Southpaws

TheGarfather

Pretty much a regular
I still have no idea where that expression came from, but basically I want to make a list of starters or possible starting QBs that are lefties, simply because the blind side changes from LT to RT.

SEC- I don't believe there are any apart from Tebow. What about Mackenzie Adams? Chris Smelley?

Big Ten- Steven Threet? Nick Sheridan? Jake Christensen I think is. Allen Everidge I think is. Everyone else is a righty.

Haven't looked at other conferences yet.

Some of you will be able to do this off the top of your head instead of using youtube and so forth like I had to for a couple of these. LOL

Smelley is a right hander
Isn't that dude that looks like Napoleon Dynamite for Maryland a lefty?

I cannot comment on the SEC as a whole with certainty (other than Tebow being a southpaw), but I can say that Hatch and Lee are both righties for LSU.

How do you plan on using this angle?

A left-handed individual may be known as a southpaw, particularly in a sports context. It is widely accepted that the term originated in the United States, in the game of baseball.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-22>[23]</SUP> Ballparks are often designed so that right-handed batters are facing east, so that the afternoon or evening sun does not shine in their eyes. This means that left-handed pitchers are throwing with their south-side arm. However, the Oxford English Dictionary lists a non-baseball citation for "south paw", meaning a punch with the left hand, as early as 1848,<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-23>[24]</SUP> just three years after the first organized baseball game.
In boxing, someone who boxes left-handed is frequently referred to as southpaw. The term is also used to refer to a stance in which the boxer places the right foot in front of the left, so it is possible for a right-handed boxer to box with a southpaw stance. Most boxers, southpaw or otherwise, tend to train with sparring partners who adopt an orthodox stance which gives southpaws an advantage.
Some left-handed persons may find the term offensive, especially if the term is not used in the context of a players preffered hand in sports. This is partially due to the modern obscurity of the term outside of the Southern United States, where it is used more frequently than other areas, thus causing a perception of slander by those unfamiliar with the term.

This is an awesome idea, garfather. shit we are going to have the best fucking college football forum/info on the web this year.

will get to work on some of this.

fuck...I don't even know if any of the 3 schmoes trying out for the San Diego St job are lefties or not.

I still have no idea where that expression came from, but basically I want to make a list of starters or possible starting QBs that are lefties, simply because the blind side changes from LT to RT.

SEC- I don't believe there are any apart from Tebow. What about Mackenzie Adams? Chris Smelley?

Big Ten- Steven Threet? Nick Sheridan? Jake Christensen I think is. Allen Everidge I think is. Everyone else is a righty.

Haven't looked at other conferences yet.

Some of you will be able to do this off the top of your head instead of using youtube and so forth like I had to for a couple of these. LOL

Sheridan and Threat are righties. Christensen is lefty. Don't know Everidge.

Smelley, Beecher, & Garcia are all RH, all around 6'2-6'3 and 220lbs and all run a 4.7-4.75

Which one is going to be QB? Who the hell knows

Garcia is at most 0.05 seconds faster than Smelley or Beecher? For some reason I thought he was more of a running/dual style QB than the other 2.

Garcia is at most 0.05 seconds faster than Smelley or Beecher? For some reason I thought he was more of a running/dual style QB than the other 2.

yea he was rated as duel threat but these are winter testing numbers. Maybe he got off to a slow start, I don't know. I thought he would clock in the 4.6 range but guess not

I would say Garcia is the quickest of the bunch then Beecher then Smelley.

No doubt in my mind, Smelley has the least mobility of them all.

Mobility: Garcia, Beecher, Smelley
Arm Strength: Garcia, Beecher, Smelley
Brains: Beecher, Smelley Garcia
Experience: Smelley, Beecher, Garcia

Duel threat? Better not fuck with him then

Yeah I think you guys are going to have an interesting fall camp for sure. Very rarely does a team come in with three guys who all actually have a chance to be named the starter by the time the first game rolls around. My opinion is that Garcia probably gives you guys the chance to be great. If USC had the talent that Spurrier's Florida teams had then I think Smelley would be the guy b/c I feel like, well at least for his first few starts, he has shown that he can make the reads and just make the smart play. I really believe that Spurrier's offenses are really predicated on beating the defense with play calling and having his WR just simply be better than your defensive backs. His playcalling is also unbelievable. Basically, IMO, and you may disagree here but I think Spurrier is a little overrated as a QB coach but highly underrated as a playcaller. I'm not saying that he's not a great QB coach, b/c he certainly is but I think his play-calling won more games for him at UF than his QB did.

Here is what i found as far as the sunbelt is concerned. Some of these qb races are difficult to project out ( put the competitor in parenthesis if you want to check him out on your own )but i did the best i could. Also the Height and weight of the linemen are different by a few inches or pounds depending on which source you use at the time. These measurements came from varying sources. Also included my opinions where necessary as to the caliber of the lineman and how he projects out. Of course in most cases my opinion is influenced by source materials.

sunbelt conference

Florida atlantic
qb rusty smith -----throws right handed
blind side protected by returning starter LT SENIOR Brandon jackson 6-3 250 pounds ( projected to make some form of all conference honors )

Troy

qb jamie hampton -- throws left handed. ( comepetition still open for starting spot but he is favorite )
blind side protected by returning starter SENIOR RT Dion Small 6-3 317 pounds ( projected to make some form of all conference honors )

florida international

qb Wayne Younger -- throws right handed ( mccall )
blind side is protected by returing starter JUNIOR , LT Andy Leavine 6-5 295

north texas

qb giovanni vizza - throws right handed ( Dodge )
blind side protected by returning starter SOPHOMORE LT Matt Menard 6-4 272

middle tennessee state

qb craddock/dasher ( qb by committee is possible ) -- throws right handed
blind side is protected by returning starter JUNIOR LT mark thompson 6-4 301

lousiiana lafayette

qb michael desormeaux -- throws left handed
blind side is protected by returning starter SOPHOMORE RT jonathan decoster 6-4 299

arkansas state RED WOLVES ( bullshit they are the indians )

qb corey leanoard -- throws right handed ( coming off shoulder surgery backup Hewitt also throws right handed. )
blind side is protected by retunring starter SENIOR LT matt mandich 6-3 307 pounds. Mandich should be the best lineman in the entire sun belt conference and should someday be playing on sundays.

louisiana monroe

qb kinsmon lancaster -- throws right handed
blind side is protected by first time starter Junior LT Ryan Dercher 6-6 297 ( note the left guard is also a new starter , as is the center , as is the right guard. )

Everidge is a lefty. But he might not even win the starters job. Sherer is his competition but so far they are both playing like shit in spring

Duel threat? Better not fuck with him then

Yeah I think you guys are going to have an interesting fall camp for sure. Very rarely does a team come in with three guys who all actually have a chance to be named the starter by the time the first game rolls around. My opinion is that Garcia probably gives you guys the chance to be great. If USC had the talent that Spurrier's Florida teams had then I think Smelley would be the guy b/c I feel like, well at least for his first few starts, he has shown that he can make the reads and just make the smart play. I really believe that Spurrier's offenses are really predicated on beating the defense with play calling and having his WR just simply be better than your defensive backs. His playcalling is also unbelievable. Basically, IMO, and you may disagree here but I think Spurrier is a little overrated as a QB coach but highly underrated as a playcaller. I'm not saying that he's not a great QB coach, b/c he certainly is but I think his play-calling won more games for him at UF than his QB did.

haha where to start

Ok well, As of right now I should just be mentioning Smelley/Beecher because Garcia is suspended until Aug 15th. The truth in that is that he will actually be back by Aug 1st or a few days after. He has completed the neccessary steps in order to get back in the good graces and they always left the door open to having the suspension lifted early, ie: Aug 1st.

Now with Smelley, you have a QB who went 4-2 as a starter and lost his job in the Vandy game. He did hurt his shoulder in the ULL game on a blind side sack and had shoulder surgery in the offseason, he was not 100% in Spring. With that said, I was very unimpressed with his ability to make the passes we need to throw like the 15yd out and flag route. His deep ball looks like a lame duck half the time as well. Was it because his shoulder was hurt all yr? I don't know. There is some truth to that thought though. I do remember in the UK game that Erin Andrews said Smelley was telegraphing his passes and when your arm sucks you can't do that. He also make some poor decisions by forcing balls but what RS-Frosh won't?

With Beecher you have a QB who has a pretty strong arm and very little playing experience. He is very smart as is Smelley but I will be honest, I don't feel comfortable at all with him at the helm. He knows the playbook inside/out but his ability is limited. Now if the OL blocks, the RB finds holes, the defense stops people, then you don't need a John Elway, you need someone who won't make mistakes and I do think he can do that but not sure if he can win you the game.

With Garcia you have the blue-chip recruit who only has shown people he can throw the ball a million yards in a tight spiral. How much of the offense does he actually know? Has he grown up yet? Word on the street was that he didn't work as hard as he should of in the winter, he isn't making that same mistake now but you can only speculate on what he can do. Athletically gifted wise, he is the best of the 3 but there isn't much else I can say there. He has a whole lot to prove.

Now according to Spurrier, Beecher is the starter but he is playing Psychologist if you ask me. There was a feeling that Smelley felt some sort of entitlement to being the starter. He names Beecher the starter, he knows he will work hard in the off season to try and keep it. He names Smelley the backup and he gives him a reality check and he will work hard to come grab the spot. How could you name a starting QB based on a spring game where 1 QB threw 3 picks and the other threw 5? Prior to that, neither one had really pulled away.

I personally can not comment on how well Spurrier coaches QB's and I am not about to rip apart his play calling but I did feel at times he got away from what works. Spurrier JR is handling the play calling this yr but the final decision will be made by the HBC.

One thing is for sure, men will be open this year. McKinnley was really a 1 man show last year for most of the year and he is as reliable as it gets. The next 2 options are matchup nightmares for a defense, both TE's, Cook and Saunders. I think the base of the offense is going to change to a Double TE/Single Back formation if they show they can block. The 4th option in the pass offense will be a variety of different players including Lecorn, Moe Brown, Larry Freeman, Freddie Brown.

I think for the season to be a success, they don't need a QB to be all-world, they need him to manage the offense and not make mistakes. With the experience back on both sides and the improvements on ST, they should be in every game, its a matter of having a few bounces go their way and not pulling the same typical Carolina shit that always happens.

If I was making lines on the QB for the first game.

Smelly -150
Beecher -125
Garcia +110

I cannot comment on the SEC as a whole with certainty (other than Tebow being a southpaw), but I can say that Hatch and Lee are both righties for LSU.

How do you plan on using this angle?

A RT is far more important in an offense with a LH QB, whereas a LT is more important in an offense with a RH QB. Gotta protect that blind side.

vegaskyle, awesome stuff. I guess I actually knew Desormeux, but didn't know shit about Hampton. Thanks. And great job on adding info about the protector, that is equally important.

BC, this isn't an angle its just another piece of info to throw into the mixer. The LT/RT is just as important as knowing the DE lining up across from them. If you have an all-conference/all-american guy at LDE going up against a red-shirt freshman RT then there are going to be problems. You are definitely going to want to be even more aware of this if the QB is a lefty, because that is a sack and forced fumble waiting to happen.

Its also important because in such a scenario where the QB's blind-side is potentially vulnerable the coaching staff will put the TE over there to help block, and that usually more or less takes him out of the gameplan as a receiver. Sometimes if the DE can beat the double team they will even need to shift the running back to that side for a chip-block. So you may have a scenario where dealing with one guy uses up 3 of your offensive players and you can't win 8 vs. 10. We're just getting overly technical now, but see if you can find a tape of Andre Wadsworth vs. Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl (97 or 98, can't remember), he literally occupied 3 Buckeyes on some plays. Joe Germaine couldn't get off a pass, so they sent the FB and TE to help the RT, which in turned limited the receiving options and they were just fucked.

MWC

Air Force: Who knows. It's a huge battle for QB at this point. None of them can throw and all of them can run so I'm not sure it's really relevant.

BYU: Max Hall. Rightie.

CSU: Billy Farris should get the duties at QB and doesn't qualify.

NMU: Donovan Porterie. Rightie.

SDSU: Ryan Lindley. Another rightie.

TCU: Andy Dalton. Rightie.

UNLV: Omar Clayton (hopefully for UNLV) Right.

Wyoming: Dax Crum, Ian Hetrick, Karsten Sween?? Sween is a lefty. The rest are righties.

Utah: Brian Johnson. Rightie.

So only one lefty in the conference in Karsten Sween and that's only if he wins the job in WYO.

In the Pac 10, Olson is the only one i can think of that will definitely be a lefty starter.

udub - locker
asu - carpenter
sc - dirty sanchez
uofa - tuitama
cal - riley
stanford - pritchard
oregon - roper (altho i think the ducks have a frosh comin in out of texas. none of the qbs behind dixon were mobile last year so i wouldn't be surprised if the frosh ends up starting)

all of the above are righties.

wazzu has to replace brink, with whom tho i don't know.

Canfield at oregon state is a lefty but hes terrible and was battling with his backup to see who was worse alll season long.

I'd love to do one of these threads based on QB mobility. mobility at that position is obviously a huge x-factor, so getting a list put together of the most mobile qbs in the country could be very beneficial.

In the Pac 10, Olson is the only one i can think of that will definitely be a lefty starter.

olson is hardly a lock to start; first off, he's hurt (again) and second, Craft may beat him out anyway.

Oregon's QB will be actually be a guy named Nathan Costa assuming there is no rehab set-back. He damaged his knee in October in practice, if it hadn't been for that, Oregon would have played in the championship game against Ohio State because Costa was way more suited for this offense than Leaf, Roper, or Kempt. He has a good grasp of the offense (3 years in system) and has a tremendous amount of mobility, almost as much as Dixon. Spring was non-contact for him and RB Jeremiah Johnson and August might be the same, but that isn't known yet. He is a right-hander in any event.

Who knows what's going to happen with Canfield and Moevao, they're both just OK in my book I think the ceiling is reasonably low for each one and would look for a 3rd option to emerge in the next year or two.

horses, I don't think Craft is all that good is he? Maybe I'm just judging him based on his dad LOL.

Back