bowl. And when MVS scores a TD you know its your day......and he still did some self-sabotage in OT converting a four-yard gain into a four-yard loss.

Can't say I'm sad to see the Niners fail yet again but hey at least you're getting there.

For me, it's less about his decision and more about the fact that he apparently hadn't discussed it, or had gone over OT rules with his team AT ALL. How is that even possible? The Chiefs players said they literally starting talking about OT rules in the playoffs on DAY ONE of camp, and said they went over it and rehearsed it for the past 2 weeks.

How a coach/team can be so woefully unprepared for the biggest stage imaginable is inexcusable and should be concerning going forward for 49ers fans.

One correction here.

Mitchell picked up the first down but they called holding.

So 2nd and twelve.
Right. I realized my mistake after I wrote this.

Still. Should have called a TO there and gotten everyone rested and settled down in my opinion.

Should questions be asked at this point about Shanahan and his decisions in big games? He’s blown double digit leads in three super bowls. One as a coordinator and two as HC.

Should questions be asked at this point about Shanahan and his decisions in big games? He’s blown double digit leads in three super bowls. One as a coordinator and two as HC.

Questions. It’s who he is and no one thinks otherwise. He’s a walking billboard for collapses. But if that punt doesn’t get muffed off a toe I think they win and win going away. But he still had a chance and made silly play calls. He sort of ditched the run after the early fumble.

Also just something that crossed my mind multiple times last night. I did not feel as if it was a well played game by either side. Lots of mistakes and poor plays. I felt as if we were not watching the two best teams in the league.

Honestly thinking back about the sheer number of breaks both of these teams got to make it to the big game, it makes sense.

No doubt about it at this point. The questions will be out there until he wins a championship.

Spot on .
Shanahan has wasted more talent than any coach possibly ever imo ..
Just run the facking ball , guess he didn't learn anything from repeadly dropping Matt Ryan back in the massive sb choke .

Questions. It’s who he is and no one thinks otherwise. He’s a walking billboard for collapses. But if that punt doesn’t get muffed off a toe I think they win and win going away. But he still had a chance and made silly play calls. He sort of ditched the run after the early fumble.
Props for even coming into the thread...hell even getting on the Internet today

Monday after the Cards lost to the Steelers I didn't even open the shades or turn on the tv

Props for even coming into the thread...hell even getting on the Internet today

Monday after the Cards lost to the Steelers I didn't even open the shades or turn on the tv

It’s a horrible feeling. You had that game, too. These collapses are far worse than just loosing 31-14.

Reactions: KJ
The achilles was such a turning point

Kelce 1st half vs 2nd half stats without law helping cover

Romo was good about pointing that out right away too when the injury happened

Basically said to myself now we need to steal this one because we were absolutely dominating with him out there.

Not running on second down near the end of regulation was bad but what made it really bad to me was that this should have been a lesson learned by 9ers coach a long time ago. The sting of prior error regarding failure to run with Atlanta should have helped him do the right thing. He didn't learn his lesson.

I am not sure if the niners are the better team or not, I think we just know they were the better team yesterday. But in football, the team that plays better doesn't always win.

I think the niners rb isn't getting enough grief for his fumble.

The two niners injuries and a missed extra point are pretty tough pills to swallow, let alone the punt off the foot.

Also just something that crossed my mind multiple times last night. I did not feel as if it was a well played game by either side. Lots of mistakes and poor plays. I felt as if we were not watching the two best teams in the league.

Honestly thinking back about the sheer number of breaks both of these teams got to make it to the big game, it makes sense.
are the chiefs the worst regular season team to win a championship since the giants ?.........and then you could say the 49ers were the luckiest team in the postseason to make a super bowl in a while

Hard to feel for niners fans when they shouldn't of been in the super bowl in the first place

I think the "situation" favored the niners heavily - chiefs felt like they won the super bowl after beating ravens saying they beat the best team in the league... and niners were feeling like they played horrible

Chiefs win this game if played 2 weeks ago more often then not imo, niners looked better last night though

As a non-fan of either team, I thought it was a terrible game to watch through some vodka crooked eyes

Perfect example of why you should only go to a game like that if you're a fan, most likely it will be disappointing not watching it elsewhere and a lot of thousands less expensive.

are the chiefs the worst regular season team to win a championship since the giants ?
Under the Simple Rating System on profootballreference,com, the Chiefs rating is 3.7. Worse teams to win the Super Bowl:

2012 Ravens - 2.9 (Flacco hot hand)
2011 Giants - 1.6 (Eli to Manningham)
2007 Giants - 3.3 (Eli to Tyree)
1970 Baltimore Colts - 0.4 (had 7 turnovers and won)

That's it, that's the list.

Just woke up to the ESPN notification that multiple Niners players didn't know OT rules...what the actual fuck?

Pathetic. Imagine if they scored a TD they thought they would have won. Chiefs have meetings about this exact scenario. It’s the same coaching that didn’t do everything possible to run the clock out at the end. Throwing when the run was there all game.

Pathetic. Imagine if they scored a TD they thought they would have won. Chiefs have meetings about this exact scenario. It’s the same coaching that didn’t do everything possible to run the clock out at the end. Throwing when the run was there all game.
But CMC was inefficient on the ground especially after first drive? Chiefs were blitzing a lot and Purdy was doing well vs the blitz (per NextGenStats)

Agreed. More concerning than anything that happened last night, with them choosing the ball first in OT (which logically did make sense if you break it down), is the fact that SF didn’t prepare their players AT ALL for the OT scenario.

As you mentioned, and as I have a few times today, KC talked about the playoff OT rules on day one of training camp, and they talked about it and ran through scenarios for the 2 weeks leading up to the SB. One team was prepared and one team was woefully unprepared for OT as far as the rules go.

But CMC was inefficient on the ground especially after first drive? Chiefs were blitzing a lot and Purdy was doing well vs the blitz (per NextGenStats)

Just feel like it was 2nd and 4. You have 2, maybe 3 shots to pick up 4 yards. And they rarely ran to the left? No Debo end arounds. Need to run those plays and milk the clock regardless.

It’s a horrible feeling. You had that game, too. These collapses are far worse than just loosing 31-14.
I remember that drive home like it was yesterday. In Chandler so 35-40 minutes from home. No talk with the ex, no radio...just hard silence.

Biggest play of the game and unbelievably bad luck. I do think the Niners out played the Chiefs for most of the game, but had some amazing misfortune, much like the Lions 2 weeks ago. The gods were in KC's favor and I have no doubt they run it back for 3 next year. Just that kind of team, goes hand in hand with politics and fairy tales. I have never felt the NFL is as rigged as this year and it will continue at least another year. KC will be a much better team next year in the regular season imo. They'll get some more pieces.

Yes. A Complete momentum shift with the turnover at the SF 16 and KC had nothing going until then but FG's.

Later in 4th with
With 16 seconds to go at the SF 34 KC should have been called for a block in the back while SF player was chasing Kelce. Game over if that penalty gets called and moves KC back to the 49 with 9 seconds on the game clock. Game over. 19-16 SF.

Hard to see it because it was only on screen for a half second but its there on the rewind at 16 seconds on the game clock...

8 free KC points lost the game - along with Greenlaw gone.
Capped right but played without key player and turnovers decided it.
No other way lose it.

SF line on both side were great and dominated all game as noted all day by announcers till then - but those components I pointed out are the reason for losing.
Thats what happens in every game with scores off turnovers...
The SB was no different ...

On to next season...I still had a great winning season with no regrets. Only have 7 months to wait for next year!

Back